Laune Rangers – 1959

 Keel beat Laune Rangers in the Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship final.

Laune Rangers retained the Laune Rangers Cup.

Laune Rangers retained the Mid-Kerry U-16 Football Championship.

Laune Rangers won the Mid-Kerry U-14 Championship for the second time.

Pat Ahern, then with Ballymacelligott, won an O Sullivan Cup Colleges’ medal with St. Brendan’s, Killarney.

James Coffey was re-elected as Secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board for the fifth successive year. Peter Gill was elected as Assistant Secretary.

Killorglin Minor Hurling Club was reformed.

The wall on the main road-side of the J.P. O Sullivan Park was built at a cost of £1,000.

*        *         *             *              *                *             *                *                  *

The AGM of the club took place on 2nd Dec. 1958 in the CYMS Hall. Chairman, Michael Morris, presided. Over 30 members attended. (The Secretary’s Report is given at the end of 1958). In his address, the Chairman welcomed Father O Riordan to the meeting. He said that the year had been an outstanding success for the club. They had won four Mid-Kerry titles, a feat, which might never be equalled. He congratulated the players for the fine sporting way they had played the games. He said that there was a great spirit among the members. He also said that it was shameful to see the National teachers of the parish taking so little interest in the games. He said that they should take more interest and try to develop the games in the schools. Concluding, the Chairman thanked all those who helped the club in any way during the year.

The Treasurer’s Report showed a credit balance of £7-11-10. Income = £141-10-0. Expenditure = £133-18-2. However, there were unpaid bills of £20 (approx.). It was decided to accept the £14 from the Hurling Club. The report was adopted.

The following officers were elected:

Presidents: Rev. Father O Riordan C.C., Rev. Father Stack C.C. and Rev. Father Finucane P.P.

Vice-President: Paddy Foley.

Chairman: John Foley (elected on a vote with Michael Morris, outgoing).

Vice-Chairmen: Sean Foley and Michael Morris.

Hon. Secretary: James Coffey.

Assistant Hon. Secretary: Donal Mangan.

Hon. Treasurer: Michael Morris.

Committee: Batty Foley, Donal Prendiville, Christy O Riordan, Kevin Foley, Joe McMahon, Sean O Reilly, Jackie O Dwyer, Peter Gill, Paddy Clifford, Patrick O Shea, Bertie Harmon, Michael McMahon, Michael Moriarty, Patsy Hurley, Denny O Reilly, M. O Connell and the senior captain, vice-captain and the minor captain.

Delegates to Mid-Kerry Convention: Father O Riordan, John Foley, Michael Morris and Sean O Reilly.

Delegates to Mid-Kerry Board: John Foley and Michael Morris.

Delegates to Co. Convention: James Coffey and John Foley.

Senior Selection Committee: John Foley, Paddy Foley, Father O Riordan, Kevin Foley and Pat O Shea.

Senior Captain: Pat O Shea.

Senior Vice-Captain: Teddy Mangan.

Minor captain: Donal Mangan.

U-16 Captain: Paudie Carroll.

U-14 Captain: Stephen Corkery.

Kevin Foley would represent the club on the Mid-Kerry Selection Committee.

The following were the club’s nominations for the Mid-Kerry Board:

Chairman – Father Kelly; Vice-Chairman – Father McCloskey; Hon. Secretary – James Coffey; Assistant Hon. Secretary – Peter Gill; Hon. Treasurer – Michael Morris; Delegate to Co. Board – Murt Kelly.

The newly elected Chairman, John Foley, thanked the club for electing him. He said that he had been a member of the old club and that he was delighted to be back again. He said that he could not see why the following year could not be as successful as the present year. He paid tribute to the ex-Chairman and he hoped that he would be able to do the work as well as the ex-Chairman had done it.

There was a long discussion on whether or not to enter a team in the Co. Championship. Most of those present were in favour of entering a team but it was decided to refer the matter back to the next committee meeting. It was decided to adopt Pat O Shea’s suggestion for the Parish League. It would be an eleven-a-side competition with teams from the Town, East of the Laune, Caragh Lake and Caragh Bridge/Cromane. It was decided to purchase tickets for the dance to be run in the Oisín on 30th Dec. The medals would be presented at the dance. All players would have to pay, except the U-16 players who were not on the minor team.


Co. Senior Football Championship

Thirteen teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship, Austin Stacks, Ballymacelligott, John Mitchels, Killarney Crokes, St. Brendan’s, Kenmare, Desmonds, Kerins O Rahilly’s, South-Kerry, West-Kerry, Feale Rangers, Mid-Kerry and Killarney Legion. A losers’ round was in operation.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 14th June at Ballylongford: Feale Rangers 6-7; Mid-Kerry 0-2.

There was small attendance and the standard was very poor. Whilst Rangers won as they pleased, they were not impressive, but that was probably due in large measure to the paucity of the opposition.

Dan McAuliffe opened the scoring with a point from a free after a couple of minutes and Gunn quickly added another. Des O Connor then had Mid-Kerry’s only score of the first half. The winners quickly came back in spirited fashion to add a spate of scores, which left them leading at halftime by 2-5 to 0-1. Rangers had matters all their own way after the resumption and the game gradually developed into a one-sided affair and all interest in the proceedings was lost long before the end.

Mid-Kerry: Dan Sheehan (Laune Rangers), George Evans (Keel), Michael O Connor (Milltown/Castlemaine), Joe Cournane (Keel), Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers), Jim Moriarty (Glenbeigh), Jackie O Dwyer (Laune Rangers), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Owen Mangan (Laune Rangers), Mick Foley (Keel), Willie O Neill (Laune Rangers) 0-1, Jackie Kerins (Milltown/Castlemaine), Des Connor (Glenbeigh) 0-1, Paddy Cliffford (Laune Rangers), John Joe Ladden (Milltown/Castlemaine).

Feale Rangers: E. Stack, E. Mulchaire, Ned Purtill, Paudie Guerin, Patsy O Sullivan, Pat Dillon, J. Whelan, C. Stack, Jer D. O Connor (1-0), Bernie O Callaghan, Dan McAuliffe (2-3), T. Gunn (0-1), Jotty Browne (1-1), B. Murphy (1-0), Michael Enright (1-2).

Ref: Jer Kavanagh (St. Brendan’s).


Losers’ Round on Sun. 12th July at Killorglin: West-Kerry 3-13; Mid-Kerry 2-1.

The winners had to produce a supreme second half effort to forge ahead of a rugged Mid-Kerry side, which had dominated the exchanges in the opening half. The losers led at the interval by 1-1 to 0-3 and were playing so determinedly at that stage that there was more than an outside chance of a home victory. The move that changed the course of the game was the bringing on of Seamus Murphy at midfield for West-Kerry after the interval. The UCD player, nursing a thigh injury received in the Munster semi-final against Tipperary, had not intended playing. However, seeing his side’s plight, he elected to go on and what a difference he made!

He replaced brother, Sean, who moved into his customary position at right halfback. Jerry O Riordan, man-of-the-match for the losers, found the newly arrived Murphy too astute a fielder to cope with and never excelled as he had done in the first half. County minor, John Ashe, had a poor first thirty minutes at midfield but came into his own when partnered by Seamus Murphy. The West-Kerry forwards were quick to avail of the improved service and, within seven minutes of the restart, they had gone into a four points lead. Mid-Kerry tried to retaliate but every time they brought to ball beyond halfway, it was quickly booted clear by a defence in which Gerald Cronin, Pat O Shea and Sean Murphy were unbeatable. Nor did the switching by the losers of dynamic half-forward, Mick Foley, to midfield prevent West-Kerry from sweeping home a stream of decisive scores before the finish.

Playing with the aid of a strong breeze, Mid-Kerry were far the superior team in the opening quarter. After sixteen minutes, they led by 1-1 to 0-2. Centre half-forward, John Burke, gave the West Kerry defence no chance when he crashed through a scorching goal after four minutes. West-Kerry improved towards the close of the half but their attack showed complete lack of thrust and combination. Many good movements were wasted through faulty finishing. However, once they gained midfield control after the interval, there was no stopping their flying attack.

