Laune Rangers – 1952

 For the first time, a Minor Hurling Club was formed in Killorglin. James Coffey was the Secretary/Treasurer.

The Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship was unfinished

For the first time in many years, inter-primary schools’ games were played, on an informal basis.

Kerry lost the Munster Junior Football Championship Final to Tipperary after a replay. Donal Prendiville played at full-forward.

Bobby Doyle was elected Secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board.

*                *                      *                      *                        *                     *                     *

Killorglin Minor Hurling Club was founded in the CYMS Hall, on Thurs. 18th Sept. Amongst the attendance were Jim Tobin (he had played with Glen Rovers in Cork), Maurice Breen, James Coffey, John McCarthy, Hal O Donoghue, Paddy Foley, Ted O Leary, Gene Mangan, Kevin Cremin, Donal Prendiville, Brendan Gill, Patrick O Sullivan and Sean Gill.

The following officers were elected: Chairman – Jim Tobin, Vice-Chairman – Maurice Breen, Joint Secretary/Treasurer – James Coffey, Ass. Joints Secretary/Treasurer – John McCarthy. Committee – Hal Donoghue, Paddy Foley, Ted O Leary, Gene Mangan, Kevin Cremin. The aim of the club was to win the Co. Championship. The Chairman told the gathering that if they wanted a Killorglin Football team as well as a hurling team, the club would agree to it. However, most of those present said it would be better to carry on with the hurling and let the Mid-Kerry Board be in charge of the football. The Chairman also said that in forming the hurling team in Killorglin, he had no wish to do away with football in the town. It was decided to run a seven-a-side league and to hold weekly meetings in the CYMS Hall on Thursdays.

Co. Senior Football Championship

Sixteen teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship. These were divided into four groups, with two to qualify from each for the quarter-finals.

Group A: Shannon Rangers, Listowel, John Mitchel’s and St. Brendan’s.

Group B: Dingle, Castlegregory, Austin Stack’s and Kerins O Rahilly’s.

Group C: Mid-Kerry, Iveragh, Eoghan Rua’s (Rathmore) and Kenmare.

Group D: Castleisland, St. Mary’s, Killarney and Dick Fitzgerald’s.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 27th April at 4.00pm at Killorglin: Kenmare defeated Mid-Kerry and thus avenged a severe defeat suffered when they played last in Kenmare.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 29th June at 4.00pm at Waterville: Iveragh 1-2; Mid-Kerry 1-6.

The teams showed lack of training and both sets of backs had the better of the exchanges with the forwards, who on many occasions sent hopelessly wide even though well placed. Best for Mid-Kerry were P. Scully, Paddy Clifford (Glenbeigh), Tom Campbell (Glenbeigh), Sean Horan (Milltown) and John Lyne, Quaybawn (Glenbeigh). Iveragh was best served by Denis Baily, Coffey, DJ O Neill, John Sugrue and O Connell.

Both sets of forwards showed poor marksmanship. Ref: Johnny B. Curran.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 7th Sept. at 2.30pm at Killarney: Eoghan Rua’s 1-4; Mid-Kerry 1-8.

The game lacked high-class football and the standard was mediocre throughout. Eoghan Rua’s led at halftime by one point. In the second half, Mid-Kerry drew level, forged ahead and left no doubt as to the outcome. Best for the winners were Donal Prendiville (Laune Rangers), Sean Horan (Milltown/Castlemaine), Jerry Griffin (Milltown/Castlemaine) and Denny Sheahan (Glenbeigh). Rathmore was well served by Dee McCarthy, Sean Dempsey and Derry Kenneally.


Quarter Final on Sun. 21st Sept. at 3.00pm at Killarney: Kenmare 0-11; Mid-Kerry 0-4

At no stage was the issue in doubt, as Kenmare had the scene well dominated. For Kenmare, the Spillanes, Tom and Denis, and Micksie Palmer were outstanding while Mid-Kerry was best served by John O Sullivan, Jerry Griffin and Donal Prendiville.

Mid-Kerry: Paddy Clifford (Glenbeigh), Teddy O Sullivan (Castlemaine), Denny Sheahan(Glenbeigh), Johnny O Sullivan (do.), John Joe Sheehan (Firies), John Lyne (Glenbeigh), Mick Scanlon (Killorglin), Michael Murphy (do.), S. Kelliher, John Moriarty (Killorglin), Donal Prendiville (do.), Sean Horan (Castlemaine), Jerry Griffin (do.), D. D. Keane (do.), Michael O Riordan (Cromane).

