Laune Rangers – 1945


The AGM of the Laune Rangers club took place on Fri. 23rd Feb. 1945 in the CYMS Hall. The balance sheet showed a small sum to credit.

The following officers were elected:

President – Rev. Father T. D. O Sullivan.

Vice-Presidents – Father Murphy, Dr. Pat O Driscoll, Dr. Prendiville, Mike Joy, J. Conway, Mr. Coghlan, Moss O Brien, Floss McCrohan, Tom O Connor, John Joe Falvey, Eddie Clifford, Willie Crowley, Sean O Riordan N. T., Mícheál O Donoghue N. T., Seán P. O Riordan, Mossy Roche, Mick Coffey, T. McGillycuddy, James O Regan, Patsy Begley, John A. Foley, M. Breen, T. O Connor, Ted Mangan and M. Moriarty.

Chairman – Rev. Michael Casey.

Secretary/Treasurer – James Curtin.

Assistant Secretary – Sean O Riordan.

Club Committee – Monnie O Reilly, Tim Teahan, Paddy Foley, Sean Moriarty, Kevin Foley, Owen Costello, Tom Darcy, Liam Foley, Ted Mangan, Teddy O Connor.

Selection Sub-Committee – Chairman, Secretary, Tim Teahan, Ted Mangan, Kevin Foley, Teddy O Connor and Sean Moriarty.

It was unanimously decided that something should be done to return the club to the position it once held as the leading GAA Club in the county. The old cry of ‘give the youth a chance on the team’ was very much in evidence and it was decided, if possible, to try out all the young players in matches. It was also decided to start a school league.

Rev. Father Michael Casey CC Chairman Laune Rangers Club 1945

Rev. Father Michael Casey CC
Chairman Laune Rangers Club 1945

Co. Senior Football Championship

12 teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship, Shannon Rangers, Army, Dingle, North Kerry, Legion, Cahersiveen, Kenmare, Castleisland, Austin Stacks, John Mitchels, Kerins O Rahillys and Dick Fitzgerald’s. Again the Co. Intermediate Championship was abandoned due to travel restrictions. The Laune Rangers players threw in their lot with Dick Fitzgerald’s.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 6th May at Kenmare: Kenmare scr; Dick Fitzgerald’s w/o.

Teddy O Connor was selected at midfield and Michael O Grady at centre half-forward. However, Kenmare conceded a walk-over.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 17th June at Killarney: Dick Fitzgerald’s 2-10; Iveragh 0-6.

For a quarter of an hour, Iveragh led Dick Fitzgerald’s a merry dance but then, abruptly, they faded out and were a well-beaten team at the end. The spaciousness of the unfamiliar pitch appeared to be responsible for the collapse of the Iveragh men. They were faster and more methodical than their opponents for the first quarter, but from then on they were a tired team.

With a strong wind blowing behind them, Iveragh had plenty of the ball in the first half but so poor were their forwards that they had only a five points lead at halftime (0-6 to 0-1). Inspired by a grand goal by Brendan Kelliher shortly after the resumption, the Fitzgerald’s attack became steadier and more confident and the ultimate result became quite apparent long before the end.

Big men for the Fitzgerald’s were Paddy Cronin and Teddy O Connor, at centre-field, Tom Lynch and Bill Myers in defence and Brendan Kelliher, Dan Kavanagh and D. McCarthy in attack. D. Griffin kept a good goal.

Dick Fitzgerald’s: Derry Griffin (goal), Paddy Moynihan (Listry), Bill Myers (Dr. Crokes), Paddy Desmond (Rathmore), Dermot O Connell (Dr. Croke’s), Tom Lynch (Listry) capt., Paddy Shanahan (Currow), Teddy O Connor (Laune Rangers), Paddy Cronin 0-2, Michael O Grady (Laune Rangers), Dan Kavanagh (Dr. Croke’s) 0-1, Dee McCarthy (Rathmore) 0-1, Danny O Sullivan (Listry) 1-1, Brendan Kelliher (Listry/Castlemaine) 1-3, ‘Roundy’ Cronin (Rathmore) 0-2.