The final score did not do justice to Mid-Kerry. As a matter of fact, they were worth at least another six or seven points. When they had the upper hand in the first half, they should have been able to score more often. However, their forwards were too hesitant. Had they taken their chances, they would have had a comfortable lead facing the breeze on the change over. Jerry O Riordan, at midfield, had an inspired first half. He outfielded his rivals and frequently pierced the West-Kerry back-line with his shrewd kicking. He slackened a little in the second half, but that was understandable, in view of the fact that he was pitted against a player of the stature of Seamus Murphy. Pat O Shea, at centre halfback, put in a resolute hour and quelled many raids. Jim Moriarty, on the right flank, Joe Cournane, at fullback, and Michael O Connor, at right fullback, were other defenders that played soundly. Of the forwards, Mick Foley, Des O Connor and Kerry minor, Liam Scully, were most prominent.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Bowler (Glenbeigh), Michael O Connor, Joe Cournane, Jackie O Dwyer, Jim Moriarty, Pat O Shea, Willie Burke (Milltown/Castlemaine), Jerry O Riordan, Ned O Shea (Keel), Liam Scully (Glenbeigh) 0-1, John Burke (Milltown/Castlemaine) 1-0, Mick Foley, Johnny Looney (Laune Rangers), Paddy Clifford, Des O Connor 1-0.

West-Kerry: Mícheál Cronin, Jack Walsh, Jack Dowling, Tom O Sullivan, Gerald Cronin, Pat Dowling, Paudie O Shea (0-1), John Ashe, Sean Murphy, Paddy Hussey (1-4), Seamus Garvey (0-1), Gene Driscoll (0-1), Joe O Sullivan (1-1), Tom Dowling, Donal Quirke (1-3). Subs: Seamus Murphy (0-1) for T. O Sullivan; S. Hussey (0-1) for P. Hussey.

Ref: Joe Kerins (Kerins O Rahilly’s).

An unsatisfactory feature of the game was the manner in which spectators were permitted to encroach upon the pitch. Besides being a definite hindrance to the players, it also prevented other onlookers from seeing the game.


John Mitchels, captained by Niall Sheehy, won the Co. Senior Football Championship by beating Feale Rangers in the final after a replay by 3-9 to 1-10. It was the first of their five-in-a-row of Co. Senior titles.


Co. Intermediate Championship

That competition was revived and was played between District Boards on a knock-out basis. Players who had not played Co. Senior Football Championship in the current year were eligible to play. Mid-Kerry was grouped with Kenmare, East-Kerry and South-Kerry.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 21st June at Killorglin: Mid-Kerry 3-2; Kenmare 2-4.

For most of the hour, the game was lifeless and the standard of football never reached any great heights. However, there were a few great individual displays. In the first half, Mid-Kerry lost numerous scoring chances through faulty shooting. Their approach work from midfield was very good but the finishing left much to be desired. Kenmare also missed a few easy chances in that half but turned over with an interval lead of 1-1 to 0-1.

Kenmare attacked from the restart and had a goal and a point without reply. Mid-Kerry were tiring very fast but a few positional switches brought a marked improvement. Kenmare added two more points before the Mid-Kerry rally. In the last ten minutes, Mid-Kerry scored two goals, one, of which, was a grand effort by John Burke, who burst through from midfield. The winners kept up the pressure and, after missing a close-in free, scored a point. With only three minutes left for play and Kenmare leading by 2-4 to 2-2, Mid-Kerry were awarded a free from thirty yards out. Owen Mangan took the free and scored a goal to give the home side the lead for the first time. The last few minutes were fought in exciting fashion and, try as they might, Kenmare were unable to save the day.

The star of the match was Liam Scully, who gave a great display at right halfback. He was always there to cover up weak spots and, during the entire game, he never put a foot wrong. John Burke gave a fine display in attack and, later, when moved to midfield. His brother, Willie, played well at centre halfback. His high fielding was a delight to watch. Batty Foley, Ned O Shea, Donal Mangan, Willie Spring, Joe McMahon, James Harmon, Owen Mangan and Sean Falvey were also prominent. Kenmare were best served by inter-county hurler, Sean Healy, P. O Malley, C. McCarthy, T. Daly and Geoff Mahony.

Ref: D. Scannell (Kenmare).


Rd. 2 on 28th June at Killarney: Mid-Kerry lost to East-Kerry.

Unfortunately, Mid-Kerry had only a scrap team as many of the players went to FCA practice instead.

Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship

Laune Rangers’ Selection Committee – John Foley, Paddy Foley, Father O Riordan, Kevin Foley, and Pat O Shea.

The competition was played on a league basis, with a double round.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 15th March at Castlemaine: Milltown/Castlemaine 2-3; Laune Rangers 0-2.

During the game, Jim Burke (Milltown/Castlemaine) and Sean O Reilly (Laune Rangers) were sent to the line for fighting and, at a subsequent Board meeting, both were suspended for one month.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 21st June at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh lost to Laune Rangers.

There had been a lapse of three months since the opening round of the competition! John ‘Scart’ Clifford had the proverbial stormer.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 12th July at Killorglin: Laune Rangers lost to Keel by four points


Rd. 4 on Mon. 3rd Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-7; Beaufort 0-5.


Rd. 5 on Sun. 9th Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-6; Milltown/Castlemaine 0-5.

Though this was a closely contested game, the standard of play was very low. Brilliant individual display by minors, Donal Mangan and Noel O Mahony for Rangers and Joe O Mahony for Milltown/Castlemaine, were the only redeeming features of the hour. For a side that were the favourites to win out the competition, the losers showed complete lack of spirit and only fine work by the Burke brothers, John and Willie, saved them from an even heavier defeat. Goalkeeper Lynch was also very sound. An unsavory outbreak took place midway through the second half, in which boots, fists and body-charges were used. Luckily nobody was injured and Laune Rangers went on to win the game. The Rangers fullback line was very ragged and the full-forward line needed improvement. However, Brian Corkery, Batty Foley, Owen Mangan and Paddy O Reilly were very good in attack. Teddy Mangan and Noel O Mahony held their own at midfield against a very strong partnership. Donal Mangan, Willie O Neill and Jackie O Dwyer formed an unbeatable halfback line. Others to play well for the losers were Jackie Kerins, Michael O Connor, Euge McKenna and Willie Spring.

Ref: Mikey O Connor (Keel).


Rd. 6 on Sun. 23rd Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers beat Beaufort.

Rd. 7 on Sun. 30th Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers drew with Glenbeigh.


Final on Sun. 6th Sept. at Killorglin: Keel beat Laune Rangers by four points.

Rangers started the game without fullback, Paddy Clifford. Myles Coffey played in goals and was fouled for one of the Keel goals. Owen Mangan travelled with his brother Brendan by motor-cycle from Dublin for that match. He scored a great goal from about thirty-five yards out but, unfortunately, it was not enough to save the day.


Pat O Shea (Cromane/Rangue)

Pat O Shea (Cromane/Rangue)
He played with the Kerry Minor Football team in 1953.
He won Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championships with Laune Rangers in 1958, ’63, ’66, ’67, ’69 & ’70.
He won Co. Club Championship and Towns’ Cup with Laune Rangers in 1966.
He was one of the pioneers of juvenile football in the club and county.
He produced the Trail-Blazers, a History of Laune Rangers, in 1988.



Laune Ranger Cup

There were five teams – Milltown/Castlemaine, Beaufort, Glenbeigh, Keel and Laune Rangers.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 20th Sept. at Killorglin: Glenbeigh beat Keel. Ref: James Coffey.

Semi-finals: Milltown/Castlemaine beat Beaufort.

Laune Rangers beat Glenbeigh.


Final on Sun. 25th Oct. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 3-6; Miltown/Castlemaine 1-3.

Laune Rangers (holders) brought the 1959 Mid-Kerry GAA season to a successful close when they defeated Milltown/Castlemaine in the Laune Rangers Cup final. Rangers opened brilliantly, when Batty Foley sent to the net after a minute’s play and led at the interval by 1-4 to 0-1. Milltown/Castlemaine improved after the resumption but their forwards failed to combine as effectively as the winners, who ran out deserving winners.

Outstanding for the Rangers were Patrick O Shea, Donal Mangan, Dan Sheehan, Noel O Mahony, Teddy Mangan, Johnny Looney, Batty Foley, Paddy Clifford and Pat O Shea. The losers were best served by John and Willie Burke, John Joe Ladden and Billy Kerins. After the game, Father Brian Kelly, Chairman Mid-Kerry Board, presented the cup to Pat O Shea, captain of the Laune Rangers.

Pat O Shea (Captain Laune Rangers) accepts the Laune Rangers’ Cup from Rev. Father Brian Kelly, Chairman Mid-Kerry Board, 1959.

Pat O Shea (Captain Laune Rangers) accepts the Laune Rangers’ Cup from Rev. Father Brian Kelly, Chairman Mid-Kerry Board, 1959.

Laune Ranger Cup winners – 1959

Laune Ranger Cup winners – 1959
Players – Kneeling (l to r): Dan Sheehan, Myles Coffey, Jackie O Dwyer.
Back: Seamus Naughton, Paudie Foley, Joe McMahon, Paddy Donal Clifford, Batty Foley, Pat O Shea (capt.), Teddy Mangan, Brian Corkery, Tony Lyons, Johnny Looney.