Kenmare: Timmy O Mahony, Micksie Palmer, John O Neill, Billy Lynch, Paddy Spillane, Jerome Spillane, Denis McCarthy, Tom Spillane, Bertie Christian, M. Lynch, Michael Galvin, S. McHugh, Tom B. Spillane, Michael O Sullivan, Denis Spillane.

Ref: D. O Leary (Killarney).


John Mitchels, captained by Hawlie Lynch, won the Co. Championship by beating Kenmare in the final on the score of 3-6 to 0-6.


Mid-Kerry Senior Football

There were two divisions: A – Glenbeigh, Beaufort and Laune Rangers;

B – Milltown, Firies and Keel.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 16th March: A – Glenbeigh v Beaufort. Laune Rangers a bye.

B – Firies v Keel. Milltown a bye.

Rd. 2 on Sun. 23rd March: A – Laune Rangers v Winners.

B – Milltown v Winners.

At a board meeting held on 30th Sept. it was decided to postpone all league games until the following Spring. The games were never thereafter played.




Sun. 9th March at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-2; Listry 1-1.

The very good attendance at that game showed a reawakening of interest in Gaelic activities locally. Certainly the local youths justified their inclusion in the team. That was the first time for many years that Laune Rangers had beaten Listry. The most pleasing feature of the game was the promise of great things to come shown in the performance of some of the new players. Best for the Rangers were James Coffey (goals), Sean Gill, Donal Prendiville, Michael and Kevin Murphy and John Moriarty (brother of county player, Tom).


Sun. 30th March at Castlemaine: East v West, in Mid-Kerry trial game.


Thurs. 19th June at Milltown: Milltown 1-1; Laune Rangers 0-4.

The game was keenly contested, with never more than a point between the sides during the entire run of play. Scorers for the home side were Larkin and O Sullivan, while Donal Prendiville, Batty Foley, Donal Kerins and Mick Scanlon scored for the Rangers.


Co. Minor Football Championship


At Castleisland: Mid-Kerry lost to Castleisland.

Mid-Kerry were well beaten. At midfield, Sean Horan and Batty Foley were pitted against Tim Lyons and Eric Ryan (later of Cork fame).

Co. Final on Sun. 28th Sept. in Tralee: Castleisland 1-0; Austin Stacks 0-1.


Juvenile Football


The Kerry Champion, in the first week in June, read, “The enthusiasm among our youthful footballers is very high and gives promise of great things in Killorglin’s Gaelic future. A visit from Cahersiveen schoolboys (on Wed. 4th June) whetted the enthusiasm until nothing was heard among the younger generation but talk of matches and confidence of victories. Even among the adults the game caused much comment giving, as it did, a headline quite worthy of emulation. The teams were pretty well matched, Killorglin, if anything, being the stronger. The visitors, however, were much more experienced in match play, a fact that accounted for their victory by 2-1 to 0-1. In actual play, there was very little between the teams and perhaps the local side was individually better. The following were worthy of special mention: Mossy O Sullivan, Patrick O Sullivan, Myles Coffey (goals), Brian Corkery, Tadhg Corkery and Paddy O Neill. The Killorglin boys are looking forward to a return match in Cahersiveen.”

Scoil Mhuire, Killorglin: Patrick O Sullivan (Dromavalla) capt., Francis Reidy (Mill Road), Noel Kingston (Market St.), Paddy O Neill (The Square), Mossy O Sullivan (Ardmoniel), Tadhg Corkery (Reen), Austin O Reilly (Langford St.), Brian Corkery (Upper Bridge St.), John Sheehan (Dromavalla), Peter Gill (Langford St.), Francis Buckley (Dromavalla), Denny O Reilly (Farrentoreen), Stevie Teahan (Langford St.), Noel Foley (Dromavalla), Myles Coffey (Langford St.).


Fri. 13th June at Killorglin: Scoil Mhuire 1-8; Monastery, Milltown 1-0.

