Senior Football League Division 1 Round 5
28 April 2024, 2:00 pm
Spa Killarney
2-9 - 2-11
Laune Rangers
Spa, Killarney
Senior Men

Match Report

Credit Union County Senior Football League, Division 1

Report by Sinéad Pigott


Spa: 2-09

Laune Rangers: 2-11


Spa hosted Laune Rangers on Sunday afternoon last in their Credit Union County Senior Football League round 5 encounter. In what was the proverbial game of two halves, Laune Rangers had the upper hand in the opening half, while their hosts took control of the 2nd half. However, it was Laune Rangers who got the scores when it mattered most and emerged victorious at the final whistle, maintaining their fantastic start to this year’s League campaign, and remaining on the top spot alongside Dr. Crokes.


Laune Rangers opened the scoring in the 3rd minute with a point from play from Gearóid Hassett before Spa sharp-shooter Evan Cronin sent over a free in the 4th minute to level the game at 0-01 apiece. On the kick-out, Laune Rangers’ Oisín Birmingham played a one-two with Eoin O’Sullivan with Birmingham continuing his run and slotting over a point to put Rangers one point to the good. In the 6th minute, Laune Rangers’ Fiachra Clifford did well under pressure to find Patrick Daly who sent over Rangers’ third of the afternoon, 0-03 to 0-01 in the visitors’ favour. Gearóid Hassett intercepted the resulting Spa kick-out and went through for the game’s first goal giving Rangers a five-point cushion, 1-03 to 0-01. Evan Cronin replied with a point for the home-side in the 8th minute. Soon after, a Laune Rangers side-line kick was brought in for dissent, making it all the easier for Patrick Daly who added to his tally to let the score 1-04 to 0-02 in the visitors’ favour with 10 minutes of the opening half played.

Spa sprung for their first goal of the afternoon in the 11th minute when corner forward David Spillane split the Rangers defence and cooly slotted the ball into the net to close Rangers’ lead to two points. Fiachra Clifford and Dáire Cleary linked up well for Rangers in the 12th minute with Cleary turning and splitting the posts with his effort. Dan O’Donoghue landed another well-taken effort for the home-side soon after to let two points between the sides once more, 1-05 to 1-03 in Laune Rangers’ favour mid-way through the opening half.

A Fiachra Clifford free followed by another free from the boot of Patrick Daly put Laune Rangers four points ahead by the 23rd minute. Spa’s Ryan Carroll added his name to the score-sheet for the home-side in the 27th minute before Fiachra Clifford added the final point of the half for the visitors soon after. Score at the half-time whistle: Laune Rangers 1-08 to 1-04 Spa.

The second half started slowly with both sides working hard to dispossess the other and both registering a number of wides in the opening minutes. Spa, however, emerged for the second half with a renewed fire in their belly and upped the ante. A pointed free from Evan Cronin in the 8th minute closed their deficit. Cronin was on hand again a minute later with another effort, this time from play, to let just two points between the sides once more, 1-08 to 1-06. Spa’s second goal came in the 11th minute. A David Spillane effort dropped short and was spilled by Pádraig Ahern in the Laune Rangers goal. Spa’s Cian Tobin was on hand to knock it passed Ahern into the Laune Rangers net and the game swung in Spa’s favour, 2-07 to 1-08. Another Spa point quickly followed giving them a two-point lead and plenty confidence. Spa substitute Michael Kearney put the goal between the sides in the 15th minute.

As the minutes ticked by, both sides found it increasingly difficult to maintain possession and the game turned into a scrappy affair with both sides again registering a number of wides. Laune Rangers, however, were finding it particularly difficult to get their grip back on the game. Scoreless in the second half until the 27th minute when Fiachra Clifford went on the attack before finding Seán Cleary who steadied himself and sent over his first point of the afternoon. Laune Rangers’ Eoin Clifford saw his effort curl beautifully over in the 28th minute and it was a one-point game heading into the closing minutes. John Burke won the resulting kick-out for Laune Rangers and headed on the attack. A little side-step as he approached the on-coming Spa keeper, Shay O’Meara, and Burke sent the ball goal-bound giving Laune Rangers a two-point lead once more, 2-10 to 2-08 with 30 minutes played. Substitute Matthew Leslie pushed Laune Rangers further ahead when he added another free to Laune Rangers’ tally in the 31st minute. It made for a nervous final few minutes as referee Tom Corbett let the game continue and Spa battled hard in search of a goal. The game’s final score came from Ryan Carroll who pointed from play for Spa in the 33rd minute. Full-time score: Laune Rangers 2-11 to 2-09 Spa.


Teams and Scorers:

Laune Rangers: Pádraig Ahern, Ciarán O’Sullivan, Seán Arthurs, Oisín Birmingham, Eoin Clifford (0-1), Seán Cleary (0-1), Tom Whittleton, Callum Moriarty, Shane Daly, Stephen Sealy, Fiachra Clifford (0-2, 1f), Patrick Daly (0-3, 2f), Gearóid Hassett (1-1), Eoin O’Sullivan, Dáire Cleary (0-1). SUBS: Killian Spillane, John Burke (1-0), Jason Browne, Matthew Leslie, Roan Moriarty.