Laune Rangers – 1941


There was a large attendance at the AGM of the Laune Rangers Club, which was held at the end of Feb. 1941. It had been hoped to hold the AGM at the end of January but that had proved impossible due to the officers suffering from ‘flu. Chairman, Mike Joy, presided. In his address, he said that after the previous year, they had very little progress to report. They had kept the game going in the district and kept up enthusiasm and interest. Many of the players had left to answer the call of the country to play the bigger national game. They had lost them on the playing field but they had been proud of the part Kerry was taking. He was glad that the East-Kerry Convention had divided the area, so that the game could still be played irrespective of difficulty of locomotion. He thanked the public for their continued support.

The Financial Secretary reported that, though they had only a few shillings on hands, they had cleared their way during the year, which was satisfactory.

The following officers were elected:

President – Rev. T. D. O Sullivan P.P.

Vice-Presidents – Rev. D. Mangan C. C., Rev. P. Lyne C. C., Liam McSweeney and Jack O Dwyer.

Chairman – Mike Joy.

Vice-Chairman – Paddy Foley.

Hon. Secretary & Treasurer – Sean Moriarty N. T.

Committee – the officers and Paddy Mike Foley, James Foley, John Foley and John Joe Falvey.

Senior Captain – Jimmy O Donoghue.

It was decided to start a local league, the teams being Upper Town, Lower Town and Over Laune.

Sympathy was extended to Rev. T. D. O Sullivan P. P. on the death of his brother, and to all the Gaels who had suffered bereavement during the year.


Co. Senior/Intermediate Football Championship

Eight teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship John Mitchels, Kerins O Rahillys, Austin Stacks, Dingle, Killarney, Kenmare, North-Kerry and Shannon Rangers.

The remaining teams, Listry, Laune Rangers, Castleisland, Currow, Keel, Castlegregory, Iveragh Gaeltacht, Iveragh, played in the Intermediate Championship. Both competitions were played on a knockout basis and the teams were drawn geographically conveniently to play each other, due to the shortage of fuel.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 11th May at Killorglin: Listry 4-7; Laune Rangers 3-3.

At halftime, Listry led by 3-6 to 0-1. On the resumption, however, there was a Rangers’ rally and, in a short space of time, they scored 3-2. Nevertheless, Listry secured a safe win and went on to the Co. Final. The attendance was fair. F. Collins, Killarney, refereed.


Dingle, captained by Tom ‘Gega’ O Connor, won the Co. Senior Football Championship by beating John Mitchels by 3-6 to 2-0 in the final.


Castleisland won the Co. Intermediate Football Championship by beating Listry in the replayed Co. Final by 2-6 to 2-4 in the Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, on Sun. 26th October.


East-Kerry Senior League

The AGM had decided to divide the area into two divisions, Killarney and Killorglin. The winners of each division would meet in the final proper. Laune Rangers, Keel, Currow, Listry and Firies played in the Killorglin division.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 9th March at Castlemaine: Keel beat Laune Rangers.

Laune Rangers were short some of their best men. However, Keel deserved their victory and probably would have won even if Rangers had their best selection. It was a matter of the selectors and committee knowing their men in the future and selecting only those on whom they could have depended.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 30th March at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-3; Listry 2-5.

Having been beaten twice, Laune Rangers were out of the running for honours and Listry went on to claim the title, albeit in the boardroom.


In the East-Kerry Final, Legion beat Listry on the score of 2-5 to 2-4. However, on an objection, the result was reversed and Listry was crowned champions.


East-Kerry Junior League


The AGM had decided to divide the area into two divisions, Killarney and Killorglin. The winners of each division would meet in the final proper. Laune Rangers, Keel, Currow, Listry, Milltown and Glenbeigh played in the Killorglin division.


Rd. 1 Currow beat Laune Rangers.


Lisivigeen won the title, which was played in Fitzgerald Stadium on Sun. 15th Jan. 1942.