Iveragh: B. Condon (goal), M. Driscoll, Denny Ahern, P. Jones, Seamus O Connor, John Joe Murphy, F. Brennan, Ted Curran, John Griffin (0-1), L. O Shea, J. Murphy (0-4), J. McCarthy, M. Murphy, A Lucey, M. Keane (0-1).


Rd. 3 on Sun. 1st July at Fitzgerald Stadium: Legion 4-7; Dick Fitzgerald’s 2-4.

Mikey Lyne’s clever footwork and brilliant opportunism was the highlight of that needle local derby. The other most notable feature was the determined inclination of three or four men to play the ‘dirty’. They succeeded in satisfying their desires and, incidentally, in displeasing a great number of spectators. There was a man down almost every five minutes, so hard and hectic were the exchanges.

Legion was definitely the better team and fully merited its convincing win. Dick Fitzgerald’s appeared listless beside them but still they fought pluckily to the end and, with a little luck, might have had a goal or two more.

The game opened in sensational fashion. Playing against a strong wind, Legion went into the attack. Teddy Lyne got possession on the right wing and cleverly crossed to Mikey Lyne, who was waiting unattended near the goal-mouth. In a flash the ball was in the net. That early reverse seemed to demoralise the Fitzgerald’s and they were hard-pressed for the ensuing ten minutes. Then they fought back and took the lead when Paddy Cronin sent over a point and R. Cronin sent the ball through a cluster of players to the net. Their lead was short-lived. Legion came away and a centre by T. Sullivan was punched to the net by Mikey Lyne. Brendan Kelliher had a point for the Fitzgerald’s and Legion replied with a point from a free by Mikey Lyne. The Fitzgerald backs were again at fault when Mikey Lyne, unmarked, was placed by M. Connor for another goal. Teddy O Connor pointed at the other end and Mikey Lyne completed the first half scoring with a point from a free.

Aided by the wind, Legion were quickly into their stride on the resumption. Mikey Lyne pointed three frees in a row and Teddy Lyne followed with a goal. Fitzgerald’s fought back and a close-in free was rushed to the net. J. Murphy put over two points for the winners and the last score was a point for Fitzgerald’s by Brendan Kelliher.

Legion: Tommy Cooper (goal), Dinny Lyne (capt.), Jimmy Fleming, Timmy Hurley, Jimmy Wade, Jackie Lyne, Denis Baily, Tom Spillane, Gerald O Sullivan, Teddy Sullivan, John Murphy, Mick Baker, Paddy O Connor, Teddy Lyne, Mikey Lyne.

Dick Fitzgerald’s: Derry Griffin (goal), Paddy Batt Shanahan, Bill Myers, Denis Hussey, P. C. O Mahony, Tom Lynch, P. Buckley, Teddy O Connor (Laune Rangers), Dan Kavanagh, Brendan Kelliher, Kevin Ryle (Laune Rangers), Dee McCarthy, M. Dennehy, Paddy Cronin, Roundy Cronin.


Quarter-final on Sun. 5th Aug. at Castleisland: Dick Fitzgerald’s 2-8; Austin Stack’s 2-3.

Stack’s, aided by a strong breeze, had the better of matters in the opening half and shaped like winners. They began slowly, however, and a third of the time had gone by before the crowd got its first bid thrill. Kelter, driving hard from about thirty yards out, sent a stinging deceptive ball well out of Griffin’s reach. Play livened up immediately and there were some gripping passages. Stacks added point scores and then a high centre went right under the bar when Myers and Griffin both tried to save. So far the team was playing up to expectations. Fitzgerald’s during that half, though scoring only one point, were certainly worth a few more scores. Stack’s led by eight points at the interval – 1-6 to 0-1.

