Laune Rangers – 1948

 Mid-Kerry again reached the Co. Minor Football Semi-final, only to lose to Castleisland.

Kerry beat Cork in the Munster Senior Football Final but lost to Mayo in the All-Ireland Semi-final. Teddy O Connor, then with Dick Fitzgerald’s, was on the team and Derry Burke, then with Milltown, was a substitute.

Kerry beat Cork in the Munster Minor Football Final but lost to Dublin the All-Ireland Semi-final. Paddy Clifford, then with Glenbeigh, played at right fullback.

Munster beat Ulster in the Railway Cup Final. Teddy O Connor played at left halfback.

Mícheál Scanlon played at left halfback on the Dublin team that won the Leinster and All-Ireland Junior Football Championship Finals.

John T. O Riordan was Joint-Secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board.

*                   *                   *                    *                       *                      *                      *

The following were the officers of the Laune Rangers Club:

President – Very Rev, Father D. Finnucane P.P.

Chairman – Paddy Foley.

Hon. Secretary – John T. O Riordan.

Treasurer – Tadhg O Connor N.T.

Committee – Kevin Foley, Michael O Grady, Liam Foley, Tom O Leary, Johnny Moriarty, Paddy Mike Foley, Jack O Dwyer, Patrick McCrohan, Stevie Foley, Bobby Doyle, Kevin Cremins, P. Evans, Christy O Riordan, Mícheál O Mahony.


Co. Senior Football Championship

Ten teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship, Killarney, Kenmare, Mid-Kerry, Shannon Rangers, Castleisland, John Mitchel’s, Castlegregory, Austin Stack’s, Dingle, Kerins O Rahilly’s. That was the first time that the team from the area was known as Mid-Kerry. The Championship teams were grouped and Mid-Kerry, Kenmare, and Killarney made up Group A.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 2nd May at Kenmare: Kenmare 1-5; Mid-Kerry 1-5.

Brendan Kelliher gave the Kenmare supporters a severe shock when he slipped through for a goal in the opening minute. With Johnny Moriarty on the other wing, he was a source of danger all through the game. Two more points were scored in the first five minutes and it looked like they would swamp Kenmare. However, the locals were undaunted and, led by Tom Spillane, they were on level terms at halftime – 0-5 to 1-2.

Mid-way through the second half, Mid-Kerry had again pulled away to lead by three points. However, in a rousing finish, Kenmare banged in a goal and Mid-Kerry were hard pressed to hold a rejuvenated home side to a draw in an exciting finish. Derry Burke was in rare form at midfield and Gerald Teahan proved a tower of strength in defence. Benny O Sullivan brought off some great clearances. Best for Kenmare were Tom Spillane, Jerome Spillane, J. Daly, J. O Neill, Mick Galvin and the O Sullivan’s.

Mid-Kerry Panel: Paddy Clifford, Tom O Leary, Johnny Moriarty, Liam O Riordan, Brendan Kelliher, Derry Burke, Benny O Sullivan, Peter O Sullivan, Tom Evans, Mick Spring, Gerald Teahan, P. Cournane, Mikey O Connor, Brendan Kerrisk, Seamus Daly, Kevin Horgan, Brendan O Brien, Jimmy Flynn, J. Power, Brendan Cronin, Teddy O Sullivan, Garda Albert McDonagh.

Ref: Dan Ryan (Austin Stack’s).


Rd. 2 on Sun. 6th June at Moroney’s Field, Reen: Mid-Kerry beat Killarney.

That defeat of Killarney caused some surprise throughout the county but it had to be remembered that the game had little importance to Killarney, which had already qualified for the knock-out stages of the Championship. However, it was vital for Mid-Kerry to win in order to qualify.


Quarter-final on Sun. 20th June at Austin Stack Park: Shannon Rangers 4-4; Mid-Kerry 1-1.

The game, played as part of a double bill in delightful weather before an attendance of 5,000 spectators, failed to reach championship standard as there was too much between the sides. Best for Mid-Kerry in defence were Gerald Teahan, Benny O Sullivan and John Joe Sheehan, while Brendan Kelliher and Mick Spring were the best of the forwards.