The new J. P. O Sullivan Memorial Park was again the venue for a very interesting primary schools’ game. Though the winning margin was substantial, the score does not give a clear indication of the trend of the play nor of the excellence of the work put in by several of the Milltown team. Among those boys were Quirke, Tom Dowling and C. Cronin, who made repeated breakthroughs in the Killorglin defence and fullback, Kerrisk, who proved himself an insurmountable obstacle to the Killorglin forwards. In the closing stages, the home lads had control of the game and kept the opposing team back to their own twenty-five yards line. Most heartening feature of the game was the fine promise of things to come, shown by several of the home youths. Repeatedly, Paddy O Neill, Mossy O Sullivan, Francis Reidy and Noel Foley broke up opposition rushes and sent Tadhg Corkery, Patrick O Sullivan and Brian Corkery into the attack, with excellent support from the other team members, John O Connor, Austin O Reilly, Francis Buckley, Joe Galvin, Stevie Teahan, Joe McMahon, Peter Gill, John Sheehan and substitutes Denny O Reilly and Sean Falvey.


Thurs. 19th June at Milltown: Monastery, Milltown 2-2; Scoil Mhuire 2-2.

Marksmen for the home side were Tom Dowling, D. Riordan, C. Cronin and Tommy Hurley, while scorers for the visitors were Patrick O Sullivan and Brian Corkery.


1st week in July at Killorglin: Scoil Mhuire beat Milltown Monastery.

With a win and a draw to their credit, the local National School met the Monastery schoolboys for the third of their challenge matches. The local boys, by a very substantial score, proved their superiority. Both teams were two short at the start but the sportsmanship, so noticeable among such young players, prompted them to invite older boys from the spectators to fill the vacant places. Right through the game the aim of both sides was to get the ball cleanly and place it to the best advantage. The local boys were to be complimented on their victory and the Milltown boys for the way in which they accepted defeat.


Fri. 19th Sept. in Killorglin: CBS, Cahersiveen beat Scoil Mhuire.

Anxious to get revenge for the previous defeat against the CBS, Cahersiveen, the boys from Killorglin were in determined mood. However, they were again the losers but, at least, they can say that they tried hard and were defeated by a better-trained team. In fact, the local boys were to be complimented on putting up a very fine show, when it was considered how little opportunity they had of practising together.


Schools/Colleges Football


Kerry Technical Schools’ League:

In April at Killarney: Killarney 4-4; Killorglin 0-3.

Though Killarney maintained a lead, they had a rough passage to emerge winners.

Waterville, led by Mick O Dwyer, beat Killorglin, also in the competition.


Juvenile Hurling Parish League

A hurling club was formed for the very first time. It concentrated mainly on the juveniles in the first year. A seven-a-side league was organised in October/November. The three captains were Maurice Breen (Langford St.), Paddy Foley (Mill Rd.) and Hal Donoghue (Cloon). The games were played on a league system, teams meeting twice. The winner of the league had to have more than two points greater than his rival. The winners received a set of cups, which were displayed on John McCarthy’s window. The games were played in the underdeveloped J.P. O Sullivan Park. The teams were:

Wanderers: Paddy Foley (Mill Road) capt, Kevin Reilly (Sunhill), Donal Lyons (Iveragh Road), Michael Teahan (Langford St.), Brendan Gill (do.), Maurice Geary (originally from Waterford)), Gene Mangan (Iveragh Road) and Tony Graves (Market St.).

United: Maurice Breen (Langford St.) capt, James Clifford (originally from Firies), Tadhg O Reilly (Farrentoreen), James Coffey (Lower Bridge St.), John McCarthy (Upper Bridge St.), Christy Jones (School Road), Noel Foley (Laune View) and Ted O Leary (Lower Bridge St.).

Rangers: Hal O Donoghue (Cloon) capt, Patrick O Sullivan (Smith), Gerard O Dwyer (Annadale Road), Francis Reidy (Mill Road), Mossy O Sullivan (Ardmoniel), Brendan Mangan (Dromin), Paddy O Neill (The Square), and Patsy O Connor (Railway Tce,).


Rd. 1 on Wed. 1st Oct: United 13-4; Rangers 4-1.

Paddy O Neill came on as sub for Brendan Mangan.

Rd. 2 on Sun. 5th Oct: Wanderers 3-7; Rangers 1-1.

Rd. 3 on Wed. 8th Oct: Wanderers 6-2; United 1-0.

Christy Jones came on as substitute for James Cifford.

Rd. 4 on Sun. 12th Oct: Wanderers 3-6; Rangers 2-3.

Rd. 5 on Sun. 19th Oct: United 8-2; Rangers 3-2. Ref: Garda Sean Sheehan (He was a Garda in Glenbeigh).

Mossy O Sullivan and Gerard O Dwyer failed to turn out for Rangers.