Upon the resumption, the Killarney side had switched Paddy Cronin from midfield to full-forward and that definitely turned the scales. Dan Kavanagh pointed a free. Then they missed an open goal and there indications that Rock St. might ride the storm. However, that was a very different Killarney fifteen from that of the first half. They were charged with dynamic energy. Paddy Cronin was the spearhead of the onslaught. He kept the Stack’s backs on edge, always moving in and out and arriving at a critical moment to send to the net or over the bar. It was he that placed Brendan Kelliher for the first smashing goal. He added a few invaluable points in the ensuing minutes. Further points from Kelliher, Shanahan and Kevin Ryle levelled matters. Teddy O Connor centred a great ball. Forwards swarmed around the Stack’s goal as it swung under the crossbar. Fitzgerald’s added another point.

Rock Street called the tune in the last ten minutes and had the crowd on their toes in several thrilling passages. Again and again it seemed that the Fitzgerald’s net must fall. Bill Myers, at that stage, thrilled the crowd with scintillating clearances. Fitzgerald’s rode the storm and emerged worthy winners.

Dick Fitzgerald’s: Derry Griffin (goal), Jimmy White, Bill Myers, Paddy Shanahan, Paddy Moynihan, Tom Lynch (capt.), Dermot O Connell, Teddy O Connor, Paddy Cronin, Brendan Kelliher, Dan Kavanagh, Dee McCarthy, Danny O Sullivan, Kevin Ryle, Roundy Cronin.

Austin Stack’s: Liam Fitzgerald (goal), Jimmy O Gorman, M. Barry, C. Hourigan, J. O Donnell, P. Doherty, P. Fogarty, Joe Kennington, F. Kissane, J. Slattery, J. Connell, Paddy Drummond, Tim Landers, T. Crowley, J. Kelter.

Ref: Johnny Walsh (Ballylongford).




Semi-final on Sun. 26th Aug. at Tralee: Dick Fitzgerald’s 2-4; Shannon Rangers 1-7.

Teddy O Connor, playing at midfield, scored two goals, one from a close-in free and one from a fifty. Liam O Riordan, Langford Street, came on as a substitute at right half-forward and scored a point. Kevin Ryle played at centre half-forward. At that stage of the Championship, Dick Fitzgerald’s had acquired Paul Russell and Murt Kelly as trainers.


Replay on Sun. 9th Sept. at Tralee: Dick Fitzgerald’s 1-4; Shannon Rangers 0-7.

Teddy O Connor scored a point from midfield, Kevin Ryle played at centre half-forward, Liam O Riordan at right full-forward and Paddy Burke at full-forward. Bicycles, side-cars and common cars thronged the main roads from North Kerry and East/Mid-Kerry. Many people, from Killorglin, Listry and Castlemaine walked over the mountain for the game.


2nd Replay on Sun. 16th Sept. at Tralee: Shannon Rangers 3-7; Dick Fitzgerald’s 2-3.

Teddy O Connor played at midfield and Paddy Burke at full-forward.


Shannon Rangers, captained by Johnny Walsh, beat Legion in the replayed final on Sun. 14th Oct. by 1-7 to 0-5.


East-Kerry Senior Football Championship


The Collin’s Cup was presented by Collin’s the Auctioneer for the East-Kerry Senior Championship. Laune Rangers Club Secretary, James Curtin, who was a Rock Street man living in Killorglin, acquired the services of John Joe Landers, of Kerry fame, to train and coach the team. During the winter the training was done on the Killarney – run a while, walk a while and then run again. Challenge games were arranged and the team was in tip-top shape for the East-Kerry Championship.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 8th April at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 4-8; Keel 2-1.

That clear-cut victory, combined with their fine showing in recent challenge games against Rock St. and Dr. Crokes, caused a stir in GAA quarters in Killorglin. There were whispers of some leading footballers having signed up for the Rangers in 1945.

Laune Rangers: Patrick O Grady, Tom O Leary, Paddy Moriarty (Caragh Bridge), Kevin Foley, Kevin Murphy, John Lyne (Caragh Bridge), Eugie Joy, Michael Doyle (Meanus), Teddy O Connor, Michael O Grady, Tim Teahan, Paddy Burke, Jim Curtin, Tim O Connell, Garda Tom Darcy. Sub: Owen Costello.