Mid-Kerry: Liam O Riordan (Laune Rangers), Paddy Clifford (Caragh Bridge), Benny O Sullivan (Castlemaine), Tom O Leary (Laune Rangers), John Joe Sheehan (Farranfore), Gerald Teahan (Keel), Peter O Sullivan (Firies), Derry Burke (Milltown), Teddy O Sullivan (Castlemaine), Mikey O Connor (Keel), Brendan Kelliher (Castlemaine), T. Sheahan, Mick Spring (Keel), Johnny O Sullivan (Glenbeigh), P. Cournane (Keel).

Shannon Rangers: John Culhane, J. Leahy, Denis Dowling, Dick Walsh, S. Dillon, Eddie Dowling, Mick McElligott, Gus Cremins, S. Callaghan, Mick Finucane, Joe Shanahan, Sean Boland, Johnny Walsh, Pat Kissane, J. Ahern.


Dingle, captained by Tom Long, won the Co. Senior Football Championship Final on Sun. 12th Sept. at Austin Stack Park, Tralee at the expense of Shannon Rangers on the score of 2-10 to 0-5.


Co. Intermediate Football Championship


Seven teams entered for the Intermediate Championship, East-Kerry, West-Kerry, Mid-Kerry, Iveragh, North-Kerry, Tralee and Castleisland. It was played on a knockout system.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 13th June at Kilmego, Cahersiveen: Iveragh 1-7; Mid-Kerry 0-4.

Playing with the advantage of the wind, Iveragh did all the attacking in the first moiety and turned over with a comfortable interval lead. Mid-Kerry were expected to do big things on the change over but the Iveragh defence proved impregnable and, except during a few lively rallies in the last quarter by the Mid-Kerry men, the home side never in danger of defeat. Best for Iveragh were Denis Baily, Denis Ahern, Willie Musgrave, Eamonn O Neill, Francy O Connor and Michael Clifford (goalie). The most prominent for Mid-Kerry were Johnny O Sullivan (Milltown), Eugie Joy (Laune Rangers), Jimmy Flynn, M. O Shea, Kevin Horgan (Firies), Brendan Cronin and D. Murphy. Scorers for Iveragh were P. Lucey (1-0), John Curran (0-2), Mickie Joe Griffin (0-2), Eamonn O Neill (0-1), Paddy Murphy (0-1), Willie Musgrave (0-1). Scorers for Mid-Kerry were Kevin Horgan (0-3, frees), Brendan Cronin (0-1). Ref: C. Weir (Tralee).


Iveragh won the final on Sun. 10th Oct. at Cahersiveen at the expense of North-Kerry on the score of 3-4 to 2-5.


Mid-Kerry Senior Football League/Championship (Kennedy Cup)

Eight teams took part in the competition, Keel, Castlemaine, Milltown, Firies, Farranfore, Beaufort, Laune Rangers and Glenbeigh. There was very little reported action by the Laune Rangers and they failed to reach the semi-final stage of the competition.


Sun. 23rd May at Milltown: Keel 5-3; Laune Rangers 2-2. Ref: Liam O Connor (Milltown).


Final on Sun. 24th Oct. at Castlemaine: Keel 2-4; Firies 1-4.


Co. Minor Football Championship

Seven teams entered for the Co. Minor Championship, East-Kerry, West-Kerry, Mid-Kerry, Iveragh, North-Kerry, Tralee and Castleisland. The competition was played on a knockout system.


Semi-final on Sun. 15th Aug. in Austin Stack Park: Castleisland 1-5; Mid-Kerry 1-1.

Castleisland scorers in the first half were S. O Connor (1-1), D. Spillane (0-1), C. Cotter (0-1), C. Griffin (0-1), while Mid-Kerry’s B. O Sullivan scored a goal from a penalty. The halftime score was 1-4 to 1-0 in favour of the winners. Although favoured by breeze in the second half, Mid-Kerry could only add one point to their total.

