Laune Rangers – 1926


Killorglin GAA Club commenced the East-Kerry League with great enthusiasm, defeating Scartaglin, Killarney, Firies and drawing with Fossa. However, the League dragged on through the following year and was not finished until March 1928, by which time Killorglin had long lost interest in the competition.


A number of games in the 1925 Killorglin Parish League were played during the year without any apparent winner of the competition being declared.


Killorglin No. 1 (Scoil Mhuire) won the National School’s area Championship.


Denis Curran, Groyne, (later Fr. Denis Curran) captained St. Brendan’s Seminary Killarney to win the inaugural O Sullivan Cup (the Kerry Schools & Colleges Senior Football Championship).


Jack O Dwyer, principal Intermediate School, Killorglin, was elected as Treasurer of the inaugural Kerry Schools/Colleges Committee.


Emigration continued to be a major problem in Killorglin and the GAA team lost some of its star players.


* * * * * * * * * * *


Paddy Foley was Chairman of Killorglin GAA Club.


Co. Senior Football Championship

As in the previous year, the winners of the District Leagues contested the Co. Senior Football Championship. The contesting teams were Tralee, Killarney, Listowel and Dingle.


The final was not played until 18th Sept. 1927 and Tralee, captained by Joe Barrett, again defeated Listowel by 7-7 to 2-1.


East-Kerry Senior Football League

Eight teams were in opposition, Killorglin, Scartaglin, Castleisland, Currow, Killarney, Headford, Fossa and Kilcummin.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 6th June at Firies: Killorglin defeated Scartaglin.

A team composed in the main of youths, Killorglin had some good material but there was much work to be done.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 18th July at Killorglin: Killorglin 2-1; Killarney 1-2.

The field was in really good condition, the weather was splendid and the play was of a comparatively high standard. There was a fairly large crowd in attendance. The game was contested very keenly and the score gave a very good indication of the play throughout.  Killarney had the better of the play in the first half and the home team had things pretty much their own way, especially towards the end of the second half.

Killarney played with the slight incline from the start and play was scarcely in progress when bang went a goal by Coughlan for the visitors. That was followed by much give and take play for the next five minutes until Dr. O Sullivan raised the white flag for the second score. The play was then brought to the Killarney goal and some very nice play resulted in an over. A second minor for the East-Kerry side finished the scoring for the half, several attempts by Killorglin going wide and a few very good saves being made by the home goalie. The visitors led by 1-2 to 0-0 at halftime.

On the resumption, the contest became keener and the ball seemed to travel faster, some very good combination moves being evident on both sides. ‘Condon’ Clifford, in the Killorglin goal, made a few very, very good saves but it was not until after ten minutes play , when Mick Hogan scored a major, that the local fifteen became really active. A Killarney attack was warded off by the back-line and play was shortly removed to the other end, but Denis Hurley in goals was safe. However, a very nice combination effort between Ted Mangan, Eddie Clifford and Mick Hogan baffled the goal-man and raised the green flag for the second time. With ten minutes to go, the play was very fast but the visitors seemed not to get their stride or was it that the home team had more stamina? They seemed to have the better of the play and a point, kicked by Paddy Kennelly from a good distance, raised a great cheer. Being two points down, Killarney made a great effort and for a few minutes the opposition posts were in danger. The final whistle, however, sounded, giving the Launesiders a good victory.

The local footballers showed themselves possessed of grit and stamina and surprised many of their most ardent followers. That the team was much strengthened by Thaddeus Cashman was generally admitted and his play in the game was worthy of note. His addition to Paddy Foley and John Sugrue, relieving Denis Curran to midfield, meant much for the improvement of fielding. Denis Curran showed himself as useful in midfield as he was wont to in the backline and Thaddeus Cashman proved himself a tower of strength and a veritable stone-wall on several occasions during the play.

On the winners’ side, ‘Condon’ Clifford, in goal, Paddy Foley, John Sugrue, Dannyo Lyons, Ted Mangan, Denis Curran and Paddy Kennelly were best, while a few others, such as Pat Mannix, Thaddeus Cashman, Bysie Roberts, Bill Jones and Pat Sheehan, closely followed. For Killarney, Dr. O Sullivan, Jack Sewell, Denso Hurley (goal), Denis Hurley (back), Neilius McCarthy and Jack Horgan were most noticeable. Ref: Jerry Lyne.