Keel: M. Knightley, M. O Shea, Tom Evans, Donie O Neill, T. Teahan, Willie O Shea, Benny Sullivan, J. Breen, D. Murphy, D. Rourke, J. O Doherty, Mickie O Connor, Timmy Sullivan, Jerry Foley, Paddy Griffin.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 29th April at Fitzgerald Stadium: Dr. Crokes 3-1; Laune Rangers 1-7.

Dr. Crokes were lucky to gain the draw. Had the Rangers forwards shown a little steadiness, they would have won comfortably.

Laune Rangers: Patrick O Grady, Kevin Foley, Tom O Leary, Willie Walsh (Caragh Lake), Kevin Murphy, John Lyne, Eugie Joy, Teddy O Connor, Michael Doyle, Liam O Riordan (Langford St.), Tim Teahan, Michael O Grady, Tim O Connell, Paddy Moriarty, Jim Curtin. Sub: Owen Costello for P. Moriarty.

Dr. Crokes: J. Donoghue (goals), J. Sullivan, Seamus Scott, D. Casey, J. Hurley, J. Cronin, Willie Bartlett, P. Courtney, T. Sullivan, Dan Kavanagh, C. Collins, J. Connor, Tim Keogh, J. Casey, Dermot O Connell.


Sun. 27th May at Fitzgerald Stadium: Laune Rangers 2-9; Listry 0-3.

Laune Rangers were well-trained and trounced their old rivals. Even allowing for the fact that Listry was much below its best, there could be no doubt that Laune Rangers had once again returned to the limelight in East-Kerry football. In a game that was played in a drenching downpour, the Rangers showed amazing pace and a good sense of positional play and they just won as they pleased.

The Rangers won, not because they had stars on their team, but because their teamwork showed a bond and cohesion that was to a marked degree lacking on the opposing side. The praiseworthy efforts of Brendan Kelliher and Danny O Sullivan could not avert, what everyone recognised quite early, the inevitable defeat of Listry. It was a clean, well-fought game throughout.

Laune Rangers: Kevin Cremins (goal), Kevin Murphy, Tom O Leary, Tim Teahan, Willie Walsh (Caragh Lake), John Lyne, Eugie Joy, Teddy O Connor, Michael Doyle, Liam O Riordan, Jim Joy (Ballykissane), Michael O Grady, Kevin Foley, Monnie O Reilly, Jim Curtin. Sub: Owen Costello for J. Curtin.

Listry: Tadhg O Riordan (goal), J. Quirke, Mick Buckley, Andrew Larkin, J. O Shea, Tom Lynch (capt.), Dan Buckley, M. Moynihan, Paddy Moynihan, Brendan Kelliher, Danny O Sullivan, Michael Lynch, P. Rohan, Mick O Brien, Tom Buckley.


Sun. 25th June at Firies: Currow beat Laune Rangers.

That defeat was totally unexpected. At the club meeting on the following night, the game came up for discussion. It was felt that the defeat was timely, as it would shake the members of the team out of the feeling of complacency into which it had drifted. Perhaps the necessity, of having the senior team properly represented in the following fixture, would have been driven home.


Semi-final on Sun. 2nd Sept. at Fitzgerald Stadium: Laune Rangers v Legion.

On the following Sunday, the Dick Fitzgerald’s were involved in a replay of the Co. Championship Semi-final against Shannon Rangers and the Chairman of the East-Kerry Board, Tom Lynch, who also happened to be the captain of the Dick Fitzgerald’s team, called off the East-Kerry semi-finals in case some of the players would get injured. That caused intense dissatisfaction in Laune Rangers and various attempts were made to get the game played on that date.


Semi-final on Sun. 11th Nov. at Fitzgerald Stadium: Laune Rangers v Legion.

