Laune Rangers – 1947

 The Mid-Kerry Board was formed in March. John T. O Riordan, Iveragh Road, was its first Secretary.

Laune Rangers reached the final of the first Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship, which was played in Moroney’s Field, Reen but lost to Milltown/Castlemaine.

Laune Rangers reached the final of the first Mid-Kerry Minor Football Championship, which was played in Moroney’s Field, Reen but lost to Milltown/Castlemaine.

Mid-Kerry was beaten by Tralee, the eventual winners, in the Co. Minor Football Semi-final. That was the inaugural year of the Co. Minor Football Championship.

Kerry beat Cork in the Munster Senior Football Final but lost to Cavan in the Polo Grounds, New York in the All-Ireland Final. Teddy O Connor, then with Dick Fitzgerald’s, was on the team and Gerald Teahan, then with Keel, was a substitute.

Kerry beat Cork in the Munster Minor Football Final but lost to Mayo in the All-Ireland Semi-final. Paddy ‘Donal’ Clifford, then with Glenbeigh, played at right fullback.

 *                  *                     *                      *                       *                        *                    *

A general meeting of the Laune Rangers Club took place in the Carnegie Hall on Tues. 28th Jan. with a view to the re-organisation of the club, which was thereafter to be known as the Laune Rangers GAA Club. About forty enthusiastic people attended.

The following officers were elected:

President – Very Rev. D. Finucane P. P.

Vice-Presidents – Rev. Jeremiah Murphy C.C., Rev. Michael Casey C.C., Rev. M. Galvin C.C. Glenbeigh, Dr. P. J. O Driscoll, Mike Joy, Jack O Dwyer, John Joe Falvey, Tim O Connor, Todd Mulvihill, James J. Curtin, Ted Mangan, J. D. O Riordan, Tadhg O Reilly N.T., Mícheál O Donoghue N.T.

Chairman – Paddy Foley.

Hon. Secretary – John T. O Riordan.

Treasurer – Tadhg O Connor N.T.

Committee: Kevin Foley, Michael O Grady, Liam Foley N.T., Tom O Leary, John Moriarty, Paddy Mike Foley, Jack O Dwyer (Junior), Patrick McCrohan, Stevie Foley, Bobby Doyle, Kevin Cremins, P. Evans, Christy O Riordan, Mícheál O Mahony.

It was decided to enter a team in the Co. Senior Football Championship, the team to be known as ‘The Laune Rangers.’


Co. Senior Football Championship

Ten teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship, Shannon Rangers, North Kerry, Dingle, John Mitchel’s, Legion, Austin Stack’s, Castleisland, Dick Fitzgerald’s, Kerins O Rahilly’s and Laune Rangers (This latter team was variously referred to in the papers as Killorglin Laune Rangers, Killorglin Geraldine Rangers and Geraldine Rangers). The teams were divided into two groups, one of six and one of four. Iveragh had initially entered the Senior Championship but later opted for the Intermediate Championship.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 20th April at Killarney: Dick Fitzgerald’s 1-6; Laune Rangers 1-3.

The home side had a wind that was nearly of gale velocity behind them in the first period but could do no better than turn over with a four points lead, 0-5 to 0-1. Things then looked ‘in the bag’ for the men from the banks of the Laune and Maine but, to the consternation of everybody, they crumbled and fell to pieces in the second moiety and were a well-beaten side long before the final whistle. The play, on the whole, was ragged and clearly of the ‘start of season’ variety. The Fitzgerald’s, whose strength of the previous two years had been sapped by the formation of the Geraldines, won due the individual brilliance of Dan Kavanagh. The Geraldines were a mediocre side.

It was difficult to assess the merits of the Geraldines. When they were good and that was in the first half, they were very, very good, and when they were poor, they were very poor. Their defence was dour and solid but the forwards were a slow and impotent lot.

Opening against the gale, they played right good, forceful and methodical football and had the Dick’s supporters frightened out of their wits before the halftime whistle blew. In that time Dick’s had points from far out by Dan Kavanagh (2), McSweeney (2) and Paddy Moynihan (1), while the Geraldines had a well-deserved point from Kevin Foley.

