Laune Rangers – 1949

 Munster beat Ulster in the Railway Cup Final. Teddy O Connor, then with Dick Fitzgerald’s, played at right halfback and won his second Railway Cup medal.

The death occurred on Thurs. 6th Jan. of William (Bill) O Brien. He had been the first Secretary of Laune Rangers Club and had been a tower of strength for the club over many years.

*               *               *                *                  *                  *                    *                     *

Paddy Foley was Chairman of the Laune Rangers Club and Bobby Doyle was elected Secretary.


Co. Senior Football Championship


Eleven teams took part in the Co. Senior Football Championship, Castlegregory, Kerins O Rahillys, Dingle, Austin Stack’s, Shannon Rangers, Killarney, Castleisland, John Mitchel’s, Kenmare, Iveragh and Mid-Kerry. The teams were put into three groups, the latter three in Group A.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 22nd May at Castlemaine: Mid-Kerry 1-6; Iveragh 2-6.

Despite difficult conditions caused by drizzling rain, the game was keenly contested and at no stage did more than three points separate the teams. Denis Baily was outstanding for Iveragh, while Batt Galvin (fullback), the O Neills, Curran, J. P. Sullivan and Keane were prominent. For Mid-Kerry, Brendan Kelliher, Kevin Murphy, Benny O Sullivan, Johnny O Sullivan, Eugie Joy and Brendan O Brien were most prominent. Both goalies were sound. Iveragh showed better training and teamwork and were deserving winners. Gerald Teahan was injured and unable to play.

Mid-Kerry: Kevin Cremin, Paddy Clifford, Benny O Sullivan, Johnny O Sullivan, Brendan O Brien, Eugie Joy, Michael Sayers, Jerry Mick Foley, Sugrue, Donal Marcus O Neill, Derry Burke, Paddy Mike Foley, Brendan Kelliher, Kevin Murphy, J. Sayers.

Iveragh: Donie O Connor, Seamus O Connor (St. Mary’s), Batt Galvin (Derrynane), J. P. O Sullivan (Renard), Denis Baily (Renard), Paddy Reidy, Dan Barry (St. Mary’s), Eamonn O Neill (Renard), Paddy Murphy (St. Mary’s), Johnny Sugrue (St. John’s), Mickey Joe Griffin (St. Mary’s), Ted O Neill (Renard), P. J. Sullivan (Renard), Maurice Keane, Maurice Curran (Ballinskelligs).

Ref: Tom Lynch (Listry).


Rd. 2 on Sun. 12th June at Kenmare: Kenmare 1-8; Mid-Kerry 1-5.

A thrilling last quarter rally by Kenmare made amends for the indifferent display early on and gave them s deserved victory. Five points in arrears entering the closing stages, the local team staged an all-out recovery and, led by Tom Spillane, who gave an outstanding display, they swept though the Mid-Kerry defence for Galvin and Heffernan to raise vital flags to pull down the lead and put Kenmare well ahead at the final whistle.

The match was played in ideal weather conditions before a good crowd and there was plenty of excitement, especially in the closing stages when Mid-Kerry fought tooth and nail to retain their place in the championship. In the opening stages, exchanges were in favour of Mid-Kerry when Derry Burke and Moriarty led raids on the local lines that brought early scores. The visitors were well worth their halftime lead of four points to two.

Mid-Kerry again started well and Brendan Kelliher and Derry Burke combined to raise the green flag. Further attacks were well held by Micksie Palmer and Daly and when Kenmare broke away, Galvin pointed. A further point by Mid-Kerry left Kenmare with a big leeway to make up entering the last quarter. A fast attack along the right wing left Galvin in possession and he passed to Spillane, who placed Hefferman for a good goal and the tide had turned in favour of the locals. Fast points by Galvin and Spillane put Kenmare ahead for a deserved win.

Ref: Danny O Sullivan (Listry).


In the Co. Final on Sun. 13th Nov. at Tralee, Killarney, captained by Tim Healy, beat John Mitchel’s by 2-7 to 2-3. Teddy O Connor played at midfield for Killarney. Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan trained the team.