Laune Rangers had given notice that they would not be appearing. When they did not appear, they were given seven days to tell the East-Kerry Board if they would be contesting the semi-final. In ‘Echoes from East-Kerry’ in the Kerryman, they were encouraged to play, ‘Little incidents should be forgotten. No good can come from the nurturing of grievances.’ Laune Rangers refused to play.


Currow won the East-Kerry Final by beating Legion, who had been Co. Finalists, on Sun. 2nd Dec. by 3-2 to 1-4.

East-Kerry Junior Football Championship


Sun. 25th March at Listry: Listry 1-4; Laune Rangers 0-2.


13th May at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh v Laune Rangers.


June at Killorglin: Laune Rangers v Beaufort,

The day was dry but very windy. Laune Rangers played against that wind in the first half and trailed by nine points at the interval. On the resumption, Laune Rangers quickly closed the gap and were soon on level terms. About halfway through the half, Laune Rangers were awarded a twenty-one yards free in front of the goals. The free-taker was Hartnett, from Abbeyfeale, who worked in the National Bank in Killorglin, and he had scored most of the home side’s scores. Before he could take the free, however, Beaufort disputed the free and walked off the field. Ref: Stevie Foley (Laune Rangers).


Replay on Sun. 15th July at Beaufort: Beaufort beat Laune Rangers.

There was no doubt about the superiority of the Beaufort team. It was clean, well-fought game that brought credit to both sides. Beaufort won the game by 3 points – a well merited win. Laune Rangers were then out of the competition.


Firies beat Rathmore in the Final by 1-3 to 0-4 on Sun. 23rd Dec.


Parish League


Upper Town and Lower Town played over three games for the Father Mangan Cup.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 11th March: Lower Town 1-3; Upper Town 0-4.

For the first time since the inception of the Mangan Cup matches, Lower Town gained a victory over Upper Town. It was a closely contested game that provided the spectators with a very enjoyable hour’s football. At three-quarters time, Lower Town had a 1 point lead. During the last quarter, Upper Town made a series of determined rushes on the Lower town goal and all but snatched victory at the eleventh hour.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 15th April: Upper Town 2-5; Lower Town 1-1.


Rd. 3 on Wed. 11th July: Upper Town beat Lower Town.

Lower Town had been confidently expected to win. At halftime, Upper Town, having played with the advantages of the fall and the wind, had merely four points’ lead. A stonewall defence in the second half by their backline, principally centred on Sean Ryle, staved off the ceaseless efforts of the Lower Town forwards. The final whistle left Upper Town with a two points’ lead and the Cup for another year.


Challenge Games.


Sun. 18th March at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-4; Rock Street 1-7.

Considerable local interest was aroused by that game as it marked the initial appearance of the rejuvenated Laune Rangers. The encounter was in pursuance of the policy of training the team and giving it a splendid game. A downpour early in the morning caused a delay but, upon the appearance of sunshine, the teams lined out.

When M. Casey, ESB, a very capable referee, threw in the ball, Rock St. got possession immediately and, playing with the wind, attacked and Sean Reidy drove home a goal within a minute. Rock st. showed their experience and field-craft by breaking high balls for team-mates, by placing their men at all times and by an absence of delay in delivery. That was probably the greatest defect in the Laune Rangers. Halftime – Rock Street 1-6, Laune Rangers 0-0.

The local team resumed with altered placings. It was then that excellent play was seen. Till the last five minutes, Rock St. goal was repeatedly stormed and only the defence of Liam Fitzgerald (goal), backed by Jimmy O Gorman, staved off certain defeat. The Rangers had four points to their credit when Jim Curtin, well place by Michael O Grady, drove to the net for their only goal.

It was a most enjoyable game and a very creditable performance by the local team. It would give them the necessary courage to face up to future tasks.

Sun. 1st April at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-3; Dr. Crokes 1-0.

Playing with the breeze in the first half, Rangers were quickly into their stride and had three smart points. A goal by Jim Curtin from a grand centre gave them a comfortable halftime lead. On the changeover, Crokes took control and had a goal early on but a resolute defence, in which Mangan and O Reilly were prominent, prevented further scoring.