Senior Football Parish League

There were four teams, Over Laune (Steelroe, Dromin and Dungeel), Town, Caragh Lake/Farrentoreen and Cromane/Caragh Bridge. Teams were 13-a-side and the league was played on a single round basis with the top two teams playing in the final for the Clifford/Curtin Trophy.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 1st March: The Town 3-5; Caragh Lake/Farrentoreen 1-3.

Though Noel O Mahony was dominant at midfield, the Town forwards missed many chances. However, they led at the interval by 1-2 to 0-2. Best for the winners were Noel O Mahony, James Foley, Paul McMahon, Brian Corkery and Austin O Reilly. The losers were best served by Jackie O Dwyer, Denny O Reilly, Sean O Reilly, Pat O Shea, Patsy Hurley, Vincent Lucey and Pat Diggin.

Cromane/Caragh Bridge 5-2; Over Laune 1-8.

Paddy Clifford scored four goals for the winners. John Clifford, at fullback, his brother, Mike, at midfield, with B. Foley, T. Mangan and D. Keane were others who played well for the winners. Paudie Carroll was easily the best forward for the losers. He shot some beautiful points and, with a little more help, he could have saved the day for his side.


Sun. 22nd March: Over Laune v Caragh Lake/Farrentoreen.


Final on Sun. 13th Sept: The Town 1-4; Cromane/Caragh Bridge 1-3.

A youthful Town team claimed the Clifford/Curtin trophy against Cromane/Caragh Bridge. The winners played with the breeze in the first half and led at the interval by 1-2 to 0-1. Oustanding for the winners were Patrick O Shea, Donal Mangan, Tony Lyons, Joe McMahon, Johnny Looney, Noel O Mahony, Brian Corkery and Sean Falvey. Best for the losers were Paddy Clifford, John Clifford, Michael O Riordan, Dan Sheehan, Michael Teahan, Tadhg Corkery and Johnny Foley.

The Town: James Coffey (capt.), Myles Coffey, Johnny Looney, Vincent Tuohy, Sean Falvey, Donal Mangan, Joe McMahon, Noel O Mahony, Patrick O Shea, Brian Corkery, Tony Lyons, Austin O Reilly, James Foley. Subs: Michael O Connor, Paul McMahon and Denis O Neill.

Ref: John Foley (Dungeel).

The Town – Parish League Senior Football Champions 1959

The Town – Parish League Senior Football Champions 1959
Front (l to r): Patrick O Shea, James Coffey (capt.), Paul McMahon.
Middle: Brian Corkery, Joe McMahon, Tony Lyons, Austin O Reilly, Myles Coffey, Donal Mangan.
3rd Row: Johnny Looney, Noel O Mahony, Vincent Tuohy, Denis O Neill, Sean Falvey, James Foley.
The final was refereed by John Foley (Dungeel) – back centre.

Medal Tournament:

Sun. 8th Nov: The ‘Parish’ 1-5; The Town 0-4.

The Parish scored a goal in the first minute to give them a great start. The midfield exchanges were evenly contested but it was the greater finish of the Country’s forwards that finally gave them a deserved victory. Figuring at full-forward for the Town was international cyclist, Gene Mangan, playing in his first game of football since his schooldays. He was a constant source of worry to the Parish defence but he was unlucky with his scoring attempts. Outstanding for the winners were Teddy Mangan, Tadhg Corkery, Owen Mangan, P. O Connor, Jackie O Dwyer, Batty Foley, Paddy Clifford and John Langford. Best for the losers were Johnny Looney, Noel O Mahony, Patrick O Shea, Pat O Shea, Paul McMahon and Christy O Riordan.

Ref: John Foley (Dungeel).


Challenge/Tournament Games


Sun. 29th March at Killorglin: Laune Rangers lost to Valentia by two points.


Sun. 5th April: Laune Rangers took part in the Sneem seven-a-side competition. The cars left the Square at 11.30am. There were twelve teams and Dr. Crokes beat Sneem in the final.


Sun. 20th Sept. at Scartaglin: Laune Rangers beat Cordal by one point.

Sun. 18th Oct. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers v Cordal.


Co. Minor Football Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 28th June at Ballylongford: Mid-Kerry 1-7; Feale Rangers 1-5.

This was an impressive victory. The game was hard-fought and both sides served up a good display of football. Few supporters expected Mid-Kerry to win but the Launesiders played with great heart and deserved their victory. They had outstanding players in Liam Scully, Donal Mangan, James Harmon, Joe O Mahony, Noel O Mahony, Mikey Foley, Patrick O Shea, Tony McSweeney, Joe McMahon, Tom Prendergast and Pat McKenna. North Kerry was best served by Mick and T. Walsh, Whelan and Carmody.


Quarter-final on Sat. 25th July at Killorglin: John Mitchels 1-9; Mid-Kerry 1-7.

A controversial goal involving a spectator, three minutes from time, when Mid-Kerry appeared set for victory, decided the issue (There was no net and when the ball was put through the Mid-Kerry goal, Jackie Kerins, a spectator, judicially put out his foot and the ball rebounded back into play. However, the Mitchels players duly chased the offender and the score was allowed). For most of the game the exchanges were very exciting. The sides were level at the interval with four points each. The first quarter of the second half saw Mid-Kerry on top and they led by six points with twelve minutes to go. Then a great Mitchel’s rally, led by Alan Conway, brought the winning scores. Outstanding for the winners were Alan Conway, Willie Donovan, Seamus Roche, Roddy Day, John’Thorny’ O Shea, Junior Carroll and Paddy O Mahony. Mid-Kerry had gallant players in James Harmon, Pat McKenna, Donal Mangan, Tony Lyons, Tony McSweeney, Tom Prendergast, Patrick O Shea, Joe Sweeney, Liam Scully, Noel O Mahony and Joe O Mahony.

Ref: Christy Griffin (Castleisland).

Subsequently Mid-Kerry objected to John Mitchels on the grounds that one of their players was overage. However, a birth certificate was produced at the Co. Board meeting on Mon. 10th Aug. showing that the player was born on March 16th 1941 and the objection was withdrawn.


Mid-Kerry Minor Championship

There were two groups, with the top two teams in the final. Laune Rangers were grouped with Glenbeigh and the teams had to play home and away.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 29th March at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh beat Laune Rangers.

Rd. 2 on Fri. 3rd July at Killorglin: Glenbeigh beat Laune Rangers.

Final on Sun. 23rd Aug. at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 5-7; Milltown/Castlemaine 2-0. Ref: James Coffey.

That was Milltown/Castlemaine’s fourth unsuccessful final in a row

Mid-Kerry U-16 Championship

The competition was played on a knockout system. Eventually, only three teams took part, Laune Rangers, Glenbeigh and Beaufort.

Semi-final on Sun. 5th July at Beaufort: Laune Rangers 3-11; Beaufort 0-4.

The Laune Rangers panel was, Paudie Carroll (capt.), Tony Lyons, James Foley, Billy Dodd, Jim Barry, John Foley, Tom Foley, David Power, Denis O Neill, William O Reilly, Declan Mangan, Paul Lucey, Vincent Lucey, William Kennedy, Steve Joe Cahillane, Michael O Connor, Patsy Joy, John Joy and Paul McMahon.

Final on Sat. 15th Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 3-9; Glenbeigh 0-3.

The winners played with the breeze in the opening period and led at the interval by 0-5 to 0-0. They were also on top in the second half and their convincing victory entitled them to represent Mid-Kerry in the Co. Club U-16 Championship. Outstanding for the winners were Billy Dodd, Vincent Lucey, Paudie Carroll, Tom Foley, Tony Lyons and Paul McMahon. Best for Glenbeigh were Enda Scully, Jimmy Healy and Sullivan. Ref: Paddy Mick Foley (London).                                                                                                      At a subsequent Board meeting, Father Kelly wished Laune Rangers U-16 team every success in the Co. Championship. He said that they were a good team.


Mid-Kerry U-14 Championship

Laune Rangers was paired with Glenbeigh, in the better of two games.


Rd. 1 on Fri. 22nd May at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh lost to Laune Rangers.

Rd. 2: Laune Rangers received a walkover from Glenbeigh and consequently reached the final.


Final on Sun. 28th June at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 3-2; Milltown/Castlemaine 2-5.

This was a thrilling game of football of a high standard and a draw was a fitting result. The visitors led by 1-1 to 1-0 at the interval. Outstanding for the Rangers were Paul Lucey, Steve Joe Cahillane, Seamus Curran, William Kennedy, Patsy Joy, Benny Harris and Stephen Corkery (capt.). Miltown/Castlemaine were best served by Riordan, Dan Doyle, Kelliher, Gerald McCarthy and Sullivan.


