Laune Rangers – 1940

The AGM of the Laune Rangers Club was held in the Carnegie Hall on Tues, 5th March 1940. Mike Joy was returned as Chairman, Paddy Foley was Vice-Chairman and Sean Moriarty, School Road, was elected Secretary.

A few weeks previously, the Kerryman, in its column ‘Pars from Puck’ by Laune Ranger, carried the following message for Convention, ‘Our local club will shortly be discussing the report for the past season and considering the programme for the coming year. In the forefront of the proposals to be considered is that for training and practice, for had our footballers- senior and junior – taken these seriously last year, the results of most of their encounters would have been more happy. Too long has the club been forced to accept players on their past records and, in one case, the record of the family. Too often has the Committee been forced to make the final selection on the evidence of others. Stringent enforcement of the regular practice rule is the only remedy for such slip-shod and unsatisfactory methods. After all, if a player ambitions a place on the county or league teams, is it not too much to expect that he should impress the selectors with his earnestness as well as his worth and ability. There is now no excuse for what must be termed apathy by many of our younger playing members and only the adoption of very severe measures will remedy their evident disregard for training and practice. They have a field at their disposal – an advantage denied their predecessors of not very remote days – when the Fair Field was the best provided. Let us hope that the new season will see an improvement in this respect as well as in the others, which need attention.’

On the week prior to the AGM, Pars for Puck by Laune Ranger, in the Kerryman, tried to drum up support for the meeting with this paragraph: ‘With the arrival of Spring, the budding of the trees, the singing of the birds and the re-introduction of New Time comes the reanimation of the Laune Rangers Football Club. This marks a definite period in the life of the town for the hop of the ball heralds new life and hope. The old become interested, the young enthused, the players practice and the opponents theorise. And so at the outset of another season, the general meeting of all interested is to be held in the Carnegie Hall on Tuesday night next (5th inst.) at 9.00pm. Everybody invited and all welcome.’


Co. Senior/Intermediate Football Championship

Eight teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship, Austin Stack’s, North Kerry, John Mitchel’s, Dingle, Kerins O Rahilly’s, Shannon Rangers, Killarney, Gaeltacht.

The remainder, Castleisland, Laune Rangers, Keel, Castlegregory, Iveragh, Listry, Iveragh Gaeltacht, Kenmare entered for the Intermediate Championship. That was played on a league basis and, when a team was beaten twice, it was out of the championship.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 28th April at Castleisland: Castleisland 5-12; Laune Rangers 1-2.

The game was played before a small gathering. The play was not brilliant and the score did not flatter Castleisland. The referee had a hard time, although he was by no means strict. There were very few tackles in the match that were not whistled up.

Killorglin, although outclassed, showed determination to the end. Their defence was weak and uncoordinated, Monnie O Reilly and Pat O Riordan being the pick of the lot. Stephen O Donoghue, in goals, deserved mention for some great saves. In the forward line, Eddie West was a consistent worker, Paud O Neill being the opportunist.

Laune Rangers were slow in finding their feet and the home team, with a stiff following breeze, piled up a lead in the first half, which the visitors found insurmountable. Brosnan opened the scoring for Castleisland with a neat point. Before that half had finished, he had added five more points to his opening minor. For the majority of the half-hour, Laune Rangers were pinned to their own territory and, when they did come downfield, a capable Castleisland defence broke up the ragged attack. Cronin shot a goal and Behan had a nice point from 40 yards. The latter followed that with a goal, which he punched in from a ruck around the Rangers goal-mouth. Gainey, who had helped in getting most of the scores, claimed two goals. The halftime whistle brought relief to the sorely tried Killorglin defence, with the scores at Castleisland 4-7; Laune Rangers 0-0.

On the resumption, Rangers swept downfield in a spirited movement. Eddie West was fouled on the 21 yards mark and he sent the ball well between the uprights. Castleisland replied with a point, per Brosnan, from 40 yards out. Killorglin returned from the kick-out and Eddie West added another minor from a difficult angle. John Joe Falvey fielded the kick-out and sent Rangers on the attack again with a pass to Kevin Foley, who raced in and shot hard to the goal. Sullivan, in the Castleisland goals, broke the ball out but Paud O Neill was on to it immediately and punched in the ball for a great Killorglin goal.  Castleisland then took command and a nice movement from McCarthy to Brosnan to Shanahan resulted in a minor for the latter. Another rush by Castleisland resulted in a wide. Gainey got the kick-out and sent over another point. Brosnan added to the score and Griffin had a great goal shortly afterwards. Lyons finished the scoring with a minor for Castleisland from a 30 yards free.