Sun. 11th May: Laune Rangers were defeated by the local LDF team.

Never before had there been such intensive physical training in the town, as there was at that time. For that game, Laune Rangers put into operation their new rule whereby a player not properly ‘togged’ would be forbidden entry on to the playing pitch. A few players, who turned out for that game in long pants, were undoubtedly disappointed at being ordered off. That rule was in the best interest of the game.


Munster Senior Football Championship


Semi-final on Sun. 10th June at Limerick: Limerick 2-7; Kerry 5-8.

Gerald Teahan played and Derry Burke was a substitute.


Final on Sun. 8th July at Killarney: Kerry 1-6; Cork 1-11.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe, Tadhg Healy, Eddie Walsh, Denny Lyne, Jackie Lyne, Paddy Kennedy, Martin McCarthy, Dan Kavanagh (0-1), Willie Burke, Albie Conway, William O Donnell, Batt Garvey (0-1), Tim ‘Roundy’ Landers (1-0), Tom Gega O Connor, Mikey Lyne (0-4). Gerald Teahan and Derry Burke were substitutes.


Cork: Mol Driscoll, Dave Magner, P. Weeshie Murphy, Den Connors, Paddy Cronin, Tadhg Crowley, Humphrey O Neill, Fachtna O Donovan, Eamonn Young, Mick Tubridy, T. O Driscoll, E. ‘Togher’ Casey, Jack Lynch, Jim Cronin, Derry Beckett.

Cork went on to win the All-Ireland final by beating Cavan 2-5 to 0-7. It was Cork’s third title, their first in 34 years.


National Football League


Sun. 4th Nov. at Clonmel: Tipperary 1-7; Kerry 2-1.

Derry Burke played at full-forward.


Sun. 18th Nov. at Tralee: Kerry 0-12; Galway 1-8.

Gerald Teahan played at right fullback and Teddy O Connor played at midfield.




Séamus Gardner, Tiobrad Árainn, was Uachtarán CLG.


Father Michael Hamilton, An Clár, was Chairman of the Munster Council, Seán McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer. A motion from Ciarraí, banning hand-passing in football, was defeated. It was decided to revive the Minor and Junior Championships as the emergency provisions were relaxed and unrestricted travel became possible with the drawing to a close of World War 11.


Kerry Co. Convention was held on Sun. 4th Feb. in the Council Chambers of the Ashe Memorial Hall, Tralee. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Din Joe Baily; Vice-Chairmen – Chairmen of the District Boards; Secretaries – Mícheál Ó Ruairc and Jerry Myles; Hon. Treasurers – Con Clifford and John Moran; Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan; Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc. A motion to revive the Co. Intermediate Championship and to commence a Co. Minor League was adjourned. Mícheál Ó Ruairc stated that the main difficulty was the obtaining of permits for transport. Laune Rangers Club was not represented at the Convention.


The East-Kerry AGM was held in the Central Club, Killarney on Sun. 7th Jan. 1945. (The Secretary’s Report is given at the end of 1944). Youthful and zealous Chairman, Tom Lynch, Listry, who addressed the delegates in both English and Irish, said that the Board did a very creditable job of work during the year – a job of which they might well feel proud. Competition among the clubs was very keen, football had reached a high standard and public patronage was splendid. Pat O Meara, Treasurer, produced a printed balance sheet, which showed that receipts at £140, easily outdistanced expenditure. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Tom Lynch; Vice-Chairmen – Bill Myers and M. O Callaghan; Secretary – Jack O Shea; Treasurer – Pat O Meara; Delegates to Co. Board – Martin Wade and Danny O Sullivan. Laune Rangers Club was not represented.