League decider on Sun. 2nd Nov: Wanderers 3-3; United 2-1. Ref: Kevin Cremin (from Cork, he was in the army).

The standard of hurling was low, owing to the bad pitch. Maurice Geary played instead of Donal Lyons, who had been injured. At the meeting on the previous Tues. it was decided by four votes to two to play the final on that Sunday. Some members wanted to postpone the game because of the state of the pitch and the bad weather.

The table, at the end of the league, read, Wanderers – 8 points, United – 4 points and Rangers 0 point.


At the club meeting on Thurs. 6th Nov. the cups were presented to the victorious Wanderers team, who were congratulated by the members of the committee. It was decided to organise another seven-a-side league with three teams. The captains on that occasion were James Coffey (Faughs), Tony Graves (Wanderers) and John McCarthy (United). Each captain was asked to collect 2/6 from each member of his team. The teams were:

Faughs: James Coffey (capt.), Paddy Foley, Ted O Leary, Brendan Mangan, Gerard O Dwyer, James Clifford, Noel Foley.

Wanderers: Tony Graves (capt.), Brendan Gill, Maurice Geary, Donal Lyons, Christy Jones, Paddy O Neill, Michael Teahan.

United: John McCarthy (capt.), Maurice Breen, Don Johnston, Tadhg O Reilly, Patrick O Sullivan, Mossy O Sullivan, Francis Reidy.

Subs (common to all teams): Teddy Mangan, Myles Coffey, Gene Mangan, Brian Corkery, Patsy O Connor and Brendan Fullam.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 16th Nov: Faughs 4-2; Wanderers 2-2. Ref: Mick Woulfe (He lived in Johnston’s, the Square).

Patsy O Connor played instead of James Clifford on the Faughs team. There were only six players on each team – Noel Foley (Faughs) and Donal Lyons (Wanderers) failed to turn out.

Rd. 2 on Sun. 23rd Nov: United 3-1; Wanderers 1-4. Ref: Jim Tobin.

The remainder of the league was postponed until the New Year owing to the condition of the pitch and the snow that had fallen.

Co. Minor Hurling Championship


Final: Killarney won the title for the third year-in-a-row.

Killarney Panel: Michael Moynihan, Tony Murphy, James Horan, Johnny Culloty, Michael Looney, Jimmy Redpath, Paddy O Shea, Denis O Leary, Brendan Carroll, Tom Brosnan, Liam Brosnan, Seamus O Donoghue, Pa O Brien, Patrick O Donoghue, Tom Hanrahan, Hal O Donoghue, Don Kennelly, Mickey Culloty and Paddy Murphy. Ben Campion, Laois, was the trainer.

Killarney Minor Hurling team (Co. Champions) 1952

Killarney Minor Hurling team (Co. Champions) 1952 Front (l to r): Michael Moynihan, Tony Murphy, James —–, Johnny Culloty, Michael Looney, Jimmy Redpath, Teddy O Shea, Denis O Leary, Brendan Carroll. Back: Tom Brosnan, Liam Brosnan, Seamus O Donoghue, Pa O Brien, Ben Campion (Trainer), Patrick O Donoghue, Tom Hanrahan, Hal Donoghue (Killorglin), Michael O Connor.
Killarney Minor Hurling team (Co. Champions) 1952
Front (l to r): Michael Moynihan, Tony Murphy, James —–, Johnny Culloty, Michael Looney, Jimmy Redpath, Teddy O Shea, Denis O Leary, Brendan Carroll.
Back: Tom Brosnan, Liam Brosnan, Seamus O Donoghue, Pa O Brien, Ben Campion (Trainer), Patrick O Donoghue, Tom Hanrahan, Hal Donoghue (Killorglin), Michael O Connor


Minor Hurling Challenge


Challenge on Sun. 7th Dec. at Killarney (Seminary Field): Killarney 5-2; Killorglin 0-2.

That was Killorglin’s first time playing at 15-a-side. That victory was not theirs, in no way detracted from the fine game put up by the team against the Co. Minor Hurling Champions. The substantial margin by which the winners emerged victors was not indicative of the play, in which the Killorglin lads mixed as freely, but, through lack of experience, were unable to put to equal advantage the fifty per cent control they established. The backs played extremely well as did Tadhg O Reilly at midfield.