Shortly after the resumption, Kevin Horgan had a point for the visitors, but a clever movement between Kavanagh, Keogh and Sheehan, at the other end, saw the latter score a vital goal. That knocked all the sting out of the Geraldines and they were under pressure until near the end, when they came away for a surprise goal in a goalmouth scramble. With time running out, they had another point but Kavanagh had a like score at the other end to settle the issue.

Dick Fitzgerald’s: M. O Donoghue (goal), Paddy Cronin, Bill Myers, Tom Lynch, E. Keeffe, Paddy Batt Shanahan, Dan Buckley, Dan O Keeffe, J. McSweeney, Dan Kavanagh, T. Flynn, Paddy Moynihan, C. Sheehan, Tim Keogh, Mike Moynihan, Sub: Tim Healy for T. Flynn.

Laune Rangers: John Sheehan (Farranfore), Benny O Sullivan (Castlemaine), Seamus Daly (Ballyfinnane), Tom Evans (Keel), Kevin Murphy (Laune Rangers), Gerald Teahan (Keel), Liam O Riordan (Laune Rangers), P. Donovan (do.), Michael Doyle (do.), Johnny Moriarty (Laune Rangers & Cromane), Derry Burke (Abbeylands), Kevin Horgan (Firies), Mick Spring (Keel), Kevin Foley (Laune Rangers), Michael O Grady (Laune Rangers). Subs: Kevin Cremins (Laune Rangers), Paddy Mike Foley (Laune Rangers), Willie Walsh (Laune Rangers).

Ref: J. Fleming (Killarney).


Rd. 2 on Sun. 18th May at Austin Stack Park: Kerins O Rahilly’s 1-8; Laune Rangers 1-4.

The lighter O Rahilly’s side put up a good show all through against opponents who physically had the advantage but lacked the cuteness and polish of the Tralee side.

O Rahilly’s played against a stiff breeze in the first half. O Leary opened the scoring for them after seven minutes play with a point from a free after Cahill had been pulled down when he seemed all set to go through on his own. In following raids, Donovan was fouled close in. Sullivan sent a beauty of a shot into the Rangers goalmouth, which was cleared for a ‘50’. O Leary, receiving, pointed again. Johnny Moriarty   pointed for Rangers. O Rahilly’s then had a narrow escape when Kevin Foley let fly from point blank range only to strike the upright high-up. A sideline kick to Rangers, within their own 21 yards line, was sent sailing into the Rahilly’s square, aided by the strong breeze, for a nippy forward to cut right through the defence and give the visitors the lead with a great goal. The halftime score was 1-1 to 0-2 in favour of the Rangers.

O Rahilly’s, in the opening minutes of the second half, had three fruitless attempts for scores, until T. Raymond fielded a high ball and pointed. O Sullivan levelled the scoring with a point and O Rahilly’s went onto the lead with Keane’s goal from Fitzgerald’s cross. Keane added a further point. Then Gerald Teahan rallied a beaten Rangers side with a point and another from Derry Burke. That left the visitors just two points in arrears. However, the rally faded and points by Donovan and Keane tilted the balance in favour of the Tralee men. The Rangers pair, Michael Doyle and Derry Burke, got little scope in the middle of the field.

Kerins O Rahilly’s: Danno Keeffe, P. O Connor, D. Fitzgerald, W. Fitzgerald, J. O Connor, Mick Raymond, J. Sullivan, S. Griffin, D. O Sullivan, T. Raymond, C. Donovan, M. O Leary, S. Keane, J. Cahill, M. Fitzgerald.

Laune Rangers: John Sheehan, Eugie Joy (Laune Rangers), Benny O Sullivan, Tom Evans, Liam O Riordan, Gerald Teahan, Mikey O Connor (Keel), Michael Doyle, Derry Burke, Johnny Moriarty, Brendan Kelliher (Castlemaine), Kevin Horgan, Mick Spring, Kevin Foley, Brendan Kerrisk (Keel).

Ref: Eugene Powell (John Mitchel’s).


Rd. 3 on Sun. 1st June at Killorglin: Castleisland beat Laune Rangers.

Castleisland were lucky to scramble home winners by two points. From the beginning it was seen that both teams were evenly matched. That defeat meant that the Rangers were out of the Championship.


