Laune Rangers – 1943


Mike Joy was Chairman of Laune Rangers Club and Sean Moriarty was Secretary/Treasurer. Paddy Foley was Vice-Chairman and Jack O Dwyer was a very active member.


Co. Senior/Intermediate Football Championships


9 teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship, Austin Stack’s, Castlegregory, Dingle, Castleisland, Kerins O Rahilly’s, Shannon Rangers, John Mitchel’s, South Kerry, Killarney.

The following took part in the Co. Intermediate Championship: Listry, Kenmare, Iveragh, Laune Rangers, Currow, Castlemaine, Castleisland, Ballymullen, Shannon Rangers, Ardfert, Dingle, Listowel. The competition was played on a knock-out basis. The Laune Rangers’ team consisted of players from Killorglin, Beaufort and Glenbeigh.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 2nd May at Cahersiveen: Iveragh 4-5; Laune Rangers 2-4.

The Rangers had much the better of the first moiety, in which they led by 2-2 to 0-1. The position was reversed in the second moiety, when Iveragh drew level after five minutes’ play and never looked back thereafter. M. Sweeney and Teddy O Connor had points and Kevin Foley a goal for the Rangers before Iveragh had their first minor per Bawner. Kevin Foley replied to that with another goal and Iveragh made desperate efforts to get through before the interval but failed against a solid defence and a good goalie.

In the second half, positional changes worked wonders in the Iveragh combination. C. Coughlan had their first point and when a ‘50’ found the net, they moved like a machine. Dowling and Fitzgerald had two majors and C. Coughlan, J. Barry and T. Donnelly a point each. Rangers attacked desperately to pull the lead down but had to be satisfied with two points per M. Sweeney. A final burst by the Iveragh men ended in T. Donnelly finding the net just before fulltime.

Laune Rangers Selection: Eddie West, Tom O Leary, Kevin Murphy, Kevin Foley, James Foley, Tim O Connell, John Moriarty, Paddy Mike Foley, John Foley, Michael O Grady, Eoin Costello, Eugie Joy, Teddy O Connor (all Killorglin), E. Ferris, M. Breen, Teddy Curran, M. Sweeney (all Beaufort), Andy O Sullivan (Glenbeigh), Sean Teahan (Stookisland), P. Moriarty, John Lyne (all Glenbeigh).

Iveragh Selection: Josie O Connell, Michael Dowling, Ted Curran, Johnny Curran, Seamus O Connor, Maurice Lynch, John Griffin (all St. Mary’s), B. Galvin, Muiris Fitzgerald, Johnny Walsh, T. Donnelly, J. O Shea (all Liberators), Charlie Coughlan, Brendan O Sullivan, Bernard Condon, Jim O Shea (all Young Islanders), Mike Kennedy, J. Kennedy, J. O Connor (Portmagee), M. Brennan, M. Curran (Ballinskelligs), J. Barry, J. McCarthy (Foilmore).

Ref – E. O Mahony.


Dingle, captained by Paddy Bawn Brosnan, won the Co. Senior Football Championship by defeating Castleisland in the final on Sun. 12th Sept. at Austin Stack Park, Tralee, on the score of 3-6 to 2-2.


Co. Intermediate Football Championship final on Sun. 17th Oct. at Tralee: Army 1-7; Currow 1-1.


East-Kerry Senior Football Championship

Arising out of a motion from Laune Rangers to Co. Convention, which was referred to the East-Kerry Board, it was decided to divide East-Kerry into two districts, Killorglin and Killarney, for the purpose of organising the East-Kerry Championships. The clubs in the Killorglin area were Castlemaine, Milltown, Tuogh, Glenbeigh and Laune Rangers. The Championships, senior and junior, were run on a league basis and the top team after the senior league received a Cup given by Mr. Jim Kennedy N.T., Kilgobnet and  contested the East-Kerry final proper against the top team in the Killarney district.

In the Senior Championship, there were three teams Laune Rangers, Milltown and Castlemaine.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 18th April at Milltown: Laune Rangers 4-2; Milltown 0-4.

In the presence of a fairly good crowd, a very interesting football contest took place. Milltown, playing with the wind, attacked from the first and, in quick succession, had points from Conway and Clifford. They seemed all over the visitors until Michael O Grady worked his way through for a neat goal, which set the Rangers on their feet. Play changed to the other end and two further points were added for Milltown through Conway and Keating. The visitors again attacked and their forwards combined well, giving John Foley an opening to raise the green flag, leaving the score at halftime at Laune Rangers 2-0, Milltown 0-4.

