Laune Rangers –1969

 Laune Rangers won the Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship for the fifth time.

Laune Rangers won the Mid-Kerry Minor Football Championship for the eighth time.

Laune Rangers won the Mid-Kerry U-16 Football Championship for the fifth time.

Mid-Kerry retained the Co. U-14 Football Championship. Laune Rangers representatives on the team were John Evans, John McCarthy, Cathrach Scanlon and Jimmy O Shea.

Laune Rangers won the Mid-Kerry U-14 Football Championship for the fifth time.

Killorglin Vocational School won the Kerry Vocational Schools’ Senior Championship for the first time.

Pat O Riordan, Railway Terrace, was a substitute on the Kerry team that lost the Munster Minor Football Championship Final to Cork.

Kerry won the Munster Junior Football Championship but lost to Wicklow in the All-Ireland Final. Timmy Doyle captained the team from centre halfback.

Mícheál Scanlon was a member of the Co. Minor Football Selection Committee for the second successive year.

James Coffey was re-elected as secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board for the fifteenth successive year.

The dressing-rooms in the J.P. O Sullivan Park were officially declared open by the Chairman of the Kerry Co. Board, Dr. Jim Brosnan. Kerry beat Westmeath by 2-20 to 0-3 in a challenge that attracted 4,000 spectators.

*               *            *             *                   *                     *                    *                      *

The AGM of the club was held in the Railway Hotel. It was one of the best ever Laune Rangers’ AGM’s. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1968). The Chairman, Paudie Foley, welcomed all to the meeting. In a brief address, he stated that the club did not have a very successful year but he hoped for an improvement in 1969. The Treasurer distributed copies of the financial report and all were extremely pleased, and not a little surprised, at the healthy state of the funds.

Income and expenditure account for the year ended 28th Dec. 1968:

Income                                                                  Expenditure

Dances 29 – 12 – 5                                  Players’ travelling expenses 191 – 0 – 0

Social               102 –   0 – 0                   Affiliation     6 – 2 – 6

Gate receipts 48 –   9 – 6                      Medals   18 – 0 – 0

Sweep receipts (nett)  195 –   3 – 5  Printing    6 – 7 – 6

Field rent from schools 20 –   0 – 0 Bank charges     1 -12 – 6

Meetings     2 –0 -0

Footballs   10 – 0 – 0

Telegrams     1 – 4 – 0

Medical     7 – 0 – 0

Social   85 – 0 – 0

                                         Field maintenance 140- 17- 11                                                       £395 -5 -4                                                             £469 – 4 – 5

Excess of expenditure over income for 1968 – £73-19-1

Balance b/f from 1967 – £70 – 7 – 8. Debit balance of £3 – 11 – 5.

Election of Officers: (Brendan O Reilly proposed that the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer should be returned unopposed for the year 1969 and that was seconded by Kevin Foley).

Chairman: Paudie Foley.

Vice-Chairman: James Coffey.

Secretary: Mícheál Scanlon.

Treasurer: Denis O Neill.

PRO: Brendan O Reilly.

Senior Selection Committee: (James Coffey proposed that the number of selectors should be reduced to three and Sean O Reilly proposed that the number should remain at five. On a show of hands, the latter proposal was carried by 32 votes to 27). There were 10 nominees for senior selector and the voting, after a secret ballot, went as follows: Pat O Shea (51), Mícheál Scanlon (48), Paudie Foley (35), Jimmy Foley (35), Kevin Foley (27). Others who had been nominated were Christy O Riordan, Sean McKenna, Seamus Naughton, Paul Lucey and Sean Falvey.

Minor Selection Committee: There were eight nominees for minor selector and, after a secret ballot, the following was the result of the voting: Pat O Shea (48), Kieran Foley (41), Mícheál Scanlon (37), Michael O Sullivan (32), Tony Lyons (23). Others to have been nominated were Patsy Joy, Sean Falvey and James Coffey.

Senior Captain: The following were nominees – Paul Lucey, Michael O Sullivan, Timmy Doyle and Frank Russell. Paul Lucey was elected captain and Michael O Sullivan was elected vice-captain.

Minor Captain: The following were nominees – Pat O Riordan, Jerry Coffey, Brendan O Sullivan and Denis Cifford. Pat O Riordan was elected captain and Jerry Coffey was elected vice-captain.

Motions (that were discussed):

  1. ‘That abusive spectators should be barred from the J.P. O Sullivan Park.’ Proposed by William Kennedy and seconded by Michael O Shea, who added that spectators, who abused during parish leagues, should also be barred.
  2. ‘That players, from outside parishes, should be debarred from participating in our parish leagues.’ Proposed by Christy O Riordan/Pat Kennedy and seconded by William Kennedy.
  3. ‘That home based players should be encouraged to take part in the running of the club.’ Proposed by Sean O Reilly, who said that outside of the playing field they showed lack of interest and they should give a helping hand in other matters.
  4. ‘That the club should play only home-based players in all competitions, league and championship, unless those living outside the parish were prepared to travel without financial help from the club.’ Proposed by Brendan O Reilly, who said that the club had to cut down on expenditure.
  5. ‘That the club should foster hurling within the area.’ Proposed by Pat Lynch.
  6. ‘That membership fee should be increased to 10/-.’ Proposed by Denis Lynch and seconded by Mícheál Scanlon. It was decided that adults would pay 10/-, minors 5/- and juveniles 2/6. It was also decided that the membership money would be put towards the purchase of a new set of jerseys.
  7. ‘That the club should hold a church gate collection on the Sunday after Christmas and the Sunday preceding Puck Fair.’ Proposed by Denis Lynch and seconded by Mícheál Scanlon.
  8. ‘That the Kerry Co. Championship should be run on a league system.’ Proposed by Pat O Shea and seconded by James Coffey. Two rounds of the championship should be played before the Munster Final and the losers would play in the Kerryman Shield. That motion was forwarded to Co. Convention.
  9. ‘That a minor league would be run during the Easter Holidays.’ Proposed by Pat O Shea and seconded by James Coffey. There would be four divisions with four teams in each division, giving each team a minimum of three games.
  10. ‘That Laune Rangers should enter a team in the Co. Senior Championship.’ Proposed by William Kennedy. He withdrew the motion, as there were not sufficient players present to back him up.

