Laune Rangers – 1919


Laune Rangers were defeated by Tralee Mitchels, the eventual winners, in the first round of the Co. Senior Football Championship.


The sports-field was ploughed and the club used the Fair-Field for practice. Later in the year, the club rented the Race-course in Sunhill for games in the local league.


* * * * * * * * * * *


Paddy Foley was Chairman of the Laune Rangers’ Club.


Co. Senior Football Championship

Eleven teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship, Killarney Crokes, Firies, Tralee Mitchels, Laune Rangers, Ballymac, Glenflesk, Kilcummin, Castleisland, Listowel, Dromlought and Dingle.


Rd. 1 on 15th June at Killarney: Tralee Mitchels 3-4; Laune Rangers 0-2.

Great interest was manifested in the contest, as the reputation of both clubs stood high in Gaelic circles in the county. The match, especially in the first half, was well contested, the Rangers showing up in splendid form and pressing their opponents in a determined manner. Want of training, however, was plainly visible in the second half and the Mitchels retired victors by a comfortable margin. Dick Fitzgerald refereed the game in a capable and satisfactory manner.

Killorglin were first away and made a determined attack on the Mitchels’ lines where the ball was held for fully five minutes, an over resulting. Killorglin, securing well in, raised the white flag per Ross. The delivery was well received by John Joe Sheehy, who put the Mitchels’ forwards to work and the movement resulted in a point, making the scores even. Killorglin attacked determinedly from the kick-out and the Mitchels had to concede a ‘50’ to relieve the pressure, but an over resulted. On resuming, the Mitchels attacked and Sheehy, from about 30 yards out, scored a goal, which was quickly followed by a point. That reverse put new life into the Rangers and, coming on in a rattling style, succeeded in scoring a point from a free. The halftime score was 1-2 to 0-2 in favour of Mitchels.

On resuming, the Mitchels put in some telling work and attacked the Killorglin posts determinedly. The Rangers, however, were equal to the occasion and they held their opponents at bay. The Mitchels, however, were not to be denied and Con Clifford, securing, raised the green flag for Tralee. Killorglin forced the play but an over resulted. From the kick-out, Michael McQuinn got possession and passed to Eugene Hogan who raised the white flag for the Mitchels. Give and take play then resulted and a ‘50’ taken by Martin Carroll was muffed by the Killorglin goalie and Greg Ashe, coming along, drove into the net for the Mitchels’ third goal. Best for the Rangers were Nick Flynn, in goals, Ross, who scored the first point, and Paddy Kennelly at midfield, who might have received greater support. All of the backs were worthy of much credit.


Mitchels, captained by Martin Carroll, went on to win the Co. Championship by defeating Dingle in the final by 3-3 to 2-2 on Sun. 25th April 1920.


Senior Football Challenge Games


Thurs. 29th May: Inch 0-8; Killorglin 0-1.

The day was one of intense heat and a vast crowd gathered to witness the contest. It was apparent from the start that the Inch team would be the victors and when the halftime whistle was blown they led by 0-4 to 0-0. The Killorglin team, on the resumption, made a move to get the ball to the Inch goal but always were driven back. The game resulted in an easy win for Inch.


Sun. 1st June at Milltown: Keel defeated Killorglin.

Two games were scheduled to be played, Keel v Farranfore and Ballymac v Killorglin, but only the former and the latter showed up. The day’s programme was to begin at 3pm and it was 6pm before a game could be arranged between Keel and Killorglin. ‘Pars from Puck’ was not very complimentary of the organisation of the day or the performance of the representatives of Killorglin in his column of Sat. 7th June (see below).


Sun. 29th June at Steelroe: Steelroe 3-5; Killorglin 3-4.

There was more than the usual interest in that game, which was played on Sunday evening before quite a large crowd. The play was at intervals most exciting and certainly most interesting. The home team, though not as well up in the code as the visitors, played very well from the throw-in and earned the victory, which was awarded them.