In the Castlemaine Notes in the Kerry Champion in the week following this defeat, the following appeared, ‘Absentees, late arrivals and selectors taking too much for granted are advanced as causes in the non-success of the league this season. If teams must be fit and ready, officials, no less than players, must pull their weight in organisation to maintain it.’

Mid-Kerry: Marcus O Neill (goal) (Firies), Barney Woods (Milltown), Paddy Clifford (Caragh Bridge), Pat Galvin (Laune Rangers), Mick Galway (Currow), Paddy Moriarty (Laune Rangers), Patsy Hurley (Milltown), Alo Dowling (Milltown), J. Carey, Danny Keane (Milltown), James Lambe, Josie Mangan (Laune Rangers), B. O Sullivan, Mícheál Doherty (Glenbeigh), Michael O Connor. Sean O Reilly, Laune Rangers, was substitute goalkeeper.

Ref: G. Weir (John Mitchel’s).


Tralee beat Castleisland in the final on Sun. 10th Oct. at Austin Stack Park by 4-4 to 1-3. Johnny Moriarty, Laune Rangers, refereed the game.


Munster/All-Ireland Senior Football Championship


Semi-final on Sun. 4th July at Ballylongford: Kerry 6-6; Clare 1-8.

Derry Burke played at full-forward and Brendan Kelliher was a substitute.


Final on Sun. 25th July at Killarney: Kerry 2-9; Cork 2-6.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe, Dinny Lyne, Joe Keohane (capt.), Paddy Bawn Brosnan, Teddy O Connor, Jackie Lyne, Teddy O Sullivan, Tom Spillane, Eddie Dowling, Gerald O Sullivan, William O Donnell, Batt Garvey, Dan Kavanagh, Martin McCarthy, Tom Gega O Connor. Subs: Eddie Walsh, Derry Burke, Donie Murphy, Brendan Kelliher, Tom Moriarty and B. O Sullivan.


All-Ireland Semi-final on Sun. 28th Aug. at Croke Park: Mayo 0-13; Kerry 0-3.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe,  Denny Lyne, Joe Keohane (capt.), Paddy Bawn Brosnan, Eddie Dowling (0-1), Jackie Lyne, Teddy O Connor, Tom Spillane, Gus Cremins, Gerald O Sullivan, William O Donnell, Batt Garvey, Dan Kavanagh, Martin McCarthy, Tom Gega O Connor (0-2). Subs: Eddie Walsh, Teddy O Sullivan, Bill Casey, Derry Burke, T. Sheehy, Mick Finucane, Brendan Kelliher.


Munster/All-Ireland Minor Football Championship


Semi-final on Sun. 4th July at Ballylongford: Kerry 9-5; Clare 1-5.

Paddy Clifford played at right fullback.


Final on Sun. 25th July at Killarney: Kerry 3-4; Cork 1-5.

Kerry: T. Stack (goal), Paddy Clifford, S. Trant, M. Baily, D. O Sullivan, P. Colgan, Sean O Connor, John Dowling (capt.), J. Moriarty, Mick Brosnan, Jim Brosnan, J. C. Cooper, Jeremiah Dunne, J. Spillane, J. Conway. Subs: J. Foley, J. O Connor, Dick Millar, D. O Shea, M. Galvin, E. Kelly.


All-Ireland Semi-final on Sun. 28th Aug. at Croke Park: Dublin 2-7; Kerry 0-8.

Paddy Clifford played at right fullback.


Munster Junior Football Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 23rd May at Macroom: Cork 1-9; Kerry 1-8.

Derry Burke played at centre half-forward.


National Football League 1947/’48.


Play-off on Sun. 15th Feb at Croke Park: Kerry 3-6; Mayo 2-6

Teddy O Connor played at centre halfback.


Sun. 11th April at Sligo: Sligo 2-4; Kerry 3-7.

Teddy O Connor played at left halfback.