The game was followed by another contest, Kilcummin 3-3; Firies 3-2, which was refereed by Tadhg O Reilly, Killorglin.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 19th Sept. at Currow: Killorglin 4-1; Firies 0-4.

From the outset, there was keen going in that game, fast play being the order. It seemed, indeed, as if each was anxious to run the other off its feet. The first score was registered by Firies – a minor. That set Killorglin going with renewed vigour and, after a few minutes play, they replied with a goal by Mick Hogan. There was much midfield play and it was ‘Condon’ Clifford, in goals, that denied Firies registering a major. Denis Curran for Killorglin was showing very well at that stage, whilst Woods and Mannix worked very hard for their side. Another major for Killorglin by Mick Hogan gave his side an interval lead of 2-1 to 0-1.

On resuming, Firies were first away, Jerry Lyne showing up splendidly, with Thaddeus Cashman being the outstanding figure on the Killorglin fifteen. Woods, soon from a free, registered a neat point for Firies, followed shortly afterwards by another by the same player. The ball travelled quickly to the other end and a neat goal was shot in by Ted Mangan. That got Horan, who had all along being doing splendid work, going anew and, though the ball travelled quickly to the other end, Paddy Foley and John Sugrue, as backs, and Thaddeus Cashman were unbeatable. Eddie Clifford and Pat Sheehan did some very good play and Killorglin were not to be denied. Play was taken into Firies’ territory where Mick Hogan, who had registered two in the first half, shot another major. That put new life into his side and, despite the efforts of Spring and Quirke, another minor was shortly afterwards scored. Play was by no means one-sided and it seemed hard that Firies had to content themselves with only another minor before the final whistle. Best for Killorglin were ‘Condon’ Clifford in goals, Paddy Foley, John Sugrue, Thaddeus Cashman, Eddie Clifford, Denis Curran, Pat Sheehan, Ted Mangan and Mick Hogan.

Ref: Humphrey Murphy (Currow & Killarney).


At a meeting of the East-Kerry League on Sat. 20th Nov, which was chaired by Dick Fitzgerald, it was decided that, owing to the lateness of the season, the league should be finished in the quickest possible manner. The motion that teams that had won no match should be eliminated, the remaining seven teams to play on a league system as before and any team beaten three times to fall out automatically was moved by Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan and seconded by J. Moriarty and passed after some discussion.


Rd. 4 on Sun. 12th Dec. at Killorglin: Killorglin 1-1; Fossa 1-1.

That match was played in the presence of a fairly large crowd. Pat Sheehan had emigrated to ‘sunny California’ since the previous game and his loss was sorely felt. The teams were lined out a few minutes after the scheduled time and Killorglin played with the advantage of the incline. During the first half, the play was most uninteresting, except for the defences on both sides and at halftime there had been no score registered.

Shortly after resumption, however, it was evident that there was to be more life and vigour in the second half. After five minutes’ play, a goal scored by Ted Mangan for the home team brought much well-deserved applause, as it had been secured from a very difficult angle. That put a new life into the game, which developed somewhat and, within another five minutes, John Eoin Kelliher had added a minor from a free for the local selection. During ten minutes, the visitors’ defence was well tested but the backs were sound, Ned Healy showing up very well. With ten minutes to go, there was a combined effort by Fossa, in which a goal was scored amid much enthusiasm. Moriarty and Tangney worked hard for the visitors, whilst Thaddeus Cashman, John Kelliher and Ted Mangan were most active for the home side. A foul was committed, which gave Fossa a free near their opponents’ goal. From that a point was scored, making the scores even and, though play travelled from end to end for the remaining four minutes’ play, there was no further scoring. Ref: Jack Cronin.


The remainder of the competition was deferred until 1927.


Parish/District Football League

The league, which commenced in 1925, was continued.