Playing with the wind in the first half, the Killorglin team seemed to have the advantage and made the most of it, placing, before the interval, 3-2 to their credit against 1-2 for their opponents. At the change of sides, however, things took a different turn and, although the Steelroe fifteen played anything but a nice game – having been whistled up six times – they had  the winning score. Bob Dodd captained the Killorglin side and John O Reilly the Steelroe victors. Pat Teahan acted as referee. The field could have been in better order for the game.


Sun. 13th July at Dungeel: Killorglin 1-0; Tuogh 0-0.

That was a really hard-fought game and, although on the untrained side, now and then was most interesting. One goal, allowed by the referee after some heat, registered by Killorglin, was the only score made. Fast and occasionally furious was the play and it was a pity that the game did not start at the scheduled time.


Sun. 28th Sept. at Keel: Keel 2-4; Laune Rangers 4-1.

The game was played in the presence of a large crowd. The match was fast and interesting from the beginning and, for a time, it looked as if Keel were to win but, after the first half, the Rangers got going and won the game.


District/Parish Senior Football League

At a meeting on Tues. 21st October, the district was divided into four sections, each section to play every other section. The boundaries were marked and all preliminaries arranged. Milltown and Glenbeigh were to be invited to send teams to join the league and, in the event of they so doing, the league would consist of six teams, which would provide much practice and pleasure during the winter.


Rd. 1 on Sunday 26th Oct. at Sunhill: Killorglin North 3-1; Killorglin South 0-0.

The teams represented the North and South sides of the town. The match was really interesting and was witnessed by a large crowd. The North side included of Jamesie O Shea, John O Donnell, Corney Bawn O Connor, Denny Bawn, Pa Healy, Ted Mangan, Mikey Griffin and Michael Sheehan. The South side included Pa o Shea, Peter O Shea, Tommy Curran, Jer O Grady, Eddie O Sullivan, Billy O Sullivan, Jer Mangan and Myles Johnston.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 9th Nov. at Sunhill: Langford Street v Iveragh Road.

Owing to the unfavourable weather the match was postponed and was fixed for the following Sunday. The selection committees of both teams were leaving nothing undone to bring victory to their own side. The club was making a nominal charge for admission, which they left to the generosity of the followers to pay or not, as they had no protected enclosure. It was made known that it was those who could best afford it and who shouted the loudest were the first to refuse or avoided paying the few pence expected on such occasions.


Unfortunately, ‘Pars from Puck’ in the edition of the Kerryman of Sat. 29th Nov. reported the following: “It would appear that the local football league is to go the way of the many local organisations. For the past few Sundays no match has been played nor does there appear any prospect of one for Sunday next. The weather was held responsible in a measure but it appeared really as if the rain came as not unwelcome camouflage, as there was evident little enthusiasm or inclination to have an evening’s football.”




Alderman James Nolan was Uachtarán CLG.

At Annual Congress in the Mansion House, Dublin, it was decided by 50 votes to 31 to disqualify civil servants, who took the Oath of Allegiance to the British Government, from membership of the Association.


The Munster Council Convention was held in Limerick on 6th April. The following officers were re-elected: Chairman – Jeremiah O Brien (An Clár), Secretary – Pat McGrath (Tiobrad Árainn) and Treasurer – Ailbe Quillinan (Luimneach).


The Annual Convention of the Kerry Co. Board was held on Sat. 22nd March at the Railway Hotel, Tralee. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Austin Stack (in prison), Vice-Chairman – J.P. O Connell, Joint-Secretaries – Denis J. Baily and W.J. Foley; Joint-Treasurers – Denis Lawlor and John Moran, Delegates to Munster Council – Denis Lawlor and Nicholas M Stack. There was a long discussion on the motion for Congress to disqualify civil servants, who had taken the Oath of Allegiance to the British Government, from the Association. It was decided to pass a resolution in favour of the inclusion of the civil servants but, owing to the lack of facts, the delegates to Congress were left with an open mind.


In April, the sports-field, which the Laune Rangers’ Club had used for many years, was ploughed and, for the summer, the club used the Fair-Field for practice. At the beginning of October, the club rented the race-course in Sunhill for practice and for the running of a local league. The first football practice took place in the race-course on Sun. 9th October. Quite a good number put in an appearance and a strenuous evening’s work was done.