Final (replay) on Wed. 1st July at Castlemaine: Laune Rangers 5-3; Milltown/Castlemaine 2-3.

Laune Rangers regained the title. Outstanding for them were Paul Lucey, Benny Harris, Steve Joe Cahillane, William Kennedy, Pat Diggin (Cromane), Seamus Curran, Stephen Corkery and Patsy Joy. Best for the losers were Gerald McCarthy, Kelliher, Dan Doyle and Hurley.


Mid-Kerry took part in the U-14 Co. Championship but lost to South Kerry.


Schools/Colleges Football


Munster Vocational Schools’ Football

Rd. 1 at the end of April at Killarney: Kerry 3-10; Cork 2-1.

Vincent Lucey played at right halfback.


Final on Sat. 23rd May at Killarney: Kerry 7-10; Cork 4-4.

Vincent Lucey played at centre halfback.


Kerry Vocational Schools’ U-16.5 Competition

At the end of April at Killarney: Killarney 2-4; Killorglin 2-3.

Right up to the final whistle, the game was fraught with excitement – a missed penalty for Killarney, shots coming off the uprights and crossbars and a goal on the final whistle, which gave the Killarney boys victory. Until halftime, Killarney was at sixes and sevens and at the short whistle were led by 2-2 to 0-2. However, after the resumption, the home side piled on the pressure, but were constantly wide or had the best efforts thwarted by a very fine fullback, Paul McMahon. Just on fulltime, with Killorglin leading by two points, Kevin Coleman fisted the all-important goal to snatch victory from their grasp. Best for Killorglin were Paul McMahon, at fullback, and the halfback line of Vincent Lucey, Donie Looney and Paudie Carroll.

Killorglin: Pat Ferris, S. O Shea, Paul McMahon, Dermot O Riordan, Vincent Lucey, Donie Looney, Paudie Carroll, T. McGillycuddy, Michael ‘Mackey’ Conway, S. O Foirt, Billy Kerins, Tom Prendergast (capt.), Paul Lucey, Denis O Neill, S. O Sullivan. Subs: S. Houlihan, P. Moriarty, S. O Brien, S. O Sullivan.

Ref: Jackie Lyne (Killarney).


Kerry Colleges’ Senior Championship (O Sullivan Cup)

Final on Sun. 1st March O Sullivan Cup: St. Brendan’s, Killarney 0-11; CBS, Tralee 0-5.

In winning, St. Brendan’s retained the O Sullivan Cup. Pat Ahern, Ballymacelligott, played at midfield for the winners.


Munster Minor Football Championship


Semi-final on Sun. 5th July at Killarney: Kerry 1-10; Clare 1-4.

Pat Ahern, Ballymacelligott, played at right halfback.


Final on Sun. 19th July in Killarney: Kerry 0-7; Cork 2-7.

Pat Ahern retained his position at right halfback.




Dr. Joe Stuart, Áth Cliath, was Uachtaran CLG.


Munster Council Convention was held in Clare (Rineanna) on 28th Feb. Jerry O Keeffe, Tiobrad Árainn, was Chairman, Sean McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


Co. Convention was held in the Ashe Memorial Hall, Tralee on Sun. 25th Jan. 184 delegates attended. Michael Morris represented Killorglin Football Club. James Coffey was one of the Iveragh Hurling Club delegates. The following officers were elected: President – Very Rev. Canon TJ Lyne; Chairman – Frank Sheehy (115 votes), Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan (66 votes); Vice-Chairman – Jack Lawlor (99 votes), Paddy Drummy (82); Secretary – Tadhg Crowley; Treasurers – Tadhg Prendiville (122 votes),  Pat O Meara (132), Jerry Flynn (71); Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan; Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc. Senior Football Selection Committee – Johnny Walsh (133 votes), Paddy Bawn Brosnan (125), Jackie Lyne (109), Brendan O Shea (102), John Joe Sheehy (101), all elected. The other candidates were Con Geaney (89), Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan (82), Murt Kelly (77), JJ Landers (39), Bob Stack (26) and Maurice Fuller (12). James Coffey was elected as a member of Co. Senior Hurling Selection Committee, with John Joe O Sullivan (Ballyheigue), Jimmy Flaherty (Lixnaw), Denis P O Sullivan (Kilgarvan) and Jackie Power (Stacks). A motion from Killorglin Football Club ‘that the Co. Minor Football Championship be run on the same basis as the Co. Senior Football Championship,’ was lost. The Intermediate Football Co. Championship was revived, to be played on a knockout basis and to be competed for by District Boards. It was further decided to set up a General Purposes Committee within the Co. Board. That was done at a Co. Board meeting early in the year and it comprised the officers of the Board. Its remit was to deal with matters of finance and objections.

A meeting of parties interested in the promotion of hurling in the county was held in the Grand Hotel, Tralee on Tues. 3rd Feb. James Coffey represented the Killorglin area. It was decided to commence U-13 and U-16 competitions


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the Muintir na Tíre Hall, Milltown on Sun. 14th Dec. 1958. Delegates attended from Keel, Beaufort, Killorglin, Glenbeigh and Milltown/Castlemaine. Father Kelly presided. Before the meeting commenced, Father McCloskey welcomed the delegates to Milltown for the convention. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1958). The Chairman, in his address, said that they could look back on a very successful year. Many games were played and all the competitions were completed. He said that every youth and man between the ages of ten and forty were catered for by the Board. He said that the little differences that had cropped up during the year had been ironed out without any difficulty at the Board meetings. He said that Mid-Kerry might not be as successful in the Co. Championship. However, the teams, and especially the minor team, gave a very good account of itself. Lack of experience proved costly to the minors. They put up a great show in the Co. Semi-final and, if they had a few practice matches, the chances were that they could have won out in Kerry. Father Kelly said that the seniors had left the Board down. They got the opportunities that the minors were deprived of. Before the first round game, they had played three practice games but they were just shocking on the day. However, they redeemed themselves against Kerins O Rahilly’s. He said that he left the field proud of the fact that Mid-Kerry was as good as any team in Kerry even though they could not boast of having county stars on the side. He said that the Board had done its best but if Mid-Kerry were to get anywhere, the players should do a bit of training before the games and not to be looking to the Board for everything. He said that the fact that the players were looking at the Co. Championship as a joke was costing Mid-Kerry dearly. Concluding, he thanked all the officers of the Board for their great work during the year.

The Treasurer’s Report showed a credit balance of £35-16-10.There were still some unpaid bills amounting to £11(approx.). Jimmmy O Doherty proposed the adoption of the Secretary’s and Treasurer’s reports. Michael Shanahan seconded. The following officers were elected:

Chairman – Father Kelly; Vice-Chairman – Father McCloskey; Hon. Secretary – James Coffey; Assistant Hon. Secretary – Peter Gill (Michael Shanahan withdrew); Hon. Treasurer – Michael Morris; Delegate to Co. Board – Murt Kelly.

Father Kelly thanked the Board for returning him for another year. He said that it was a good sign to see almost all the officers returned unopposed. He asked the clubs for the same co-operation for the coming year. There were seventeen motions down for consideration and the following were carried:

1)     ‘That the Mid-Kerry League start not earlier than 8th March and end not later than the last Sunday in August.’ (Glenbeigh). It was decided that, if at all possible, the league would end on the last Sunday in August but the final could be postponed until a later date if the Board decided to do so.

2)     ‘That the first round of the minor league be played on Easter Sunday.’ (Killorglin).

3)     ‘That the first round of the U-16 league be played during the Easter holidays.’ (Killorglin) It was decided to run off that league with the Senior League.

4)     ‘That the U-14 league commences immediately after the Easter holidays and end before the 1st July.’ (Killorglin).

5)     ‘That if Milltown/Castlemaine and Killorglin meet in the final of the Senior League, the Minor League and the Laune Rangers Cup in one year, a toss will be made for the venue of the first final, which would be played in Milltown or Killorglin. The second final would be played at the venue of the club, which had lost the toss for the first final. There would then be a toss for the venue for the Laune Rangers Cup final.’ (Milltown/Castlemaine).

6)     ‘That where a referee has to travel four miles or more outside his own parish, he be allowed 10/- for car hire, provided that his expenses are not covered already by the Board.’ (Killorglin).

7)     ‘That the rule regarding ‘closed days’, be strictly adhered to.’ (Kilorglin). The Secretary was instructed to write to the F.C.A. for a list of field days.

