Laune Rangers – 1927


For a variety of reasons, the Killorglin Football Club did not operate to any degree of efficiency.

  • It had lost a number of its players through emigration.
  • There had been dissatisfaction that a greater number of players from the area had not been given a chance with the Co. Junior Football team.
  • The 1926 East-Kerry League Football had been dragged out through 1927 and the final game was not played until March 1928.


Jack O Dwyer, principal of the Intermediate School, was re-elected as Treasurer of the Co. Schools & Colleges Committee.


Tadhg McGillycuddy, Coolbane, captained the Munster Colleges Football team


Tadhg McGillycuddy played at left fullback on the Kerry team that lost the All-Ireland Junior Football semi-final to Dublin.


The inactivity of the GAA Club in Killorglin led to some of the players becoming involved in rugby at the end of the year.


* * * * * * * * * * *


Co. Senior Football Championship

The Co. Senior Football Championship was not held due to the fact that the 1926 Co. Final was not played until September 1927 and the county team was involved until the All-Ireland Final.


East-Kerry Senior Football League (1926)


Rd. 5 on Sun. 5th June: Killorglin w/o; Kilcummin scr.

Kilcummin was unable to field a team. However, Killorglin was not awarded the points.


Rd. 6 on Sun. 31st July at Farranfore: Castleisland defeated Killorglin.

‘Pars from Puck’ was not very hopeful of victory as he wrote the following in the Kerryman prior to the game: ‘After a long lapse, it is well to see that our representatives on the football field are to line out against Castleisland at Dicksboro on Sunday next in an East-Kerry League tie. How our lads will fare is very easy to say, for a football is almost a complete stranger to them now. Readers know that they have now no sports-field – could not come to terms with the owner – and it is difficult to expect that a team, which has not met for months and, as a matter of fact, which scarcely exists, can hopefully meet any team, even the weakest in the East-Kerry Division. We have very little hope indeed for the success of Killorglin on Sunday.’


Rd. 7 on Sun. 6th Nov. at Killarney: Killarney w/o; Killorglin scr.

The Killarney team lined out punctually. Then it transpired that Killorglin had not yet put in an appearance. After consultations with the officials, the referee awarded the match to Killarney, owing to the failure of Killorglin to turn out.


The following was the positions of the teams in the League at the end of the year:

Teams           P W D L     Total Points

Castleisland 5 4 0 0           8*

Killarney       4 3 0 0           6*

Headford      4 2 0 2           4

Fossa               3 2 0 1           4

Kenmare        2 1 0 1            2

Currow           4 1 0 3            2

Killorglin        4 0 1 3            1

Rathmore        3 0 0 3           0

*No points had been awarded in the Castleisland v Killarney game as the committee had been awaiting the referee’s report on the game.


At a meeting of the East-Kerry League in the UDC Hall, Killarney, on Sun. 12th Feb, chaired by Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan, it was decided that teams that had lost more than two matches would have to retire from the competition – exit Killorglin.


The final game of the competition, Killarney v Headford, was played in Farranfore on Sun. 25th March 1928 and resulted in draw (0-3 each). Killarney, having the most points in the League, were declared the winners of the 1926 East-Kerry League.


Schools’/Colleges’ Football


Dunloe Cup

Rd. 1 on Sun. 13th March at Killorglin: Intermediate School, Killorglin 1-0; CBS Cahersiveen 1-0.

The weather was ideal and the attendance was good, a large number having come from Cahersiveen. The teams were lined out just three minutes after the scheduled time. Killorglin played with the slight incline but the visitors had the advantage of a slight breeze for the first half. Although the home team appeared somewhat lighter than their opponents, from the start they showed up well and, from the outset, it was evident that the teams were evenly matched, stubborn and well-contested was the game throughout. Though the backs on each side were severely tested, the halftime whistle found the ball at midfield, neither side having registered a score.

Immediately after the change-over, Cahersiveen looked like scoring but their efforts were frustrated and the play was taken to the other end where, after ten minutes, Killorglin succeeded in raising the green flag. Again the play was even, the ball travelling first towards one goal and then the other. There was an apparent lull after which Killorglin narrowly missed a minor score. The visitors were unfortunate in an effort shortly after and at about five minutes from full-time they scored a goal very neatly and had another attack, which was beaten off. Play was again at midfield when the final whistle was blown after a very good hour’s play in which there was an exhibition of Gaelic football, which was a credit to the thirty lads who had participated. There was nothing but the best spirit and open, manly play during the game.

Ref: Pat O Mahony (Killarney).