Parish League


There were three teams, Upper Town, Lower Town and Over Laune.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 20th April: Upper Town 4-1; Lower Town 2-1.

It was a hard-contested hour’s football, played before a large crowd. There was great excitement at the final whistle, as Lower Town had been looked upon as the firm favourites.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 27th April at Killorglin: Upper Town 0-3; Over Laune 0-3.

After a strenuous contest, Upper Town drew level with Over Laune.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 4th May at Killorglin: Upper Town v Lower Town.

That game, a vigorous contest, was played in preparation for the following Sundays’ Co. Championship game versus Listry. Afterwards, many expressed the opinion that, were the same dash, life and determination maintained in League and Championship fixtures, success would undoubtedly come the way of the Rangers.


Challenge/Tournament Games


Sun. 27th April at Killorglin: Lower Town 2-3; Glenbeigh 2-3.

That game was more spectacular, as Glenbeigh seemed for a time to eclipse Lower Town. The home team rallied, however, and the final whistle found the two teams level.

That game, together with the Parish League game, Upper Town v Steelroe, which was played prior to it, was played in aid of injured players, but there was a poor attendance as the weather was unfavourable.


Colleges’ Football


All-Ireland Inter-Provincial Colleges’ Championship

Final on Sun. Mon. 14th April at Croke Park: Leinster 5-7; Munster 3-4.

Mícheál Scanlon, An Ghaeltacht (and later Laune Rangers), played at left fullback for Munster.


Munster/All-Ireland Senior Football Championship


Final on Sun. 20th July at Limerick: Kerry 2-9; Clare 0-6.

Kerry had been given a bye to the final. Murt Kelly, playing at right full-forward, scored two points, one from a free, in the first half, after which Kerry led by 1-4 to 0-3. He pointed a free from a sharp angle in the second half and scored a goal, for a tally of 1-3 of Kerry’s total. Gerald Teahan was a substitute. That was Kerry’s sixth Senior Munster title in a row. Only once before, 1929 to 1934, had Kerry achieved that feat.


Semi-final on Sun. 10th Aug. at Croke Park: Dublin 0-4; Kerry 0-4.

Murt Kelly, operating at right half-forward, scored all four points from frees. The final equalising point came from a free about twenty yards out from the Canal End goals. Murt Kelly took the kick amid terrific tension (Kerry had missed a number of frees during the game). The ball hit the right upright upright high up and bounced up in the air. Did the ball pass through or outside? Up went the white flag and the sides were level. The final whistle sounded shortly afterwards.


Replay on Sun. 17th Aug. at Tralee: Kerry 2-9; Dublin 0-3.

Murt Kelly again scored 4 points, one from play. Jim Joy, operating at right half-forward, scored one of Dublin’s points.


Final on Sun. 7th Sept. at Croke Park: Kerry 1-8; Galway 0-7.

That was Kerry’s fifteenth title and, with that, they had passed out Dublin in the roll of honours. Murt Kelly scored two points from frees and he was unlucky on one occasion when he burst through but his shot for a goal went wide. It was a three-in-a row of All-Ireland Senior Championships for Kerry and Murt Kelly had been on all three teams.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe (Kerins O Rahillys), Bill Myers (Killarney), Joe Keohane (John Mitchels), Tadhg Healy (John Mitchels), Bill Dillon (Dingle) capt., Bill Casey (Dingle), Eddie Walsh (Knocknagoshel), Sean Brosnan (Dingle), Paddy Kennedy (Annascaul), Johnny Walsh (Ballylongford) Tom Gega O Connor (Dingle) 1-1, Paddy Bawn Brosnan (Dingle) 0-2, Jimmy ‘Gawskie’ O Gorman (Austin Stacks) 0-3, Murt Kelly (Killorglin and Geraldines) 0-2, Charlie O Sullivan (Camp). Subs: Tim Landers for B. Myers, Mikey Lyne (Legion) for J. Walsh.