Sun. 16th May at Killorglin Sports-field: Steelroe 2-1; Tuogh 1-2.

Steelroe won the toss and played with the wind and, from the outset, the spectators were kept closely interested, as until the final whistle there was scarce a moment without its excitement. It was fully ten minutes before the first score, a minor, was registered for Tuogh. That got their opponents going and Mick Flynn and Tadhg Harmon (Callinfersy) put in some very good work, which resulted in a major for their side. Wasn’t there applause! And it had scarcely subsided before a minor was added. Thaddeus Cashman led off and there was some very good play and a good defence by Steelroe but, with Cashman, Guihan and ‘Chub’ O Connor combining, their determination to make matters level could not be prevented from adding a major. Level at twenty minutes’ play and the game was going strong! Patie Mangan was hurt then and, though he elected to play on, he was rendered very weak for his side to the close. He was a serious loss to Steelroe. The next ten minutes was a period of excitement and, in a few minutes, the second major was banged in by Steelroe and they led by 2-1 to 1-1 at halftime.

For a quarter of an hour of the second half, there  were some very brilliant passages, in which, as well as those already mentioned, Tadhg Clifford and Maurice ‘Nobi’ McKenna did great work for Steelroe, but no score was made by either side. Cashman, again and again, tried to break through the opposition defence but to no avail. A few fouls at midfield spoiled the play for the next ten minutes and another minor for Tuogh was received with great applause. Certainly, the score was well deserved. Again they attacked with the wind in their favour but again they were repulsed and the ball sent to their territory. From that to the finish, the ball was about the Steelroe goal but it was due to their stubborn defence that a few scores were not recorded against them. Ref: John O Riordan.


Sun. 27th June at Killorglin: Tuogh 1-5; Killorglin (Rangers) 1-3.

With Killorglin on 8 points in the league, by winning, they might have secured the title of champions, so great interest was shown in the game. The field was in very good condition and, even if the teams did not turn out on time, the crowd did not really mind as they basked in the sunshine in the knowledge that the contest would be worth waiting for.

The game itself had many commendable points but, equally, there was much bungling and bad play. Both sides erred in that respect and the palm must certainly go to Killorglin for the bungle, which gave them sixteen men on the field for the first half! That it had been such was evident from the fact that the odd man came long from his place on the field at the halftime lineout. Somebody suggested that it had been the prolonged blowing of the whistle had been responsible before the teams had come on the field and had carried it further by stating that they had come on the field at the rate of ‘a man a blow’ – thirty-one blows of the whistle!

Killorglin played against the hill and sun in the first half and, though the game was not lively nor was there much good general play, there were many very interesting periods. The raising of a white flag to register a minor for Tuogh caused an increased effort by Killorglin and give and take play until halftime left the scores at 0-2 each. At the lining up, the odd man was put off and the Killorglin captain seemed as surprised as anybody else at what had taken place. Play began and there seemed more determination and dash from the beginning of the half than there had been. Pete Coughlan very nicely for Tuogh caused the raising of the green flag. Shortly came the equaliser when a major was registered for the home side past Paddy Breen, the custodian, who had played with the famous Kerry Fifteen. Almost immediately, a point was registered to give the home side the lead. But they held the lead for only a few minutes for up went the flag for another minor for the visitors and they were masters of the situation for the remainder of the game, registering three points in quick succession and taking the spoils.

At that stage of the League, both teams were on equal points (8) and another game was required to decide the destination of the League.

On the winning team, Mike Coffey and Thaddeus Cashman stood out, as well as Pete Coughlin and Murphy. For the home team Paddy Foley, Tom Curran, Pat Sheehan and Bysie Roberts were conspicuous, closely followed by Ted Mangan, Johnsie O Connor and the little goalie, Mossy Power.

Ref: John E. Moriarty N.T. (Listry).


Senior Football Challenge/Tournament Games


Castlemaine Tournament on Sun. 2nd May at Castlemaine: Rock St. defeated Killorglin.

The game was slow and uninteresting.


Fri. 25th June at Killorglin Sports-field: Upper Town defeated Lower Town.