1st Rd. (replay) on Sun. 10th April at Cahersiveen: CBS Cahersiveen 1-2; Intermediate School 1-2.

When the teams lined out, it was seen that Killorglin were much the heavier combination and, playing against a stiff breeze in the first half, they dominated the play. With the scores at the interval reading, Killorglin 1-0, Cahersiveen 0-2, it looked as if the former would have a runaway victory when aided by the breeze but such was not to be the case as, from the resumption, Cahersiveen put more steam into their work and tackled better that in the first half with the result that, after a nice bit of combination, the ball was sent into Drummy who sent in a stinging shot that the Laune custodian had no chance of saving. That gave Cahersiveen a lead of two points. Play then improved considerably and there were several exciting passages. A determined rush by Killorglin was rewarded with a point. The Laune Boys then worked like Trojans to level the scores and the Iveragh lads, playing just as determinedly, made the pace fast. For a long time, it looked as if there was to be no further scoring until, with two minutes to go, Killorglin sent in the equaliser. Cahersiveen then broke away and, although playing against a stiff breeze and on a heavy sod, they bombarded their opponents’ citadel but were unable to penetrate the stonewall defence. All things considered, both teams acquitted themselves with high credit.


1st Rd (2nd replay) on Sun. 24th April at Tralee: Cahersiveen 1-4; Intermediate School 1-2.

The game was played as a curtain-raiser to the 1926 Co. Football Final. A strong wind blew diagonally from the town end of the pitch, which considerably hampered the play. Killorglin, playing with the wind, met with a stout defence. A long kick from Riordan found the net for a soft goal. Keeping up the attacks, the Laune lads added two further points, but sent wide on numerous occasions. They led at the interval by 1-2 to 0-0.

On resumption, play was in the Killorglin territory. After 15 minutes, the Iveragh boys scored an easy goal off a free and sent wide on several occasions when nicely placed. Nearing the end, the Caher boys showed superior form and ran out winners. Ref: Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan.


Inter-provincial Colleges’ Football Competition

That was the inaugural year of the competition and players had to be under 20 years on the 1st August 1927.

A trial game was played on Sat. 30th April at UCC Grounds, the Mardyke, in order to select a Munster team. Tadhg McGillycuddy (Killorglin) captained the probables’ team and Ned Healy was a substitute. The Munster Colleges’ colours were green, white and gold.


Semi-final on Sat. 7th May at Croke Park: Munster 7-5; Leinster 0-0.

Munster: Michael O Hanlon (St. Michael’s, Listowel), Paddy Walsh (CBS, Tralee), Tadhg McGillycuddy (St. Brendan’s) capt., Edward Murphy (St. Colman’s), George Powell (St. Brendan’s), Tom Moriarty (do.), Eugene Powell (Technical College, Tralee), John Costello (CBS, Tralee), Patrick Clifford (St. Brendan’s), M. O Connor (High School, Clonmel), Mícheál O Rourke (CBS, Tralee), Bob Murphy (St. Brendan’s), Tim Landers (CBS, Tralee), W. McMahon (St. Brendan’s), Finbarr Reeney (CBS, Tralee).

Munster Colleges Football team (All-Ireland Champions) 1927

Munster Colleges Football team (All-Ireland Champions) 1927
Back (l to r): Mícheál O Rourke (Tralee CBS), Miko Doyle (Tralee Tech), Michael O Hanlon (St. Michael’s, Listowel), Barry Reaney (Tralee CBS), Mick Healy (do), Eugene Powell (Tralee Tech), Paddy Walsh (Tralee CBS), (?), Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan.
Middle: (?), M. O Connor (Clonmel CBS), Bob Murphy (St. Brendan’s, Killarney), George Powell (do), Canon Breen (President St. Brendan’s), Paddy Clifford (St. Brendan’s), (?), Tom Moriarty (do).
Front: (?), W. McMahon (St. Brendan’s), (?), Tadhg McGillycuddy (do) capt., Bruddy Costello (Tralee CBS), Tim ‘Roundy’ Landers (do), Johnny Walsh (St. Brendan’s)

Munster Junior Football Championship (1926)


Rd. 1 on Sun. 29th May at Tralee: Kerry 3-5; Cork 0-0.

Tadhg McGillycuddy played at left halfback.


A trial game was held in Tralee on Sun. 23rd July with the following Killorglin players involved: Thaddeus Cashman, Eddie Clifford and Tadhg McGillycuddy.


All-Ireland Semi-final on Sun. 10th July at Waterford: Dublin 2-5; Kerry 1-4.

Tadhg McGillycuddy played at left fullback.




W.P. Clifford, Luimneach, was Uachtarán CLG.