Liam Foley, Brendan O Reilly, Johnny Mangan and J. O Sullivan brought their cars. The jerseys that were used were those belonging to Killorglin Vocational School and were given to the team by Mossy Roche, principal.

Killorglin: Patrick O Sullivan, Gerard O Dwyer, Brendan Gill, Don Johnston, Donal Lyons, John McCarthy, Ted O Leary, Brendan Mangan, Tadhg O Reilly, Paddy Foley (0-2) capt., Tony Graves, Michael Teahan, Patsy O Connor, Maurice Breen, James Coffey. Subs: Paddy O Neill, Mossy O Sullivan, Christy Jones and Francis Reidy.


Munster Junior Football Championship


Sun. 25th May at Kenmare: Kerry 0-10; Cork 0-4.

Joe Dineen (Rathmore) at No. 3, Donie O Neill (St. Mary’s), Jerome Spillane (Templenoe), Con O Riordan (Glenflesk) at midfield. Sean Gill had been selected at right corner-forward but he did not travel.


Final on Sun. 3rd Aug. at Fermoy: Tipperary 0-15; Kerry 2-9.

John ‘Walla’ O Connor at No. 3, Bobby Millar (Austin Stacks) at No. 10. Donal Prendiville played at full-forward.


Replay on Sun. 10th Aug. at Thurles: Tipperary 0-8; Kerry 0-6.

Donal Prendiville, playing at full-forward, punched the last point, having caught Bobby Millar’s free as it rebounded off the post.



M. V. O Donoghue (Port Láirge) was elected as Uachtarán CLG. Pádraig Ó Caoimh (Cork) was General Secretary.


J. O Keeffe was Chairman of the Munster Council, Sean McCarthy (Kerry) was Secretary and Willie Hough (Limerick) was Treasurer.


Co. Convention was held in the Glebe Hotel, Killarney on Sun. 27th Jan. 166 delegates attended. The following officers were elected: President – Very Rev. Canon Lyne, Dingle; Chairman – Den Joe Baily; Vice-Chairman – Frank Sheehy; Hon. Sec. – Jerry McCarthy (91 votes to 21 for J. Lawlor); Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan; Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc. It was decided that the Co. Board would elect a Finance Committee and that that committee would elect the two Treasurers. Despite motions to reduce the number on the Co. Senior Selection Committee, it was decided to retain one representative from each District Board and a Chairman (Joe Barrett) as proposed by South-Kerry Board. Chairman of the Co. Hurling Selection Committee – Ben Campion.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held on 22nd Jan. The following were in attendance; Paddy Foley and Bobby Doyle (Laune Rangers), Tom Woods and Jim O Shea, Ballyvirrane (Milltown), Martin Knightley and Father Griffin (Castlemaine), M. McSweeney and Murt Kelly (Beaufort), William O Shea (Keel).

Officers elected: President – Father Moriarty; Vice-Presidents – Father Galvin and Brother Prudent; Chairman – Father Griffin (Castlemaine); Vice-Chairman – William Brick (Firies); Secretary – Bobby Doyle (Laune Rangers); Treasurer – Jimmy O Doherty (Glenbeigh); Delegates to Co. Board – Father Griffin and Murt Kelly.

The following motions were passed:

  1. ‘That each club Secretary would take charge of his club’s expenses, bills etc. and deal directly with the Board Secretary.’
  2. ‘That a decision re Selection committee would be deferred until Co. Convention.’
  3. ‘That Frank Sheehy would be supported for Chairmanship of the Co. Board.’
  4. ‘That a raffle would be held.’ There would be 14 tickets in a book. Tickets would be 3d each. If a seller completed his book, he would get 6d for himself. The prizes were £3, £2 and £1. 300 books would be printed.
  5. ‘That the 1951 League would be abandoned.’
  6. ‘That medals for Firies be first consideration, when funds become available.’
  7. ‘That the 1952 league divisions would be the same as last year.’


The minutes of three Mid-Kerry Board meetings are available.

Father Griffin presided at the meeting on 22nd Feb. Also present were Paddy Foley, Jimmy O Doherty, Tom Woods and Murt Kelly. Firies wrote regretting inability to attend and enclosed 32/6 registration and insurance. Draws for the 1952 league were made. The following books of sweep tickets were distributed: Jimmy O Doherty N. T., Glenbeigh – 20 books; Martin Daly N. T., Boheshill – 10 books; Tom Woods, Milltown – 10 books; Father O Doherty, C. C. Cahersiveen – 10 books; Mick Foley N. T., Ballyfinnane – 10 books; Dan Clifford N. T., Kilgobnet – 10 books; Pete Coughlan N. T., Cullina – 10 books; Mortimer Moriarty N. T., Rockfield – 10 books; Tom Corcoran N. T., Castledrum – 10 books; E. Kavanagh N. T., Castlemaine – 10 books; Firies – 40 books; James Lambe N. T., – 10 books; Jerry Quill N. T., – 10 books; Murt Kelly N. T., – 10 books.