It was decided to approach the local agriculture officer with a view to getting trees as a shelter in the J.P. O Sullivan Park. It was also agreed to present medals to the winning teams within a month (Pat O Shea said that there were three sets of medals to come). Finally it was decided to ask the Mid-Kerry Board why the club only got two tickets for the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final.

 Co. Senior Football Championship

Twelve teams entered for the Co. Championship – Castleisland, Kerins O Rahilly’s, Mid-Kerry, Kenmare, Austin Stack’s, West-Kerry, Waterville, Shannon Rangers, East-Kerry, St. Vincent’s, John Mitchel’s, South-Kerry. It was a knockout competition.

Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers) trained the Mid-Kerry team.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 27th July at Killorglin: Mid-Kerry 3-16; Kenmare 1-7.

The only bright features about that first-round championship tie were the glorious sunshine, the splendid refereeing of Gerald McCarthy (Gneeveguilla) and a few good individual displays. The small attendance witnessed a hopelessly one-sided game that was as good as over five minutes after the change of ends. Mid-Kerry’s defence was far from convincing. Time after time it was the veteran Ned O Shea who stopped the Kenmare men from scoring. O Shea was easily the best defender on view and only Jim Foley and Seamus Curran, in the half line, could feel reasonably satisfied with their displays. In fact, when star midfielder Timmy Doyle retired ten minutes from time in order to catch a train to Dublin, the shortcomings in defence were shown up particularly clearly.

The Mid-Kerry side was sound in all other departments. They led 0-9 to 0-2 at the interval, but when P.J. McIntyre goaled for the visitors within a minute of the restart, there were hopes that Kenmare would make a game of it. However, the Mid-Kerry boys sensed the danger and had four points in three minutes from Tom Prendergast, Brendan Lynch, Paudie Lynch and Jim Coughlan. Thereafter, it was all one-way traffic, with Timmy Doyle and Kevin Griffin lording it at midfield. The Mid-Kerry forwards duly turned the service they received to good account with Coughlan, and the Lynch’s scoring goals. The versatile Tom Prendergast had a wonderful game a left full-forward, scoring four great points and making many other scores. Patsy Joy, at full-forward, also played effectively and had a great first-half point to his credit. Right full-forward, Tim Kelliher, had better games but, nevertheless, fitted in satisfactorily enough in the new-look attack, which was led in splendid fashion by Jim Coughlan.

Mid-Kerry: Paul Lucey (Laune Rangers), Ned O Shea (Keel), Teddy Bowler (Glenbeigh), Mike Breen (do.), Jim Foley (Keel), Seamus Curran (Laune Rangers), James Mangan (Milltown), Timmy Doyle (Laune Rangers), Kevin Griffin (Glenbeigh), Brendan Lynch (Beaufort) 1-7, Jim Coughlan (do.) 1-1, Paudie Lynch (do.) 1-2, Tim Kelliher (Milltown) 0-1, Patsy Joy (Laune Rangers) 0-1, Tom Prendergast (Keel) 0-4. Subs: Frankie Russell (Laune Rangers) for T. Doyle, Tom Evans (Keel) for J. Mangan.

Kenmare: Pete Hanley, J. O Sullivan, G. O Shea, J. Sheehan, P. Fitzgerald, Noel Power, Timmy Sheehan, Paudie Finnegan (0-3), Tom O Connor, Noel McCarthy (0-2), Densie O Neill (0-1), J.J. O Neill, Michael Murphy, P.J. McIntyre (1-0), J. O Neill (0-1).                                                                                  Ref: Gerald McCarthy (Gneeveguilla).

Quarter-final on Sat. 23rd Aug. at Killarney: Mid-Kerry 1-13; Austin Stacks 0-12.

After as suspenseful an hour of football as one could wish to see, Mid-Kerry battled their way through to the semi-finals of the Co. Senior Championship when they held off a powerful fight-back by Austin Stacks at Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney. It was a game that, sometimes, sparkled with fine flashes of football and, at other times, throbbed with spine-chilling excitement. Mid-Kerry fought with great grit throughout and were naturally overjoyed with the outcome. However, their most fervent fans would be slow to deny that Stacks were distinctly unlucky not to have pushed them even closer in the matter of scores. As a matter of fact, it could be argued that the losers were well worth a draw. That the respective back-lines were frequently overrun was evidenced by the fact that, of the 25 points scored over the hour, no fewer than 15 came directly from free kicks. Of that total, Stacks notched nine.

Two vital factors contributed to Mid-Kerry’s victory. One was an opportunist goal near the end of the third quarter and the other was the presence in their attack of the mercurial Brendan Lynch. The goal, the only one of the game, came after 12 minute of the second half at a stage when Mid-Kerry were after pulling back a two points Austin Stacks’ lead and going one point up. Timmy Doyle stepped up to take a free inside the Stacks’ half. It was fetched beautifully by Paudie Lynch on the left of the goal and, in a twinkling, he left the defence flat-footed as he smacked a great shot to the back of the net. As events transpired, that was the match-winner. It left the Tralee side with an uphill battle on their hands in the last quarter and, though they rallied in a most courageous fashion, they just could not pull down the leeway.

Thus with eighteen minutes to go, Mid-Kerry were leading by 1-11 to 0-10. Shortly afterwards, the winners brought Billy Kerins into the side in place of corner forward Dermot O Sullivan. On the resumption, they had replaced right halfback Jim Foley with Seamus Curran who had arrived late for the start. In the 46th minute, Stacks were on the rampage when John O Keeffe put Joe Joe Barrett through on the right with a fine pass. Barrett, with ever gathering momentum, sent the ball roaring goal-wards but, to the astonishment of the Stacks’ supporters, the shot was dramatically stopped by goalkeeper Michael O Sullivan. Mid-Kerry breathed a sigh of relief while Stacks redoubled their efforts in a bid to get on terms. However, Mid-Kerry were next to score when Paudie Lynch pointed a free but, half a minute later, his brother, Brendan, had one of his rare misses when he sent wide from a free. In the 48th minute, Stacks were back with a free and a point by Tommy O Regan. Three minutes later, Paud McCarthy had another chance of reducing the deficit still further but his free went wide on the right. A minute later, Mid-Kerry launched a fast attack but, after Tom Prendergast had placed Kevin Griffin, the latter shot badly wide. Almost immediately, substitute William Kennedy placed Brendan Lynch and he made no mistake with an unerring point, thus restoring Mid-Kerry’s five points lead.