National Football League


On Sun. 26th Jan. at Enniscorthy: Wexford 1-5; Kerry 4-12.

Gerald Teahan played at centre half-forward, from which he scored 3 goals, and Mort Kelly, at left half-forward, scored 5 points.


Sun. 23rd Feb. at Kenmare: Kerry 1-4; Cork 0-6.

Gerald Teahan played at centre half-forward.


Semi-final on Sun. 9th March at Croke Park: Dublin 2-7; Kerry 1-4.

Kerry had the bare fifteen players for the game and when Murt Kelly’s old hand-injury manifested itself early in the game, he had to play on although obviously in pain. Murt Kelly, playing at right half-forward, scored a point from a free and Gerald Teahan played on the ‘forty’.

Dublin had seven Kerry players on its team. One of them, Jim Joy, Ballykissane, who played with The Geraldines, scored two goals and a point for the winners from the right half-forward position.


Railway Cup


Semi-final on Sun. 9th Feb. at Killarney: Munster 1-9; Connacht 0-6.

Murt Kelly played at right half-forward. The high-light of the game was a brilliant place-kick by Murt Kelly, at a critical moment of the game, from 45 yards out, at an acute angle, he placed the ball over the crossbar with amazing accuracy. He also scored the last point of the game.


Final on Sun. 16th March at Croke Park: Munster 1-8; Ulster 1-8.

Murt Kelly scored Munster’s only point in the first half from a free about forty yards out. He also pointed an angled free in the second half.


Replay on Mon. 14th April at Croke Park: Munster 2-6; Ulster 1-6.

Thirteen Kerrymen and two Corkmen won the Railway Cup for Munster for the first time since 1931. Murt Kelly, playing at left half-forward, scored three points, one from a free.

Munster: Danno Keeffe, Bill Myers, Joe Keohane, Tadhg Healy, Dick Harnedy (Cork), Bill Casey, Eddie Walsh, Sean Brosnan, Paddy Kennedy, Johnny Walsh, Tom O Connor, Eamonn Young (Cork), Murt Kelly, Paddy Bawn Brosnan, Jimmy O Gorman.




Padraig McNamee (Aontroma) was Uachtarán CLG.


Seamus Gardner, Tiobraid Árainn, was Chairman of the Munster Council, Sean McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


The Annual Convention of the Kerry Co. Board was held in St. John’s CYMS, Tralee, on Sun. 2nd Feb. 1941. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Din Joe Baily; Vice-Chairmen – The Chairman of the District Boards, J. J. Landers and Liam McSweeney; Hon. Secretaries – Mícheál Ó Ruairc and Jerry Myles; Hon. Treasurers – Con Clifford and John Moran; Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan; Delegate to Central Council – Din Joe Baily.

Kevin Ryle, Killorglin, was reinstated on the proposition of Con Brosnan, seconded by Paddy Foley.


The Annual Convention of the East-Kerry Board was held in the Carnegie Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 26th Jan. 1941. There was a comparatively small attendance. Laune Rangers were represented by John Joe Falvey, Sean T. O Riordan, Jimmy O Donoghue, Mike Joy and Sean Moriarty. Chairman, Liam McSweeney presided. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1940) In the course of his address to the delegates, the Chairman said that he regretted that they had to review a very unsatisfactory year. That position was, of course, due to circumstances over which they had no control. One of those circumstances was the departure from their midst of their energetic Secretary, Jack O Shea. That had put a brake on their activities. Another reason was that dates had been taken from them for county competitions. That was a sacrifice on the part of the East-Kerry Board but they were happy in the knowledge that this, in some small way, had helped to bring another All-Ireland title to the Kingdom. In that connection, he wished to congratulate the Kerry team and Selection Committee on their great victory.