Co. Intermediate Football Championship

Seven teams entered for the Intermediate Championship, which was played on a knock-out basis, East-Kerry, West-Kerry, Tralee, Castleisland, Mid-Kerry, North-Kerry and Kenmare.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 26th June at Castleisland: Castleisland 0-2; Mid-Kerry 2-4.


Rd. 2 on sun. 4th Sept. at Killarney: Kenmare 2-8; Mid-Kerry 0-3.

Kenmare always had the upper hand and were best served by W. Moriarty, who scored 2 goals and a point. The other scorers were David O Connor (0-2), R. O Donoghue (0-2), Pat O Sullivan (0-2) and Coffey (0-1). For Mid-Kerry P. Cournane scored 0-2 and Larry McKenna 0-1. Although Mid-Kerry opened the scoring, they soon surrendered to the onslaughts of the Kenmare men.


In the Co. Final on Sun. 16th Oct. at Tralee, North-Kerry beat Kenmare by 1-11 to 1-4.


Mid-Kerry Senior Football League/Championship

Six teams took part, Keel, Firies, Laune Rangers, Glenbeigh, Milltown and Castlemaine.


Sun. 27th March at Keel: Keel 2-6; Laune Rangers 2-1.

The game’s opening scores went to the credit of Keel per B. O Brien. Killorglin, however, settled down in improved fashion to play, what seemed, a winning game. Johnny Moriarty and Kevin Foley scored a goal each and Kevin Murphy added a point. Keel made their recovery in the last quarter, having goals in quick succession from Sheehan and Cournane and further points by Mick Spring and Connor. Due to the late start (the game commenced one hour after the scheduled time), a minor game had to be postponed. Others to play in that game for Laune Rangers were Paddy Mike Foley, Eugie Joy and Tom O Leary. Josie Mangan and Pat (P.P.) Galvin started the game and when some more of the older players arrived, they were replaced.

The Killorglin Notes in the Kerryman on the following week gave this report, “In spite of the complete dearth of a playing pitch, practice pitch, equipment or transport, the local team fielded against Keel and, even though they returned home defeated, they showed that the Gaelic spirit is not yet dead. They set a precedent by travelling by ‘land, sea and air’ as one of them aptly remarked. The first leg of the journey was from Killorglin to Callanfercy Quay by diesel. Then, the crossing of the River Maine, by the only small ferryboat available, necessitated eight separate trips and, finally, in order to get to the playing field on time, the remaining two miles had to be sprinted. As one player remarked, ‘We flew that part of the journey,”

Ref: Brendan Kelliher (Castlemaine).


Sun. 1st May at Castlemaine: Laune Rangers 2-2; Firies 1-4.

In the second half, Murt Kelly played in goals for Laune Rangers.


Sun. 25th Sept. at Castlemaine: Milltown 0-6; Laune Rangers 0-4.


The final was not played until July 1950. Glenbeigh beat Milltown by 3-1 to 1-2 at Castlemaine.

Murt Kelly (Lismacfinnane)

Murt Kelly (Lismacfinnane)
He won 4 All-Ireland Senior Football Championships with Kerry – 1937, 1939, 1940 & 1941.
He won 4 Co. Senior Football titles in Dublin – 1932 (Erin’s Hopes), 1940, ’41 & ’43 (Geraldines).
He played with Laune Rangers in 1929 and 1949 (goals).

Senior Football Challenge Games


Sun. 8th May at Castlemaine: Mid-Kerry 4-3; John Mitchel’s 1-2.

A good attendance saw a lively game in which Mid-Kerry had an unexpected win over the Tralee men. The home side, playing against sun and wind, pressed in the opening stages without being noticeably effective against a good defence. Frees went wide, one hitting the upright. A few points were followed by a goal by Courtney and the home side were comfortably ahead at the interval. Eddie Dunne scored a goal for the visitors and that was thought to herald a recovery. However, goals by Brendan Kelliher, one from a penalty, and one from Paddy Mike Foley sealed the issue. Best for Mid-Kerry were Brendan Kelliher, Benny O Sullivan, Gerald Teahan, Donal O Neill and Sugrue. Ref: Murt Kelly.


Co. Minor Football Championship

Eight teams took part in the Minor Championship, which was played on a knock-out basis, Iveragh, Mid-Kerry, Shannon Rangers, Castleisland, Kerins O Rahilly’s, Austin Stack’s, John Mitchel’s and Dingle.