Laune Rangers: Stephen O Donoghue, Monnie O Reilly (St. Mary’s), Jimmy O Donoghue (Langford St.), Tom O Leary (Lr. Bridge St.), James Foley , Pat O Riordan, Jim Sheehy (Cloon), Teddy O Connor (Ardmoniel), John Joe Falvey (Lr. Bridge St.), Pat Joe Breen, *Tom Campbell (Glenbeigh), Eddie West (New Line), Paud O Neill (Langford St.), Timmy O Connell (Ballymacprior), Kevin Foley (Iveragh Rd.).  *Tom Campbell was also captain of Glenbeigh, which had just affiliated a junior team with the East-Kerry Board and they were looked after by the local M. O., Dr. Pat J. O Driscoll.

Castleisland: K. Sullivan (goal), Mick Sugrue, P. Murphy, N. Hussey, A. Burke, Martin McCarthy, Michael O Callaghan, Willie Lyons, Denis Collins, T. Brosnan, Mick Behan, M. J. Griffin, Johnny Cronin, T. Shanahan, Con Gainey (capt.), D. Loughlin.

Ref: P. Curtin – capable.

Pars from Puck, by Laune Ranger, in The Kerryman, consoled the team as follows, ‘This was the first appearance of our young team in county affairs and, though they were disappointed at the decisive result, the Selection Committee considered the lads had not done very badly. They are young and promising and the same, who successfully represented the Rangers in East Kerry contests against Killarney and Kilcummin recently. They admit the superiority of Castleisland and make no excuses. This marks them as sports and it is hoped they will keep up this spirit. The local Gaels feel that, though we are very limited in our selection now, it is much better for the game locally that we are thus confined, as all our lads are within easy reach and, so, will have plenty of practice and thus know one another better than heretofore. And it is surely this practice, this cohesion, which has been all along lacking. Now, however, it is generally admitted that our representatives are young and need years, weight and strength but so did successful armies. They have grit and determination, which ought to go a long way, together with their anxiety for practice and love of the game.’


Rd. 2 on Sun. 26th May at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-5; Keel 1-4.

The weather conditions interfered much with the match, as well as with the attendance, which was very sparse. The referee had the teams lined up punctually and, not withstanding a light mist the ball was in play a few minutes after schedule and soon the discomfort of the rain was almost forgotten.

The outstanding feature of the matches (Listry beat Gaeltacht afterwards by 1-6 to 1-5) was the masterful way in which the referee, Charlie Fleming, kept control of the teams. It was no small achievement to control so successfully two such contests, but his whistle was that of a dictator and, when the occasion arose to penalise two players, he was not slow to impose the extreme penalty, the sideline, and, in this, he had the approval of all and sundry.

As well as the decision on a single score, each match had other features in common, especially that of slowness to settle down, with the result that it was only in the second half that there was real hard play and then bunching was general throughout, all four teams offending.

Keel were away on the throw, but were soon held up at midfield and play varied for some time until Brendan Kelliher, for the visitors, sent over for the opening minor. Rangers got going but Keel seemed to be everywhere and it needed all John Joe Falvey’s ingenuity to get the ball through to the forwards. However, Keel was safe and the ball travelled back and, after some whistling, the ball came to Keel territory where Timmy O Connell placed over a neat point for the Rangers, who should have added a further score soon afterwards but missed badly. Keel was changing positions and a grand centre from a free was spoiled by fouling in the Rangers goal-mouth. Play was rather slow until Kelliher again pointed and, ere the applause of followers had died away. P. Courtney found the Rangers net. A 50 for Rangers went wide and the game was spoiled by close play. A free for Rangers, taken by Teddy O Connor, was secured by Eddie West, who sent over a neat point. A goal by Timmy O Connell was disallowed and so the short whistle found keel winning by 1-2 to 0-2.

On the resumption, Keel was again first away but a determined attack was held up and a resulting free was responsible for a minor for Rangers. Play was on the sideline and there was much close play and bunching. A free for Keel, taken by Kelliher, added a further point. The game was very fast and Teddy O Connor, after a hard struggle, netted for the home side and the same player immediately added a minor. Keel’s attack was warded off by Jim Sheehy and Timmy O Connell, securing, added a further point. Here, a few of the players got heated and, without much delay, Teddy O Connor (Rangers) and M. Foley (Keel) were ordered to the sideline. A minor per Kelliher, from a free, finished the scoring.