8)     ‘That if a club fails to collect a gate at its own venue for senior games, it be deprived of travelling expenses for its next away game.’

9)     ‘That the Mid-Kerry team be called Laune Rangers.’ The delegates were instructed to find out their clubs’ feelings on the matter and it would be put before the first meeting of the new Board.

10)   ‘That the Mid-Kerry senior and minor teams be brought together for practice for four days prior to the Co. Championship, if it was financially possible.’ (Killorglin).

11)   ‘That the project for the erection of the new park (Paddy Burke Memorial Park) in Milltown receive the full support of every club in Mid-Kerry.’ (Milltown/Castlemaine). Father McCloskey and Brother Justin spoke on the motion. They asked all the Mid-Kerry clubs to support their functions. They said that it would be a great help to them if the Mid-Kerry Board gave them a subscription. It was decided to give a subscription of £5 to the committee in charge.


The minutes of nine Mid-Kerry Board meetings are available.

Father Kelly presided at the Board meeting in the CYMS Hall on 10th Feb. Delegates attended from Beaufort, Milltown/Castlemaine, Glenbeigh and Killorglin. Two letters were read, both from Laune Rangers Club. The first letter informed the Board that the Laune Rangers team was to enter for the Kerry Intermediate Championship. The second letter asked that no action be taken regarding motion No. 9, which was discussed at the AGM. The letter also stated that the club would withdraw the Kennedy Cup from competition unless the finals were played in Killorglin each year. The club pointed out that a set of rules governed the cup and one of the rules stated that the final of the competition would be played in Killorglin each year. There was a long discussion on the matter. No one knew how Mid-Kerry got possession of the cup. According to the rules, Keel, Listry and Killorglin had an equal claim on the cup. The Board advised the three clubs to meet and to decide something definite. If the Kennedy Cup was withdrawn, it was decided, on the proposal of Murt Kelly and seconded by Teddy Mangan, that the Laune Rangers Cup would be put up for the Senior Championship. The Treasurer said that the Board was not in a sound financial position. Since the AGM, they had to pay £15-1-0 to the Co. Board. It was decided to pay £1-6-2 to the Irish Press and £1-5-0 to T. O Sullivan, Milltown. There was then a balance of £10 (approx.). It was decided not to pay the subscription of £5 to the Paddy Burke Memorial Park Committee until later in the year. The draws were made for the Mid-Kerry championship, played on a league basis.

The meeting of 10th March was attended by Father Kelly, Jerry O Riordan, Michael Morris and James Coffey. Further senior fixtures and some minor fixtures were made. Father Kelly presided at the meeting in the CYMS on 14th April. Delegates attended from Keel, Glenbeigh and Killorglin. Referees’ reports were dealt with and further senior fixtures were made. Present at the Board meeting on 12th May in the CYMS were Father Kelly and delegates from Keel, Glenbeigh, Killorglin and Milltown/Castlemaine. Further senior and juvenile fixtures were made. The Treasurer reported that the Board had a credit balance of £11-3-2. It was decided not to pay £1 to the CYMS caretaker until later in the year. It was, also, decided not to give Beaufort any more home games as the Board was losing heavily on travelling expenses. It was pointed out that Beaufort owed the Board £9 approx. and that it should be refunded in some way.

Father Kelly presided at the Board meeting in the CYMS on 9th June. A raft of senior, minor, juvenile and U-16 fixtures were made. Arrangements were made for the Co. Senior Football Championship game v Feale Rangers in Ballylongford. Joe Cournane would take the Keel players. Murt Kelly would take Sean Cahill, Jackie Kerins, Michael O Connor and John Joe Ladden. Father Kelly and Jerry O Riordan would take the Glenbeigh players. Paddy Clifford and Michael Morris would take the Killorglin players. Each car would be allowed petrol expenses. The Secretary was instructed to order a meal for the team at the lowest rate possible.

The meeting of 30th July in the CYMS, chaired by Father Kelly, was devoted almost exclusively to fixture making. However, it was decided, on the information to hand, to lodge an objection against John Mitchels on the grounds that they played an overage player against Mid-Kerry in the Minor Co. Championship.

Father Kelly presided at the Board meeting in the CYMS on 26th Aug. Delegates from Keel, Milltown/Castlemaine and Killorglin attended. The Milltown/Castlemaine delegate, Thomas Hurley,  protested against Laune Rangers for playing Paddy O Reilly, who had not been home before 1st April. The Laune Rangers delegate requested that the Board would pay car expenses for the transport of the Laune Rangers players to the Co. Minor Championship game, Mid-Kerry v John Mitchels. The Board pointed out that each club was responsible for its players for all games and no expenses were paid.

Delegates from Keel and Killorglin attended at the Board meeting in the CYMS on 10th Sept. at which Father Kelly presided. Draws for the Laune Rangers Cup were made. James Coffey was appointed Treasurer as Michael Morris had resigned (He had emigrated to England). Delegates paid tribute to Mr. Morris for the good work he had done during his term as Treasurer. The first round and one semi-final was fixed and it was left to the teams concerned to fix a venue and appoint a referee for the remaining semi-final.

Father McCloskey presided at the Board meeting in the CYMS Hall on 13th Oct. Delegates attended from Keel, Killorglin and Milltown/Castlemaine. Arrangements for the final of the Laune Rangers Cup were made. The following bills were sanctioned for payment: Glenbeigh Club – £8-8-0; Laune Rangers Club – £2-16-0; Keel Club – £9-12-0; Milltown/Castlemaine Club – £8-4-0; James Coffey (Refereeing expenses) – £1-0-0; CYMS Caretaker (1958/’59) – £2-0-0; CYMS Committee (use of hall) – £1-0-0; Joe Cournane (car expenses) – £3-0-0.


Whereas Murt Kelly represented the Mid-Kerry Board at Co. Board leve3l, Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers), was the delegate at the meeting of 10th Aug.


The minutes of 11 Laune Rangers Club meetings are available.

The meeting on 13th Dec. 1958 in the CYMS Hall was presided over by John Foley. Also in attendance were James Coffey, Father O Riordan, Kevin Foley, Paddy Foley, Joe McMahon, Pat O Shea, M. O Connell and Patsy Hurley. The Secretary informed the meeting that the club was entitled to two other delegates to represent the ‘B’ team at Co. Convention – Pat O Shea and James Coffey were appointed. After a discussion, it was decided not to enter a team for the Co. Championship.

John Foley presided at the club meeting on 10th Jan. in the CYMS Hall. Also in attendance were James Coffey, Teddy Mangan, Paddy Foley, Kevin Foley, Batty Foley, Michael Morris, Pat O Shea, Donal Mangan, Denny O Reilly, Michael McMahon, Patsy Hurley and Paudie Carroll. It was decided to start the Parish League on Sun. 8th Feb. The teams were Over Laune, Town, Cromane/Caragh Bridge and Caragh Lake/Farrentoreen. Over Laune were allowed to select players from Sunhill, while Reen and Gurrane players would line out with Cromane/Caragh Bridge. Teams would be 13-a-side and the competition would be played on a singe round basis, with the top two teams playing in the final. It was decided to inform the Mid-Kerry Board that unless the Mid-Kerry Senior League Final was played in Killorglin, the Kennedy Cup would be withdrawn from the competition. It was also decided not to allow the Mid-Kerry teams to be called Laune Rangers. On the proposal of James Coffey, seconded by Donal Mangan, it was unanimously decided to enter the Co. Championship. The Treasurer would be responsible for all car-hire during the year. The club would run its Annual Biddy Ball on 1st Feb. with prize money of £10. Admission would be 3/6, with a reduction to 3/- per head for groups of ten or more. The band would be paid £12.

Present at the club meeting on 6th Feb. in the CYMS Hall were John Foley (Chairman), James Coffey, Paddy Foley, Kevin Foley, Michael Morris, Michael McMahon, T. Corkery and Pat Diggin. The meeting decided to enter a team for the Intermediate Co. Championship and not to take part in the Senior Co. Championship as a club. There was a bill for over £11 before the meeting from Willie Sweeney, Caragh Bridge, for the transport of Killorglin players during 1958. The Secretary said that the bill was too high and that it was not correct. It was decided that the Treasurer would write to Sweeney for further particulars regarding dates, names of players, etc.

John Foley presided at the club meeting in the CYMS Hall on 20th March. Also present were James Coffey, Father O Riordan, Patrick O Shea, Pat O Shea, Kevin Foley, Sean Foley, Batty Foley, Teddy Mangan and Owen Mangan. Arrangements were made for challenge games v Valentia on 29th March, the Sneem 7-a-side Tournament (2 teams from Laune Rangers) and v Templemore in April. For the latter, each player would pay 5/- towards the expenses. The following stewards were appointed for the game v Valentia: Michael Morris, Bertie Harmon, Mike McMahon, Michael Moriarty, Sean Foley, Patsy Hurley and Teddy Mangan. A Parish League fixture was made.