‘During the year’, he continued, ‘the support given to the games in East-Kerry was very poor. It is difficult, indeed, to understand why that was so, but it is sad fact that the gates were the lowest for a considerable time. Whether it is due to lack of interest on the part of the public or to the fact that the games are too frequent or that they are not interesting, I don’t know. It is possibly due to all those causes. During the coming year, we will have to do something to meet the new order of things. In passing, I would like to refer to some supporters, who will only serve the organisation when they are in office. I think every true Gael should give his full support to the games, whether in office or not.’

Appealing to the delegates to promote and foster the national pastimes during the coming year, the Chairman said that possibly they might be called on to serve other causes, but he was sure that Gaels would do their part in serving the national cause.

Jack O Dwyer, Financial Secretary, reported, ‘I am very sorry to tell you that our financial position is very far from satisfactory. Last year your gates were the lowest in the history of the East-Kerry Board. There was very little support given to any of the games. We had £22-16-7 on hands last year. Gate receipts were £25-19-10; refund from the Co. Board was £4-7-6. We paid out £34 in car hire, printing, £8, secretary’s expenses, £3-18-0 and bank charge, £1-11-0. We have now in hands, £6-4-3. I received no receipts from some games played. The Secretary of one club rang me up today and informed me that he had £2-6-0 in hands for one of these games. He could not come to-day because he could not get a car. That would leave a balance of £8-10-3.’ On the motion of S. T. O Riordan, seconded by Mike Joy, the report was adopted.

The following officers were elected: Chairman – Dr. Pat O Driscoll (Glenbeigh), Vice-Chairman- Con Healy (Headford), Hon. Secretary – Jack O Shea (Legion), Ass. Secretary – James O Sullivan (Legion), Financial Secretary – Sean Moriarty (Laune Rangers), Delegates to Co. Board – Martin Wade and John Joe Falvey, Delegate to Annual Congress – Liam McSweeney (Laune Rangers).

Liam McSweeney (Chairman) and Jack O Dwyer (Financial Secretary) did not seek re-election.

Speaking to a motion, tabled by Laune Rangers, ‘That East-Kerry be divided into two divisions’, Sean Moriarty (Laune Rangers) said that during the coming year their players would have to do without motor cars and would have to resort to bicycles, when travelling to matches. The motion was carried and the area was divided into two divisions, Killarney and Killorglin. (All this arose because of the shortage of fuel, due to World War 2).

At the conclusion of the meeting, Martin Wade, Killarney, proposed a vote of thanks to Liam McSweeney and Jack O Dwyer for the enormous work, which they had put into the organisation of Gaelic affairs in the Division. The motion was passed with acclamation. Returning thanks, Liam McSweeney said he was glad that anything, which they had done towards the development of the national pastimes, had been appreciated because it was done in the best interests of the GAA. They were very pleased to have helped such a great organisation.


The draws for the East-Kerry Senior League were made at a meeting of the Board on Sun. 9th Feb. Laune Rangers were represented by Sean O Riordan and Mike Joy. John Joe Falvey, Co. Board Delegate, was also in attendance.


At the Co. Board meeting on Sat. 5th April, Thomas Campbell was granted a transfer from Laune Rangers to Ross Rovers (Glenbeigh).


On Sun. 6th April at Glenbeigh Sports-field, Glenbeigh decisively beat Milltown, by 2-5 to 0-1, in the East-Kerry Junior League. Playing for Glenbeigh were Paddy Lyne (Quaybawn), Phil McGillycuddy (Dooks) and Francis Conway (Dooks). Referee for the game was Stevie Foley (Laune Rangers).


On Sun. 27th July, Listry beat Iveragh Gaeltacht by 6-6 to 2-3 at Killorglin in the Co. Intermediate Football Semi-final. John Joe Falvey was a very capable referee.


On Sun. 6th July, Murt Kelly (Lismacfinnan) and Jim Joy (Ballykissane) helped the Geraldines to win a second Dublin Co. Senior Football Championship in a row. Kelly was particularly outstanding. On the same date, Paddy Clifford, a son of an old Laune Ranger, Danny, played on the Sligo team that went under to Roscommon at Boyle in the Connacht Championship.