Then with three and a half minutes remaining, Stacks came swarming up-field and when Mid-Kerry resorted to a foul to hold up the onslaught, Paud McCarthy duly applied the punishment in the form of another pointed free. Alas for Stacks, that score was to prove the final one of the game but what terror-stricken moments Mid-Kerry’s mentors and supporters had to endure as the game ticked inexorably to a close. First, wing-forward John Barry burst through the middle and drove a blistering shot at goal. For a split second it seemed to be in the net but it bounced down from the underside of the crossbar and was cleared away – a miraculous let-off for Mid-Kerry. Still Stacks came surging back on the attack. This time Billy Curtin placed John O Keeffe but his goal-scoring attempt was wide. In a final fling, Stacks were awarded a free, taken by John O Keeffe. Paul Lucey scrambled the ground ball away and, in the process, Stacks players claimed that he had snapped the ball off the ground but their claims were ignored by Cork referee, Frank Halbert. And so it ended, this tense, exciting hour between two very well matched teams. Mid-Kerry were able to raise their game when the need was greatest and it was this compelling urgency, which brought them scores at vital stages.

In the opening half, Stacks were four points up after only four minutes but then Mid-Kerry found their feet and were level after twelve minutes. Then they went three points clear after another ten minutes, before Stacks pulled two back with five minutes left in the half. Both sides exchanged points before halftime leaving the score at that stage 0-8 to 0-7 in Mid-Kerry’s favour. Apart from the late arrival, Seamus Curran, Mid-Kerry had to line out without the Glenbeigh trio Teddy Bowler (just married), Mike Breen and Jerry O Riordan. They had a most capable reserve goalkeeper in Michael O Sullivan. Of the backs, Ned O Shea, Tom Prendergast and Tom Evans played some brilliant football – Prendergast’s interceptions and clearances being particularly telling. Midfielders Timmy Doyle and Kevin Griffin waged a grim battle for control with John O Keeffe and Billy Curtin but neither side ever succeeded in gaining complete mastery. Unquestionably, the big men of the winners’ attack were the brothers, Brendan and Paudie Lynch, who between them accounted for all but one point of their side’s total. Neilie O Sullivan, on the forty, was the best of the others.

Mid-Kerry: Michael O Sullivan, Ned O Shea, Jim Coughlan, Paul Lucey, Jim Foley, Tom Prendergast, Tom Evans, Timmy Doyle (0-1), Kevin Griffin, Brendan Lynch (0-9), Neilie O Sullivan, Paudie Lynch (1-3), Dermot O Sullivan (Beaufort), Patsy Joy, Tim Kelliher. Subs: Seamus Curran for J. Foley, William Kennedy for T. Kelliher, Billy Kerins for D. O Sullivan.

Austin Stacks: Gerry Dennehy, John Reidy, Denis Galvin, Anthony O Keeffe, Ger O Keeffe, John Horgan, Gary Scollard, John O Keeffe (0-1), Billy Curtin, John Barry (0-1), Tommy O Regan (0-1), Ger Power (0-1), J. J. Barrett, Mick Quirke, Paud McCarthy (0-8).

Ref: Frank Halbert (Cork).

Semi-Final on Sun. 23rd Nov. at Tralee: Waterville 1-11; Mid-Kerry 0-6.

Waterville, thanks in very large measure to the brilliance of Mick O Dwyer, upset the odds when scoring a thoroughly deserved victory over Mid-Kerry. Although it was by no means a great game of football, it provided some good entertainment for the large crowd and featured a fine last-quarter display by the Waterville men that turned seemingly inevitable defeat into splendid victory. “We have no excuses. We just weren’t good enough,” said Mid-Kerry Board Secretary, James Coffey, afterwards and he was right.

Maybe the game would be known as Mick O Dwyer’s game but it was also a triumph for the fitness, determination and teamwork of the entire Waterville team and, it must be remembered that it had been achieved without the assistance of Mick O Connell, which redounded all the more to Waterville’s credit. When it became known that O Connell was not on the Waterville team, opinion swayed very strongly in favour of Mid-Kerry. At halftime, when they trailed by only four points after playing against the strong breeze, it seemed only a matter of time before Mid-Kerry would take control in the second half. During the first half, Waterville came very near to scoring goals on at least three occasions, O Dwyer hitting the crossbar once.  Sure enough, within nine minutes of the restart, Mid-Kerry had reduced the arrears to a single point and were almost constantly on the attack. But then when they were asked to see their effort through, Mid-Kerry were found to be badly wanting and Waterville, inspired by Mick O Dwyer, came surging back into the picture. O Dwyer had played so many fine games for his club and county that it was difficult to find new superlatives to describe his play. Suffice it to say that this would surely rank as one of his best ever games. At a time when Waterville wanted him most, he was there to lead them out of trouble and, then, he magnificently showed them the way to victory. Truly a man apart.

It was O Dwyer who bolstered Waterville’s shaky lead with a well-taken point from a free in the 45th minute. It was O Dwyer who added further points in the 53rd and 54th minutes, to give his side a four points lead (0-10 to 0-6). And it was O Dwyer who helped to finally crush Mid-Kerry when a shot by him was fumbled by goalkeeper O Sullivan and finished to the net by full-forward Mick O Neill. How the crowd rose to him every time he won possession in the last quarter. All Waterville had to do was find him with the ball and there was no stopping him, unless he was fouled. But, though O Dwyer was easily the outstanding player afield, it would be most unfair to suggest that this was a one-man Waterville team. The defence was particularly impressive in the second half when they put up the shutters against the Mid-Kerry forwards. Mid-Kerry brought forty yards man Frankie Russell to midfield in an effort to improve matters it that sector, where they were well beaten over the hour. Although Frankie played some splendid football there, his absence was felt in attack because Waterville’s centre halfback, Jimmy Keating, immediately emerged as an almost impassable stumbling block up the middle. Hitherto, Keating had his hands full in coping with Frankie, but then he rampaged to great effect.