Semi-final on Sun. 9th May at Croke Park: Cavan 2-9; Kerry 2-7.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe, Dinny Lyne (capt.), Paddy Bawn Brosnan, J. F. O Sullivan, Mick Finucane, Bill Casey, Teddy O Sullivan, Tom Spillane, Gus Cremin, Teddy O Connor, Eddie Dowling, Batt Garvey, Jackie Lyne, Tom Gega O Connor, Johnny Walsh.


Railway Cup


Sun. 22nd Feb. at Tralee: Munster 3-5; Connacht 2-6.

Teddy O Connor played at right halfback.


Wed. 17th March at Croke Park: Munster 4-5; Ulster 2-6.

Teddy O Connor played at left halfback.


National Football League 1948/’49


Sun. 31st Oct. at Tralee: Kerry 3-7. Galway 1-11.

Kerry: P. Dennehy (Castleisland) goal, L. O Connor (Dingle), Benny O Sullivan (Castlemaine), Paddy Bawn Brosnan (Dingle), S. O Connor (Castleisland), Jackie Lyne (Killarney), Teddy O Connor (Killarney), Eddie Dowling Ballydonoghue), Tom Moriarty (Clonakilty), Teddy O Sullivan (Killarney), Gerald O Sullivan (Killarney), Batt Garvey (Geraldines), Tom Ashe (Dingle), Derry Burke (Milltown), D. Regan.


Sun. 21st Nov. at Castlebar: Mayo beat Kerry.

Teddy O Connor played at left halfback and Benny O Sullivan played at fullback.


Co. Senior Hurling Championship

As Laune Rangers did not have a hurling team, Kevin Cremins played with Killarney in the Co. Senior Hurling Championship

Killarney Senior Hurling team 1948

Killarney Senior Hurling team 1948
Front (l to r): Gus Manning, Frank Meaney, Denis O Brien, Derry Leahy, Noel Brosnan, Paddy Griffin, Tom Barrett.
Back: John Moriarty, Jack Morris, Maurice Galvin, Con O Donoghue, Dick Hannigan, Sgt. Kennelly, Johnny Keane, Michael Murphy, Kevin Cremins (Killorglin), Eugie Sweeney, John Mahony, Jim Morris.



Dan O Rourke, Ros Comáin, was Uachtarán CLG.


Henry O Mahony, Corcaigh, was Chairman of the Munster Council, Sean McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


Kerry Co. Convention was held on Sun. 31st Jan. in Kenmare. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Din Joe Baily; Vice-Chairman – Chairmen of the District Boards; Secretaries – Mícheál Ó Ruairc and Jerry Myles; Treasurers – Con. Clifford and Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan; Registrar – John Joe Rice; Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan, Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc. (Later in the year, Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan resigned the post of Treasurer and John Moran, Listowel, was reinstated).

Laune Rangers had two motions on the ‘clár’:

  1. ‘That Mid-Kerry Board be given full Board status and be given representation on the Football Selection Committee.’ The Laune Rangers delegate said that the present East-Kerry Board was too unwieldy and costly to run. They could run their own Board cheaper. Jack O Shea, Secretary of the East-Kerry Board, said that giving full Board status to Mid-Kerry would be detrimental to his Board. He proposed a direct negative to the motion and, on a show of hands, the part of the motion giving Mid-Kerry full Board status was carried.
  2. ‘That the districts of Listry, Farranfore and Ballyhar, being within the Mid-Kerry parish area, be allotted to the Mid-Kerry Board.’ There were objections to that from officials of the East-Kerry Board and the motion was withdrawn.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in Castlemaine on Sun. 24th Jan. 1948. (The Secretary’s Report is given at the end of 1947). The Financial Statement recorded that there was a balance of £22-9-10 on hands. The following officers were elected: President – Very Rev, C. Moriarty C.C; Vice-President – Dr. P. O Driscoll, Glenbeigh; Chairman – William Brick; Vice-Chairman – Tom Woods; Hon. Treasurers – Martin Knightley and Dan Mulvihill; Hon. Secretaries – John T. O Riordan and Tom Mangan. Selection Committee – Paddy Foley, J. Sheehan, Gerald Teahan, Dan Mulvihill, P. Breen, Chairman and Secretary.