Laune Rangers: John Joe Falvey, John Foley, Paddy O Lyons, Jimmy O Donoghue, Pat O Riordan, Jim Sheehy, Teddy O Connor, Pat Joe Breen, Eddie West, Paud O Neill, Kevin Foley, Monnie O Reilly, Timmy O Connell, Paddy Costello, James West (New Line), Michael O Grady (Mill Road), James Flynn (Dungeel), Johnny O Doherty (Ardmoniel), James Foley.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 14th July at Castlegregory: Castlegregory 2-7; Laune Rangers 4-0.

A small attendance saw the home team settle down in the first half and take control of the greasy ball on the slippery pitch. For the first 20 minutes, it was all Castlegregory. A Rangers goal set the visitors off and the second half was packed with excitement, as the homesters strove to stem the advancing tide of Killorglin scores.

By relentless marking and hefty clearances, Castlegregory, managed to hold the Rangers until the final whistle brought relief to their sorely pressed team.

For two-thirds of the first half, Castlegregory took over the scoring. Kennedy (1-2), Driscoll (0-3) and Bowler (1-0) worked hard to ensure a home lead. In the last few minutes, the Rangers, striking back desperately, had a goal per Paud O Neill, leaving the halftime score at 2-5 to 1-0.

Soon after the resumption, Bowler pointed for Castle. Their only other score, a point, came mid-way in the half. Killorglin took over, with a goal by Eddie West. John Joe Falvey followed with another major. The Rangers redoubled their efforts but were held off desperately until a few minutes from full-time, when Paud O Neill burst through for a grand goal. The long whistle went with the scores reading 2-7 to 4-0, in favour of the home team.

Laune Rangers: Stephen O Donoghue, Jimmy O Donoghue, Paddy Lyons, Tom Leary, Kevin Foley, Pat O Riordan, Jim Sheehy, Paddy Burke (Abbeylands), Johnny Moriarty, Mick O Connor, John Joe Falvey, Eddie West, Paud O Neill, Timmy O Connell, Paddy Mike Foley (Ownagarry). Subs: Owen Costello (Langford St.), James Foley, Derry Burke (Abbeylands).

Castlegregory: John O Neill (goal), Sean Egan, Paddy Moriarty, D. Dunne, Michael O Connor, Maurice Cahillane, Michael Flaherty, Tadhg O Donnell, Mossy Wrenn, James ‘Fox’ Kennedy, Ned Brick, John Bowler, Pa O Driscoll, Batty Lynch, N. Fitzgerald.

Ref: J. Slattery (Tralee).

That defeat meant that Laune Rangers were out of the Co. Intermediate Championship for 1940.


Kenmare beat Listry to win the Co. Intermediate Championship.


East-Kerry Senior Football Championship


1939 Senior Semi-final on Sun. 14th Jan. in Killorglin: Listry beat Laune Rangers.

Listry went on to beat Keel in the final, which was played in Killorglin on Sun.4th February. The score was 1-3 to 1-2 and thus Listry recorded a three-in-a-row of East-Kerry Senior Championships.


1940 Rd. 1 on Sun. 31st March at Killorglin: Laune Rangers beat Dr. Crokes.

The contest was remarkable in at least two respects – the match was played in a drenching downpour and the absence of onlookers. Certainly, it was to the credit of both teams that, regardless of the rain, their own comfort and convenience and indeed of their health, they took the field at the call of the whistle. The ground was, of course, very greasy and not conducive to good football but, notwithstanding that, the display was worthy of both combinations and reminiscent of more hard-fought contests between those teams, between whom a very strong friendship had grown. Nor with the hard knocks given and taken, during the hour, were those feelings of friendliness lessened after that game. Indeed, they were more closely cemented, were that possible, and the victory by three points margin over such rivals did not take with it the usual charm and gratification. It was a manly, clean, open game in trying weather conditions. Ref: Jack Clifford (Listry).


Rd. 2 on Sun. 14th April at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-5; Wolfe Tones (Kilcummin) 0-3.

That was the score when the visitors walked off the field. Fortunately, the crowd was on the small side, as from an early stage, there were ‘incidents’ and the referee, Jack Clifford, Listry, had his decisions questioned frequently. His job was difficult but he unflinchingly carried through to the interval, when, all hoped, the break and the breathing space would effect a change. But it was not so and, finally, matters came to such a pass that, the ball was forgotten. There was trouble and, later, Kilcummin, walked off, leaving the score as above, to the disappointment of those who attended, in hopes of seeing a good contest.