There could be little doubt but that Mid-Kerry was a well-beaten team on the day. They were not as fit or as sharp as the Waterville side, who obviously had trained very hard. Neither did they appear to have the will-to-win spirit, which had been the trait of previous Mid-Kerry teams. But, above all else, they were leaderless. That was where Pat Griffin would have been of inestimable value to them if he had been there. Waterville had Mick O Dwyer and that was primarily why they won.

Jim Coughlan had a sound game at left fullback and Teddy Bowler, at fullback, gave very little away to Mick O Neill. Out in the halfback line, Seamus Curran was always fighting a losing battle against Mick O Dwyer, but he could take some consolation from the fact that very few men would have held O Dwyer on that form, especially the way some of his colleagues were able to find him with the ball. Tom Evans, a very sticky defender, had some good clearances to his credit. Kevin Griffin, of whom much had been expected, could never get on terms with his game at midfield, and Mid-Kerry were always struggling in that sector, although Timmy Doyle did try very hard without achieving a great deal. It was left to Paudie Lynch to do all the scoring. Paul Lucey was about the most dangerous of the rest but he aggravated an injury and was not a real threat in the second half.

Mid-Kerry: Michael O Sullivan, Ned O Shea, Teddy Bowler, Jim Coughlan, Tom Evans, Seamus Curran, Tom Prendergast, Timmy Doyle, Kevin Griffin, Neilie O Sullivan, Frankie Russell, Paudie Lynch (0-6), Dermot O Sullivan, Jerry O Riordan, Paul Lucey. Subs: Patsy Joy for D. O Sullivan, Brendan Lynch for K. Griffin.

Waterville: Michael Moran, Timmy O Shea, Batty Galvin, Kieran Casey, Noel Cronin, Jimmy Keating, Brendie Donnelly (0-1), Sean O Shea, Mick O Leary, Donal Courtney, Mick O Dwyer (0-9), Gerald Cronin (0-1), Michael Courtney, Mick O Neill (1-0), James O Shea. Subs: F. O Shea for S. O Shea.

Final on Sun. 7th Dec. at Tralee: East Kerry 2-7; Waterville 1-8.

Admission fee was 3/-, Stand 4/-.

 Towns’ Cup

Laune Rangers’ Selection Committee – Pat O Shea, Mícheál Scanlon, Paudie Foley, Jimmy Foley and Kevin Foley.

That competition was played on a league system.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 20th April at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-3; Kerins O Rahillys 1-7.

Rd. 2 at Waterville: Waterville defeated Laune Rangers.

Rd. 3 on Sun. 4th May at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-4; Kenmare 3-8. Kenmare had little difficulty in beating a poor Killorglin side. Played in ideal conditions before a handful of spectators, it was a poor game. Both sides were short several regulars but Kenmare had the better reserve talent. Play was even enough until midway through the second half, when Paudie Finnegan really cut loose, scoring 1-4 without reply. Another outstanding Kenmare player was Michael O Sullivan at right halfback. He was never beaten during the hour. Best for Laune Rangers were fullback William Kennedy, Pat O Shea, Pat Kennedy and Patrick O Sullivan. The referee failed to turn up and, after a delay of fifty minutes, Paudie Foley, Killorglin, took charge.

 Co. Intermediate Championship

That was a knockout competition.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 29th June at Kenmare: Kenmare defeated Laune Rangers.

 Co. Novice Championship

That was the inaugural year of the competition. It was a knockout competition. Laune Rangers were allowed to enter its second string team.

Rd. 1 on Mon. 16th June at Killarney: Laune Rangers received a walkover from Kilgarvan. Several unsuccessful efforts had been made to play that game.

Rd. 2 on Sat. 26th July at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 4-14; Milltown/Castlemaine 0-7.                                                                                          With only Timmy Doyle and Pat O Shea of the senior team, the novice team caused the biggest upset of the season when it defeated Milltown/Castlemaine by nineteen points. Surprise it certainly was, because the losers were fresh from a win over Glenbeigh in the Mid-Kerry Senior Championship and had also a big win in the first round of the Novice Championship and they were fancied to go forward to the county final. That had been Laune Rangers first time together and they were now in the semi-final. Apart from Timmy Doyle, who had a blinder, and Pat O Shea who, operating on the forty, gave the young forwards the encouragement they needed, other stars in that sensational win were Declan Falvey, Michael O Shea, Joseph Crowley, Michael Kavanagh, Jerry Coffey, Pat Joy, John Paul Cahillane, Willie Murphy and Noel O Mahony. Most of the forwards had played on the minor team on the previous Sunday against Keel.

Semi-Final on Sun. 7th Sept. at Killarney: Laune Rangers defeated Churchill.                                                                                                                           Laune Rangers had an exciting win over Churchill. The display of football by two sporting teams would do justice to teams in the higher grades.

Final on Sun. 21st Sept. in Killarney: Knocknagoshel/Brosna 2-7; Laune Rangers 0-5.                                                                                                              Although Knocknagoshel/Brosna won clearly in the end, they had a very hard battle for fifty minutes. Indeed had the Laune Rangers forwards been on target, when favoured by the wind in the first half, the final score would have been much closer. At halftime the sides were level at 0-3 each and they were still level at 0-5 each with ten minutes left to play. At that stage, Laune Rangers hit the post with two shots for goals and then in a sudden burst, Knocknagoshel broke away for two rapid goals that clinched the issue. Best for the winners were Lar Hickey, Moss O Donnell, Donie Griffin, the Thompsons (Joe and Jim), Sean Corridan and Frank Finnegan. Laune Rangers were best served by Pat O Shea, Timmy Doyle, Pat Joy and Willie Murphy.

 Mid-Kerry Senior Championship

 Laune Rangers got a bye into the semi-final. Milltown/Castlemaine beat Glenbeigh and Beaufort beat Keel in the first rounds, the winners going into the semi-finals. Glenbeigh beat Keel in the losers’ round.

Semi-Final on Sun. 2nd Nov. at Killorglin; Laune Rangers 0-4; Milltown/Castlemaine 0-3.                                                                                       Laune Rangers scored only one point in the second half per Pat Lynch.

