Senior Football League Division 2 Rd 2
2 April 2022, 6:00 pm
Laune Rangers
1-8 - 0-13
J P O Sullivan Park
Senior Men

Match Report

Senior A vs Kilcummin 02-04-22

Laune Rangers 1-8, Kilcummin 0-13

Kilcummin’s experience told in the end of this exciting Division 2 tie in Killorglin on Saturday evening as they defeated a young Laune Rangers team.  Both sides were missing key players, but the home side were particularly young – fielding 11 players aged 22 or younger.

After Laune Rangers had pointed with the first play of the game through Dáire Cleary, Kilcummin took over and led by 0-5 to 0-1 with a quarter played – Paul O’Shea (2, 1 free), Eoghan O’Donovan (2) and Noel Duggan scoring for the visitors.

Laune Rangers grew into the game and engineered a couple of frees that were duly slotted by John Tyther.  Kilcummin captain Gary O’Leary scored from long range before Jason Browne pulled off a point blank save to deny Paul O’Shea, but the county player did add a point shortly after.  Fiachra Clifford scored two excellent points to halve the deficit, while a late goal chance saw Roan Moriarty squeeze the ball just wide of the post to leave his side trailing at the break.

Half Time Score:- Laune Rangers 0-5, Kilcummin 0-7.

Laune Rangers took the lead in the early exchanges of the second half, as a well worked move beginning with a free out by goalkeeper Jason Browne saw the ball make its way up field through half a dozen Rangers players including Eoin Clifford and Stephen Sealy, before reaching Dáire Cleary who smashed the ball to the net.

Paul O’Shea levelled matters only for Fiachra Clifford to point Rangers ahead once more.  Laune Rangers were now on top all over the field, but were unable to convert their dominance to scores.  Another goal chance presented itself, but this time Dáire Cleary’s shot went narrowly wide.  This appeared to serve as a shift in momentum as the visitors came back into the game, and were ahead again at the midway point of the second half – Paul O’Shea (2, 1 free) with the points for Kilcummin.

Points by Eoghan O’Donovan, John McCarthy and Mark O’Shea increased the Kilcummin lead to four, but a Ronan O’Shea pointed free left a goal between the sides.  The final minutes saw Rangers lay siege to the Kilcummin goal, while a number of yellow cards issued saw Shane Daly and Mark O’Shea receive their second bookings both sides were down to 14.  A pointed free by Fiachra Clifford left just two between the sides, and a late chance by Rory O’Connor saw him get through the defence with a great run only for his shot to be saved excellently by Brendan Kealy.  Laune Rangers had a final chance with a free as they were told it was the final kick of the game, but Kilcummin cleared the dropping ball and the final whistle was blown.

Full Time Score:- Laune Rangers 1-8, Kilcummin 0-13

Laune Rangers:- Jason Browne, Rory O’Connor, Seán Cleary, Ryan Diggin, Eoin Clifford (capt), Daragh O’Connor, David Mangan, Eoin O’Sullivan, Stephen Sealy, Jack O’Connor, Dáire Cleary (1-1), Ronan O’Shea (0-1f), John Tyther (0-2f), Roan Moriarty, Fiachra Clifford (0-4, 1f).  Subs: Shane Daly, Evan Madden, Daniel Macbeth, Darragh O’Grady.

Kilcummin:- Brendan Kealy, Donal Maher, Kevin McSweeney, Philip O’Leary, Dan Moynihan, Chris O’Leary, Philip Casey, Eoghan O’Donovan, Danny Cronin, Kelvin Teahan, Gary O’Leary (capt, 0-1), Andy Lowin, Noel Duggan (0-1), Paul O’Shea (0-6, 2f), Cian Foley.  Subs: Mark O’Shea, James Nagle, John McCarthy.