Subsequently, Kilcummin were suspended by the East-Kerry Board for six months, according to rule. Kilcummin successfully appealed the decision to the Co. Board on Thurs. 6th June. Liam McSweeney, Chairman of the East-Kerry Board, said that, in ruling against Wolfe Tones, he had acted on the report of the referee. The Kilcummin delegate, Dee O Connor, denied that his team had left the field and he was supported by the referee, who said that neither team had left the field but that, when the row started, he had left the pitch.

Ref: Jack Clifford (Listry)


Rd. 3: Keel beat Laune Rangers at Castlemaine.


Rd. 2 (replay) Sun. 29th Sept. at Killorglin: Wolfe Tones (Kilcummin) 0-6; Laune Rangers 0-3.

This re-fixture attracted only a small attendance. Those who were present, however, were treated to a game of thrills and excitement. Michael Casey, Clare, had the teams lined up punctually.

Kilcummin were first away and the home defence was badly shaken before the Rangers asserted themselves and then ensued a dour struggle, neither side giving any quarter. Rangers had the better of the play for the first quarter and, after many heavy onslaughts and missing at least six openings, secured a point. Away went Kilcummin, who made most of their opportunities and at halftime led by 0-3 to 0-1.

Again, on the resumption, did Rangers give away opportunities of scoring, severely testing the visitors’ custodian on a few occasions. But Kilcummin, though unfortunate in the ball rebounding from the posts on two occasions, secured a decisive victory.

For the victors, Dee O Connor was, of course, outstanding, ably helped by Mickey McCarthy, Fleming and Andy Moriarty. Rangers were best served by Pat Joe Breen, Jimmy O Donoghue, Paddy Burke and Paud O Neill.

The defeat of the Rangers by Kilcummin made its own bit of history as it was the first time ever that this had happened. In contrast to the previous meeting, the relationship between the teams was remarkably friendly and the contest was very clean, if robust.


At the Annual Convention of the East-Kerry Board on Sun. 26th Jan. 1941, it was unanimously decided to abandon the competition.


East Kerry Junior Football Championship


1939 Killorglin area playoff: Keel beat Laune Rangers.

Keel went on the play Rathmore in the final, which was eventually awarded to Rathmore.


The teams for the 1940 League were divided into two divisions, with the top team in each division playing in the final. The teams in the Killorglin division were Keel, Currow, Listry, Castle Rovers and Laune Rangers. Glenbeigh affiliated later in the year.


Sun. 28th July at Glenbeigh: Laune Rangers 1-2; Glenbeigh (Ross Rovers) 0-3.

A fair attendance witnessed a rousing and spectacular game. Weather conditions were all that could be desired and the whistle was in the capable hands of Michael Casey, the well-known Co. Clare and inter-provincial footballer.

Considering that this was Ross Rovers first engagement under league auspices, they must be accredited with a very brilliant and spirited display. The absence of Tommy Campbell was a decided loss and his presence in the forward line would have made a huge difference. The Killorglin forwards, on the whole, gave an extremely clever display and, at times, they seemed too wily for the home defenders. Their opponents, on the other hand, possessed speed and stamina and were seen to best effect in the last quarter. The halftime score was Laune Rangers 1-0; Ross Rovers 0-2.

Laune Rangers: P. Moroney, M. Sullivan, D. Connor, Michael O Grady, Kevin Murphy, Jeremiah Moriarty, James West, D. Flynn, P. McMahon, J. Heffernan, J. Foley, J. Moloney, M. Shea, J. Flynn, J. Foley. Breen came on as a sub in the second half.

Ross Rovers: J. Donoghue, Batt O Donoghue, Michael Donoghue, Francis Donoghue, Andy O Sullivan, D. O Sullivan, John O Sullivan, Tom Jones, P. Jones, Paddy Lyne, D. Looney, Sean Teahan, Michael Foley, Tim Sugrue, P. Grady.

Subsequently, Glenbeigh successfully objected to Laune Rangers being awarded the game, on the grounds of playing illegal (senior) players. The game was awarded to Glenbeigh at an East-Kerry Board meeting on Mon. 18th Sept. in the Temperance Hall, Killarney. Liam McSweeney, Laune Rangers, presided at the meeting. J. Mangan and J. Duggan represented Laune Rangers.


At the Annual Convention of the East-Kerry Board on Sun. 26 Jan. 1941, it was unanimously decided to abandon the competition.