Glencar won the Glenbeigh Parish League. There had been four teams, Glencar, Glenbeigh Village, Mountain Stage and Caragh Bridge, which had a wide selection, including Cromane.


When Kerry qualified for the All-Ireland final, a training fund was set up to allow patrons to make a donation. The people of Killorglin and the surrounding area were asked to give their donations to either Liam McSweeney or John Joe Falvey.


The Senior (Dingle v John Mitchels) and Intermediate (Castleisland v Listry) Co. Football Championship Finals were played in Tralee on Sun. 12th Oct. Those games caused unusual interest in Killorglin and every available seat in public and private cars in the district were booked weeks in advance. This prompted ‘Pars from Puck’ by Laune Ranger to write the following, “All the interest in county events gives one food for thought. It shows certainly that the Gaelic spirit is far from dead here and that GAA affairs are still of much concern, even though it may be difficult to reconcile that fact with the lack of interest in local GAA affairs, as evidenced by the high grass surface in the Sports-field. It may be stated that two generations are concerned, for whilst the players of some years ago are as keen and as enthusiastic as ever and follow every game with the same deep interest, the ‘lads’ of today are (in their own opinion) more modern in their outlook and, whilst anxious when the day comes to don the honoured colours and play a match, they find the drudgery of practice or keeping up their acquaintance with the art of Gaelic Football too boring and offering not sufficient variety. The Chairman of the club for a number of years, Mike Joy, supplies a link with the famous Laune Rangers of 1892, for he played as a boy in their second string. Vice-Chairman is Paddy Foley, an old Kerry junior. These two, who despite their example, cannot succeed in enthusing the Gaels (?) of today to play the game, for these are more concerned with show, parade and publicity that they are with the realities of the game. The history of the GAA in this district for the past few years makes sorry reading. We had the material but, owing to lack of enthusiasm, succeeded in getting nowhere. Always the same cause – lack of interest and pride in the colours or in the heroes who wore them – seems also to be non-existent, whilst pride in the town by the Laune seems also to have left the ‘lads’ of today. Congratulations to those links of other days who, despite buffets and failures, still steer the old ship and let us hope that their efforts, as well as those of the Hon. Sec. Sean Moriarty, will meet with greater success in future.”


Kerry won the All-Ireland Junior Football Championship final, defeating Cavan by 0-9 to 0-3 on 21st September at Croke Park.

Kerry: Johnny Sheehy (John Mitchels), Paddy Barrett (Dingle), Denny Lyne (Legion), Tim Brosnan (Dingle) capt., Dan Joe Healy (John Mitchels), Martin McCarthy (Castleisland), Tommy O Sullivan (Dingle), John Murphy (Listry), Joe Kennington (Austin Stacks), Phil McCarthy (Spa, Tralee), Bruddy O Donnell (John Mitchels), Paddy Sexton (Killarney), Tom Long (Dingle), Teddy Lyne (Legion), Paddy ‘Chipsy’ O Donoghue (John Mitchels). Subs: Peter Ronan (K. O Rahillys), Tom Flaherty (Dingle), Mick Buckley (Tarbert), Joe Staunton (Shannon Rangers), Mike Kennedy (Portmagee).


By April 1941, the threatened shortage of turf in the Killorglin district, resulting from the sale of large quantities to outside districts, had become serious. The danger of a fuel famine for the poor people of the town was so real that the Parish Committee, after considering the matter, passed the following motion, ‘That we, the members of the Killorglin Parish Council, request the Kerry County Council to ensure that local needs, in regard to turf, be first supplied and that supplies to outside bodies receive secondary consideration.’ Sean T. O Riordan, in a covering letter, explained that ‘the price of turf in the local market has been raised considerably, making it impossible for town dwellers to purchase turf in the usual local market. Several tons of turf are being entrained daily for outside districts, which will result in a serious fuel shortage in this district.’