An important meeting of the Laune Rangers Club took place on Fri. 9th March in the CYMS Hall. Routine matters concerning fixtures and venues of upcoming games were quickly dealt with. The Secretary then drew attention to the real purpose of the meeting. The Laune Rangers Club would be looked upon as the cradle of Gaelic Football in the county. They were the sole challengers at one time for the National title and throughout the years, they had provided some of the finest material for the county team that contested the All-Ireland finals. Yet in all that time, no serious effort had ever been made to provide a suitable football grounds at Killorglin.  Leased grounds that, from considerations of privacy, pitch and accessibility, were entirely unsuitable were the order of the day. It was to consider ways and means of providing a club- ground that the meeting was called. A decision was reached whereby an appeal would be made, through the press and individually, for funds to enable the club to purchase a suitable site.


Sun. 16th Sept: The appeal by Laune Rangers against the East-Kerry Board was dismissed.

Tues. 18th Sept: A well attended meeting of the Laune Rangers Club was held in the Carnegie Hall. The main topic of discussion was the result of the protest entered at Sunday’s meeting of the Co. Board. The Secretary, James Curtin, had pointed out that the Chairman of the East-Kerry Board, against the wishes of three of the four teams involved (Laune Rangers, Currow and Dr. Crokes), postponed the matches that should have been played in Killarney on Sept. 2nd. At Sunday’s Co. Board meeting, the Chairman upheld the decision of the East-Kerry Board official on the grounds that he was within regulations in doing so. Later, however, during the same meeting, the Chairman ruled that unless the four teams (hurling and football) concerned could select a unanimous date for the Co. Final, he had not the authority to do so.

Intense dissatisfaction was expressed at the Laune Rangers meeting at the careless manner in which rules were interpreted and observed. With a view to clarifying the situation and obtaining a modicum of consideration for the smaller clubs, it was decided to place the club’s grievance before the Munster Council. Jacko Dwyer and Liam Foley travelled to Limerick for the hearing in Liam Foley’s Morris 8 – it was such a small car for such a long journey. The Chairman of the Munster Council, Father Hamilton, ruled that the Co. Board had acted correctly when upholding the decision of the East-Kerry Board Chairman. The two ‘ambassadors’ ran into thick fog on the way home and did not arrive until morning. Even greater dissatisfaction and frustration was felt by Laune Rangers at that decision of the Munster Council, as it seemed that all the cards were stacked against them.


On Tues. 16th Oct. a meeting of Laune Rangers Club took place in the Carnegie Hall. Amongst other business transacted, it was decided to arrange a football match with Castlemaine for 4th Nov., the proceeds of which would go the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.


In early Nov., at a special meeting of Laune Rangers club, a vote of sympathy was passed to the relatives of the late Rev. T. D. O Sullivan P.P., President of the Club. A native of Bonane, Kenmare, he had been 10 years as Parish Priest in Killorglin. He died on Mon. 5th Nov.


Murt Kelly, having been dropped from the Kerry panel, returned to play with Dublin, but the team failed to get out of Leinster. He was still playing his club football with the Geraldines in the capital.


Kerry beat Cork in the Munster Minor Football Final on Sun. 8th July at Killarney by 2-4 to 2-3.

Kerry: Tommy Cooper (Legion) goals, D. O Keeffe, T. O Sullivan (Tralee), E. O Shea (Tralee), D. O Sullivan, T. O Donnel (Tralee)l, Dermot O Connell (Dr. Crokes), Tom Ashe (Dingle), P.C. O Mahony (John Mitchels), J. Slattery (Austin Stacks), T. Moriarty (capt), S. O Sullivan (John Mitchels), E. Barry (Austin Stacks), T. Lawlor, J. Moriarty (John Mitchels).


On Wed. 10th Jan. the second Annual Ploughing match was organised by the students of the nigh class for Agriculture Science at the Teachnical School, Killorglin. Class 3 – 1st Eugene Mangan, Dromin, 2nd Con Kennedy, Ballymalis, 3rd Mick Murphy, Anglont. Best open – E. Mangan; Best finish – Martin O Neill, Ardmoniel.


On Mon. 7th May, in a schoolhouse at Rheims, 75 miles north-east of Paris, at 1.41am (Irish Time) World War 2 ended after 2,094 days.