John Mitchel’s, captained by Joe Keohane, won the Co. Championship Final on Sun. 30th Aug. at the expense of Dingle on the score of 2-5 to 0-9.


County Intermediate Football Championship

Twelve teams entered for the Intermediate Championship, Castleisland, Iveragh, Gaeltacht, Tralee, North Kerry, Kenmare, Castlegregory, Shannon Rangers, Ballymacelligott, Laune Rangers, Currow and Rathmore.


Sun. 27th April at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-5; Iveragh 1-3.

Ref: J. Fleming (Killarney).


Sun. 13th July at Castleisland: Castleisland 0-8; Laune Rangers 0-3.

Laune Rangers panel: Kevin Cremins, Willie Walsh, Paddy ‘Donal’ Clifford, Brendan O Brien (Firies), John Quirke (do.), Eugie Joy, D. Daly, D. Murphy, M. Prendergast, Brendan Cronin, Paddy Burke (Abbeylands), Bobby Doyle, Peter O Sullivan (Farranfore), Paddy Mike Foley, Donie ‘Marcus’ O Neill (Farranfore), P. McDonnell, Jim Grady (Milltown), P. Moriarty, D. Kerrisk, Sean Hogan (Milltown), J. Foley.


Mid-Kerry Senior Football League/Championship (Kennedy Cup)

There were five teams in the competition, Firies, Milltown, Keel, Laune Rangers and Beaufort.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 23rd March at Beaufort: Laune Rangers beat Beaufort. Ref: Pete Coughlan (Beaufort).

Rd. 2 on Sun. 6th April at Castlemaine: Laune Rangers beat Firies. Ref: Tom Mangan (Castlemaine).


Rd. 3 on Sun. 22nd June at Milltown: Laune Rangers 2-1; Milltown —–

That game was, on the whole, a disappointing contest. Play was dull and sluggish, especially in the first half. Towards the end, however, the home side attacked in determined style, and there were some exciting moments in front of the Killorglin goal, but the defence line of the visitors held out bravely to the final whistle. Laune Rangers deserved their victory. They were best served by Johnny Moriarty, Michael Doyle, Kevin Foley, Kevin Murphy and Heffernan. For the losers, Benny O Sullivan, Derry Burke, Johnny O Sullivan, Brendan Cronin, Donal Neill, Denis Murphy, Sean Hogan and Brendan Kelliher lived up to their reputations.

Ref: John Joe Falvey (Laune Rangers).


Final on Sun. 4th April (1948) at Castlemaine: Milltown 1-7; Laune Rangers 1-2.

It was a spirited contest, in which clean kicking, sound fielding and smart combination were features of the play on both sides. Killorglin were well into the attack from the beginning, but Milltown kept the scores at level pegging of 0-2 each at the interval. In the second half, there were some lively exchanges, but the home side outshone in the final stages of the game to merit a well-deserved victory. For Milltown, John Cronin of Lyre was outstanding and his brilliant performances all through kept the spectators on their toes. Other outstanding players for the winners were Benny and Teddy O Sullivan, Sean Hogan, Brendan Kelliher, Michael Cronin, Thomas Keane and Jim Grady. Best for Killorglin were Johnny Moriarty, Kevin Cremins, Tom Leary, Kevin Foley, Paddy Moriarty and Paddy Clifford. Ref: Mikey O Connor (Keel)


 Mid-Kerry Minor Football League/Championship

Sun. 22nd June at Milltown: Milltown 2-1; Laune Rangers 0-2.                   Best for Milltown were Jerry Griffin, Tommy Carey, Barney Woods, Danny Keane and Tosh Heffernan, while, for the losers, Josie Mangan, Paddy Clifford, Keane and Sean Foley were best.                                              Ref: J. Sheehan (Firies).


Final on Sun. 4th April (1948) at Castlemaine: Milltown 1-3; Laune Rangers 0-4.

Best for Laune Rangers were, Paddy Clifford (Caragh Bridge), Josie Mangan (Laune View), Pat (P.P.) Galvin (Laune View), Sean O Reilly (Farrentoreen), who played in goals, Paddy Moriarty (Meanus) and Michael Murphy (Lismacfinnane). Best for the winners were Tommy Carey, Jerry Griffin, Barney Woods, Danny Keane, Alo Dowling and ‘Tosh’ Heffernan. Ref: Tom Mangan (Castlemaine).