Father Griffin presided at the meeting on 15th April. Paddy Foley, Tom Woods, Murt Kelly and Jimmy O Doherty attended also. Arrangements were made for the raffle draw. It was decided that all outstanding bills would be paid as soon as possible. The team to play Kenmare in the Co. senior Championship was selected. Firies would be notified to carry B. O Brien and John Joe Sheehan and to pick up the Milltown boys at Tom Woods’ house at 3pm.

Father Griffin was in the chair for the meeting on 30th Sept. Bobby Doyle, Murt Kelly, Tom Woods, Jerry Griffin, Jimmy O Doherty and his son also attended. It was decided to arrange a dance in Castlemaine in Oct. or Nov. with Jimmy Rohan’s Band, Tralee, providing the music. As soon as details were finalised, posters would be printed by Killarney Printers and the dance would be advertised in the Kerryman. If Rohan’s Band was unavailable, Pat Crowley’s Band, Cork, might play at Killorglin. It was decided to postpone all league games until the early spring.


22 meetings of Killorglin Hurling Club were held and the following matters transpired:

Thurs. 25th Sept – It was decided to buy two thousand flags for the Flag Day, which was held on the first day of the Coursing Meeting in Reen Park (22nd Oct.). Arrangements were made for the commencement of the league. It was agreed that the referee would decide whether the pitch was playable or not. He had the full authority to postpone a game.

Thurs. 2nd Oct. – It was decided to run a draw on the Cambridgeshire Horse-Race at 1/- a line.

Thurs. 9th Oct. – Membership fee was set at 2/6. Hal Donoghue resigned as a member of the committee.

Thurs. 16th Oct. – Tony Graves was elected onto the committee. It was reported that on Fri. 10th Oct. James Coffey, John McCarthy, Gene Mangan and Brendan Gill had collected £5-10-0 in the town for the Cambridgeshire Draw.

Thurs. 23rd Oct. – The Flag Day yielded 55/-, which left a profit of 25/-. The collectors were Paddy Foley, Christy Jones, Kevin O Reilly, Maurice Breen, Ted O Leary, James Coffey, Tony Graves, Brendan Gill, Michael Teahan, John McCarthy and Gerard O Dwyer.

Tues. 28th Oct. – The draw for the Cambridgeshire took place in the CYMS Hall. The club decided to purchase one dozen hurleys.

Thurs. 6th Nov. – It was decided to organise another league with three captains. It was also decided to play a practice match on Sun. 9th Nov. between Upper and Lower Town.

Thurs. 20th Nov. – Arising out of an incident before the previous Sunday’s game, when the appointed referee failed to turn up, the captain of the Wanderers team did not agree to a referee from the United team, that was neutral, the Chairman said that he could not see any reason why the captain did not agree to the neutral referee. Thankfully, M. Woulfe had saved the day, when he agreed t referee the game. The Chairman pointed out that the club was a hurling club and no matter concerning other clubs outside the GAA could be brought up at its meetings. The club had twelve hurleys and two sliotars.

Thurs. 11th Dec. – A return match with Killarney was announced for the New Year. Players were asked to train on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays.


The following attended Killorglin Minor Hurling Club meetings during 1952: Jim Tobin (22), James Coffey (22), Paddy Foley (22), John McCarthy (18), Maurice Breen (17), Ted O Leary (11), Gene Mangan (10), Tony Graves (6), Kevin Cremin (6), Brendan Gill (3), Hal Donoghue (3). Hal Donoghue resigned after three meetings and was replaced by Tony Graves. Ted O Leary resigned after eighteen meetings and was replaced by Brendan Gill.


Jack O Dwyer, Junior, toured Kerry with the Naomh Mhuire team from, Kilburn, London in August They had victories over Dingle, Keel and Tralee but lost to St. Mary’s, Cahersiveen. At that time Naomh Mhuire was composed mainly of Kerry players. The players travelled by train to the various venues and stayed in various houses around the county.