On the resumption, Rangers had the better of the midfield clashes and their forwards proved very clever in front of the posts. Scores came from Kevin Foley (goal), Michael O Grady (goal), John Foley (point) and James Foley (point). Prominent for the Rangers were Kevin Murphy, Tom O Leary, Eugie Joy, John, James and Kevin Foley and Michael O Grady. Milltown’s best were Keating, Quirke, Murphy, Conway and Clifford.


Sun. 16th May at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-4; Castlemaine 1-4.

After an uninteresting hour, Laune Rangers were declared the winners. The home side had the better of the play during the first half, scoring 2-3 to Castlemaine’s 0-1. During the second half, there were a few exciting moments, as the visitors attacked. Generally, the match lacked vigour. Referee was Pete Coghlan, Beaufort.


Sun. 27th June at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-2; Milltown 3-3.

This game was played before a sparse attendance. The match was interesting to halftime when, on the change-over, Milltown took control and won easily. Keating, Quirke and Murphy were outstanding for the winners, while Rangers were best served by Tom O Leary and Kevin Murphy.


Killorglin District Final on Sun. 5th Sept. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-8; Castlemaine 1-4.

This was a brilliant display of football. Despite the fact that a rather strong breeze was blowing, the football was of a high standard, fast and clean. Rangers, by winning, secured the Kennedy Cup for the first time and a set of medals, and qualified to meet Legion in the East-Kerry final.

Castlemaine, having won the toss, pressed from the start. Kelliher was fouled in a good position and pointed the free. Stephen O Donoghue, the Rangers’ goalie, was tested time and again and brought off some very clever saves. Castlemaine had the better of the exchanges at that stage and Kelliher had increased their lead by two further points before Kerrisk got possession on the 21 yards line and gave O Donoghue no chance to save. A free to Rangers left Eddie West in possession and he sent a beauty between the posts to leave the halftime score 1-3 to 0-1 in favour of Castlemaine.

On the resumption, Rangers settled down quickly. Kevin Foley secured the ball at midfield and his centre was boxed to the net by Pat O Riordan. K. Teahan starred in the Castlemaine defence, which was hard pressed for fully 15 minutes. Kevin Ryle, whose place-kicking was deadly accurate, had two points from frees to level up the scores. Rangers were definitely on top at that stage and had points by Teddy O Connor (2), Michael O Grady and Eoin Costello, to give them a comfortable lead. Castlemaine staged a great rally and there was tremendous excitement as they fought for a goal that would almost level scores. Kevin Murphy, Eugie Joy and Tim Teahan were kept busy in Rangers’ half-line. They saved a 14 yards’ free but Castlemaine were awarded a penalty on a foul pick-up. Kelliher took the free and O Donoghue provided the thrill of the hour in deflecting the ball over the bar for a point. Rangers swept away from the kick-out and Eoin Costello pointed to leave them worthy winners and the first team to accept the Kennedy Cup.

Laune Rangers Panel: Tim Teahan (capt.), Stephen O Donoghue (goals), Kevin Foley, Kevin Ryle, Kevin Murphy, James Foley, Tim O Connell, Michael O Grady, Tom O Leary, Eddie West, John Foley, Pat O Riordan, Eugie Joy, Teddy O Connor, Owen Costello. Subs: Mícheál O Mahony and John Moriarty.

Mr. M. J. Casey, Glenbeigh, as referee, proved very satisfactory.


East-Kerry final on Sun. 26th Sept. at Fitzgerald Stadium: Legion 0-8; Laune Rangers 1-4.

The game was slow and dull and, with the exception of a brief spell in the second moiety, the spectators had little excitement. The forward work on both sides was the poorest seen at the stadium for a long time.

Playing against a fairly stiff breeze, Legion had an interval lead of two points and appeared to have the game in their pocket. Laune Rangers, however, rallied surprisingly and were on level terms midway through the second moiety. Legion then had four points in a row and seemed set for an easy win until the Rangers’ forwards rushed through a goal five minutes from time. The closing minutes were exciting but Legion held on to their slender lead to gain a merited, if not spectacular, victory.

Kevin Foley and Kevin Murphy accounted for all of the Rangers’ scores.

Laune Rangers: Stephen O Donoghue (goal), Mick O Connor, Tom O Leary, Tim Teahan (capt.), James Foley, Eugie Joy, Paddy Burke (Abbeylands), P. Cournane (Keel), Kevin Foley, John Foley, Eoin Costello, Michael O Grady, Kevin Murphy, Pat O Riordan.