Co. Minor Football Championship

This was the first year of the Co. Minor Football championship. 8 teams took part, Iveragh, Tralee, North-Kerry, West-Kerry, Castleislandd, Mid-Kerry and 2 from East-Kerry.


Trial game was on Sun. 11th May at Milltown: Killorglin/Beaufort beat Castlemaine/Keel/Milltown/Firies. The former combination won by 3 goals. Jerry Griffin, Castlemaine and Tommy Carey, Milltown were outstanding for the losers. Patsy Hurley, Barney Woods and Allo Dowling of Milltown gave a good account of themselves, also. John O Sullivan, Firies and O Brien, Killorglin, played with skill throughout the game. Paddy Clifford (Milltown), a former Kerry Junior Footballer, was appointed to train the Mid-Kerry team.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 1st June at Killorglin: Killorglin beat Castleisland.


Sun. 3rd Aug. at Killarney: Dick Fitzgerald’s 1-3; Mid-Kerry 2-2.

Mid-Kerry, being heavier and taller, won an exciting game, even if it was not brilliant.

Mid-Kerry panel: John Linehan (Keel), Paddy Clifford (Caragh Bridge), Barney Woods (Milltown), Peter O Sullivan, Patsy Hurley (Milltown), J. McCarthy, Pat (P.P.) Galvin (Laune Rangers), Tom Carey (Milltown), Alo Dowling (do.), Josie Mangan (Laune Rangers), Jerry Griffin (Castlemaine), Bendy O Dwyer (Laune Rangers), M. O Brien, Mícheál Doherty (Glenbeigh), Danny Keane (Milltown), Tony Lambe (Callanfersy), John O Sullivan (Firies), Christy Fell (do.), Dermot Carey (Milltown), Paddy Moriarty (Laune Rangers), J. Keating (Milltown).


Semi-final on Sun, 23rd Nov. at Castlemaine: Tralee 5-4; Mid-Kerry 0-3.

Killorglin Geraldine Rangers’ panel: Sean O Reilly (Laune Rangers), Barney Woods, Paddy Clifford, Pat  Galvin, J. McCarthy, Paddy (Rua) O Sullivan (Laune Rangers), Patsy Hurley, Christy Fell, Bendy O Dwyer, Allo Dowling, Tom Carey, Jerry Griffin, John O Sullivan (Firies), Josie Mangan, Tony Lambe, Peadar Teahan (Langford Street), Edmond O Dwyer (Annadale Road), Danny Keane, Sean Foley (Dungeel), Michael  Murphy.


The Co. Final was not played until 25th May 1948 at Cahersiveen and Iveragh drew with Tralee on the score of 3-5 to 0-14. Johnny Moriarty, Laune Rangers, refereed. The replay took place in Tralee on Sun. 6th June and Tralee won on the score of 2-7 to 2-4.


Munster/All-Ireland Senior Football Championship


Sun. 6th July at Limerick: Kerry 9-10; Clare 0-4.

Teddy O Connor played at midfield and Gerald Teahan was a substitute.


Munster Final on Sun. 27th July at Cork: Cork 2-6; Kerry 3-8.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe, Dinny Lyne (capt.), Joe Keohane, Paddy Bawn Brosnan, Jackie Lyne, Bill Casey, Eddie Walsh, Teddy O Connor, Paddy Kennedy, Gerald O Sullivan, William O Donnell, Batt Garvey, Dan Kavanagh, Tom Gega O Connor, Frank O Keeffe. Subs: Eddie Dowling for D. Kavanagh, Tim Brosnan for B. Casey, Gerald Teahan.


All-Ireland Semi-final on Sun. 10th Aug. at Croke Park: Kerry 1-11; Meath 0-5.


Final on Sun. 14th Sept. at the Polo Grounds, New York: Cavan 2-11; Kerry 2-7.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe, Denny Lyne (capt.), Joe Keohane, Paddy Bawn Brosnan, Jackie Lyne, Bill Casey, Eddie Walsh, Teddy O Connor, Eddie Dowling (1-0), Teddy O Sullivan, Dan Kavanagh, Batt Garvey (1-0), Frank O Keeffe, Tom Gega O Connor (0-6), Paddy Kennedy (0-1). Subs: Willie Bruddy O Donnell for E. Dowling, Mick Finucane for E. Walsh, Tim Brosnan for Bruddy O Donnell, Gerald Teahan for P. Kennedy.