Final on Sun. 16th Nov. at Killorglin at 3.15pm: Laune Rangers 1-6; Glenbeigh 0-6                                                                                                                           It was a dreary wet evening and from pressure in the first half by full-forward, Pat O Shea, fullback Mike Breen attempted a back-pass to his goalkeeper, Teddy Bowler, but the ball went straight to the net. A feature of the game was the accurate free-taking by Frankie Russell, who scored five points. Pat Lynch got the other point for Laune Rangers, the only score from play.                                                                                                              Laune Rangers: Noel Lucey, Tom Curran, William Kennedy, Eamonn Crowley, John Paul Cahillane, Seamus Curran, Patrick (Rua) O Sullivan, Frankie Russell (0-5, frees), Timmy Doyle, Denis O Neill, Patsy Joy, Michael O Shea, Pat Lynch (0-1), Pat O Shea, Paul Lucey (capt.) Subs: Willie Murphy, Pa O Grady, Pat Joy, Paudie O Sullivan, Gene Ferris, Pat Kennedy, Davy O Shea, Denis Clifford, Seamus Naughton, James Houlihan (Dunmaniheen), John Clifford (Dromin).                                                                Ref: Michael O Sullivan (Keel). Admission fee was 2/6.

Paul Lucey (Caragh Lake)

Paul Lucey (Caragh Lake)
Corner-back on the Mid-Kerry team – Co. Champions 1967
Captain Kerry Junior team – Munster Champions 1968
Won Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championships 1966, ’67, ’69, ’70 & ‘73
Captain Laune Rangers Senior team in 1969
Won Co. SF Championships with Austin Stacks – 1975 & 1976
Won All-Ireland Club Championship with Austin Stacks 1976
Kerry Senior Football Selector 1998 & 1999


Mid-Kerry Senior League


Rd. 1 on Sun. 9th March at Beaufort: Beaufort v Laune Rangers.

Rd. 2 on Sun. 23rd March at Killorglin: Laune Rangers v Milltown/Castlemaine.

Sun. 6th July at Killorglin: Laune Rangers defeated Keel to qualify for the final.


Final on Sun. 5th Oct. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers drew with Glenbeigh.

Laune Rangers were lucky to get another bite at the cherry.


Final (Replay) on Sun. 12th Oct. at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 3-10; Laune Rangers 2-5.

Laune Rangers could have only themselves to blame for the defeat. Having won the toss, they elected to play against a gale force wind and, at halftime, they were behind by 2-7 to nil. On the resumption, they put everything they had into attack and, at the end of the third quarter, they were only three points in arrears. Then, for no reason whatever, their challenge fell through and, in the end, they were a well-beaten side. As in the drawn game, Glenbeigh’s Derry O Sullivan once again proved that he was too slick for the Killorglin defence and he scored 2-6 of his side’s total. Others to play well for Glenbeigh were Mike O Grady, Jimmy Healy, Joe Foley, Jackie O Dwyer, Neilie O Sullivan, Kevin Griffin, Mike Breen, Owen O Riordan and Jimmy O Shea. Best for Laune Rangers were Frankie Russell, Patsy Joy, William Kennedy, Michael O Shea, Patrick O Sullivan and Timmy Doyle.

Parish League

It was decided to play Laharn/Caragh Lake v the Rest (of the parish) for the trophy donated by John Scart Clifford, the Kennelly/Clifford/Flynn Trophy. The trophy commemorated the memory of three great Laune Rangers players – Paddy Kennelly, Danny Clifford and Nicholas Flynn, who had passed to their eternal reward. The competition was the best of three games.

Sun. 26th Oct. The Rest defeated Laharn/Caragh Lake.

Sun. 30th Nov: The Rest 2-6; Laharn/Caragh Lake 2-5.

Laharn/Caragh Lake came close to forcing a play-off for the coveted trophy donated by John Clifford, when they came within a point of the Rest of the parish in the deciding game. Both sides served up fine, spirited fare in bad conditions.


Co. Senior Hurling Championship


Semi-final on Sun. 31st Aug. at Tralee: Killarney 4-12; O’Dorney 4-4.

Killarney: Mick Culloty, J. O Connor, Bill Moloney, P. Hanley, Mick Spillane, Dan Kelliher, Denis Russell, Derry Crowley, Tadhg Fleming, Brendan Lynch, Tom Prendergast, Johnny Culloty, Pat Lynch, Christy Nolan, Con O Meara (capt.).


Final on Sun. 2nd Nov. at Tralee: Killarney 2-6; Austin Stacks 2-5.

Killarney: Mick Culloty, Eamonn Fitzpatrick, Bill Moloney, Mickey Culloty, Ultan Breen, Dan Kelliher, Denis Russell, Tadhgie Fleming, Derry Crowley, Brendan Lynch, Tom Prendergast, Johnny Culloty, Pat Lynch, Mick Spillane, Con O Meara (capt.). Sub: Donie Lyne for C. O Meara, Noel McCarthy, Brother Angelus, Bill Kehoe and Christy Nolan.

Killarney Senior Hurling Team – Co. Champions 1969

Killarney Senior Hurling Team – Co. Champions 1969
Kneeling (l to r): Pat Lynch (Killorglin), Billy Mahony, Tadhgie Fleming, Con O Meara (capt.), Mickey Culloty, Tom Prendergast, Brendan Lynch.
Standing: Michael Culloty, Ultan Breen, Derry Crowley, Rev. Bro Angelus, Denis Russell, Mick Spillane, Dan Kelliher, Johnny Culloty

Tournament/Challenge Games


Sat. 27th Sept. at St. Vincent’s Grounds, Donnycarney, at 5.30pm: O Tooles’ v Laune Rangers.

That game was played on the eve of the All-Ireland Football Final. O Tooles’ had reached the semi-final of the Dublin Co. Championship but had lost to St. Vincent’s.


Co. Minor Football Championship

 Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers) trained the Mid-Kerry Minor team.

Rd. 1: Mid-Kerry defeated East-Kerry.

Rd. 2: Mid-Kerry easily defeated Kenmare.