Sun. 24th April at Cahersiveen: Iveragh 4-1; Mid-Kerry 0-3.

A strong diagonal wind, whipped to gale force at times by driving showers, made things very unpleasant for the players and spectators and seriously affected the standard of football.

The Iveragh boys, much the heavier team, adapted themselves the better to the prevailing conditions and, after a shaky start, gained the mastery in the second moiety to run out deserving winners. Mid-Kerry led by three points to nil at halftime. Feature of the game was the display of Jerome O Shea at fullback. Apart from scoring Mid-Kerry’s three points, Donal Marcus O Neill gave a great all-round display for the losers, who were also very well served by Mick Galway, T. Kelliher, D. Carey, P. Teahan and J. Sullivan. Sean O Reilly played at corner-back.


Munster Senior Football Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 19th June at Ennis: Clare 3-6; Kerry 1-8.

That was a sensational result. It was Clare’s first win over Kerry in the Munster Senior Championship.

Kerry: Paddy Dennehy, Mick Finucane, Jas. Murphy, Teddy O Connor, Tim Healy, Tom Moriarty, Jim Brosnan, Tom Spillane, Bill Casey, Teddy O Sullivan, Gerald O Sullivan, Jim Brosnan, Batt Garvey, Tom Ashe, William O Donnell. Of the selected fifteen, Dinny Lyne, Jackie Lyne, John Joe Sheehan and Martin McCarthy failed to show up.


National Football League 1949/’50.


Sun. 9th Oct. at Tralee: Kerry; Mayo

Teddy O Connor played at midfield.

Sun. 27th Nov. at Ennis: Clare 1-5; Kerry 5-9.

Teddy O Connor played at right fullback.


Football Railway Cup


Sun. 20th Feb. at Ballinasloe: Munster 4-7; Connacht 1-11.

Teddy O Connor played at right fullback.


Final on Sun. 20th March at Croke Park; Munster 4-9; Leinster 1-4.

Teddy O Connor played at right fullback.




Michael Kehoe, Loch Gorman, was elected Uachtarán CLG.


Henry O Mahony, Corcaigh, was Chairman of the Munster Council, Seán McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


The Annual Convention of the Kerry Co. Board was held in the CBS, Cahersiveen on Sun. 30th Jan. 1949. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Din. Joe Baily; Vice-Chairmen – Chairmen of the District Boards; Hon. Treasurers – Con. Clifford and John Moran; Representatives on Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan; Representative on Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in Milltown on Sun. 9th January 1949. The Secretary, in his report, stated that the Board had a satisfactory year on the playing fields. The following officers were elected: President – Very Rev. C. Moriarty P.P; Vice-President – Rev. J. Quane C.C; Chairman – Rev. P O Doherty; Vice-Chairman – William Brick; Secretaries – Tom Mangan and Tom Woods; Treasurers – Martin Knightley and Dan Mulvihill; Co. Board representatives – Martin Knightley and Tom Woods; Representative of the Co. Selection Committee – Murt Kelly.

On the proposition of the Chairman, Rev. P. O Doherty, it was decided to impose a fine of 10/-, to be collected on the field, on any team thirty minutes late for the start of a game. On the proposition of J. O Mahony, seconded by Paddy Foley, it was agreed to charge 6d entrance fee for single games, 1/- for double fixtures and to give 1/- per mile for the hire of cars for referees. A motion from Tom Woods compelling senior clubs to affiliate minor teams was agreed. On the proposition of Paddy Foley, seconded by Martin Knightley, it was agreed that each club would have a representative on the Board. The following clubs affiliated for 1949 – Glenbeigh, Killorglin, Beaufort, Milltown, Castlemaine, Firies and Farranfore.


In the Killorglin Notes in the Kerryman of 2nd April, the correspondent wrote, ‘One must regret that more outlets are not available for the desires of the youth to play Gaelic games. Gaelic football, or for that matter, any other kind of football, is at an all-time low ebb due, not to want of enthusiasm in the youth, but in complete lack of interest by the older generation, who should give the moral and physical encouragement.


Mid-Kerry League/Championship on Sun. 1st May at Castlemaine: Milltown 0-1; Keel 0-2.