That there was interest being taken in football locally was evident from the attendance at that game. The match itself exceeded all expectations in play, as there was as much enthusiasm and interest shown by the players as could be shown in a Co. Championship match. In fact it was marred eventually by heat and pettiness, a demonstration indeed of football enthusiasm, which excluded all things else and, to the majority of spectators, the final whistle came a relief as things seemed to be tending towards a disregard for the rules. A one point victory for the upper side was not very decisive and would lead to a replay.


Sun. 3rd Oct. at Listry (Tangney’s Field): Killorglin 1-3; Fossa 1-3.

That was a good display of football, witnessed by quite a large crowd. The field for the game was given by Nicholas Tangney and the field was always available to local footballers and Gaels for practice.



Schools/Colleges Football


Primary Schools Football

East-Kerry was divided into areas and the winners of the areas advanced to the final. The Killorglin area consisted of Milltown, Killorglin, Castlemaine and Tuogh. Killorglin parish, as was allowed by the rules, fielded two teams, Killorglin No. 1 (Scoil Mhuire) and Killorglin No. 2 (Cromane/Douglas).


Rd. 1 on Tues. 13th July at Killorglin Sports-field: Killorglin (No. 1) v Tuogh (combined).

Admission fee was 3d.


Rd. 2 on Fri. 30th July at Listry: Faha 2-0; Killorglin (No. 1) 1-3.

From the throw-in of the ball, the play was stubbornly contested and the remarkable feature of the game was that, for the first half, the ball on no occasion travelled very far, the centre-field men of both combinations doing very good work. Listry were first to score – a major – after fifteen minutes’ play and that got the opposition going hard, but it was seven minutes before the equalising goal was shot through, to be followed soon after by a point and the visitors led by 1-1 to 1-0 at halftime.

On resuming, the play became even more animated and fouls were rather frequent, both sides offending. A few frees from very scoreable positions were badly missed by Killorglin, Fitz getting excited on every occasion. John Joe Falvey was doing wonderful work for the visitors, ably supported by Jim Sheehan and Mike T. O Riordan, whilst Ulick Sullivan, Mick Buckley and Murty Tangney were most prominent for Listry, Moriarty in the defence being the mainstay of their combination. A point by Killorglin, after some very nice passing, seemed to get them a safe lead but Ferris, of the other side, worked with a will and a foul about 20 yards from goal, taken by Ulick O Sullivan, caused the green flag to be raised and the Listry followers, including the ladies, gave vent to their feelings of delight. A point behind with five minutes to go, Killorglin worked at its very best and some nice play was seen by Michael McCrohan, who had left the defence to Ted Kennedy and Paul O Reilly, and a foul near the opponents’ goal gave them an opportunity. The free was taken by ‘P.T.’ and the equalising point was registered. Both custodians, McCarthy for Killorglin and Ferris for Listry, brought off some good saves. Ref: Tadhg O Reilly (Killorglin).


Rd. 3 on Wed. 4th Aug. at Killorglin: Killorglin (No. 2) 0-0; Faha 1-1.

That was a replay but much disappointment was felt as the play was not at all as interesting as that on previous occasions, nor was the enthusiasm as great. The first half found both sides scoreless but a goal and a point, scored by Listry in the second half to their opponents’ nil, gave them a decisive victory much to their delight and that of their lady followers for, be it noted, the Listry little lads had lady followers whose enthusiasm and warm words of encouragement did much to help them on their way to victory.

Ref: Ted Mangan (Killorglin).


Final on Sun. 3rd Oct. at Listry (Tangney’s Field): Killorglin (No. 1) 2-2; Faha 0-0.

Killorglin were successful after a very trying hour’s football. That win gave them the championship of the area. All of the team played well, with Michael McCrohan, John Joe Falvey, Paul Reilly and Ted Foley particularly to the fore, whilst Faha was best served by Clifford, the best man of the thirty, Murty Tangney and Mick Buckley. The score was misleading, as the vanquished, on their play, deserved a few scores. The game was played in Nicholas Tangney’s field at Listry Cross.