Parish League

The Town Cup competition proved very popular and there were three teams, Upper Town, Lower Town and Over Laune.


Munster/All-Ireland Senior Football Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 19th May at Glin: Limerick 1-2; Kerry 4-9.

Murt Kelly played at centre half-forward.


Semi-final on Sun. 30th June in Cork: Kerry 4-8; Tipperary 1-5.

Murt Kelly played at right corner-forward.


Final on Sun. 21st July at Waterford: Kerry 1-10; Waterford 0-6.

In the 10th minute, Murt Kelly, playing at right full-forward had hard luck not to register a goal, driving the ball a shade wide of the objective. However, he scored a point soon afterwards. In the second half, he shot hard for a goal but a point resulted.


All-Ireland Semi-final on Sun. 18th Aug. at Croke Park: Kerry 3-4; Cavan 0-8.

Murt Kelly played at right full-forward.


Final on Sun. 22nd Sept at Croke Park: Kerry 0-7; Galway 1-3.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe (Kerins O Rahillys), Bill Myers (Killarney), Joe Keohane (John Mitchels), Tadhg Healy (do.), Bill Dillon (Dingle), Bill Casey (Dingle), Eddie Walsh (Knocknagoshel), Sean Brosnan (Dublin, late Dingle), Johnny Walsh (Ballylongford), Jimmy O Gorman (Austin Stacks), Tom O Connor (Dingle), Paddy Kennedy (Geraldine’s, Dublin), Murt Kelly (do.), Dan Spring (Kerins O Rahillys) capt., Charlie O Sullivan. Sub. Paddy Bawn Brosnan (Dingle) for D. Spring (inj.)

That was Kerry’s fourteenth senior title, on a par with Dublin. Con Brosnan trained the team. With that win, Murt Kelly had his third All-Ireland Senior Championship medal and Gerald Teahan, his first.


Munster/All-Ireland Minor Football Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 19th May at Glin: Limerick 2-6; Kerry 4-8.

Eddie West played at left corner-forward and was credited with a goal, when T. Sheehan, the Limerick goalkeeper, rose to save a neat Kerry centre but ‘Eddie West bundled him, the fullback and the ball inside the goal-line for a goal.’


Semi-final on Sun. 30th June at Cork: Kerry 3-5; Cork 3-3.

In the first half, a free to Kerry left Eddie West in possession but an over resulted. Kerry forced back the kick-out and O Connor, in the Cork goal, saved a stinging shot from West.

Kerry: Sean Begley (goal), T. Teahan, Denny Ahern, Seamus O Connor, Dan Collins, Murt O Shea, Tom O Sullivan, Francis O Connor, K. Kennedy, Owen Collins, Finbar Cox, Eddie West, C. Donovan, Michael Leary, Johnny Cronin. Subs: T. O Sullivan, P. Reidy.

Cork: R. O Connor (goal), D. Foley, M. O Shea, F. O Neill, M. Collins, N. Ryan, T. O Sullivan, D. Cremin, D. J. O Shea, P. Barry, F. Young, D. Noonan, R. O Keeffe, S. Ahern, D. O Riordan.

Ref: J. J. Woods (Tipperary).


Final on Sun. 21st July at Tralee: Kerry 1-3; Clare 1-2.

In the first half, Eddie West dribbled the ball 40 yards up the wing but lost it to Lenihan, who cleared. The only forceful bit of football of the first half came in the 25th minute. The home-team swarmed round the Clare goal-mouth. Green cleared to the side. Cronin raced out and crossed the ball back to West, who ran through the Clare defence for a great goal.

Kerry: Sean Begley, Denny Ahern, Murt Shea, Seamus Connor, Dan Collins, Finbar Cox, T. P. O Sullivan, Tom Spillane, M. Sullivan, Owen Collins, Michael Leary, Eddie West, C. Donovan, Johnny Cronin, K. Kennedy. Sub: John Brennan.

Clare: T. Kelly (goal), J. Collins, R. Green, L. Dwyer, A Lenihan, M. Kelly, J. Clancy, T. McHugh, P. Boyle, P. Keane, M. Tubridy, A. McNamara, J. Marrinan, J. Callinan, P. Ryan.

Ref: Martin Kelly (Galway).


All-Ireland Semi-final on Sun. 1st Sept. at McHale Park, Castlebar: Mayo 3-12; Kerry 2-5.

Eddie West played at left half-forward.