Ref: Murt Kelly (Killorglin).


Mid-Kerry League/Championship on Sun. 1st May at Firies: Firies 0-3; Glenbeigh 1-4.

Glenbeigh: Andy O Sullivan (goals), Paddy Clifford (capt.), C. O Connor, Matt Griffin, Denny Sheahan, D. Brown, D. O Sullivan, P. Lyne, Willie Sweeney, John Sheehan, Jeremiah Coughlan, Mick Brennan, D. Coffey, John O Donnell, Gerald Riordan.


At the AGM of the Glenbeigh GAA Club at the end of January, it was decided to organise a Parish League with teams from Glencar, Caragh Lake, Caragh Bridge and Ballinakilla competing for a trophy to be known as the Dr. O Driscoll Memorial Trophy.


On Thurs. 6th Jan. the death took place of William (Bill) O Brien at an advanced age. A man of many parts, his career was as eventful as it was long. A sterling Nationalist, a foremost figure in the ranks of the National Land League, an energetic and enthusiastic worker in the movement for the restoration of our native tongue, he was also a fluent and vigorous public speaker and, in his day, a man of no mean athletic ability. With his brother, Moss O Brien, he took a leading part in the early development of the Gaelic games and pastimes and the pair was for many years a tower of strength in the Laune Rangers. He was the first Secretary of the Laune Rangers Club.


The death took place in April, after an accident in London, of Tim Teahan, Reen. He had played extensively with the Laune Rangers in the ‘30’s and had captained the team in 1943.


Amongst the games refereed by Johnny Moriarty, Laune Rangers, were.

* Co. Senior Football championship on Sun. 24th April at Killarney: Castleisland 3-4; John Mitchel’s 1-5.

Due to objections, the game had to be replayed later with a similar result.

Co. Senior Football Championship on Sun. 3rd July at Killarney: Killarney 1-5; Castleisland 0-3.

Co. Senior Football Championship on Sun. 21st Aug. at Cahersiveen: Iveragh 2-1; Kerins O Rahilly’s 2-4.

Co. Senior Football Championship on Sun. 4th Sept. at Killorglin: Dingle 0-6; Kenmare 1-1.


* The following was the referee’s report on the game: ‘Both teams are to be complimented for the manner in which the game was played. There were a few isolated instances when players engaged in football of a robust nature with a tendency to roughness. I am satisfied, however, that this type of football would not be experienced were it not for the conduct of a certain undesirable element present amongst the spectators, who continually incited the players to indulge in these tactics. Weather conditions prevailing during the hour and the sodden and most uneven surface of the pitch also hampered the players considerably. To referee the game in a satisfactory manner was absolutely impossible. Over enthusiastic spectators kept moving on to the pitch from both sidelines, while others crowded around both goals and, I am sorry to say, my umpires and linesmen, all of whom were neutral, were subjected to repeated intimidation. The result was, often during the game, play had to be stopped to clear the goal and sidelines. My efforts to do so were indeed futile and I had to painfully listen to abuse from these spectators, whose language left a lot to be desired. However, in spite of this, I was able to continue the game. Just on full-time, a tussle for possession between a player from both sides took place close to what appeared to be the sideline and, in the heat of the moment, the two players struck each other. Several spectators, at this stage, rushed on to the pitch and a free-for-all fight was witnessed. As the full-time whistle was being blown, the fight just referred to was still on and continued for several minutes after.’


On Sun. 2nd Oct. at New Eltham, London, Christy O Riordan scored 2 points for Naomh Mhuire in their 2-8 to 1-6 win over St. Senan’s in the Tipperary Cup final. On Sun. 30th Oct. at the same venue, Naomh Mhuire defeated the holders, St. Joseph’s by 2-4 to 1-2, to win the their first Co. Senior Championship. Christy O Riordan was introduced as a substitute and scored a valuable goal. On Sun. 18th Dec. Christy featured on the Naomh Mhuire Junior team that beat St. Senan’s by 4-5 to 0-1 to reach the final of the Junior League.