Semi-Final on Sat. 5th July at Killorglin: Kenmare defeated Mid-Kerry.


Austin Stacks beat Kenmare in the final on the score of 3-12 to 2-5.


Mid-Kerry Minor Championship

Laune Rangers’ Selection Committee – Pat O Shea, Kieran Foley, Mícheál Scanlon, Michael O Sullivan and Tony Lyons.

That competition was played with a losers’ round.

Kieran Foley, Iveragh Road, trained the Laune Rangers’ team.


Mon. 7th July at Killorglin: Laune Rangers defeated Beaufort.

Semi-Final on Sun. 20th July: Laune Rangers defeated Keel.


Final on Sun. 31st Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers defeated Beaufort easily. The game was played as a curtain-raiser to the Kerry v Westmeath game at the official opening of the J.P. O Sullivan Park.

Laune Rangers: Denis Clifford (Annadale Rd.), Michael Cahillane (Mill Rd.), Pa O Grady (Mill Rd.), Michael Foley (Reen), Anthony Foley (Iveragh Rd.), Pat O Riordan (Railway Tce.) capt, Paddy Lynch (Tullig), Jerry Coffey (Lismacfinnane), Eamonn Looney (Iveragh Rd.), Declan Falvey (Lower Bridge St.), Johnny O Connor (Ardmoniel), Michael O Shea (Rangue), Brendan O Sullivan (Bansha), Francis McGillycuddy (Ardnaknockeen), Joe Crowley (Market St.). Subs: Barry Harmon (Laune View), Brendan O Sullivan (Laharn), Gene Ahern (Tulligmore), Brendan Doyle (Rangue).


Co. U-16 Championship

That was a knockout competition, played between the District Boards.


Rd. 1 on Sat. 2nd Aug. at Cahersiveen: South-Kerry defeated Mid-Kerry.

Ref: PJ O Donovan (St. Mary’s).


South-Kerry went on to win the Co. Championship by defeating West-Kerry in the final.


Co. U-16 Club Championship (Urban Cup)

The clubs were grouped in three sections

Group A – Castleisland, John Mitchels, Legion and Listowel.

Group B – Kerins O Rahillys, Austin Stacks and Dingle.

Group C – Cahersiveen, Kenmare, Laune Rangers and Dr. Crokes.


Rd. 1 at Killorglin: Laune Rangers Dr. Crokes.


Semi-Final on Sat. 17th May at Killorglin: Laune Rangers defeated Cahersiveen.

Final on Sat. 31st May at 6.00pm at Dingle: Dingle Parish defeated Laune Rangers.

That arrangement was arrived at on the toss of a coin. Pat O Grady (Laune Rangers) and Michael Kavanagh (Dingle) were sent off following an incident and both were suspended for one month.


Mid-Kerry U-16 Championship


Semi-Final on Sun. 6th July at Killorglin: Laune Rangers defeated Milltown.

Final: Laune Rangers defeated Keel to retain the title.

Laune Rangers: Teddy Moriarty, Pat O Riordan (Dooks), Pa O Grady (Upper Bridge St.), Johnny O Connor (Cromane), Paul Griffin (Dooks), Tommy Woods (The Square), James Cahillane (Mill Rd.), Brendan Doyle (Rangue), Anthony Foley (Iveragh Rd.) capt, Cathrach Scanlon (School Rd.), Iraneus Looney (Iveragh Rd.), Pat Joe O Mahony (Glounaguillagh), Jimmy O Shea (Lower Bridge St.), Charlie Fitzgerald (Laune View), John McCarthy (Mill Rd.). Sub: John Evans (Dromavalla).


U-15 Football


Challenge game on Sun. 29th June in Austin Stack Park: Kerry 1-5; Cork City 2-5.

This was Kerry’s first ever attempt to put out a county juvenile team.

Kerry: Jerry O Shea (Kenmare), Pat Horgan (Laune Rangers), Bernard Kerins (John Mitchesl), Maurice Fenton (Dingle), Denis Finnegan (Kenmare), Gerald McNamara (Austin Stacks), Michael Moriarty (Castlegregory), Louis Looney (Legion), Tim Kennelly (Listowel), Dermot O Sullivan (Dr. Crokes), Joe Egan (Castlegregory), Ger Dillon (Dingle), Brian Savage (John Mitchels), Iraneus Looney (Laune Rangers), John Kerins (Scartaglin). Subs: Johnny Kelly (Rathmore), Kevin O Donoghue (Glenflesk), S. Heaphy (Ballylongford), Maurice O Connell (Castleisland), Flor O Sullivan (Kenmare), William Mangan (Milltown/Castlemaine).


Co. U-14 Championship

That was played between the District Boards. Mid-Kerry were grouped with Kenmare and South-Kerry.


Rd. 1 on 26th June at Kenmare: Kenmare lost to Mid-Kerry.


Semi-final on Sat. 5th July at Tralee: Mid-Kerry defeated St. Vincent’s


Final on Sun. 3rd Aug. in Tralee: Mid-Kerry 5-3; Castleisland 4-5.

That was played as a curtain-raiser to the All-Ireland Junior Football Semi-Final.

Mid-Kerry: Padraig Purcell (Keel), James A. Murphy (Milltown/Castlemaine), Mike McCarthy (do.), John Dowling (do.), David Foley (Keel), Tom Daly (Milltown/Castlemaine), Sean Sheehan (Keel), John Evans (Laune Rangers), Michael Diggins (Glenbeigh), John McCarthy (Laune Rangers), Cathrach Scanlon (do.), Pat O Sullivan (Milltown/Castlemaine), Michael Galvin (Glenbeigh), Jimmy O Shea (Laune Rangers), Aidan Kelly (Beaufort) capt.

Ref: Joe Reidy (Tralee).


Co. U-14 Championship (Urban Cup)

That was played between the divisional winners.


Rd. 1 on Sat. 18th Oct. at Killarney: Legion 1-5; Laune Rangers 2-7.

Group final on Sat. 1st Nov. at Killarney: Laune Rangers defeated Kenmare.

Final on Sat. 15th Nov. at Killarney: St. Senan’s 2-4; Laune Rangers 1-3.