At the Co. Board meeting on Sat. 1st Nov. the application of the Killorglin Football Club to run league matches was granted on the condition, suggested by Dick Fitzgerald, that a quarter of the gross gate receipts be given to the Co. Board.


‘Pars from Puck’, in the Kerryman of Sat. 12th April, continued his promptings of the Laune Rangers: “After a season of rest and quiet, the local football club is again organising, having been reminded of its inactivity since the match played against Farranfore. They are to affiliate as usual this year, and let us hope that – as is generally the case – the local footballers will not be satisfied with becoming affiliated. It is a well-known fact that in this town and district there may be found material sufficient for a first-class Gaelic team, but, what with local disagreements, petty jealousies and alleged prejudice in selecting the chosen representatives for some time past, have not been the best exponents of the game obtainable locally. We hope that, like the rest of the Kingdom, Killorglin will this season do its part for the grand old game, which has made Kerry famous on both sides of the equator. To the work then, Laune Rangers, and may your efforts be crowned with success. The defeat by Farranfore is yet to be wiped out after which there are some other ‘old debts”.

‘Pars from Puck’ on Sat. 19th April: “The local Gaels seem in earnest in their efforts to re-organise the football club and so to assist the county in their ‘work of reconstruction’. The great difficulty at present here is that of finding a suitable field – the sports-field of a few years ago being now under the plough. However, the Fair Field was the training ground on more than one occasion for able representatives of Killorglin and worthy successors of the old Laune Rangers. Of course it has its disadvantages – and they are many – but until a suitable ground be provided, why not practice on this? Let a start be made anyway.”

‘Pars from Puck’ on Sat. 3rd May: “Earnestness seems at last to have got hold of our local footballers. As in this column, mentioned a few weeks ago, the GAA Club was at a loss for a field for their practice but ‘where there’s a will, there’s a way’. Not to take defeat so easily, they have now begun to practice in the Fair Field and so have given us the impression that they are in earnest in their efforts. Such being the case, and the number at present on the field continuing, we have no fear for the success of the club’s representatives when matches are to be played.”

‘Pars from Puck’ on Sat. 7th June: “The organisation, the arrangements and the action of the teams who did not put in an appearance, as well as that of those who did, at Milltown on Sunday last call for special remark. Two matches had been on the programme, Killorglin v Ballymac and Farranfore v Keel. Of those, only the first and the last put in an appearance. This showed a great indifference on the part of the others and, seeing that the matches were in aid of a very worthy fund, the Co. Board ought to get their reasons for not attending. It certainly shows very bad organisation when matters go on like this. One would expect that the Co. Board should pay special attention to these matches, seeing that they are organised to aid one of our Kerry stalwarts, the one who on several occasions held up the reputation of the Kingdom at the posts. When a match was at long last arranged between Keel and Killorglin, there was some delay over the referee, as the organisers had overlooked appointing one, so that the teams lined up at 6pm, though the day’s programme was to begin at 3! Action like this will certainly serve to discredit the GAA in the county as, when followers are occasionally let down thus, they will in the end treat championship fixtures with suspicion too.

We have a club here from which we expected great things but we are once again disappointed. Last Sunday’s display together with that of the previous week was sufficient to show lack of enthusiasm, interest and organisation. The least said of the match played with Keel the better. Suffice to say that the local fifteen were ‘beaten off the field’. A single score saved them on Sunday last. Now, it is, to say the least of it, very bad business organisation and shows very little enthusiasm when the team is just selected on the field prior to the match – no meeting of club, no committee appointed, no practice match held, no trouble taken, not even that of asking all the members of their club to attend the match. Is this as it should be? Surely the team that can be credited with action (rather than inaction) like this does not lay claim to being earnest. There never was more material for a first class fifteen in the town, and about, than there is at present but that fifteen needs selection and after that practice. We are really glad to see our ‘talkers’ up against Tralee in the first round of the championship, for it is better that they should be bowled over first time and so get the lesson, which will take the conceit (if such it is) off the leaders. There is, at present, every likelihood of fixing up the difference, which existed between two local sections, and so organising a good team, but we fear that the opportunity will be lost. The Gaels of the district appeal once more for the footballers to be earnest and make one more effort at serious practice.”