Colleges Football

The inaugural O Sullivan Cup competition for U-18’s was played between St. Brendan’s Seminary, The Monastery (Killarney), Tralee Technical Schools, St. Michael’s (Listowel), Tralee CBS and Jeffers Institute (Tralee).


Rd. 1 on Sun. 25th April at Killarney Sports-field: St. Brendan’s 2-5; Presentation Monastery 0-0.

Semi-final on Sun. 23rd May at Killarney: St. Brendan’s 2-2; Tralee CBS 1-1.

Final on Sun. 30th May at Killorglin: St. Brendan’s Seminary 2-3; Tralee Technical Schools 0-2.

After the game, the O Sullivan Cup was presented to the captain, Denis Curran, by Father McGrath C.C., Killorglin, representing the bishop, who was unable to be present. The Killorglin players on the team were Denis Curran, capt., Tadhg McGillycuddy and Johnsie O Connor (the trio were unbeatable in the backline), Ned Healy and Maurice Foley (Coolbane). Ref: Tadhg O Reilly, Killorglin.


St. Brendan’s Seminary – Inaugural O Sullivan Cup Winners 1926

St. Brendan’s Seminary – Inaugural O Sullivan Cup Winners 1926
Front (l to r): J. McCarthy, W. McMahon, Denis Curran (Groyne/Laune Rangers) capt., Johnny Walsh (Ballylongford), Ned Healy (Mill Road/Laune Rangers).
2nd Row: G. O Sullivan, Paddy Clifford (Milltown), Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan, Very Rev. Canon John Breen, —-, F. Fitzgerald, Bobby Murphy (Bere Island),
3rd Row: C. Cremins, Maurice Foley (Coolbane/Laune Rangers), Tim O Sullivan (Callanfercy), Johnsie O Connor (Main St./Laune Rangers), Tadhg McGillycuddy (Coolbane/Laune Rangers), M. Cronin (Milltown), M. Murphy, — Moynihan.
Back: M. Carroll, Tom Moriarty (Ballyferriter), T. Brosnan, M. Driscoll, D. Sheehan, E. O Brien (Keel), D. Curran.

The inaugural Dunloe Cup competition for U-16’s was played between St. Brendan’s (Killarney), The Monastery (Killarney), Killorglin Intermediate School, Cahersiveen CBS, Technical Schools (Tralee), St. Michael’s (Listowel), Tralee CBS, Jeffers Institute (Tralee), Dingle CBS.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 2nd May in Cahersiveen: Intermediate School defeated CBS, Cahersiveen.

Rd. 2 on Sun. 9th May at Killorglin: Intermediate School 0-1; St. Brendan’s 9-7.

Final on Thurs. 10th June at Tralee: Tralee CBS 1-7, St. Brendan’s Seminary 1-1.

Ned Healy, Killorglin, played on the St. Brendan’s team.


Challenge game on Sun. 21st Feb. at Seminary Field: Seminary 0-4; Tralee Selection 0-2.

Denis Curran, Killorglin, captained the Seminary team, on which Johnsie O Connor (Main St.), Tadhg McGillycuddy (Coolbane) and Ned Healy (Mill Road) also played.


Camogie Challenge Game

Sun. 31st Oct. at Killorglin: Killorglin v Tralee.

That senior challenge game was scheduled for the Sports-field on Sunday evening but was postponed due to inclement weather. The local camogie team, at the time, was in really good form.




W.P. Clifford, Luimneach, was elected Uachtarán CLG.


The Annual Convention of the Munster Council was held at Limerick on Sat. 20th March. The following officers were re-elected: Chairman – Jerry O Brien, An Clár, Secretary – Pat McGrath, Tiobrad Árainn, Treasurer – Ailbe Quillinan (Luimneach).


The Kerry Co. Convention was held at the Tralee Courthouse on Sat. 13th March. Killorglin GAA Club was represented by Tim O Riordan. The following officers were re-elected: President – Austin Stack; Chairman – P.J. O Connell; Secretary – Denis J. Baily; Joint Treasurers – John Moran and Con Clifford; Delegates to Munster Council – Dick Fitzgerald and Jack McCarthy. A claim for £3, due to Killorglin Football Club, was passed for payment.