Legion: B. Cronin (goal), Timmy Hurley, Dinny Lyne, M. Casey, Jimmy Wade, David Hurley, Jackie Lyne, Teddy Lyne, Mickey O Leary (0-4), Tommy Cooper, Dinny Casey, Teddy O Sullivan (0-3), Mickey Sullivan (0-1), Donie O Leary.

Ref: M. O Donoghue (Currow).


East-Kerry Junior Football Championship


This was played similarly to the senior championship. For this competition there were three teams, Laune Rangers, Tuogh and Glenbeigh.


Sun. 23rd May at Beaufort: Tuogh 1-5; Laune Rangers 0-6.

This was hard hour’s contest and Tuogh proved superior in the end.

Ref: Paddy Mike Foley, Laune Rangers.


Darcy McNeelus, the Killarney winners, defeated Glenbeigh in the final, which was played in Killorglin on Sun. 24th Oct.


Challenge Game.


Sun. 15th Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-6; The Army 2-5.

Ballymullen Barracks team visited Killorglin, where they played a Laune Rangers selection, captained by Murt Kelly. A rousing struggle, which was witnessed by a large crowd, was won by the Rangers by the slimmest of margins.

Helped by the breeze, the Army were first to attack and Maher (1-0) and Donovan (0-1) gave them an early lead. Rangers fought back, their forwards combining cleverly, to give Murt Kelly an opening for a minor. They had a second point per Kelly before Army launched another attack, which resulted in a goal (Moriarty) and a point (Maher). Paddy Burke (Laune Rangers) set the forwards attacking and Kevin Ryle (1-0), Murt Kelly (1-1) and Paddy Burke (0-1) had scores. Donovan pointed a free for Army, leaving the halftime score at 2-4 to 2-3 in favour of Laune Rangers.

In the second half, Rangers were on the offensive for most of the period. Michael O Grady and Murt Kelly had hard luck in efforts to find the net, before Kevin Foley had a point. Army, who lasted the pace better, had their share of attack and Tom Leary, Jones, Kevin Murphy, and Eugie Joy were hard-pressed in the Rangers defence. McHugh and Mahony had points for Army to bring the scores level. The home forwards attacked in determined fashion and Kevin Ryle had a point from a difficult angle to win the game.

The Rangers, in beating a team, strong in the running for championship honours, surprised their supporters and proved that there was material for a good side in the district.


Munster Senior Football Championship


Semi-final on Sun. 6th June at the Athletic Grounds, Cork: Cork 2-3; Kerry 0-9.

Murt Kelly, playing at centre half-forward, scored seven of Kerry’s points, six from frees.


Replay on Sun. 11th July at the Athletic Grounds, Cork: Cork 1-5; Kerry 1-4.

Murt Kelly, playing at right full-forward, scored 2 frees. Derry Burke, Abbeylands, was a sub for Kerry. That was the first time in 36 years that Cork had beaten Kerry. Kerry’s last defeat in Munster had been in 1928, at the hands of Tipperary.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe, Bill Myers, Joe Keohane, Tadhg Healy, Martin McCarthy, Bill Casey, Eddie Walsh, Jimmy Pierce, Paddy Kennedy (0-1), Johnny Walsh (capt.) 0-1, Tom Gega O Connor (1-0), Johnny Clifford, Murt Kelly (0-2), Charlie O Sullivan, Paddy Bawn Brosnan.

Cork: E. Courtney, P. O Donovan, J. Harnedy, Dr. G. O Leary, J. Lynch, D. O Connor, Tadhg Crowley (capt.), D. J. Murphy, Eamonn Young, J. O Donovan, P. Mullen, E. ‘Togher’ Casey, S. Minogue, Jim Cronin, J. Aherne.


Railway Cup


Semi-final on Sun. 28th Feb. at Tralee: Leinster 1-3; Munster 0-4.

Murt Kelly, playing at full-forward, scored all of Munster’s points, three from frees. Jim Joy (Ballykissane), playing at right half-forward for Leinster, scored a point and made some good scores for Tommy Murphy (Laois).

Munster: (Kerry, except where stated) Danno Keeffe, Bill Myers, Joe Keohane, Tadhg Healy, Dick Harnedy (Cork), Denis Walsh, Eddie Walsh, Paddy Kennedy, Pat Holly, Johnny Walsh, Tom Gega O Connor, Paddy Bawn Brosnan, Jimmy Gorman, Murt Kelly, John Burke (Clare). Kerry had been given permission by the Munster Council to choose the Munster team.