Laune Rangers led by 0-3 to 0-1 five minutes before halftime and were shaping up as likely winners but quick goals by Galvin and Lyons put a different complexion on the game. In the second half, St. Senan’s held out despite a goal from a penalty by John Evans. Best for Laune Rangers were Jimmy O Shea, John Evans and Cathrach Scanlon. Also on that panel were John McCarthy, Francis O Doherty, Anthony O Sullivan, Patrick O Sullivan, Teddy O Mahony, Gerard Concannon, Tim McCarthy, Sylvester Cronin, Teddy Clifford, Declan Crowley, Pat O Riordan (Dooks), Patrick Roche (Dooks), John O Connor (Cromane), Sean O Sullivan (Langford St.) and Mícheál Scanlon.


 Mid-Kerry U-14 Championship


Rd. 1 on Mon. 19th May at Milltown: Milltown/Castlemaine v Laune Rangers.

Rd. 2 on Mon. 26th May at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh v Laune Rangers.

Rd. 3 on Mon. 2nd June at Killorglin: Laune Rangers v Beaufort.

Rd. 4 on Thurs. 5th June at Milltown: Laune Rangers v Keel.


Final at Milltown: Laune Rangers defeated Milltown/Castlemaine by two points.

Laune Rangers: Patrick Roche (Dooks), Sylvester Cronin (Langford St.), John O Connor (Cromane), Pat O Riordan (Dooks), Sean O Sullivan (Langford St.), Francis O Doherty (St. James’s Gardens), Anthony O Sullivan (Sunhill), Cathrach Scanlon (School Rd.), John Evans (Dromavalla), Tim McCarthy (Mill Rd.), Jimmy O Shea (Lower Bridge St.), Gerard Concannon (The Square), Teddy Clifford (Muingaphouca), Patrick O Sullivan (Sunhill), Mícheál Scanlon (School Rd.). Subs: Peter Horgan (Laharn) for P. Roche, Teddy O Mahony (Glounaguillagh), Declan Crowley (Market St.).


Schools/Colleges Football


Munster Vocational Schools’ Championship

In Abbeyfeale (2nd week of Feb.): Kerry 4-6; Limerick 1-5.

Jimmy Hayes (Milltown) played at right fullback, John Griffin (Glenbeigh) played at midfield and Johnny Sheehan (Keel) played at left full-forward.


Kerry Vocational Schools’ Championship

Senior Final at Austin Stack Park (end of March): Killorglin 3-4; Listowel 0-10.

That was Killorglin’s first win at senior level. The football was of a high standard and the game proved to be one of the best school finals for many a year. Killorglin paved their victory path in the first half by hammering in two goals within ten minutes of the start. Listowel attacked strongly in the second half and, at one stage, only one point separated the teams. However, Killorglin made sure of victory by scoring a third goal. Outstanding for Killorglin were John Joe Tangney (capt.), Jimmy O Shea, Frank O Dwyer, Teddy O Connor and Jimmy Hayes. The team was coached by teachers, Sean Falvey and Noel Shanahan. Pat O Shea, Laune Rangers, gave a few training sessions to the team in the JP O Sullivan Park before the final.


Munster Minor Championship


Munster Final on Sun. 20th July at 2pm at the Athletic Grounds: Cork 3-11; Kerry 0-12.

Pat O Riordan, Railway Terrace, was a sub on the team. The game was played as a curtain-raiser to the senior final, which Kerry won. Entry fee was 5/- and 7/6 to the enclosed seated area.


Munster Junior Football Championship


Semi-final on Wed. 28th May at Kenmare: Kerry 3-16; Cork 0-6.

Pat Ahern played at right half-back and Timmy Doyle captained the team from midfield, a sector where Kerry had a decisive pull throughout. The game was played in a downpour but it cleared in the second half.

Kerry: Weeshie Fogarty (Legion), J. Guerin (Listowel), Mike Breen (Glenbeigh), James McGill (Portmagee), Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), Mike Gleeson (Spa), Paul Scanlon (Dingle) 0-1, Mick Ahern (Currow), Timmy Doyle (Laune Rangers) 0-1, John Saunders (Rathmore), Pat O Connell (Valentia), Paudie Finnegan (Kenmare) 0-12, Billy Doran (Duagh), Tony Barrett (Lispole) 2-2, P. O Connor. Sub: P.J. Burns (Sneem) 1-0 for P. O Connor.


Final in Clonmel: Tipperary 1-5; Kerry 1-11.


All-Ireland Semi-Final on Sun. 3rd Aug. at Austin Stack Park: Kerry 0-12; Derry 1-4.

Timmy Doyle, at centre halfback, was the outstanding defender for Kerry.


Final on Sun. 14th Sept. at Croke Park: Wicklow 0-12; Kerry 1-8.

Timmy Doyle switched to full-forward in the second half but it was to no avail.

Kerry: Weeshie Fogarty (Legion), Jerry McCarthy (Gneeveguilla), Moss Keane (Currow), Jim Coughlan (Beaufort), John O Keeffe (Austin Stacks), Timmy Doyle (Laune Rangers, capt.) 0-1, Mike Slattery (Dingle), Mick Ahern (Currow), Donal Kavanagh (Dr. Crokes), Paudie Lynch (Beaufort) 0-1, Christy O Sullivan (Finuge), Derry O Shea (John Mitchels) 0-1, Tony Barrett (Lispole), P.J. Burns (Sneem), Paudie Finnegan (Kenmare) 0-4. Subs: Noel Power (Kenmare) 0-1 for M. Ahern; Colm O Callaghan (Moyvane) 1-0 for C. O Sullivan.


Munster Senior Football Championship


Final on Sun. 20th July at the Athletic Grounds, Cork: Cork 1-4; Kerry 0-16.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty, Seamus Murphy, Paud O Donoghue, Seamus Mac Gearailt, Donie O Sullivan, Mick Morris, Tom Prendergast, Mick O Connell, DJ Crowley, Brendan Lynch, Pat Griffin, Eamonn O Donoghue, Mick Gleeson, Liam Higgins, Mick O Dwyer. Subs: Mick Fleming for M. Morris, Timmy Doyle.




Séamus O Riain, Tipperary, was Uachtarán CLG.