Cavan: V. Gannon, W. Doonan, Brian O Reilly, P. Smith, John Wilson, John Joe O Reilly, Simon Deignan, F. Brady, PJ Duke, A. Tighe, Mick Higgins, C. McDyer, J. Stafford, Peter Donohoe, Tom P. O Reilly.


Munster/All-Ireland Minor Football Championship


There was a trial game on Wed. 18th June in the Austin Stack Park. Jerry Griffin, Castlemaine Tom Carey, Milltown and Paddy Clifford, Caragh Bridge were selected for a further trial.


Semi-final on Sun. 6th July at Limerick: Kerry 3-12; Clare 0-2.

Paddy Clifford played at right fullback.


Final on Sun. 27th July at Cork: Cork 1-3; Kerry 0-7.

Paddy Clifford played at right fullback. Jerry Griffin and Tom Carey were substitutes.


All-Ireland Semi-final on Sun. 24th Aug. at Castlebar: Mayo 0-7; Kerry 1-1.

Paddy Clifford retained his right fullback place and both Jerry Griffin and Tom Carey were substitutes.


National Football League 1947/48


Sun. 9th Nov. at Tralee: Kerry 1-7; Mayo 1-7.

Teddy O Connor played at right halfback.


Sun. 7th Dec. at Galway: Galway 1-5; Kerry 3-6.

Teddy O Connor played at right halfback.


Administration/ Miscellany


Dan O Rourke, Ros Comáin, was Uachtarán CLG.


Henry O Mahony, Corcaigh, was elected Chairman of the Munster Council, Sean McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


Co. Convention was held on Sun. 26th Jan. at Castleisland. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Din Joe Baily, Vice-Chairmen – Chairmen of District Boards, Dan Spring and Rev. E. Stack C.C., Joint Secretaries – Micheál Ó Ruairc and Jerry Myles, Joint Treasurers – Con Clifford and John Moran, Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan, Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc.


The East-Kerry Annual Convention was held on Sun. 12th Jan. In his report, the secretary, Jack O Shea, said that a matter for concern was the position of the games in Killorglin and he thought that the Board should do everything possible to get the Laune Rangers back again. Following a discussion on the position in Killorglin, it was decided to arrange a meeting with leading Gaels in that area with a view to the revival of the games there.


On Sat. 25th Jan., the following appeared in the Killorglin Notes in the Kerryman: “Killorglin Gaels have noted with interest the remarks of the East-Kerry Board meeting, at which they regretted the deterioration in Gaelic football in Killorglin and suggested a ‘commission’ to revive it here. Surely, Killarney has not already forgotten the promising heights to which Gaelic football had risen here little more than a year ago. The East-Kerry Board did not help to forward the Laune Rangers Club. The opinion of many of the old staunch Gaels here, on the latest move of the East-Kerry Board, is that it would be but adding insult to injury.”


At the end of Feb, ‘Echoes from East-Kerry’, in the Kerryman wrote, “Methinks there a rift in the East-Kerry football lute. Rumbles have come from the West that is not a very happy portent for things on this side, noises that are discordant and disappointing. Something is stirring around the Laune and Maine and, if I mistake not, a split is in the offing. We had expected that the East-Kerry table would have been set by now. It isn’t even half prepared. A couple of spanners have been forged to upset the works. I don’t like it.       When the East-Kerry Board met the other night to prepare the year’s programme, they didn’t get very far. The list of affiliations told the story. The men from the West had not come up to scratch. It was thought that Laune Rangers would be back again to the fold. That grand old name didn’t appear. Also absent from the roll-call was Castlemaine and a few other less prominent clubs. The abstentions were significant. We had heard a whisper that these clubs were withdrawing from the activities of the Divisional Board, running a league of their own and in the process having a shot at the Co. Championship. That’s their own affair, of course, but in it I see the thwarting of Killarney’s laudable efforts to win the county title. Ambition is a good thing, especially when it is sprayed with hope and confidence, but I think that the action of our western clubs is going to prove fruitless to them and harmful to East-Kerry in the long run.”