On Sat. 5th May, Fred H. Crowley T.D. died at his residence at Danesfort, Killarney. He had become a T.D. in 1927 and had successfully contested every election since then. Mrs. Honor Mary Crowley, his widow, won the South-Kerry bye-election in December. Out of an electorate of 35,945, there was a total valid pole of 18, 501.


On Thursday night 24th May, a capacity crowd packed the Oisin Hall to enjoy a most interesting programme of boxing, which was organised by the newly formed Killorglin Boxing Club.

Welterweight – M. Walsh (Killorglin) k.o’d M. Cournane (Desmond) after 30 seconds.

Juvenile (3 one minute rounds) – Timmy Harmon (Steelroe, Killorglin) beat J. Counihan (St. Mary’s, Killarney) on points. Podso McCarthy (Killorglin) beat J. O Connor (St. Mary’s on points. D. Mannix (St. Mary’s) beat Johnny Byrne (Railway Terrace, Killorglin) on points. Jim Mangan (Steelroe, Killorglin) beat J. Cooper (St. Mary’s) on points. T. Buckley (St. Mary’s) beat James Foley (Castleconway, Killorglin) on points. At the end of the programme, Mossy Roche, Hon. Sec. returned thanks to the contestants, St. Mary’s Club, referees, timekeeper, judges and the public for its patronage.


On Mon. 25th June, Sean T. O Kelly was installed as President of Ireland.


The Caragh Lake Regatta was held on Sun. 5th Aug. and from every point of view it was an outstanding success.

First Race – Winners: James O Sullivan’s Boat (Crew – Paddy Brosnan, Mikey Dwyer, M. Joy cox). Second: Captain Kelly’s Boat (Crew – Willie Walsh, Phil McGillycuddy, Tim Dwyer cox).

Second Race – Winners: Captain Kelly’s Boat (Crew – Phil McGillycuddy, Gene McGillycuddy, Tim Dwyer cox). Second: James O Sullivan’s Boat (Crew – James O Sullivan, Mikey Dwyer, M. Joy cox).

Fishermen’s Race (7-oar) – Winners: Cromane, Second: Callanfersy.

Fourth Race – Winners: James O Sullivan’s Boat (Crew – P. Brosnan, T. O Connor, M. Joy cox), Second: Captain Kelly’s Boat (Crew – Gene McGillycuddy, John Foley, Phil McGillycuddy cox).

Fishermen’s race (5-oar) – Winners: Cromane (cox M. Sugrue), Second: Callanfersy (cox M. Harmon).

Sculling Race – Winner: John Cummins, Second: Phil McGillycuddy.

Greasy Pole Contest – Winner: Willie Walsh (Prize – leg of mutton and 10/- note).

The Killorglin Pipers’ Band attended and rendered a choice selection of traditional Irish music. They were received with acclamation by the crowd.


The disruption of the social activities of the town by the postponement of the Laune Rangers v Legion match was further illustrated on Sunday 16th Sept. In order that conditions would be ideal, the Regatta Committee had to choose a day when the tide would be most suitable at the Bridge. Such a Sunday occurred only every few weeks. Sunday 9th Sept. had been perfect in that respect but the committee, to facilitate the Sports Committee, had postponed the regatta until the 16th, when most inclement weather had made an uncomfortable day for the spectators and an ebbing tide made rowing difficult for the crews. The Cromane boats won both the 7-oar and 5-oar races. First and second places in the 100 yards and 200 yards swimming races were won, respectively, by Timmy Corkery, Laune View, and Michael Sheehy, Anglont.


One of the worst spells of rain experienced that winter came on the last day and night of 1945. It was most regrettable, as it effectively dampened the spirits of those who had planned to welcome the New Year in with customary gaiety. The members of the Pipers’ Band, however, did their best under difficult circumstances. Four youths, carrying blazing torches, lit the way for Messrs. Doyle and McMahon, who were costumed to represent the New Year and the Old. Escorted by the Pipers’ Band, they traversed every street, finishing their night’s performance in the Square. The Band, as the old year passed into the new, played ‘Faith of our Fathers.’