The Parish Council, in response to the country’s appeal to till more land, procured plots of land for cultivation by the landless unemployed of the parish. Michael Dodd kindly donated 10 acres at Ardmoniel for that purpose. In April there was an air of activity and bustle about the plot-holders and much work was going on in preparation for the sowing of the potatoes. Each plot was one-eighth of an acre and seed potatoes were supplied.


At the market in Killorglin on Tues. 22nd April, potatoes varied from 10d per stone for Banners to 1/2 for the table varieties, hay ranged from 3/- to 5/- per cwt. and oats was generally 2/6 per stone.


In mid-June the business of Killorglin had suffered very much due to the foot-and-mouth restrictions. The prevention of fairs and markets meant a considerable loss to the town. Thankfully, the restrictions were lifted in time to allow Puck Fair to proceed as normal.


Liam McSweeney, Chairman of the Local Committee, presented Garda Sergeant T. B. Foley with an appropriately inscribed wrist-watch at a function in the Railway Hotel to mark his transfer to Nenagh, after serving in the area for six years.


There was dancing each night during Puck Fair in the Carnegie Hall (from 9pm to 5am) to the music of Kearin’s Irish Minstrels. Admission was 1/6. There was dancing each night in the Oisín Ballroom (from 9p to 5am) to the Music of Lar Ward’s Band, Mallow, specially augmented for the occasion. Admission was 3/-.


One of the many difficulties resulting from the World War was the difficulty of travel. The scarcity of petrol and the consequent increase in taxi-car fares placed the means of travel beyond the reach of many. The train had become so erratic and untrustworthy that no longer could it be depended upon with confidence (Steam-trains depended on fuel, especially coal, which had become very scarce due to the protracted war).


A meeting of the Caragh Lake Tenants’ Committee was held on Sun. 24th Aug. Michael Fenton presided. It was stressed that the attendance at those meetings should be better and more punctual. The local subscription list submitted was incomplete and unsatisfactory. Some, it seemed, subscribed according to their means and others according to their meanness. The list from Dromin sent in to the meeting was considered satisfactory, with the exception of a few defaulters. The following resolution was adopted, copies of which were ordered to be sent to the Minister and the Press, ‘That we, the members of Caragh Lake Tenants’ Committee, request the Minister of Supplies to have artificial manures and seeds made available, at reasonable prices, to the land owners in this poor, congested district, in proportion to the acreage they have to till for the coming Spring. That it was deplorable to note that large quantities of artificial manures were supplied last Spring, by merchants to some farmers for extra cash, and applied to grasslands. That it is matter of grave concern that many small farmers, who were willing to answer the call to till more, were badly hampered, as the excessive prices prevailing put these manures and seed beyond their reach.’ Signed by Seamus Ó Gríobhtha, P.C., Hon. Sec.


The price of The Kerryman newspaper in 1941 was 2d.


At the end of the year Margaret Mary J. Mangan, an eminent American lawyer, was nominated by the Democratic Party, as candidate for the post of New York’s County Registrar. She had been born in 1907 in New York of Kerry parents, William Mangan, Killorglin, and Hannah O Sullivan, Sneem.


The Annual Convention of the East-Kerry Board was held on Sun. 25th Jan. 1942 in the Central Club, Killarney. The Secretary, James O Sullivan, Legion, gave his report as follows: ‘Fourteen clubs affiliated and took part in the competition during the year, being an increase of three over the previous year. The Senior League was finished early in the season but the final of the Junior competition has yet to be decided. Generally, affairs in East-Kerry have improved immensely during the year. Attendances and gate receipts have increased and the co-operation between the various clubs and the Board have been, in most cases, excellent. Therefore, we can regard the activities of the year with satisfaction for the success, which attended our endeavours and if the prevailing spirit of enthusiasm and co-operation – which was so manifest during the last term – is maintained, we may indeed look forward to the future with confidence.’