The Annual Convention of the Munster Council was held in Thurles on Sunday 13th March. The following officers were re-elected: Chairman – Jerry O Brien (An Clár), Secretary – Pat McGrath (Tiobrad Árainn) and Treasurer – Ailbe Quillinan (Luimneach).


The Annual Convention of the Kerry Co. Board was held in Tralee Courthouse on Sat. 26th Feb. The following officers were elected: President – Austin Stack, Chairman – Jack McCarthy (62 votes), P.J. O Connell (33 votes), Hon. Secretary – Denis J. Baily, Hon. Treasurers – Con Clifford (90 votes), John Moran (56). Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan questioned the constitution of the Convention, quoting from the rule- book that each club had been entitled to two delegates not each team as was the situation. The imbalance occurred when the Tralee clubs, which had four teams each, sent eight delegates each to the Convention. Ultimately, it was decided to proceed with the business of the agenda.


The first AGM of the Kerry Schools and Colleges was held in the Jeffers Institute, Tralee, on Sat. 13th Nov. 1926. The following officers were re-elected: Patron – His Lordship, the Bishop of Kerry, Dr. Charles O Sullivan, President – Very Rev. Canon John Breen (St. Brendan’s, Killarney), Vice-President – Rev. Brother Turner (CBS, Tralee), Hon. Secretary – Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan, Hon. Treasurer – Jack O Dwyer (Intermediate School, Killorglin).

At a meeting of the Schools and Colleges on 10th Dec., which was attended by Jack O Dwyer, it was strongly advocated that both hurling and handball should be developed in the schools.

At the meeting on Sat. 19th Feb., which was attended by Jack O Dwyer, the draws for the competitions were made. Intermediate School was drawn at home to CBS Cahersiveen in the Dunloe Cup.


‘Pars from Puck’ by Laune Ranger started early in the year in his efforts to get the Killorglin team to make an effort, when he wrote in the Kerryman on Sat. 29th Jan, “In local football, matters are being taken very easily. The weather is generally given as the big excuse but it is time indeed that the footballers met somewhere to arrange their affairs. Ní hé lá na gaoithe, lá na scolb. They have suffered rather severely by emigration for the past few months and their ranks will need strengthening. Yes, the successors of the Laune Rangers will surely need to awaken very soon to their responsibilities.”

‘Pars from Puck’ in the Kerryman of Sat. 28th May complained at Killorglin’s lack of representation on the Co. Junior Football team, “It is a matter of much local comment that, in Kerry Junior selections recently, Killorglin has got no representation. With our very limited area from which to select, we have, with the exception of a short lapse, always sent forward a team and, though not recently figuring in championship events, have had in our midst some men of outstanding ability, but for these there seems no recognition. Given fair play, we have even now a few well worthy of a trial on the Junior string. We have (Denis) Curran, (Ted) Mangan and Eddie Clifford who, given the opportunity, ought to do themselves and the team justice. It is indeed strange that, even though our team ran up in the final of the East-Kerry League last year, they got no representation on the East-Kerry selection. These are matters of much comment and, whilst having every regard for the difficulties of selection committees, we are of the opinion that Killorglin is not getting a fair show.”

‘Pars from Puck’ on Sat. 24th Dec. bemoaned the demise of the local football club, “Killorglin, long the cradle of Gaelic Football in the county, has now lowered the flag to the extent that there is no active football club in the district. There is no need, in these notes, to refer to the achievements of the Laune Rangers in the past, from the time they took the name of the Kingdom to the Metropolis to a few short years ago when those, who wore the colours of their predecessors, were defeated in the final of the East-Kerry League. Readers are also aware of the facts but it is surely a matter of much and deep regret that there is now no team here. We recognise the difficulty certainly, with emigration the chief opponent and want of funds the next. Many of our local Gaels speak of not getting a fair show too. That, however, was a matter for their representatives on the various Boards. Now rugby has come along and claimed some of the best we had on the Gaelic field. Though times have changed, it may here be worthy of note that the famous Laune Rangers of Clonturk Park and All-Ireland fame were originally rugby players and, while holding no brief for rugby or any game in particular, we fail to see how that fact made the old Rangers anything less National or anything less earnest in their enthusiasm for the Gaelic game. There are many things, which we may say, but, as we do not purpose opening a discussion on the matter, we just once again express our regret at the absence of a Gaelic team or club.”