The representation of the districts on the Kerry Co. Board at the time was as follows: Cahersiveen (nil), Killarney (2), Dingle (1), Listowel (2) and Tralee (roughly 12). That system was based on two delegates per Co. Championship team and it obviously favoured the Tralee area.


‘Pars from Puck’ wrote the following in the Kerryman following the 1925 Co. Senior Football Championship quarter-final, Tralee 3-5; Cahersiveen 0-2, in Killorglin on Sun. 14th March: “Punctuality was observed. The ball was in play within minutes of the scheduled time. The field was in pretty good condition and the playing-pitch in good order but the play was not of a high standard. The arrangements on the field call for special mention, not for the efficient manner in which they were carried out but rather otherwise. The charge for admission was 1s, which, after all, for one match was, in our opinion, too much. But it was left to the spirit and generosity of the public whether they would pay or not – the fences were unprotected and offered to the niggardly and unspirited an easy way of evading the payment of the ‘bob’. Needless to add, this was availed of by many, very many. It is difficult to understand why there was laxity in this respect. Why, between the Co. Board and the local club, some arrangements were not come to by which it could be prevented. Misunderstanding seems certainly to have taken place, as we understand the club expected the Co. Board, who was to have charge of the financial portion, would have these arrangements made. However, when the local members found it was not so, it would not have been too much to expect them to rise to the occasion and, in justice to the cause as well as the patrons of the game, prevent this looseness in admittance.”

‘Pars from Puck’ wrote in the Kerryman prior to the East-Kerry League game versus Firies, “Our local fifteen are billed to meet Firies at Currow on Sunday next in an East-Kerry League contest and, as usual, we hope that they will acquit themselves creditably. Beyond hoping, the followers cannot, of course, go save to express the opinion that one evening’s practice is scarcely sufficient to get them in form for a contest such as Sunday’s promises to be. That we have good material here goes without saying but it is most unfair to themselves and their followers for our representatives to take things so lightly. Certainly, they have done well this season so far, which is all the more reason why no chances should be taken now or no opportunities missed. They have yet a few days left and we hope they will use these to advantage and that they will be again victorious on Sunday next.”

Prior to the Fossa match, ‘Pars from Puck’ wrote, “Killorglin are billed to meet Fossa here on Sunday in an East-Kerry League match and, so far, the only intimation there is of the event coming off is the poster. There has been no practice match, no team selected, no preparation made. Football has been neglected for the past six weeks or so. Up to then, there was an occasional week-evening practice and a regular Sunday line-out, but the weather and the field have caused a waning of the enthusiasm. There is certainly sufficient material here from which to select a team to give Fossa a good match on Sunday and, we have no doubt that when such is selected, the visitors will meet a good opposition. (Pat) Sheehan, one of the local stars, will certainly be missed from our team, but in Sunny California he will undoubtedly do a man’s part towards forwarding the game of the Gael. It is so long now since there was any attraction here or a fixture of any kind that we are sure the public will in large numbers patronise Sunday’s game.”


Tadhg O Reilly represented Killorglin GAA Club at the meeting of the East-Kerry League in the Central Club, Killarney, on Sun. 23rd May. The first round fixtures of the League were made and Killorglin was pitted against Scartaglin at Firies.


The inaugural meeting of the Kerry Schools & Colleges Committee took place on Sat. 3rd April 1926 in Tralee. The following officers were elected: President – Very Rev. Canon Breen (The Seminary), Vice-President – Rev. Brother Turner (Tralee CBS), Secretary – Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan, Hon. Treasurer – Jack O Dwyer (Intermediate School, Killorglin). It was decided to form two competitions, one for boys U-18 (senior) and one for boys U-16 (junior). The Intermediate School entered a team in the junior competition.

A meeting of the committee was again held on Sat. 10th April at the Jeffers Institute, Tralee. Jack O Dwyer represented the Intermediate School, Killorglin. Each school had to declare its colours – Intermediate School declared its colours as blue with a white shield. It the subsequent draw, Intermediate School was pitted against Cahersiveen CBS in Cahersiveen on May 2nd. His Lordship, Most Rev. Dr. O Sullivan, Bishop of Kerry, donated a Perpetual Cup (O Sullivan Cup) for the winners of the senior competition.