Eddie West (New Line)

Eddie West (New Line) He played for the Kerry minor footballers in 1939 and 1940. He won a Munster Minor Football Championship in 1940.
Eddie West (New Line)
He played for the Kerry minor footballers in 1939 and 1940.
He won a Munster Minor Football Championship in 1940

National Football League 1939/1940


Sun. 3rd March at the Galway Sports Ground: Galway 2-8; Kerry 3-5.

Gerald Teahan played at right halfback and Murt Kelly played at full-forward.


National Football League 1940/1941


Rd. 1 on Sun.27th Oct. at Naas: Kildare 1-7; Kerry 1-8

Gerald Teahan played at centre halfback.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 10th Nov. at Listowel: Kerry 0-6; Galway 0-5.

Gerald Teahan played at right halfback and Murt Kelly played at right half-forward.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 24th Nov. at Portlaois: Laois 0-6; Kerry 1-12.

Gerald Teahan played on the forty and Murt Kelly occupied his usual right half-forward, scoring 9 points from frees, a feat described by PF, in the Kerryman, as, ‘one of the greatest scoring feats of all time’.


Railway Cup


Semi-final on Sun. 17th March in Croke Park: Leinster 3-7; Munster 0-2

An all-Kerry side was well beaten. Murt Kelly played at right half-forward.




Pádraig McNamee, Aontroma, was elected as Uachtarán CLG.


Sean McCarthy, Corcaigh, was Chairman of the Munster Council, Sean McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


Co. Convention was held on Sun. 28th Jan. in Killarney. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Din Joe Baily; Vice-Chairman – Chairmen of the District Boards and J. J. Landers; Joint-Secretaries – Micheál Ó Ruairc and Jerry Myles; Treasurers – Con Clifford and John Moran.


The draws and format for the Co. Championship were made at a Co. Board meeting in the Ashbourne Hotel on Fri. Fri. 15th March. Laune Rangers were represented by Teddy O Connor and John Joe Falvey. At the meeting, the reinstatement of Michael (Monnie) O Reilly, Killorglin, was approved.


The AGM of the East Kerry Board was held on Sun. 7th Jan. 1940 in the old Town Hall, Killarney. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1939). Liam McSweeney (Laune Rangers), Chairman, presided. The Laune Rangers delegates were Seamus Roche, John Joe Falvey and Monnie O Reilly. The Chairman, in his address, said, ‘It is usual at this time to review the work of the past year – to do a little stocktaking, as it were, so that we may appreciate our position. In doing so, we should bear in mind the aims and objects of the GAA and remember that this great organisation set about to achieve for us more than playing hurling and football according to the code for sharing in the importance of the games – the pastimes, the language and the traditions of the country stand side by side. We should meet here as members of an organisation which, together with the Gaelic League, has, since its inception in 1884, kept the spirit of the Gael alive and served to give us a true appreciation of our position as a nation and imbued us with an interest, enabling us to view in true perspective the history of our country and the achievements of our race. Yes, the aims of the association were to foster all that were best in our ancestors and to take pride in and treasure the traditions handed down to us.

The true Gael, the consistent adherent of GAA, appreciates that his duty to the organisation does not end with the mere playing or supporting football and hurling. He realises that the organisation expects him to represent all that is best of Irish manhood in habits, manners, customs, conduct in our dealings with one another, an example to be followed by those who come after us as we follow that of those who went before and aiming at a country that is Irish in sport, language, games, pastimes, customs and outlook, as is hereditary for us.

The organisation does not pride in those who believe that, by playing or supporting the games, they sufficiently discharge their liabilities to assist, whilst in other respects bringing no credit to it or themselves. They seek the shelter of an organisation to which they, in name only, belong. It is such as these who are responsible for much of the antagonism occasionally met with. They, as it were, stand on the pedestal of the GAA and indignantly shower insult at others outside our ranks, who are in their lives, conduct and aims more exemplary and creditable to the country. They ostrich-like bury their heads in the sands of the playing pitch and leave themselves otherwise exposed to the assaults of every temptation and inconsistency. Better the organisation without such pseudo members.

Much though we are attached to our organisation, much though we love it and are anxious to make sacrifices for it, we should remember that Ireland belongs not to us alone. History, even modern history, tells us that others, besides followers of our association, gave their lives for the country they loved with none the less depth of sincerity, as there are many outside our organisation today who love Ireland as warmly as those within. Our aim should be to attract them to our ranks than threat them as antagonists.

I would like to appeal to the playing section of our members to have more consideration for the supporters, without whom the GAA would not exist. Even in our own district, there are clubs, notorious for their lack of thought for the non-playing section. Clubs whose players seem to disregard punctuality, the passage of time or the comfort, convenience or disappointment caused by their selfish inconsideration.