On Sun. 14th March a very exciting football match between Faha and Dungeel took place at Ballymalis (in Tangney’s field). The result was a draw. So great was the enthusiasm of the rival teams and supporters that it was decided to play extra-time. The result was a win for the Faha boys by 1 goal 2 points. P. Grady, Listry, was referee for normal time. So biased was the referee, that his neighbour, Murt Broderick, having taken exception to the decisions of the referee, took charge of the Dungeel team for the second half and extra-time. There was disagreement at the end of normal time and Seamus Quirke, Listry, refereed the extra-time. Dungeel were ahead coming near the end of the game. Then disaster struck. Paudie Foley, the Dungeel goalie, thinking that the ball was going over the rope (which served as a crossbar) made no attempt to save the shot and the ball went under the rope for a goal. Faha were on the road to victory. Amongst the Dungeel players were Batty Foley (Dungeel), Paudie Foley (Dungeel), Denis Foley (Corbally), Tom Foley (Corbally), Den Mangan (Dromin), Sean Curran (Coolroe). Timmy Quirke was on the Faha team. The game was arranged between the young players themselves and the players from both sides cycled to the game.


The following appeared in the Killorglin Notes in the Kerryman of 20th March, ‘Another effort is being made to secure a suitable playing ground in proximity to the town. On Thursday night (18th Jan.) a few interested followers of football met at the CYMS Hall to discuss the possibility of obtaining a football and athletics field. As a result of the meeting, a deputation will examine the suitability of some few fields and discuss with their owners their renting. It is a good thing that some few are still interested in the general well-being of the youth of the town and district. It had been somewhat pathetic of late to see enthusiastic boys endeavouring to play football in grounds that would not make suitable pasturage for goats.’


PF, in the Kerryman on 27th March, wrote the following, ‘A move is afoot to provide a sports field in Killorglin. I presume the field would be known as the J.P. O Sullivan Park. The project would receive the warmest support of Kerrymen at hoe and abroad. It will need an energetic local committee to get the work underway but they should not lack outside assistance. Such a park would be the best memorial to the Laune Rangers and their captain. Want of a suitable field is an insurmountable obstacle to any club. Killorglin can never its old-time football prestige until it provides one. I am sure all Kerrymen would give generously to provide a fitting memorial to the Laune men who blazed the county’s football trail to Dublin, a trail, which Kerrymen of later days so successfully followed.’


Sun. 14th March, Dunloe Cup Semi-final: Cahersiveen CBS 5-3; Dingle CBS 1-7. Ref: Johnny Moriarty, Laune Rangers.


Mid-Kerry League on Sun. 23rd May at Milltown: Milltown 2-4; Castlemaine 4-5. Ref: Paddy Mike Foley (Laune Rangers).

Mid-Kerry League on Sun. 30th May at Beaufort: Beaufort v Glenbeigh. Ref: Johnny Moriarty (Laune Rangers).


On Mon. 5th Jan. Moss O Brien, Main Street, one of the last surviving members of the old Laune Rangers, died. The large funeral cortege, that escorted the remains to their last resting place at Dromavalla, bore testimony to the high esteem in which was held.

The death occurred on 29th July of Jimmy Doyle, one of the last surviving members of the old Laune Rangers at the residence of his daughter at Lower Bridge St. A large number of Laune Rangers’ players and officers, past and present, formed a guard of honour at his funeral.

At the beginning of Nov. the death took place of Dr. Pat J. O Driscoll, Glenbeigh, former Chairman of the East-Kerry Board and former Vice-President of Laune Rangers Club.


Mícheál Scanlon won a Leinster and All-Ireland Junior Football Championship with Dublin. In the Leinster Final, they beat Wexford, after a replay, by 6-3 to 2-4. In the Home Final, Dublin beat Armagh by 3-8 to 2-6 and they accounted for London in the final proper by 2-11 to 1-5. Mícheál Scanlon played at left halfback.