The following attended the club meeting on 12th May in the CYMS Hall: John Foley (Chairman), James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Patrick O Shea, Teddy Mangan, Michael Morris, Austin O Reilly, Denny O Reilly, Denis O Neill and Noel O Mahony. It was decided to accept the CYMS offer of a dance on 7th June on a 50/50 basis, after all expenses had been paid. The Secretary was told that, at the previous meeting, the members had not been sure of the set up for the dance in the Oisín Ballroom on 17th May and so they decided not to take the dance.

Present at the club meeting in the CYMS hall on 23rd May were John Foley, Chairman, James Coffey, Michael Morris, Teddy Mangan, Pat O Shea, Pat Diggin, Paudie Carroll, Kevin Foley, Denny O Reilly, Paul McMahon, Ollie O Brien and Denis O Neill. A long discussion was held on the question of transport for the senior, minor, U-16 and juvenile teams. It was decided to allow players, and club members, petrol money for cars travelling to games, provided that they bring other players. It was also decided that, if a car or cars would be hired, the club should ensure that every car owner would be hired in turn so that there could not be criticism afterwards.

Michael Morris, Vice-Chairman, presided at the club meeting in the CYMS on 27th June. Also in attendance were Father O Riordan, Paddy Foley, Kevin Foley, Patsy Hurley, Teddy Mangan, John Foley, Austin O Reilly, Denny O Reilly, Pat Diggin and Pat O Shea. After some discussion, it was decided, on the proposition of Paddy Foley, seconded by John Foley, that the Hon. Treasurer would pay no money to anyone unless authorised by the club to do so. It was decided to hold a special meeting on the following Tuesday night and to request the attendance of the Hon. Secretary, when the following matters would be discussed:

(1)    Appointment of persons to take gate collections.

(2)    Gate taken at Valentia v Laune Rangers game on Easter Sunday.

(3)    Making of presentation not authorised by the club.

John Foley presided at the special meeting of the club in the CYMS on 30th June. The following also attended: Jame Coffey, Father O Riordan, Michael Morris, Paddy Foley, Kevin Foley, Patsy Hurley, Sean Foley, Pat O Shea, Patrick O Shea, Brian Corkery, Joe McMahon, Teddy Mangan, P. O Connor and Denis Moroney. After a long discussion, Father O Riordan proposed that gate collectors should be appointed by the club for all games. Michael Morris seconded. The following collectors were appointed for 12th July: Michael Morris, Paddy Foley, Brian Corkery, Mike McMahon, Joe McMahon, Bertie Harmon, Patsy Hurley, John Foley and Sean Foley. It was decided to hold meetings every two weeks. As regards the preparation of the field for games, it was pointed out that the grass needed cutting. It was decided to get some local with a tractor to do so. Mike McMahon was appointed to line the field. Father O Riordan proposed that the club, and not the Field Committee, should loose to the expenses of the preparation of the field for games. Teddy Mangan was appointed to look after the jerseys. The Secretary told the meeting that £4-15-0 had been taken at the Valentia v Laune Rangers game but, as the Treasurer had been away, he had kept it. He had sold two hurleys at 3/- each, which had left him with £5-1-0. When he had heard that Liam Gannon was being transferred, he had used £5 on a presentation, which Noel Kingston and he had made on behalf of the Hurling Club Dramatic Society. He pointed out that, due to the short notice of Liam Gannon’s transfer, there had been no time to call a meeting of the club to ask for permission to do so. The question of the hurlers’ expenses also arose. The Secretary said that the minors and seniors playing with Iveragh were not costing the club a penny. However, the club would have to loose to an U-16 team in the town and an U-14 team. That would not amount to much except for the cost of hurleys, if the Co. Board paid for the transport but he was not sure of that. Kevin Foley proposed that an extraordinary general meeting be called and that the £14 handed over by the Hurling Club at the AGM, be refunded. James Coffey seconded. The question of ownership of the jerseys also arose. The Secretary said that the jerseys would have to be given back with the £14 but the members did not agree with that. Pat O Shea proposed that the club would stay as it was as regards the Hurling Club. Teddy Mangan seconded. Father O Riordan proposed that the hurling and football sides should stick together. Kevin Foley withdrew his proposition. The Secretary asked for permission to form a sub-committee to look after hurling. Father O Riordan proposed that the club would look after the hurling affairs. Sean Foley seconded. Brian Corkery proposed that a sub-committee be formed. James Coffey seconded. Father O Riordan said that he would withdraw his proposition if the sub-committee was made up of members of the club. That was agreed and he withdrew his proposition. (At a meeting of the club in July, Michael Morris was appointed Secretary, as James Coffey had resigned).

John Foley presided at the club meeting in the CYMS on 19th Sept. Present also were Father O Riordan, Paddy Foley, Sean Foley, Denis O Neill, Denny O Reilly, Johnny McCarthy, Sean Falvey and Pat O Shea (acting Secretary). It was decided to run a dance to help the financial difficulties of the club. All bills were paid with the exception of Willie Sweeney and Ms. Moriarty – further details on those bills were awaited. Arrangements were made for the challenge game v Cordal on the following day. The following collectors were appointed for the church gate collection in aid of the Kerry Team Training Fund: 8.00am – Sean Falvey and James Coffey; 10.00am – John Foley, Paddy Foley and Pat O Shea; 12.00 – Paddy Foley and Sean Foley. (Michael Morris had emigrated to England and had resigned his position as Secretary/Treasurer of the club. Pat O Shea was appointed in his place).

Present at the meeting in the CYMS on 3rd Oct. were John Foley, Chairman, Pat O Shea, Father O Riordan, Patrick O Shea, Teddy Mangan, Austin O Reilly, Donal Mangan, Kevin Foley, Paddy Foley and Patsy Hurley. It was decided to run a dance in the CYMS on 15th Oct. – music by the Rhythm Aces. A discussion on the method of distributing All-Ireland tickets was deferred until the AGM. The system of electing officers was left unchanged.

In attendance at the club meeting in the CYMS on 17th Oct. were John Foley, Chairman, Pat O Shea, Father O Riordan, Patrick O Shea, Teddy Mangan, Austin O Reilly, Donal Mangan, Kevin Foley, Paddy Foley, Patsy Hurley, Myles Coffey and Owen Mangan. It was decided to have a tournament between the ‘Town’ and the ‘Country’ for a set of medals and each player would pay 2/- towards the cost of the medals. The club’s financial position was still a cause for concern.


A strong representation of the youth of Killorglin town and parish were present at a meeting, during the second week of July, in the CYMS Hall when a local minor and juvenile hurling club was formed. The following were elected officers of the new club, which intended to reorganise hurling in the area: Chairman – James Coffey; Vice-Chairmen – Maurice Geary and Teddy Mangan; Secretaries – Tony Lyons and P. Connell; Treasurers – Pat Callanan and Jim Barry. Committee – Declan Mangan, John Foley, James Foley, Tom Foley, Billy Dodd, Pat Diggin, John Diggin, Michael Houlihan, Patrick O Shea, Francis Mulvihill, Jackie Kerins, J. Clifford and Christy Jones. It was decided to start an U-14 and Minor league and to enter teams in the U-14 and U-16 Co. Championships.


At the Co. Board meeting on Fri. 20th March in the Grand Hotel, Tralee, the transfer of Gerald Stack from Duagh to Laune Rangers was sanctioned.

At the Co. Board meeting in the CYMS Hall, Tralee on Tues. 16th June, Johnny Looney’s transfer from John Mitchels to Killorglin (Laune Rangers) was sanctioned.

At the Co. Board meeting in the CYMS Hall, Tralee on 17th July, Frank Murphy’s transfer from Valentia to Killorglin (Laune Rangers) was sanctioned.


In Jan. 1959, the death took place of Florence O Doherty, Ardmoniel, who was the last surviving member of the Laune Rangers team that played in the All-Ireland Final in 1892 (played in 1893). Past and present Laune Rangers, as well as club officers, formed a guard of honour at the funeral from St. James’s Church to Dromavalla.


The J. P. O Sullivan Memorial Park Committee decided to enclose the field with a wall and, to that end, a 20 weeks sweep was organised. By the 22nd March, they were in a position to make the first draw. Here were the names of some of the weekly winners:

1st Jackie Kerins, Callanfersy; 2nd Jack Leane, Farrentoreen; 3rd Denis Murphy, Callanfersy.