‘Arbutus’, in the East-Kerry GAA notes in the Kerryman at the beginning of 1928, also bemoaned the demise of Gaelic football in the Killorglin area and the hostile penetration of the ‘foreign invasion’, “One district, which occupied a prominent place in the 1926 League, is a source of grave anxiety and concern at the present moment – a district which holds a proud record in the earlier annals of the Association’s history in Kerry, namely Killorglin. Here some of the hard-working, though impressionable, Gaels have seceded from their allegiance to the GAA, receiving encouragement from men, whose lifelong acts and utterances have been openly inimical to national aspirations. We believe the proud tradition associated with the famous Laune Rangers will assert itself and that the present ‘flash-in-the-pan’ will meet the same fate that befell it in Castleisland. We look to the veteran Paddy Foley, who figured prominently in Kerry Junior ranks in the Louth days, Tadhg O Reilly, Willie McSweeney and the other energetic Gaels, who have given unselfish devotion to the national pastimes, to raise the national flag to its hitherto unsullied position in the home of the Laune Rangers.”


The semi-final of the Kerry Colleges’ O Sullivan Cup was played in Killorglin on Sun. 22nd May and astute judges of the game reckoned it to be one of the finest battles fought for years in the home of football. Tralee CBS defeated St. Brendan’s by 3-6 to 4-1. Denis Curran, Tadhg McGillycuddy and Johnsie O Connor, who had played with St. Brendan’s the previous year, were sorely missed. The field of play was a good distance from the town and the grass was rather long for football. Subsequently, St. Brendan’s objected to the awarding of the game to Tralee on the basis that the winning team was improperly constituted. The objection was heard at the meeting of the Schools and Colleges Committee at the Jeffers Institute, Tralee on Sat. 4th June, with Jack O Dwyer, Intermediate School, Killorglin, in the chair. No decision was taken at that meeting but at the later meeting the objection was defeated.

The final of the Dunloe Cup was played in Tralee on Sun. 29th May. St. Brendan’s defeated Cahersiveen CBS by 6-5 to 0-0. Danny Clifford, Killorglin, refereed the game.


The National Football Leagues were introduced in earnest (There had been an effort to play the league in 1925/26 and Laois were the winners). There were four divisions – Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western. In the Southern Division were Kerry, Tipperary, Clare, Cork, Laois, Kilkenny and Wexford.


Kerry defeated Cork in the first round of the Munster Senior Football Championship before departing for its first trip to USA. On returning, Kerry comfortably defeated Tipperary in Dungarvan and were nominated to represent Munster in the All-Ireland semi-final, where they struggled to defeat Leitrim by 0-4 to 0-2. They then defeated Clare by 4-4 to 1-3 in the Munster Final. In the All-Ireland final they lost to Kildare by 0-5 to 0-3.

Kerry: Johnny O Riordan, Dee O Connor, Joe Barrett, Jack Walsh, Denis O Connell, Phil O Sullivan, John Slattery, Con Brosnan, Bob Stack, Jackie Ryan, John Joe Sheehy (capt.), Eamonn Fitzgerald, Tommy Mahony, Jim Baily, John Joe ‘Purty’ Landers.


Killorglin had the New Year heralded in to the accompaniment of the strains of the local band, which paraded the town – starting on its mission of welcome shortly before midnight and followed by a goodly crowd of those who were fain to let an old custom die. The striking of the midnight hour by the clocks was accompanied by cheering of those on the street to mark the passing of 1926 with its joys and its sorrows, its pleasures and its pains, its successes and its failures, its shattered hopes and its unexpected achievements, and to announce the birth of 1927 with new hopes to realise, new promises to fulfil, new successes to grant, new purposes to achieve, new difficulties to surmount and new fields to conquer. Yes, calmly, stealthily, silently (were it not for the local manner of announcement) did 1926 take its departure and as calmly and silently did 1927 – sent along by Father Time – replace it.


Liam McSweeney, Killorglin N.S. was Secretary of the Kerry Co. Committee of the I.N.T.O. At the usual quarterly meeting of the committee in Killarney on Sat. 29th Jan, the Killorglin branch was represented by William Roche (Dungeel N.S.) and Tadhg O Reilly (Douglas N.S.). In the unavoidable absence through illness of Liam McSweeney, Tadhg O Reilly acted as Secretary.


The death took place of the Bishop of Kerry, Dr. Charles O Sullivan, on 29th Jan. He had been Bishop of Kerry since 27th Jan. 1918. He was replaced by Bishop Michael O Brien, formerly of Ardcánacht, Castlemaine.