Leinster: P. Lynch (Wexford), Eddie Boyle (Louth), T. McEvoy (Offaly), C. Crowe (Dublin), P. O Reilly (Dublin), P. Kennelly (Dublin), Joe Fitzgerald (Dublin/Kerry) capt., Mick Falvey (Dublin/Kerry), Bill Delaney (Laois), Jim Joy (Dublin/Kerry), P. Bermingham (Dublin), Tommy Murphy (Laois), W. Rea (Carlow), P. O Connor (Dublin), T. Banks (Dublin). Dublin had been given the responsibility by the Leinster Council of selecting the Leinster team. In the final, they were beaten by Ulster by 3-7 to 2-9.




Seamus Gardner, Tiobrad Árainn, was elected Uachtarán CLG.


Father Michael Hamilton, An Clár, became Chairman of the Munster Council, Seán McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


The Annual Convention of the Kerry Co. Board was held on Sat. 30th Jan. 1943 at the CYMS Hall, Tralee. Saturday was chosen in order to accommodate delegates travelling from the various parts of the county – there were restrictions on the use of motor cars due to the shortage of petrol. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Din Joe Baily; Vice-Chairmen – Chairmen of the District Boards; Hon. Secretaries – Micheál Ó Ruairc and Jerry Myles; Hon. Treasurers – Con Clifford and John Moran; Representatives to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan. There was no report from the East-Kerry Board to convention. A motion on the ‘Clár’ from Laune Rangers, seeking a separate District Board for the area, was withdrawn, as Laune Rangers club was not represented.


Commenting on the non-appearance of a report from East-Kerry to Co. Convention, P. F., who was at the time the voice of the GAA, though an independent voice, wrote in the Kerryman, ‘The two depressed areas are North and east Kerry. Conditions could not be described as prosperous in East-Kerry for close on twenty years and it would be unjust to blame any particular individual for the present position. To attribute the existing situation to the remissness of so-and-so is pure bunkum. No so many years ago, the County Board had to take over the running of East-Kerry. It caused the governing body considerable worry.

East-Kerry was once the strongest football area in the county. It has an abundance of material. Apart from Killarney and Killorglin, which, at different times, turned out some of the greatest footballers in the county, each parish has its football team, many of them high-class, but with their efforts overshadowed by the prowess of their bigger brothers in Killorglin and Killarney. Let it not be imagined, therefore, that the present position in the area is of mushroom growth, far from it. The East-Kerry Board has been a little Stormont for a long number of years, bickering, cross-firing, etc. The two group arrangement (Killarney and Killorglin) may bring an improvement. This is fervently to be desired. This once rich and prosperous football area has been, to all intents and purposes, a desert over a long number of years.’


Representatives of Castlemaine, Milltown, Tuogh, Glenbeigh and Laune Rangers Clubs met in the CYMS hall, Killorglin, at the beginning of April, to form a board to administer the affairs of Killorglin District (East-Kerry Board). The following officers were appointed: President – Jack O Dwyer (Laune Rangers); Vice-Presidents – Paddy Foley (Laune Rangers) and Pete Coghlan (Tuogh); Chairman – Dr. O Driscoll (Glenbeigh); Vice-Chairman – Mike Joy (Laune Rangers); Secretary – Sean Moriarty (Laune Rangers); Assistant Secretary – Martin Knightley (Castlemaine); Treasurer – Pat Clifford (Milltown); Assistant Treasurer – Dermot O Sullivan (Glenbeigh). It was decided to run a senior and junior league. The senior league winners would receive a Cup given by Mr. Jim Kennedy, N. T. Kilgobnet, with a set of medals and would play against the winners of the Killarney district for the East-Kerry Championship.


A meeting of the East-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin at the end of May. Dr. P. O Driscoll, Glenbeigh presided and delegates attended from Listry, Gneeveguilla (Eoghan Ruadh’s), Headford (Niall O Leary’s) and Laune Rangers. The meeting had been specially summoned to consider an objection by Eoghan Ruadh’s against awarding a match to Niall O Leary’s played on 22nd May, on the grounds that the later team was illegally constituted as having contained two players who had played with Eoghan Ruadh’s in May 1942 and had not previously been transferred. On hearing statements from both sides, the Chairman held the team was legally constituted, as twelve months and one week had passed since the players in question had represented Eoghan Ruadh’s. They were entitled to play with another club without a transfer. He referred the meeting to a rule, which stated that ‘a month shall mean a period of four weeks.’