At the Co. Board meeting on Mon. 5th May, the Chairman, Frank Sheehy, said that it was becoming a favourite pastime with clubs in the county to promote dances in order to secure funds. Whether dancing was right or not, was not questioned but there was a rule in the Official Guide of the Association, which stated that clubs were not entitled to promote dances. He warned clubs that if they were caught doing so, they would be severely dealt with as per the Official Guide.


The J. P. O Sullivan Park Committee organised a Stop-Watch Competition, in an effort to raise funds. The watch was wound and locked securely in a box in a room in the CYMS and Paddy Foley, Iveragh Road, was given charge of the key. Cards were printed, each containing a different second of every minute of the hour. People bet on the exact time that the watch would stop. When the sealed watch was opened, the winners were as follows: 1st Denis Kerrisk, Keel, Castlemaine; 2nd J. McHugh, Castletownroche; 3rd M. Teahan, Cromane N. S. The winning ticket was sold by Kevin Foley, Iveragh Road.


The first of the season’s ‘31’ drives, in aid of the J. P. O Sullivan Memorial Park, concluded on the first Sunday in Dec. in the Carnegie Hall. Winners were Micko Doyle and Pat Leane, with the other finalist places filled by Tom Spillane and Michael O Riordan, Paddy Foley and Tim Foley, Michael Ahern and Michael Galvin.


Co. SFC on Sun. 26th Sept. at Killarney: Dick Fitzgerald’s 3-8; Killarney 1-2.

Ref: Mícheál Scanlon (Laune Rangers)


Paudie Foley was a member of the Listry team that won the East-Kerry Senior Championship. (He had been working in Paddy Slattery’s garage in Milltown and it was such that deemed him legal to play for Listry).


Kerry lost to Cork in the Munster Senior Football Championship Final at the Athletic Grounds on the score of 0-11 to 0-2.

Kerry: Donie Marcus O Neill, Jas Murphy, Paddy Bawn Brosnan, Gerald O Sullivan, Sean Murphy, Jackie Lyne, Micksie Palmer, Dermot Hanafin, Brendan O Shea, Paudie Sheehy, JJ Sheehan, Tadghie Lyne (capt.), Jim Brosnan (0-1), Sean Kelly, Tom Ashe. Subs: Brendan Galvin (0-1) for T. Ashe, Colm Kennelly for S. Murphy, Eddie Dowling for T. Lyne, Teddy O Connor for M. Palmer.

Kerry lost to Clare in the Munster Minor Football Championship in Tralee.


On Sun. 31st Aug. Den Joe Bailey, Chairman of the Kerry Co. Board GAA died suddenly in Ballyheigue. He had been an administrator with the Co. Board since 1916.


On Sat. 4th Oct, Most Rev. Dr. Michael O Brien, Bishop of Kerry, died, aged 76 years. He had been born in the parish of Castlemaine.


On Wed./Thurs. 22nd/23rd Oct. the Iveragh Cup Coursing Meeting was held in Reen Park. The judge was Kevin Laide, Cork, and the slipper was M. Murphy, Lixnaw. Admission was 2/6 and the car-park was 2/6.


Moran’s draperies in Castleisland and Cahersiveen had a special offer on football knickers of 4/11 a pair.


Niall Mulvihill was timed running a mile in the J.P. O Sullivan Park and his time was better than that of the Irish Champion of the time, John Joe Barry, ‘the Ballincurry hare’.


The new houses at Farrentoreen (St. James’ Gardens) were in various stages of erection in March. The inclusion of a children’s playground was most commendable and the provision of reasonable garden space for each house was a most welcome feature. However, the drab uniformity and sameness of the houses caused unfavourable comment and it was felt a pity that the designers could not now and gain have departed from the stereotyped, one-track pattern by way of adding a touch of variety.


On Sun. 20th April (Easter Sunday), surviving members of the Killorglin Battalion Old IRA, led by their Battalion O.C., Tom O Connor (Main St.), paid their annual tribute to the memory of their deceased comrades. Forming up at Ballykissane, at the point where the ill-fated expedition of Good Friday night 1916 came to its tragic end, the battalion marched through the town to Dromavalla, where John Flynn T. D. laid wreathes on the graves of the deceased officers and men of the Battalion. A decade of the Rosary was recited by Johnny Griffin of Killorglin, while the Battalion banner was held aloft by Jeremiah Teahan of Milltown.