On Monday 30th Jan. Father Michael Casey C.C., Killorglin died suddenly on his was into Killarney Golf Course. He had played with Dr. Croke’s in his youth and had been an active member of Laune Rangers Club since his arrival in Killorglin, including being Chairman in 1945. No doubt, he was responsible for the Killorglin players throwing in their lot with the Dick Fitzgerald’s when Killorglin itself did not have a senior team in the Co. Championship.


The Kerry minors won the Munster Championship but lost to Armagh in the All-Ireland Final.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 19th June at Ennis: Clare             ; Kerry 1-10.

Kerry: Johnny Foley (Kerins O Rahillys), T. Keane, John Colgan (Austin Stack’s), Jerome O Shea (Cahersiveen), Mícheál Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), J. Moriarty (Austin Stack’s) capt, Mick Galway (Currow), Sean Murphy (Castlegregory), Denis Falvey (Kerins O Rahillys), Paudie Sheehy (John Mitchels) 0-6, Mick Brosnan (Moyvane) 1-3, B. Markey (Castleisland) 0-1, Bobby Buckley (Shannon Rangers), Paddy O Donnell (Austin Stack’s), Michael Galvin (Sneem).

Final on Sun. 24th July at Limerick: Kerry 0-7; Cork 0-5.

Kerry: Johnny Foley, Jerome O Shea, John Colgan, P. O Sullivan (Killarney), Mícheál Kerins, J. Moriarty, L. McMonagle (Killarney), Sean Murphy, Denis Falvey, Bobby Millar (Austin Stack’s), Mick Brosnan (Moyvane), Paudie Sheehy, Michael Galvin, Ber O Connor (Cahersiveen), Paddy O Donnell. Subs: Pat Costello (Kerins O Rahillys), Mick Galway (Currow), John O Leary (Killarney), Tom Lawlor (K. O Rahillys), Colm Kennelly (Ballylongford), B. Markey.

Semi-final on Sun. 27th Aug. at Tralee: Kerry 1-9; Dublin 0-3

Final in Croke Park: Armagh 1-7; Kerry 1-5.


Kerry won the All-Ireland Junior Football Championship final by defeating Lanchashire in Croke Park on 22nd Oct.

Kerry: Liam Fitzgerald (Ardfert), John ‘Walla’ O Connor (K. O Rahillys), Tim Flynn (Castlegregory), Denis Dowling (Shannon Rangers), Michael Lynch (John Mitchels), Paddy ‘Batt’ Shanahan (Currow), Michael McElligott (Shannon Rangers), Sean Murphy (Camp), John Dowling (Kerins O Rahillys), Pat Murphy (Castlegregory), Phil McCarthy (K. O Rahillys), JC Cooper (Killarney), Tom Long (Dingle) capt., MJ Palmer (Kenmare), James ‘Fox’ Kennedy (Castlegregory). Subs: Joe Flaherty (Austin Stacks), Michael D. Hanafin (Castleisland), Tom Hennessy (Ballydonoghue), Benny O Sullivan (Castlemaine), Tom Sheehy (Dingle).


On Sun. 15th May, ideal weather enabled an energetic committee to make the Juvenile Sports at Killorglin an outstanding success. That was part of the CYMS centenary week celebrations. A very large crowd showed their appreciation of the excellent efforts of the youthful contestants, to many of whom this was a first experience of a sports meeting. The sports were held in the centre-field of the greyhound track with the kind permission of John A. Foley. The Laune Pipers band paraded through the town and played at intervals on the field. A very strong representation from CBS, Tralee and Catholic Boys Scouts, Tralee competed. The results were as follows:

80 yards (girls) – 1st M. Mitchel, Killorglin; 2nd P. Coughlan, Cullina.

100 yards – 1st M. O Neill, ISK; 2nd T. Costello, ISK.

Blindfold Race – 1st Mary Callanan, Killorglin N.S.

80 yards (boys) – 1st J. O Sullivan BNS, Killorglin; 2nd Donal Coffey, Cullina.

100 yards (10-14 years) – 1st Maurice Breen, BNS, Killorglin; 2nd C. Murray, CBS, Tralee.

100 yards (14-16 years) – 1st P. O Donnell, CBS, Tralee; 2nd D. Slattery, CBS, Tralee.

100 yards (14-18 years) – 1st Paudie Sheehy, CBS, Tralee; 2nd B. Fanning, CBS, Tralee.