1st Mick Ahern, Tullig; 2nd John Mulvihill, The Square, 3rd Joe O Riordan, Gurrane.

1st Mollie Lyne, Ballycleave; 2nd Mrs. Mikey Mangan, Steelroe; 3rd Michael Moroney, The Lake, Cromane.

1st Moss Reidy, Mill Road; 2nd Tom Houlihan, Mill Road; 3rd Jeremiah Rahilly, Stookisland.

1st Mary Courtney, Milltown; 2nd Patrick Moriarty, Sunhill; 3rd Sheila O Neill, Iveragh Road.

1st Michael Kelly, Ballycleave; 2nd Batt Doyle, Laharn; 3rd Tom O Sullivan, Steelroe.

1st Michael J. O Sullivan, Sunhill; 2nd Sheila Cahillane, West Laharn; 3rd Mrs. Clifford, Main St.

1st Sean O Riordan, Langford St; 2nd Dave Griffin, Gurrane West; 3rd Donal Moroney, Dunmaniheen.

1st Charles O Sullivan, Knockavota; 2nd Patrick O Sullivan, Steelroe; 3rd Jeremiah O Sullivan, Callanfersy.

1st Annie Wharton, Dungeel; 2nd Paddy Sheehan, Reen; 3rd Emily West, New Cottages.

1st Euge Lynch, CIE, Glenbeigh; 2nd Teddy O Sullivan, Brookhill; 3rd John Diggin, The Lake.

1st Dan McCarthy, Sunhill; 2nd Teresa Fitzpatrick, Upper Bridge St; 3rd Mrs. Michael Keane, Annadale Road.

1st Michael O Shea (jnr.), Rangue; 2nd Tom McGillycuddy, Main St; Kevin McCarthy, Langford St.

1st Morgan O Sullivan, Meanus; 2nd Mrs. J.J. Carey, Tullig; 3rd Mrs. T. O Riordan, Reen.

1st Sheila Murphy, Steelroe; 2nd Kevin Foley, Iveragh Road; 3rd Patsy Joy, Bansha.

1st Tim J. Clifford, Callanfersy; 2nd Ms. Riordan, Rangue; 3rd Batt Doyle, Laharn.

The final draw was held on Fri. 7th Aug. in the CYMS Hall. Rev. Father O Riordan C.C., Chairman presided. Also present were Rev. Father Stack C.C.; Paddy Foley, Vice-Chairman; Tod Mulvihill and Paddy Crowley, Treasurers; James Coffey, Secretary, and Sergeant J. Nolan. Father O Riordan thanked the promoters, collectors and subscribers for making the draw the great success it had been. He hoped that if the committee had to appeal again for funds, the people of the parish would respond as generously. The prize-winners were as follows: £20 – F. Lynch, CIE, Glenbeigh; £10 each to Margaret Sweeney, The Lake, and Dermot Twiss, Callanfersy; £5 each to Norma Prendiville, Sunhill, Peg O Sullivan, Dunmaniheen, Kitty Clifford, School Road, Michael O Riordan, Farrentoreen, Mícheál O Donoghue, Killorglin N. S. and Pat O Shea, Rangue.

The front wall was built by Mick McCarthy, The Square (contractor) and cost £1,000. Due to the fact that it was very difficult to find a proper foundation, a large portion of the wall had to be built underground, adding to the overall cost of the project.


The J.P. O Sullivan Memorial Park Committee organised a ‘31’card-drive in the CYMS Hall on Sun. 29th Nov. in an effort to raise funds to continue the improvements to the Park. The playing pitch would be leveled and enclosed. A record crowd of enthusiasts attended. The prize money was £25.


Peter Gill played with Naomh Mhuire, London, in 1959 and was their leading scorer.


On Sun. 10th May at Croke Park, Kerry, captained by John Dowling, won the National Football League by defeating Derry on the score of 2-8 to 1-8.


Kerry won the Munster Senior Football Championship by beating Cork by 2-15 to 2-8. Kerry beat Dublin in the All-Ireland semi-final by 1-10 to 2-5 and, captained by Mick O Connell, they won their nineteenth All-Ireland Senior title by beating Galway by 3-7 to 1-4.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty (Legion), Jerome O Shea (St. Mary’s), Niall Sheehy (John Mitchels), Tim Lyons (Cordal), Sean Murphy (Aunascaul), Kevin Coffey (Beaufort), Mick O Dwyer (Waterville), Mick O Connell (Valentia) capt., Seamus Murphy (Aunascaul), Dan McAuliffe (Duagh), Tom Long (Gaeltacht), Paudie Sheehy (John Mitchels), Dave Geaney (Desmonds), John Dowling (Kerins O Rahillys), Tadhgie Lyne (Dr. Crokes). Subs: Jack Dowling (Castlegregory) for T. Lyons, Moss O Connell (O Dorney) for M. O Connell, Gary McMahon (Emmetts) for D. Geaney, Tom Collins (Kilmoyley), Paddy Hussey (Dingle).


Kerry lost the All-Ireland Home Junior Football Final to Fermanagh on Sun. 20th Sept. in Croke Park on the score-line of 1-13 to 2-3.

Kerry: Terry McQuinn (Ballymac), Paddy O Donoghue (Desmonds), Sean Lovett (Kilmoyley), Mícheál Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), John O Connor (Valentia), Tom Collins (Kilmoyley), Pat Dowling (Castlegregory), Jimmy Redpath (Legion), Jer D. O Connor (Ballydonoghue), Paddy Hussey (Dingle), Gary Clifford (Kerins O Rahillys), Jackie Looney (Dr. Crokes), Brendan Galvin (John Mitchels), Brian Sheehy (John Mitchels), Teddy Dowd (do.). Subs: Jim Sugrue (Portmagee), Frank Guerin (Tarbert), Gene Driscoll (Aunascaul), Ned Purtill (Ballydonoghue), Michael Enright (Ballylongford).


Semi-final of Munster Minor Football Championship on Sun. 5th July at Killarney: Kerry 1-10; Clare 1-4. Pat Ahern, Ballymacelligott, played at right halfback.

Final on Sun. 19th July in Killarney: Kerry 0-7; Cork 2-7.

Kerry: Weeshie Fogarty (Legion), Jack Whelan (St. Senan’s), Alan Conway (John Mitchels), Tom O Connor (Kenmare), Pat Ahern (Ballymac), Pat Dowling (Castlegregory), Pa Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), John Ashe (Dingle), Aengus Fanning (Austin Stacks), Ollie Kerins (Emmett’s), S. Garvey (Dingle), Seamus Roche (John Mitchels), Mick Walsh (Emmett’s), Rupert Swan (Ardfert), John O Shea (John Mitchels). Subs: Tom Brown (Desmonds), Liam Scully (Glenbeigh), Liam Fitzgerald (John Mitchels), J. Sheehan (Legion), Matt Keane (Kenmare).


CIE put on special trains for the All-Ireland series. Typical was the train that ran for the All-Ireland semi-final on Sun. 16th Aug. – Departed Valentia Harbour at 05.10, departed Killorglin at 06.37 and arrived at Kingsbridge Station, Dublin at 12.30. There was a break in Killarney to allow people to attend at Mass. The train-fare from Killorglin to Dublin was £1-14-9.


Overshadowing all local events of the week was the royal welcome given to the Sam Maguire Cup, when it passed through Killorglin on Friday night, Oct. 2nd. Steve Foley and John Clifford had many willing helpers in building a massive bonfire at the Laune Bridge entrance to the town. The Square again had its blazing fire and huge throngs, led by the Laune Pipers Band, followed the cup through the streets.


Jubilant scenes were witnessed in Killorglin National School in the third week of Oct. and duplicated in all adjoining national schools, when the initiative of Mid-Kerry Board Secretary, James Coffey, and Pat O Shea, made it possible for the children of the parish to view the Sam Maguire Cup at close range, by bringing it to each school. Most of the children had never before seen it. On Thurs. night, 24th Oct., the Cup was a feature display by the Laune Rangers Club in the CYMS Hall.


Laune Rangers held their Annual Social in the Oisín Ballroom on 31st Dec. Medals were presented to the senior, U-16 and U-14 teams, which had won the respective Mid-Kerry titles. The Parish team was presented with their gold medals.


James Coffey refereed the following games for the Co. Board:

Thurs. 16th July, Minor Hurling Championship at Cahersiveen: Iveragh lost to St. Brendan’s.

Sun. 19th July, Senior Hurling Championship at Cahersiveen: Iveragh 4-1; Kilflynn 6-4.

Sun. 6th Sept, Minor Football Final at Tralee: West-Kerry 1-8; Kenmare 1-5.