At the Co. Board meeting on Sat. 1st March, Killorglin was given to following areas to operate within for the selection of its Co. Championship: Killorglin, Castlemaine, Keel, Milltown, Firies, Ballyhar and Beaufort.


In the Kerryman of 8th March, P.F. wrote, “The return of Killorglin Laune Rangers to the Co. Championship will be warmly welcomed. Killorglin will always have an honoured name in the GAA in Kerry and to the first Laune Rangers goes the credit of inspiring Kerrymen of later generations to great deeds on the football field. It was extraordinary that a Laune Rangers team should be affiliated with the London Co. Board and none at home with the Kerry Co. Board.

The new Rangers may not set the Laune on fire at the outset. But the town has a proud football tradition and there is ample material in the district, which may yet recover its former prestige. Some year ago, Killorglin ran a local league. This should be revived and extended. The men in charge know their job and the Gaels of the county wish them well.”


On 6th March, the Mid-Kerry Board was formed in Castlemaine. Eight clubs were represented: Keel, Castlemaine, Firies, Milltown, Farranfore, Laune Rangers, Glenbeigh and Beaufort. The following officers and committee were elected:

President – Very Rev. C. Moriarty P.P. (Castlemaine).

Vice-Presidents – Very Rev. D. Finucane P.P., Very Rev. C. O Leary P.P., Very Rev. J. Casey P.P., Very Rev. M. O Connor P.P., Very Rev. Tom Jones P.P., Rev. Michael Casey C.C., Rev. Jeremiah Murphy C.C., Rev. D. Murphy C.C., Rev. M. Galvin C.C., Rev. M. Sheehan C.C., Rev. J. O Brien C.C., Rev. J. Quane C.C., Dr. P. J. O Driscoll, Paddy Foley, P. Breen, Mike Joy, J. Burke, Mick Teahan, Jerry Quill N.T., Pete Coughlan N.T., William Sheehan.

Chairman – William Brick (Firies)

Vice-Chairman – Tom Woods (Milltown)

Secretary – John T. O Riordan (Laune Rangers)

Assistant Secretary – Tom Mangan (Castlemaine)

Treasurers – Dan Mulvihill (Castlemaine) and Martin Knightley (Castlemaine)

Committee – Each team area to nominate three delegates.

Selection Committee – John Joe Falvey, Dan Mulvihill, J. Sheehan, William O Shea, P. Breen, the Chairman and Secretary.


The Laune Rangers Football Club was reformed in London in early March by Michael Hurley, Cahersiveen. The club had been in existence for some years before the war. Most of the team comprised Kerry men.


Teddy O Connor continued to play with Dick Fitzgerald’s in Killarney.


Sun. 24th Aug. at Tralee, Kerry beat Galway in the All-Ireland Junior Football Semi-final by 5-8 to 1-8. Brendan Kelliher, Castlemaine played at right half-forward and Benny O Sullivan, Castlemaine was fullback. In the final on Sun. 14th Sept. at Croke Park, Meath won by 1-12 to 3-3.


Kevin Ryle was ordained to the priesthood for the diocese of Clonfert on 22nd June.


On Mon. 8th Sept. both Kerry and Cavan teams travelled to New York for the All-Ireland Final in a TWA Skymaster out of Shannon Airport.


London GAA Club, Naomh Mhuire, toured Kerry during the summer. In their ranks was John Lyne, Quaybawn, who normally played at wing back.


In the Killorglin notes of the Kerryman of mid-June, the following was written, “The eclipse of the revised and extended club (from the Co. Championship) does not dishearten their supporters for, in their first year’s representation, little more than a praiseworthy effort was to be expected. One thing, however, has been driven home to the Killorglin Gaels. If they wish to see Killorglin the energetic core of this new district, they will have to take steps to provide suitable playing and practice grounds within a convenient distance of the town. Though the difficulty of procuring a suitable field is great, nevertheless a committee so energetic as to reorganise so successfully the football of the whole district, should not find this final obstacle insurmountable.”