Their sin reflects on the organisation a whole lot, whilst a little effort by their clubs and players would remedy a laxity, at which our friends ‘cnáwvshawl’ and, which is used by others as an ‘asachán’.

Here, let me again, on your behalf, congratulate our county team for annexing still another All-Ireland Championship for the Kingdom after one of the best contests of recent years.

Even though our leagues are still unfinished, the Board has reason for pride in its very successful season, the general conduct of the players and the high standard of play.

I would be failing in my duty to you, to the district and county, were I not to protest against the treatment of the Fitzgerald Stadium by the Munster and Central Councils in the matter of fixtures. For not only is the Stadium treated shamefully but the memory of the great Gael whom it commemorates and the county, which has done more than any other to raise the status of Gaelic Football. Much has been written on this subject already, as the boycott seems to be closely studied and considered. For with a pitch and accommodation second to none outside of Croke Park, with hotel and catering facilities for huge crowds, with Kerry travelling out for matches more than any other team, all are ignored and the county and Fitzgerald Park are forgotten. May we hope for a change in 1940’ In conclusion, the Chairman urged the use of the Irish language on the playing field.

The following officers were elected unanimously: Chairman – Liam McSweeney (Laune Rangers), Vice-Chairmen – Morrie Moriarty (Listry) and Vince Doyle (Legion), Secretary – Jack O Shea (Legion), Delegates to Co. Board – Martin Wade and Charlie Fleming, Co. Football Selection Committee – Martin Wade, Delegates to Annual Congress – Jack O Shea and Liam McSweeney. The outgoing Treasurer and Financial Secretary, Jack O Dwyer (Laune Rangers), wrote regretting his inability to continue. His resignation was accepted with regret and it was decided to invite nominations for the next meeting.

Laune Rangers had two motions on the ‘clár’:

‘ That the venue for Convention be rotated.’ Passed unanimously and Killorglin was chosen as the venue for the Convention in 1941.

‘That the Senior League competition be so arranged that the two teams highest in points meet in the final.’ Passed.


John Joe Falvey presided at a meeting of the East-Kerry Board in the Park Place Hotel, Killarney on Mon. 11th March. Laune Rangers were represented by Seamus Roche, Eddie West and Kevin Foley. The referee’s report of the Rathmore v Keel junior football final was considered and the match was awarded to Rathmore. Fixtures for the Senior and Junior Championships were made. Sympathy was extended to the relatives of the Birmingham martyrs – McCormick and Barnes.


John Joe Falvey refereed the following games, amongst others, for the Co. Board:

Senior Football Championship on Sun. 23rd June at Waterville: Gaeltacht (Iveragh) 1-6; Iveragh 1-4.

Senior Football Championship on Sun. 7th July at Keel: Keel 4-2; Castleisland 3-5.


On Sun. 13th Oct. Dingle, captained by Bill Dillon, won the Co. Senior Football Championship by beating Kerins O Rahilly’s in the final on the score of 2-6 to 1-7.


In July, Laune Rangers Club Secretary, Sean Moriarty, School Road, was appointed onto the staff of Douglas Boys’ N. S.


The final of the ‘31’ Drive, in aid of GAA funds, was held on Sunday night, 14th Jan. Playing was very interesting and, though the number engaged was on the small side, still the enthusiasm, measured by the strokes on the tables and the resounding knocks of the knuckles, seemed unbounded. After many hard contested games, the Steelroe/Bansha pair P. Flynn and J. Joy secured the £6 first award. Keel (Messrs. Griffin and O Connor) and Dooks (Messrs. Burkett and Walsh), owing to the lateness of the hour, divided 2nd and 3rd prizes (£3 and £1).


In Sept. the death occurred of Michael O Donoghue, Principal Killorglin Boys’ National School. Having succeeded Mícheál O Doherty in 1926, he had been shortly due to retire. He had been a prominent member of the Laune Rangers Club, for whom he defended goal for a number of years. He also had played in goals for Kerry in 1901 and 1902. The Laune Rangers team marched in procession at the funeral and the school children, wearing armlets, by their presence, paid the last tribute of respect to their teacher. The schools of the parish were closed, whilst the teachers joined the large cortege, which followed the remains to their last resting place at Dromavalla.


Liam McSweeney was Hon. Secretary of the Kerry Co. Board NACA.