At the East-Kerry Board AGM on Sun. 19th Dec. 1948, the Secretary Jack O Shea, in his report, stated that, in his opinion, it would be in the interest of the Association and football in general if the Mid-Kerry and East-Kerry Boards could be brought together again. However, PF in the Kerryman in January 1949, took issue with that. He said that the East-Kerry Board had a much bigger area under its jurisdiction than any Board in the county. Surely, he said, if the Board was normally active, it would not need additional territory.


On Mon. 8th Feb. the Annual Ploughing Match was held at Dunmaniheen. The results were as follows:

Class 1 (Championship of South Kerry): 1st John Nelligan (Castleisland), 2nd John Murphy (Beaufort), 3rd Michael Doyle, Meanus.

Class 2: 1st Timothy Francis Joy, Ardraw; 2nd Noel Breen, Beaufort.

Class 3: 1st Denis O Leary, Listry; 2nd Davis Leane, Langford St.; 3rd – Broderick, Ballymalis.

Class 4 (youths): 1st Jimmy O Leary (Listry), 2nd Patrick Cronin (Ballyhar), 3rd Harry Collins (Aghadoe).

Class 5 (tractors): 1st Sean O Connor (Castleisland), 2nd W. Blennerhasset (Tralee), 3rd Frank Wharton (Dromin). The types of tractors in the competition were Fordson, Fordson Major, Ferguson, Allis Chalmers and Industrial Diesel.


For the general Election in Feb. the electorate of the South Kerry constituency was 35,732 and the valid pole was 26,166. Mrs. H. Crowley (FF), Jack Flynn (Independent Republican) and William Palmer (FG) were elected to represent the constituency. John A. Costello was elected Taoiseach on Wed. 18th Feb. thus ending 15 years of Fianna Fáil rule.


On Sun. 23rd May, the greyhound track opened for business at Laharn. Several trials were run without a hitch. The track itself had a length of 525 yards. The enclosed centre-field had a level pitch 220 yards by 90 yards, which was eminently suitable for important football and athletics fixtures.

The following advertisement appeared in the Kerryman of Sat. 12th June:




Trials at all Times.

WEEK DAYS, from 9 am. SUNDAYS, from 2pm till dusk.



Telephone Killorglin 9.


In June, the ‘Libelle’ was chartered by Southern Fuel Distributors (Timothy Chub O Connor) to bring a large cargo of coal from Liverpool to Ballykissane Pier.


On Tues. 29th June, the Schools’ Sports organised by Milltown took place in brilliant sunshine. The results were as follows:

100 yards (boys under 12): 1st James Woods (Milltown), 2nd John Mulvihill (Killorglin).

100 yards (boys over 12): 1st Joe Clifford (Faha), 2nd Brendan Gill (Killorglin).

100 yards (girls): 1st Monica Dowling (Milltown), 2nd Mary O Sullivan (Faha).

220 yards (boys under 12): 1st D. Greaney (Faha), 2nd Tom Neville (Faha) and J.J. Myles (Castledrum).

220 yards (boys over 12): 1st Tadhgie O Reilly (Killorglin), 2nd Joe Clifford (Faha).

220 yards (girls): 1st Hannah Counihan (Faha), 2nd Ciss Mangan (Faha).

Relay Race: 1st Killorglin School Team.



On Tues. 21st Sept. at AGM of the Coursing Committee was held in the CYMS Hall. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Gerald Foley, Secretary – Sonny Champ, Treasurer – Owen O Grady. Committee – W. Joy, John Joe Falvey, James Curtin, C. McGillycuddy and J. Moriarty.


The Kerry Co. Council Elections were held on 6th Oct. The following six councillors were elected from the Killorglin electoral area: Jack Flynn (Independent Republican), Denis Keating (FF), James Devane (FG), William Langford (Clann na Poblachta), James O Regan (FF) and Timothy O Connor (Independent). John O Connor, Clann na Poblachta, was elected Chairman of the Co. Council.


At 11.35 am on Tues. 21st Dec. the President, Sean T. O Kelly signed into law the Republic of Ireland Bill.