At the meeting on Sun. 23rd May at St. Brendan’s Seminary, Killarney, it was announced that Mr. H.S. Harrington, Dunloe Castle, had presented a silver cup to the value of £20 for the junior competition. A vote of thanks to the donor was seconded by Jack O Dwyer, Intermediate School.

At the meeting on Sun. 6th June in the Jeffers Institute, Jack O Dwyer spoke in praise of Paddy Foley (PF) for all he had written in the Kerryman about the competition between the schools and he paid tribute to the committee for the achievement of running the competition so successfully in the short space of five weeks.

At the meeting on 13th June in the Jeffers Institute, the Chairman, Canon Breen, proposed a vote of thanks to the two men, Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan, and Paddy Foley (PF), who were primarily responsible for the success of the inter-school competitions. Jack O Dwyer seconded the motion and it was passed unanimously.


The inaugural meeting of the teachers interested in a football league for the East-Kerry Primary Schools was held in Scott’s Hotel, Killarney on Sat. 8th May. Tadhg O Reilly represented the Killorglin area and undertook to organise a league amongst the schools in the district – Milltown, Beaufort, Castlemaine and Killorglin – the winners of which would go forward to the finals. The following rules were adopted:

  1. Boys of 16 years or under on 1st July 1926 were eligible.
  2. All competitors had to be genuine school-going children.
  3. Two schools or three in the same parish were allowed to amalgamate.
  4. For economic reasons, the East-Kerry area was divided into districts.
  5. An entry fee of 5s was payable to the Secretary of the committee.


The death occurred, after a short illness, at the age of 47, of Danny Lyons on Sat. 30th October. He had been a regular with Laune Rangers in the early part of the century and had won a Co. Championship medal in 1900. Many of his then fellow members marched in the procession of the funeral to the church and Dromavalla cemetery as a token of respect.

At a special meeting of Killorglin Football Club on Tues. 9th Nov, Paddy Foley in the chair, a resolution of sympathy with the relatives of Danny Lyons was passed in silence.


At the end of the year, Pat Sheehan emigrated to California, Bill Jones, also, to the USA and Bysie Roberts to Australia. The departure of those three was a severe loss to Killorglin GAA Club but they took with them the best wishes of their fellow members of the club and of the Killorglin public in general.


Kerry defeated Clare by two points in the Munster Senior Football Championship at Milltown Malbay on Sun. 9th May, Cork by 1-9 to 2-1 on Sun. 18th July at Listowel in the semi-final and Tipperary in the final on Sun. 25th July by 0-11 to 1-4 in Cork. In the All-Ireland semi-final on Sun. 8th Aug. in Croke Park, they disposed of Cavan by 1-6 to 0-1. Kerry drew with Kildare in the final on Sun. 5th Sept, on a score of 1-3 to 0-6. The replay took place in Croke Park on Sun. 17th Oct. and Kerry won its seventh All-Ireland senior title by 1-4 to 0-4.

Kerry: Johnny Riordan (Boherbue) goal, Pat Clifford (Ballymac), Joe Barrett (Rock St.), Jack Walsh (Craughdarrig), Paul Russell (Dr. Crokes), Jerry ‘Pluggy’ Moriarty (Rock St.), John Slattery (do.), Con Brosnan (Newtownsandes), Bob Stack (Doon), Jackie Ryan (Rock St.), John Joe Sheehy (Boherbue) capt., Denis O Connell (Rock St.), Tom O Mahony (Newtownsandes), Bill Gorman (Rock St.), Jim Bailey (Rock St.). Subs: Dan Joe Conway (Strand St.), Mike Coffey (Beaufort), Paul O Sullivan (Finuge), John Baily (Ballymac), Paddy Whiddy (Tralee).