‘Pars from Puck’ on Sat. 21st June, after the Co. Championship match versus Tralee: “The last has been heard of football in Killorglin for some time. ‘Finis’ has been written to the career of the local footballers in the present year’s county championship, Tralee being easy victors of last Sunday’s match. Retailing facts now will serve no useful purpose, but the followers of the local fifteen on Sunday expected no other result, unless that of a larger score for the Mitchels. We must admit that our club had no field to practice on but, even outside that, they did not show that interest in the event one would expect – they did not make sure of their players until just the evening previous to the match and we saw them on Sunday ‘filling up the gaps’ from the followers! The usual way with the Killorglin players of late. Some of them did much in the way of providing a field and, even though it was some distance from the town, went there for a few evenings of last week, but others depended on their reputation and on chance.

It was evident from an early stage in the play that our boys were wanting in practice, judgement and combination, in all of which their opponents were away beyond them. Material for a first class team there certainly was from here but in what a weak state. This was evident to anybody who happened to be present. The individual play of a few was remarkably good, but from them their followers expected nothing else, and so they were rewarded by the confidence of the supporters. The point scored in the early minute of the play by Ross is worthy of mention, as are the many saves at the posts by the old custodian, Flynn. Midfield was safe in the hands of Kennelly, who might have got much more support and the backs were, indeed, worthy of much credit.

We would suggest to the club to carry on and do a little practice still to keep their material together and in form and, when next season’s contests come round, so to regain their reputation. It is the usual custom here to let things drift until a fixture is made and then it is found that the opportunities have gone ere they are realised. For the last match, the club states they did not have the usual three weeks’ notice, but an active club would be Always Ready.”


Kerry won the Munster Senior Football Championship by beating Tipperary in Cork by 2-4 to 1-4, Waterford in Tralee by 6-5 to 0-0 and Clare in the final on Sun. 3rd Aug. at Ennis by 0-11 to 2-0 but lost the All-Ireland Semi-final to Galway on Sun. 14th Sept. by 4-2 to 2-2.

Kerry: Con Clifford (Mitchels) capt., Danny Mullins (do.) goal, P. Sheehan, Tom Costello (do.), John Dunne (do.), Maurice Carroll (do.), John O Connor (do.), John Joe Sheehy (do.), Paddy Healy (Killarney), Humphrey Murphy (do.), Maurice Donovan (do), Eugene Moriarty (do.), Phil O Sullivan (Ballymac), John O Connor (Killarney) and Jim Bailey (Ballymac).


* * * * * * * * * * * *


The Caragh Lake Regatta took place in most favourable weather conditions on Sun. 20th July. An attended attraction was the number of recitations being presented in both Irish and English. The following poem, penned by D. O’S., appeared in the Kerryman in connection with the Regatta:


“Caragh Lake


There are beautiful spots in old Ireland,

With the best Caragh Lake can compare,

And the glens and the valleys around it

Of true hearts and brave hold a share.

But the beautiful spots will be shaded,

And brave hearts in sorrow shall be,

While the land that they love is degraded,

So let’s work that our Land may be free.


In the homes and the schools and the meetings

Love of language and land must be taught,

And in business as well as pleasure

What’s un-Irish be constantly fought.

In language and feeling and outlook

All the people around Caragh Lake

Should unite in affection for Ireland,

And its cause they should never forsake.


Be firm as the rocks on the mountain,

Be clean as the air n the glens,

Be strong as the waves on the shore,

‘Til Ireland is free once again.

Let us free all our minds and our bodies,

We’ll soon shake the foreigners’ thrall,

And the speech and the spirit of Ireland

Will then place their bonds over all.”

Having won a landslide victory in the General Election in December 1918, Sinn Fein established the first Dáil in late January. In June, Killorglin forwarded £150 to the funds of Dáil Éireann. £74 of the amount was cash supplied to the Anti-Conscription Fund and had not been applied for to be returned to the subscribers. The balance was subscribed by the people of the parish, Nauntenane’s subscription being £8-9s.