In mid-Nov. the writer returned to this topic, “The intentions of the Mid-Kerry GAA Club are to make an all-out effort to rebuild a senior team for the coming championship. Just as important and pressing to them, however, is the necessity of providing suitable playing pitches for games and practice. Killorglin, in this respect, is easily the worst off and one must indeed deplore the conditions that force the local youth to play their own entertaining little matches in a place as unsuitable as the Fair Field.

On all sides condemnation of present-day youth can be heard. They are more interested in the dancehall and the cinema than in games and athletics. How can we blame this tendency of youth, when no provision is made for them to indulge in manly exercises? Those children, who today so joyfully and wholeheartedly play football on the stony and muddy Fair Field, will be the young men of tomorrow who, for lack of suitable playing field, will turn to other ways of amusement. The fault does not rest with the young generation but with the old, in whose hands the remedy lies.”


Mick ‘Butter’ Foley’s Field at Castleconway was ploughed in the autumn. Timmy Conway, Bansha, was employed to plough the field, using Floss McCrohan’s horses. The Laune Rangers Club had to seek playing facilities elsewhere – Moroney’s Field, Reen.


Rathmore beat Castleisland in the semi-final of the Co. Intermediate Football Championship. However they were subsequently suspended for playing players from Macroom illegally. Castlegregory, being in the final, were awarded the Co. Intermediate Football Championship.


Iveragh and Tralee drew in the Co. Minor Football final on Sun. 7th Dec. The replay took place in Cahersiveen on Sun. 25th May 1948 and the teams ended level again, Iveragh 3-5, Tralee 0-14. The referee was Johnny Moriarty, Laune Rangers. The second replay took place in Tralee on Sun. 5th June and Tralee won on the score of 2-7 to 2-4.


Co. Senior Football Championship Semi-final replay in Tralee: John Mitchels 1-11; Legion 1-8.

Ref: Johnny Moriarty (Laune Rangers).


The Annual Ploughing Match was held on Mon. 20th Jan. at Ballykissane. The judge was Eugene McCarthy, Castleisland. The results were as follows:

Class 1: 1st B. Kissane, Ardfert, 2nd Michael Doyle, Meanus, 3rd John Joe Foran, Dromin, Killarney.

Class 2: 1st M. Collins, Killarney, 2nd Tim Francis Joy, Ardraw, 3rd Peter Hill, Beaufort.

Class 3: 1st William Doyle, Meanus, 2nd Daniel Joy, Ardraw, 3rd Denis O Leary, Listry and Pat Breen, Shanacloon.

Class 4: J. Slattery, Abbeydorney, 2nd P. W. Glover, Abbeydorney, 3rd James O Leary, Listry.


At the end of Aug. an American lady visitor handed to the committee of the Laune Pipers’ Band a substantial financial gift from the Kerrymen’s Association in New York. Attached to the gift were the names of Kerrymen, who had not seen their native land for many years but whose interest in things Irish was evidently as keen as ever. Among the signatures were John Farrell, Dingle, Patrick Murphy, Denny Murphy, Daniel Breen, all of Glencar, Frank O Shea, Connie O Donoghue, William O Donoghue, Dan Guerin and Jack Clifford, all of Killorglin, Jerry O Sullivan, Bob Myles, Patrick Clifford and Tom Courtney , all of Castlemaine.


58-year old Michael Riordan was promoted as chief of the San Francisco Police Department. He was born in Dooks, Killorglin, and emigrated from there to the States in 1907. In 1913 he joined the police force, took out a degree in law in 1921 and had made rapid promotion until he was made Captain at the age of 36 – the youngest in the police department’s history.


The Annual Convention of the Mid-Kerry Board was held on Sun. 25th Jan. 1948 at Castlemaine. The Secretary, John T. O Riordan, in his report, stated that, being a new Board, they did not expect wonders for their first year. They had entered three teams in the Co. Championships, Senior, Intermediate and Minor. Both Senior and Intermediate teams gave a good account of themselves and the Minors reached the semi-final, being beaten by a combined Tralee selection. They had supplied senior, junior and minor players for the Munster and All-Ireland Championships and hoped to do better in the coming year. A Senior and Minor League had been run and only two matches remained to be played (The finals). They looked forward to receiving full Board status from Co. Convention, with representation on the Co. Football Selection Committee.