James Coffey refereed the following Mid-Kerry games in 1959:

Sun. 12th July Senior League at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh v Milltown.

Sun. 23rd Aug. Minor Final at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 5-7; Milltown/Castlemaine 2-0.

Sun. 30th Aug. Senior League at Keel: Keel v Milltown/Castlemaine.

Sun. 20th Sept. Laune Rangers Cup at Killorglin: Glenbeigh beat Keel; Milltown beat Beaufort.


Christy O Riordan refereed the following Mid-Kerry games:

Sun. 15th March Senior League at Keel: Keel v Glenbeigh.

Sun. 21st June Senior League at Castlemaine: Keel v Milltown.


On Thurs. 19th Nov., St. Finan’s Hospital team won the Connolly Cup (The All-Ireland inter-psychiatric hospital championship) by defeating St. Mary’s, Castlebar in the final by 1-6 to 0-2 in Croke Park. Tadhgie Reilly (Farrentoreen) and Paddy O Callaghan (Glosha) were on the panel.


West-Kerry, captained by Pat Dowling, won the Co. Minor Football Championship, on Sun. 6th Sept at Tralee, by beating Kenmare by 1-8 to 1-5.


On 7th June, in the presence of Sean T. O Kelly, Uachtarán na hÉireann, the new Hogan Stand, a magnificent double-decker construction running the whole length of the western side of Croke Park, was officially opened by Dr. Joe Stuart, Uachtarán CLG.


Early in Feb. patrons were very disappointed to learn of the decision of the Hurling Club’s Dramatic Society to cancel the arrangements that they had made for their annual play during Lent. Rehearsals had been in progress for some weeks. Instead it was decided to call a meeting to form a new dramatic society.


Kerry won the Munster Senior Basketball Championship by beating Cork by 20 points to 19 in Gurranebraher Hall, Cork. Donal Prendiville and Brian Corkery were on the team.


In the first week of March, Gene Mangan left the Irish cycling scene and headed for France to devote all his time to the sport at which he had distinguished himself at home. He had been a member of the National Cycling Association (N.C.A.) before he left. That association was a thirty-two county association. There was another cycling body in Ireland at the time, the C.R.E., representative of the twenty-six counties and which was the body that was recognised abroad as the official cycling body. Both associations had been at loggerheads for the previous twenty years. Mangan said that, ‘I want to try and establish recognition abroad for the N.C.A. Nobody on the continent understands the position of cycling in Ireland. I want to tell them that the N.C.A. is an All-Ireland body with clubs in each of the thirty-two counties. I also want to tell them that the C.R.E., which is the officially recognised body, is completely unrepresentative of Irish cycling. I will do my best to explain the position and end the injustice to the major body of Irish cyclists.’ However, because he had not applied to the C.R.E. for a license before he went to France, the Union Cycliste Internationale (U.C.I.) banned him from riding on the continent.


At the end of May, the death took place of Michael Begley, Kilternan, Co. Dublin. A native of Ballykissane, where his father Patsy, was still alive, he was a member of a well-known Kerry republican and nationalist family. He was enrolled in the Volunteers in Limerick by Captain Monteith and later served in Kerry, Wicklow, Louth and finally with the 6th Battalion Dublin Brigade. He was arrested by the British forces during the War of Independence and, later, by Free State Forces following the Treaty. In 1920, he was ‘wanted’ by the Tans in the Bray area and his home was continually raided by them, with orders to shoot on sight. He was election agent and worked during the Sinn Féin elections of 1918. His passion for the language revival was strong. He started life as an Irish teacher in West Cork. He taught in Limerick. He was appointed Gaelic League organiser for Fingal, Dublin, and later for Wicklow and Louth. He also taught at St. Kieran’s College, Kilkenny, and for 30 years in Craobh an Chéitinnigh, Parnell Square. He was on intimate terms with many of the 1916 leaders and his two best friends were Sean McDermott and Thomas Ashe.


On Thurs. 12th Nov., the firm of Jones Bros., Bristol, took over the Old Mill premises and began canning mussels. Samples tested were well up to standard and twelve girls and one man were employed. Mussels would be canned and sent through traffic container. Wages, on the basic-plus-bonus system, would indicate that an efficient girl could earn upwards of £4 per week. On Thurs. 19th Nov. the factory ceased to operate. It was stated that most of the equipment in the premises was removed by a local firm that had been associated with the former mussel processing there. In the first week of Dec., the mussel processing plant recommenced operations. Steam cookers had replaced the former gas cookers and fourteen girls were at work.


In late Nov., sad news for the people of Killorglin was the decision of CIE to close down the rail link with Valentia. The intention of the company was to furnish adequate road facilities for freight and passenger service. One of the big grievances by passengers from Killorglin had been the long and tedious waiting involved in rail connections through Farranfore. In later years, whenever possible, those passengers bypassed that by going by road to Killarney station. In the contemplated reorganising, the single winter daily bus service would again be to Farranfore. The non-replacement of the morning service to Cahersiveen and the evening service from Valentia, would mark one more step in severing Killorglin’s contacts from the outside world.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 6th Dec. 1959. The Secretary, James Coffey, in the course of his report, said that, ‘the year under review was successful. However, the big drop in gate receipts and the poor attendance at games is a grave cause for concern. There was a big decrease in the number of games played – only 38 this year, compared with over sixty last year. The reason for this was that some of the clubs failed to fulfil fixtures and only three teams took part in the U-16 league, which was a big disappointment. It is pleasing to report that all competitions were completed in good time. Keel beat Laune Rangers in the league final at Killorglin. Laune Rangers beat Milltown/Castlemaine in the Laune Rangers Cup final at Killorglin. Glenbeigh beat Milltown/Castlemaine in the minor final at Killorglin. Laune Rangers beat Glenbeigh in the U-16 final at Killorglin and Laune Rangers beat Milltown/Castlemaine in the juvenile final played at Castlemaine. The standard of football was above the average but there is a great need for improvement in the senior standard. All games were played in a fine sporting manner.

The Mid-Kerry senior team proved to be a big disappointment. They were well beaten by North Kerry and, later, by West-Kerry. It is up to the players to do something about these poor displays. They must show a better spirit and more determination to win. A smaller selection committee, selecting a younger and more eager team, could solve the problem. The minor team was the unlucky one. After giving a good display in beating North-Kerry, it was a controversial score that brought about their defeat at the hands of John Mitchels. This was one of the finest teams to represent Mid-Kerry in recent years. The Intermediate team went under to East-Kerry with a scrap team after beating Kenmare in the first round. Most of the team went for FCA practice instead of turning out for the game – another example of poor spirit shown by the players. The FCA must shoulder part of the blame for the defeat of the minors also as some of the lads were tired after just completing ten days of hard training in Tralee. The U-14 team was defeated by South-Kerry and I would suggest to the Board not to take part in this competition again as it is a big headache to all concerned in Mid-Kerry.

The need for enclosed pitches is growing and it is now time Mid-Kerry had at least one enclosed pitch. The problem of getting referees for games is now becoming a big one and unless something is done very soon it will be impossible to get good referees in Mid-Kerry.’ The Secretary suggested getting young players to referee minor and juvenile games for one year and then putting them in charge of senior games when they would become more capable.

Concluding, the Secretary paid tribute to Father Kelly, Father McCloskey and Murt Kelly for their great work for the association in Mid-Kerry. He also thanked all the players and officials for their wonderful cooperation during the year.


The AGM of the Laune Rangers club was held in the CYMS on Sat. 28th Nov. 1959. The Secretary, Pat O Shea, in his report, stated that the year was a very successful one in the football history of the Laune Rangers. The seniors won the Laune Rangers Cup for the second year in succession and reached the final of the Mid-Kerry league, where they were beaten by Keel by only four points. The juvenile and U-16 teams won their respective Mid-Kerry titles. The minors fared well enough. They were beaten by Glenbeigh, who then went on to win out the competition. The club had eight representatives on the Mid-Kerry Senior team, eight in the Intermediate team and seven on the minor team. Continuing, Pat O Shea said that the teachers of the parish should encourage football a little bit more through the schools and they could run a league between the schools of the parish. Four teams participated in the Parish League and the Town won out the league by defeating Cromane in the final. The Country defeated the Town in a medal tournament. The Secretary appealed to the players for their co-operation during the coming year – to train more often and that the selected players would turn out for games. He congratulated all the players who passed their exams and Brian Corkery, Donal Prendiville and Joe McMahon who were members of the Co. Basketball teams. Concluding, he thanked all those who helped the club in any way, especially those who collected at gates and at the dance hall door. He thanked the CYMS and Mr. Patrick O Shea for the use of their halls and the loyal supporters without whom the club could not exist.