The selection committee consisted of Tom Costello (Tralee) chairman, Humphrey Murphy (Currow & Killarney), Dick Fitzgerald (Killarney), Patrick Foley (Dingle), Jack McCarthy (Tralee), Tom O Connor (do), Jack Walsh (Asdee), Bob Stack (Doon), Jerry McEllistrim (Tralee), John Joe Sheehy (Captain) and Denis J. Bailey (Co. Secretary).


There was huge interest in the outcome of the replay versus Kildare in Killorglin and ‘Pars from Puck’ gave us a flavour of the atmosphere when he wrote in the Kerryman on Sat. 23rd October as follows: “Killorglin sent its goodly representation to Croke Park but the enthusiasm of those who could not go nor their anxiety to follow the match was none the less keen. The wireless was their great comforter and by 3pm quite a crowd had collected in the main street where Mr. O Callaghan’s wireless-set was to be the messenger of the tidings. As time went on the numbers grew until by 3.30 there were some hundreds and, as somebody said by 4pm, ‘Twas like Puck Fair’, so great was the crowd. Nor was it confined to the men, for the ladies were very little less in numbers. As the various stages of the play were announced by Dr. Jim O Sullivan, the feelings of the crowd were given vent to and at the various scores for the Kingdom, the cheering lost nothing in its lustiness or sincerity by the distance from Croke Park. When that goal was scored, Dr. Jim was anticipated in his giving the glad news by little Hanna Maria Power, who led the cheering herself. Hats went in the air as they did in the Park and hand-shaking was indulged in for some time, as it was when the final score was announced. Yes, Killorglin went wild with excitement at the news and then the ‘fans’ dispersed, happy that Kerry were again champions.”

The train left Caragh Lake Station at 7.10am for the game and Killorglin Station at 7.20am and arrived at Kingsbridge Station at 1pm. It left Kingsbridge Station, Dublin at 7.15pm. The return fare, third class, was 10/6.


Collections were arranged in the various districts to help defray expenses involved in the training of the Kerry team in preparation for the All-Ireland Senior Football Final versus Kildare. The collectors in the Killorglin area were James O Regan, Tadhg O Reilly, Liam McSweeney, Pat Brosnan, Floss McCrohan and T. Moriarty. The following subscriptions were received: 10/- each – Rev. J. Casey C.C., Rev. J. McGrath C.C., P.J. O Shea, James O Regan and Liam McSweeney; 5/- each – Thomas F. Curtayne, Paddy Foley, Ted Mangan, Mick Fitzpatrick, Ned Moloney, John P O Riordan, Mrs. O Connor (The Square), Michael J. O Sullivan, Miss Kelliher, Floss McCrohan, David Power, Pat Brosnan, Jeff Morris, Paddy O Regan, William Crowley, Moss O Brien, Batty O Dwyer and Frank Griffin; 4/- each – Mrs. J.J. Foley, R. Prendiville and Bob Dodd; 3/6 – Dan Lyons; 3/- each – Edward Collins, Michael J. Coffey, Sergeant O Neill and Guard Doyle; 2/6 each – J. McGee (G.S.R.), Tim O Riordan, Mrs. Diggin, Pat Grady, Pat Tobin, M.P. Clifford, Frank Stephens, Pat J. Lane, John P. Foley, Pat Golden, Alfred Dodd, Tim O Regan, P. Hogan, W. Woulfe and Nora Breen; 2/- each – D.C. O Sullivan, Denis Forde, M.J. O Callaghan, James O Leary, Jeremiah Foley, John Coffey, John O Brien, Guard Burke, Guard Delaney, Guard O Mahony and Guard Duffy; 1/- each – Mick Flynn, Guard O Neill, Paddy Joy and D. O Dwyer.


A very representative meeting of parents and the general public was held in the Intermediate School, Killorglin at the beginning of June. The Head-master, Jack O Dwyer, read a report of the work done and of the financial position of the school during the year just gone. Thomas F. Curtayne, Chairman of the School Committee, explained that the school had only re-opened on the previous September, having been closed for three years on account of the military occupation of the building. There were 65 pupils in the school and three fully qualified teachers. The Intermediate school was the only school at that time in the Free State to be managed and financed by a local committee. A government grant was forthcoming but that was not sufficient to pay the salaries of two of the teachers.