The Killorglin Feis was revived by a group of people who was anxious to do its utmost for the spirit and language of the Gael. The group met on sat. 19th Feb. with Padraig Begley as Chairman, Máirín Ní Shéagha as Secretary and Miss E. Quirke, M.D. O Donoghue, Tadhg O Reilly, Sean O Riordan and Liam McSweeney also present. The Feis took place on Sun. 19th June in the Carnegie Hall due to the very inclement weather. There was a large crowd of competitors and onlookers. Fionán McCollum opened the proceedings with an Oráid. The following Killorglin competitors were successful: Recitation (U-7) – Máirín Ni Dhaoneadha (2nd); Recitation (U-16) – Tomás Ó Súilleabháin (1st), Padraig Ó Súilleabháin, Cromán (2nd); Scéalaíocht (U-16) – Cáit Ní Chonchubhair (1st); Comhrá (U-16) – Séamus Ó Ríordán, Cromán (1st); Teagasc Críostaí – Padraig Ó Súilleabháin, Cromán (1st), Cáit Ní Riordáin, Dubhglais (2nd); Coracha – Scoil na gCailíní, Cill Orglan (1st); Amhránaíocht (Cailíní fé 16) – Eibhlín Ní Shúilleabháin, Scoil na gCailíní (1st), Nóra Ní Shúilleabháin (do.) 2nd; Amhránaíocht (buachaillí fé 16) – Tomás Ó Súilleabháin, Scoil na mBuachaillí (1st); Solo Singing (Senior) – Máire Ní Shúilleabháin (1st), Seán Ó Leidhinn, Quaybawn (2nd ), Seán Ó Siothcháin, Gurrane (special prize); Cor Ceathrar – Cor Shéamuis (1st); Rinnce (Senior) – Séamus Ó Cathalláin (1st); Mouth Organ – Pádraig O Shea (2nd); Violin – Stiofán O Donnchadha (2nd); Bosca Ceoil – Padraig Ó Shea (1st), Domhnall Ó Mongáin, Steelroe (2nd).


The Killorglin Drag Hunt was revived after many years and was run under the auspices of the Killorglin Beagle Club on Sun. 28th Aug. There were delightful weather conditions and a very large attendance came from all parts of Kerry, Clare and Cork. Over fifty dogs were started on their strenuous run of eleven miles over one of the best courses in the south of Ireland by the President of the Club, The McGillycuddy of the Reeks. The spectators were afforded a splendid view of the course from Gurrane Mountain, which was a natural grand stand. The greater number of dogs completed the course and a very close finish was witnessed. Great excitement prevailed. The winning clubs were as follows:

1st Prize (£15 and a Cup presented by The McGillycuddy) – Fair Hill Harrier Club, Cork City. 2nd Prize (£6) – Fair Hill Harrier Club; 3rd Prize (£2) – Kenmare Beagle Club; 4th Prize (£1) – Cahersiveen No. 1 Beagle Club.


Perhaps, due to the lack of regular Gaelic football games, some of the young men of the town turned to rugby at the end of the year. A club was formed and a team was entered into the McElligott Cup for the 1927/’28 season. Rugby had been played during the previous few years in Listowel, Dingle, Tralee and Castleisland and reports of games between those clubs had been published in the local newspapers. The first game in the competition was played in Tralee on 18th Dec. and Tralee defeated Killorglin by 9 points to nil. Killorglin: Fullback – Monnie O Reilly, three-quarters – Jeremiah O Grady, Mick Hogan, Christy Power, John A. Foley, halves – Ted Mangan, Gerald Foley, forwards – Frank Griffin, Tom Mangan, John Mangan, M. Regan, M.A. Kavanagh, T.E. Reilly, Peter O Shea, Bruddy Kelliher. A number of Killarney players helped to make up the team, as there had not been enough interested locals.


Michael O Riordan, Dooks, sailed, as an eighteen-year old, from Queenstown on 31st March 1913 for San Francisco. Six years later, he entered the police department in that city and rose through the ranks to become Captain of the Police Commission in November 1927.


Jim Lucey, Maum, Glencar, came to Killorglin about 1877 and started a successful shoe-making business in Langford Street. When the bad times came, he emigrated to the USA in 1880 and settled in Northampton, Massachusetts, where he continued his shoe-making business. He befriended Calvin Coolidge who remained a life-long friend even after Coolidge became President of the USA.


The General Election took place on Thurs. 9th June. The following T. D’s were elected to represent Co. Kerry in the Dáil: Fionán Lynch (Cumann na nGael), Austin Stack (Sinn Féin), Prof. J.M. O Sullivan (Cumann na nGael), James Crowley (Cumann na nGael), William O Leary (Fianna Fáil), Tom McEllistrim (Fianna Fáil) and T. O Reilly (Fianna Fáil).