During 1940 a Parish ‘Emergency’ Committee was set up in many parishes throughout the county. In early Aug. such a committee was set up in Killorglin, as follows: President – Rev. T. D. O Sullivan; Hon. Secretary – John T. O Riordan; Hon. Treasurer – A. Coghlan, Committee – G. A. Foley, F. P. McCarthy, M. Moriarty, John Fitzpatrick N. T., John A. Foley, P. O Sullivan, W. M. O Brien P. C., Mick O Neill P. C., James Griffin.


On Thurs. 15th Aug., favoured by beautiful weather and with large crowds lining the banks, bridge and quay, with the Laune’s placid waters mostly accommodating, the Killorglin Regatta took place. The programme provided two very keen boat races, while the laughter provoking (sea) horse race provided much amusement for the spectators and many thrills and spills for the competitors. The duck race furnished the tit-bit of the day, as the duck proved too agile for the swimmers and all attempts by the Committee and others proved unavailing to bring her within reach. Much to the delight of the crowd, the bird was awarded her freedom. The results were as follows:

Punt Race – 1st T. Foley (and B. West), 2nd Paddy Brick, 3rd J. Knightly.

Swimming – 1st J. McSweeney (Headford), 2nd George Prendiville, 3rd Eddie West. 12 competed.

Open Boat Race (4 oar, 7 men) – 1st J. Harmon (The Cliff), 2nd M. Sheehan (Gurrane). Won by 2 lengths and 3 lengths.

Open Boat Race (4 oar, 5 men) – 1st D. McGillycuddy (Caragh), 2nd D. McCarthy (Cromane). 3 lengths, 1 length.

Duck Race – prize divided.

(Sea) Horse Race – 1st Eddie West on ‘Kerry Minor’, 2nd James West on ‘Puck’s Fancy’.


On Fri. 11th Oct. Dr. Ryan, Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries, opened the first mussel purifying station in Ireland in Cromane. The station consisted of three large tanks, the first two being for rendering sea-water sterile and in the third, the mussels were purified.


At the end of Nov., the following appeared in the Kerryman, in Pars from Puck by Laune Ranger, “Heartiest congratulations are extended to Mr. Denis Guiney on his recent business achievement, the taking over of Cleary’s, Dublin. Killorglin holds a warm spot for Mr. Guiney, for it was here he served his apprenticeship with the late Mr. William Crowley, Draper, and so the people were naturally interested and appreciative at the progress of the boy of their moulding. On his staff, Killorglin has always been strongly represented, in appreciation of the town where he learned his secrets of success.”

The main feature of the market in Killorglin on Tues. 27th Feb. was the very large supply of potatoes, which sold at prices from 4d to 6d per stone.


What a change had been brought on turf-cutting and saving at that time. No longer did the farmer look upon it as his most unwelcome and difficult job, for the work had been shorn of much of its difficulty and suspense and expense. The ‘meitheall’ then travelled to the bog on cycles, with ‘sleáns’ and pikes attached. They went light-heartedly like the lark to the bog, where they worked and joked and laughed until a good day’s labour was accomplished when, a-wheel once more, they returned homewards, to resume work the following day if necessary. No longer did the men travel, penned up in a horse or donkey cart, definitely intent on work.


To the strains of the local Accordion band came 1940. There was a good number in the Square to see 1939, of unpleasant memories, out and to welcome the new arrival, on whom, as usual, great hopes were placed, chief being that of peace. Lustily, the crowd sang ‘Auld Lang Syne’ to the accompaniment of the band, whilst, as if in opposition, the strains of the junior band reached their ears. That, composed of the future Killorglin citizens, discoursed some distance away. Later there was an amalgamation and many national airs were discoursed and thus entered 1940, which all hoped would bring peace and happiness at home and abroad.


The Annual Convention of the East-Kerry Board was held in the Carnegie Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 26th Jan. 1941. Mr. James O Sullivan, Acting Secretary, reported, “In presenting the report of the East-Kerry Board for 1940, I regret to say that the position is far from satisfactory. Neither the Senior League, in which eight teams competed, nor the Junior League, for which twelve teams entered, has been completed. The Senior League has not yet even been advanced to the final stages and the first round of the junior league has not been finished. This state of affairs is partly due to the absence of our Secretary, Jack O Shea, during a critical period of the year, and this resulted in the suspension of the competitions and partly due to lack of support when the competitions were subsequently resumed. From these few facts, it may be gleaned that the present plight of the Board needs drastic and immediate restructure if it is to continue as a potent force in GAA affairs.” The report was unanimously adopted.