Senior Football League Division 5A 2
20 June 2021, 2:00 pm
3-15 - 2-13
Laune Rangers
Senior B Team

Match Report

(report: Sinead Pigott)

Laune Rangers B Team suffered their second loss of the County League campaign on Sunday afternoon, but not without putting in a monumental effort on the day in a tough away game against Kilgarvan.  A number of missing men from the A Team – playing at the same time in Milltown – had a knock on effect for the Bs, while other injuries meant that only 16 player were available to the squad.

It was a game that ebbed and flowed throughout but nonetheless kept the small crowd of supporters entertained until the final whistle.  Points were traded between Seán Casey & Colm O’Shea (free) in the early stages before points were added for the home side by Richard O’Sullivan, Ronan Foley and Jack Foley to leave Kilgarvan leading by three.  Some good link work between Rangers’ Cian O’Shea and Jack Healy saw Healy slot over a point soon after, while there were calls for a Laune Rangers penalty in the 9th minute when it appeared Colm O’Shea was dragged to the ground.  However, the referee paid no heed to the calls, much to the confusion of many present.  A Corey Murphy free left Kilgarvan leading by 0-5 to 0-2 at the first half water break.

Laune Rangers stalwart Mike Frank Russell traded points with Ronan Foley before the game’s first goal – some good link play between Jack Foley, Ronan Foley and Corey Murphy seeing Ronan Foley slot the ball past Vinney Costello in the Laune Rangers net to put Kilgarvan 1-06 to 0-03 ahead.  Rangers responded immediately though, with a point from Marc Clifford.  Points were traded between Corey Murphy & Callum Russell.  Richard O’Sullivan pointed to put his side six points ahead, but Rangers rallied to finish the half strongly – Mike Frank Russel (2, 1f) and Cian O’Shea scored points to halve the deficit before the break. Half Time Score:- Kilgarvan 1-8, Laune Rangers B 0-8.

Both sides found another gear in the second half which made for an entertaining 30 minutes of football. A good clearance by James Treacy led to a point for Gavin O’Shea to open the second half scoring, before Corey Murphy cancelled it out with a point that split the posts.  The sides were level in the 39th minute when Gavin O’Shea saw his shot deflected into the back of the Kilgarvan net – Laune Rangers’ goalkeeper Vinney Costello had saved a Kilgarvan shot on the other end and the ball was worked through the ranks with some good work from Eamon Carey and Mike Frank before finding Gavin, who made no mistake to tie the game at 1-9 apiece. Game on!  Gavin’s brothers Colm & Cian O’Shea added points to put Rangers ahead for the first time, but the home side replied in kind with points from Ronan and Jack Foley to level matters again.  A good interception by Ronan O’Shea was the start of a good passage of play for Laune Rangers which ended in a well taken Jack Healy goal. Laune Rangers led 2-11 to 1-11 with 14 minutes of the second half played.  That lead didn’t last long, however, as Kilgarvan attacked straight from the resulting kickout and headed goal bound. A scramble around the goalmouth saw many blocks and saves before Ronan Foley coolly slotted the ball over an outstretched Vinney Costello to level the game once more; 2-11 a piece at the 2nd half water break.

Laune Rangers’ keeper Costello injured himself in that last passage of play and was replaced in goals by Eamonn Carey for the remaining quarter, while Corey Murphy and Gavin O’Shea traded points to keep the sides level.  The turning point came in the 50th minute when Eamonn Carey was deemed to have fouled the Kilgarvan player heading for goal and referee Brendan Brosnan pointed to the penalty spot. Ronan Foley made no mistake and slotted the ball passed Carey in the Rangers’ goal to leave the score 3-12 to 2-12 in Kilgarvan’s favour with 10 minutes to play.  Mike Frank Russell cancelled out a Glyn Egan score to leave the home side a goal ahead with five minutes to play.  The lack of substitutes certainly didn’t help matters as legs began to tire.  Glyn Egan & Kieran O’Sullivan pointed to make sure of the win for Kilgarvan, although two late goal chances from Gabriel Griffin (off crossbar) and Mike Frank (saved) may have made it a more fruitful day for the visitors.  Full Time Score:- Kilgarvan 3-15, Laune Rangers 2-13.

Laune Rangers: Vincent Costello, Patrick Brennan, James Byrne, Fergus Oman, James Treacy, Ronan O’Shea, Eamon Carey, Callum Russell, Gavin O’Shea, Gabriel Griffin, Mike Frank Russell, Jack Healy, Colm O’Shea, Mark Clifford, Cian O’Shea. Sub: Dáire Clifford.

Kilgarvan: Paul Gleeson, Eoin O’Shea, Gary Randles, Michael O’Sullivan, Shane O’Sullivan, Keith Harrington, Phoenix Randles, Richard O’Sullivan, Jack Foley, Sean Casey, Kieran O’Sullivan, Glyn Egan, Corey Murphy, Ronan Foley, Dion Murphy. Sub: John Mark Foley, Tadhg O’Donoghue, Sean Godfrey, Padraigh Dillon, Daragh O’Brien, Flor O’Sullivan