220 yards (10-14 years) – 1st C. Murray, CBS; 2nd J. Neville, Scouts.

220 yards (14-16 years) – 1st P. O Donnell, Scouts; 2nd Sean Gill, ISK.

220 yards (16-18 years) – 1st P. Fanning, CBS; 2nd Paudie Sheehy, CBS.

440 yards (14-16 years) – 1st P. Horan, Scouts; 2nd E. Townsend, Scouts.

440 yards (16-18 years) – 1st Denis Falvey, CBS; 2nd B. Mitchel, ISK.

880 yards (16-18 years) – 1st D. Murray, CBS; 2nd Denis Falvey, CBS.

Mile Cycle – 1st Sean Gill, ISK; 2nd M. O Connor, St. Brendan’s; 3rd Dan Ahern, ISK.

High Jump (14-16 years) – 1st P. O Donnell, Scouts; 2nd M. Forde, ISK.

High Jump (16-18 years) – 1st P. Costello, CBS; 2nd J. Barry, CBS.

Long Jump (14-16 years) 1st P. O Donnell, Scouts; 2nd Sean Gill, ISK.

Long Jump (16-18 years) – 1st P. Costello, CBS; 2nd J. Barry, CBS.

7 lbs. Shot – 1st P. O Donnell, Scouts; 2nd tie between Mikey Joe Foley, ISK and Den Foley, Dungeel NS.

12 lbs. Shot – 1st J. Barry, Scouts; 2nd Denis Falvey, CBS.

Wheelbarrow Race – 1st V. Freeman and P. Connolly.

Balloon Race – 1st Eileen Gill; 2nd J. O Sullivan.

Junior Relay – 1st Scouts; 2nd CBS.

Intermediate Relay – 1st CBS; 2nd Killorglin NS.

Senior Relay – 1st CBS; 2nd Scouts.


In February, the hiring market took place in Killorglin. That was the time of year that farmers endeavoured to secure servants for the approaching year. Men demanded £10 per month and offers of £80 or £90 for the eleven months period were refused. Girls asked for around £6 per month.


On Mon. 18th April, Killorglin turned out in full strength to celebrate the coming into force of the Republic of Ireland Act and commemorate the memory of the men who died for Ireland in 1916. Following special Mass in St. James’ Church, a procession formed up in the square, whence, led by a company of Old IRA veterans, it proceeded to Ballykissane Pier, the scene of the first episode of the 1916 Rising, where Charlie Monaghan, Con Keating and Daniel Sheehan lost their lives in their country’s cause. On arrival at the pier, a wreath was placed on the memorial, while another floral tribute was laid on the river. Two minutes silence were observed, a salute fired and, after the playing of the National Anthem by the local Pipers Band, the procession returned to the Square where, after the reading of the 1916 Proclamation, the Republic of Ireland was acclaimed and the crowd dispersed.


On Wed. 2nd Nov. thanks to ideal weather and an excellent stock of hares, coursing at Reen Park got off to a fine start. The competition in the various stakes was possibly the best seen since the meeting was first organised. The very large crowd of spectators, who attended, were very appreciative and commended the committee highly on the smooth efficiency with which the meeting was run and the improvements to the park in general. Major Neidín, owned by Tralee businessman Tommy Brosnan, and nominated by Killorglin businessman Patrick Duffy O Shea, triumphed meritoriously in the Iveragh Cup final on Thursday, the last day of the meeting.


On Sun. 20th Nov. Cahersiveen FCA beat Tralee Rocks (FCA) by 16 points to 12 in the final of the first ever Kerry Co. Basketball League, played in the Oisín Ballrom, Killorglin. Messrs. Goggin and Fitzpatrick of the Cork County Basketball Board officiated. In a supporting game, Waterville beat Killorglin FCA by 8 points to 5. Killorglin: D. O Neill, P. Doyle, Patsy Hurley, D. Casey and P. Galvin.


Called forth by the strains of the Pipers’ Band, who paraded the town, a huge crowd assembled in the square around midnight on 31st Dec. 1949. Prominent townsmen reviewed the town’s triumphs in the year gone by and anticipated its further successes in the coming year. The speeches were followed by community singing and further music from the Pipers, after which the gathering dispersed in a most orderly fashion.