A meeting of the East-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 4th July. Dr. O Driscoll presided. Laune Rangers club was represented by Paddy Foley, Jack O Dwyer and Sean Moriarty. The Secretary of the Board read a letter from the Co. Board in which it was made clear that Deenagh Rangers’ application had been granted on condition that no past member of Wolfe Tone Club (Kilcummin) be included in the Deenagh Rangers’ team. The Chairman of the Board ruled that Deenagh Rangers be permitted to continue under those conditions.

A meeting of the East-Kerry Board was held in the Central Club Rooms, Killarney on Mon. 4th Oct. P. O Meara presided and many clubs, including Laune Rangers, were represented. It was decided to run a second league between the senior clubs, with the proviso that a team that was beaten twice would drop out. Unfortunately, I could not find any results of that league or evidence that games were played in it.


At a meeting of Laune Rangers club, a resolution by Paddy Foley was adopted, ‘that we, the members of Laune Rangers Club, tender to Mr. Sean Moriarty N.T. our sincerest sympathy on the death of his mother,’ who had died on 25th July.


In the All-Ireland Colleges Semi-final in Croke Park on Sun. 21st March, Ulster beat Munster by 1 point. Donal Prendiville, St. Brendan’s College, came on as a sub.


Derry Burke, Abbeylands, played at midfield on the Castleisland team that was beaten in the Co. Football Final.

Gerald Teahan played at left halfback on the Dingle team that won the Co. Senior Championship.


Murt Kelly and Jim Joy helped the Geraldines to win the Dublin Co. Senior Football Championship.


Due to the ‘emergency’, the National Leagues and the Minor and Junior Championships were not played.


That the Killorglin district was Gaelic in spirit was once more shown by the very large attendance at the Carnegie Hall on the occasion of the Laune Rangers Annual Dance, which was held early in Jan. 1944.

Certainly the crowd was representative of every area of the parish and included many who came for the occasion rather than to dance, whose days for practice of the terpsichorean art were long gone. There was a varied programme of dances, which gave general satisfaction. The presentation of medals to the local team as winners of the Killorglin Senior Division of the East-Kerry League was the big item of the night. The presentation was made by Mike Joy, Chairman of Laune Rangers Club, who was loudly cheered for his complimentary remarks, as were the recipients in turn.


In the General Election, which was held in 1943, there were six candidates for the three seats in the South Kerry Constituency. The electorate was 35,504 and the valid poll was 26,543. F. H. Crowley (F.F.) and Fionan Lynch (F.G.) were re-elected and J. B. Healy (F.F.) was elected for the first time.


Having been appointed as P.P. to Killorglin eight years previously, Fr. T. D. O Sullivan, a native of Kenmare, celebrated his Golden Jubilee with a Mass of Thanksgiving on Thurs. 1st July. The church was filled to capacity, representatives of the CYMS, the Men’s and Women’s Confraternities of the sacred Heart, the Laune Rangers as well as the school children being allotted special places.


There was a treat in store for the Killorglin public on Sunday night 2nd May, when the CYMS presented a charming two-act drama, ‘The Captive Lover,’ written by one of their leading members, Sean T. O Riordan. He had already contributed, at local functions, songs of his own composition but that was the first time he had attempted an ambitious full-length play. He took the leading part in the production.


The East-Kerry Annual GAA Convention was held in the Central Club, Killarney on Sun. 2nd Jan. 1944. Danny O Sullivan, in his Secretary’s Report, said, ‘The Division was divided into two areas, Killarney and Killorglin, each having its won senior and junior leagues. In the Killarney area, six teams took part in the senior league and Killarney Legion emerged as winners. Eight teams took part in the Junior League and Darcy McNeelals were the winners. Three teams took part in both the senior and junior leagues in the Killorglin area and Laune Rangers won the senior and Glenbeigh the junior. The Championship medals were won by Killarney Legion who beat a Laune Rangers selection in the final.

Five teams from the area took part in the Co. Championships. Killarney reached the senior semi-final and Darcy McNeelal’s contested the Intermediate Final. It gives me great pleasure to report that the games were very well patronised during the year with the result that the Board was in a sound financial position.” In conclusion, he thanked the clubs for their splendid co-operation and the Press for the valuable space given to the reports of matches and meetings.