Munster Council Convention was held in Cork on 8th March. Paddy J. Ryan, Luimneach, was Chairman, Sean McCarthy (Ciarraí) was Secretary and Tadhg Crowley (Ciarraí) was Treasurer.


Co. Convention was held on 26th Jan. in the Austin Stack Park Pavilion. Officers elected were:

President – John Joe Sheehy, Chairman – Dr. Jim Brosnan; Vice-Chairman – Gerald McKenna, Secretary – Tadhg Crowley, Treasurers – Tadhg Prendiville and Murt Galvin (James Coffey had been nominated to contest the position but he withdrew his name), PRO – John Barrett (Tralee), Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Murt Kelly (Con Brosnan had not sought re-election and in the ensuing contest M. Kelly defeated Gerald McKenna by 106 votes to 105), Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc.

Senior Football Selection Committee: The following was the result of the vote: Joe Keohane (87), Johnny Walsh (84), Mick O Dwyer (78), Murt Kelly (59), Rev. Denis Curtin (58) – all elected – John Kissane (52), Paddy Bawn Brosnan (49), Tom Fitzgerald (Ballyduff) 38.

There was a change in the manner of electing the minor football selection committee – each District Board was allowed a selector, giving eight selectors – Mícheál Scanlon was the Mid-Kerry selector. James Coffey and Pat O Shea had been nominated also but they withdrew their names.

Laune Rangers had two motions on the Clár:

  1. ‘That the Co. Senior Football Championship should be run on a league basis and that two rounds at least should be run prior to the Munster Football Final. Teams, failing to qualify for the knock-out stages of the championship, would play for the Kerryman Shield.’ James Coffey moved the motion, saying that there would be four groups of three teams, guaranteeing two games to every team. Pat O Shea, in seconding the motion, said that every team would have a home game, that Mid-Kerry had only one home game in the past eight years and that the finances of the Board would benefit from the system. The motion was beaten by 62 votes to 35.
  2. ‘That a minor league, comprising four teams from the north, south, east, and west of the county should be played during the Easter holidays.’ There was a motion from Ballyduff that asked ‘That the present divisional team system of Minor County Championship should be replaced with Club Minor Championship.’ James Coffey opposed that motion saying that there were some clubs that could not field minor teams at all but they might have one or two players that could play with the district team. Both motions were referred to a meeting with the District Board Chairmen and Secretaries.


The following officers were elected at the Co. Bord na nÓg Convention, which was held on 2nd Feb. in Tralee: Chairman – Johnny Walsh (Ballylongford), Vice-Chairman – Father James Linnane (St. Brendan’s College), Secretary – Declan Horgan (Tralee), Treasurer – Sylvie Mason (John Mitchels), Registrar – Sean Murphy (Austin Stacks). Laune Rangers Club was represented at the Convention by Pat O Shea (Rangue) and Pat Kennedy (Laharn).


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on Mon. 20th Jan. 1969. Rev. Father Kelly presided. Delegates from all clubs attended. (The Secretary’s Report is given at the end of 1968). The Treasurer’s Report showed a credit balance of £38-3-5. Both reports were adopted on the proposition of Murt Kelly and seconded by Ned O Shea. The outgoing Chairman, Rev. Father Brian Kelly, in his address, stated that he was not going forward for re-election and for that some might be glad. He thanked all the members for their co-operation down through the years and for helping to make Mid-Kerry one of the leading areas in the county. He paid special tribute to the players who, year after year, declared for Mid-Kerry. They had been the players who helped to raise the standard in the area. He said that Mid-Kerry could have been champions in 1968 but they did not have the necessary luck. He congratulated Keel in winning the Co. Junior Championship. That was a tremendous achievement for a small area. Their win proved that the standard was still high in Mid-Kerry. Father Kelly said, “It was the spirit of the Mid-Kerry lads on the Kerry team that was responsible for putting Kerry into the All-Ireland final against Down. If these players were from anywhere else outside of Mid-Kerry, we would never hear the end of their praise but we had, in Mid-Kerry, forgotten too quickly what these boys had done for Kerry football and instead we had become critical. We must change our attitude and be behind our players to the end.” Father Kelly thanked Murt Kelly for his help down the years and he paid special tribute to the Secretary, James Coffey, who had done so much for the game in the area. He said that he hoped that those, who were running the Board before he had come to the area, would continue to do so long after he left. Concluding, he said that he was delighted with the wonderful successes of the juveniles and he was sure that the day was fast approaching when a Mid-Kerry man would bring home the Sam Maguire Cup.

The following officers were elected:

President – Paddy Foley (Laune Rangers), Chairman – Willie Barton (Keel), Vice-Chairman – Michael Carey (Keel), Hon. Secretary/Treasurer – James Coffey (Laune Rangers), Delegate to Co. Board – Murt Kelly (Beaufort). All offices were filled unanimously. The newly elected Chairman, Willie Barton, paid glowing tributes to Father Kelly. He said that Father Kelly had taken football by the laces and dragged it up from the gutter and, but for two freaks, his ambition of seeing a Mid-Kerry man bring home the Sam Maguire Cup would have been achieved. He said that he wished the players who were leaving Mid-Kerry (Pat Ahern, then working in Newcastlewest and Pat Griffin, playing with the Garda Club in the Cork Co. Championship) every success but if they changed their minds, they would be welcomed back. However, he said that their loss must not have any ill-effect on Mid-Kerry and he wanted to make it clear that Mid-Kerry was going to remain one of the strongest areas in Kerry football. He said that while they had men like Pat O Shea looking after the young players, the future of football in the area was secure. He asked all the clubs to give the Board their full support and co-operation. The following motions were passed:

  1. ‘That the league and first round of the championship should be played on week-evenings, if necessary.’
  2. ‘That a fixture list should be drawn up a month in advance, commencing at the March meeting.’
  3. ‘That the first rounds of the Senior Championship should be played before the middle of June and that it be played on all free Sundays, if possible.’


Seven, mainly fixtures-making meetings of the Mid-Kerry Board, were held during the year.

At the first meeting, on 5th March, in the CYMS Hall, James Coffey was appointed Co. Board Delegate on the proposal of Pat O Shea, seconded by Mike Carey. At the meeting on 23rd June, the Chairman stressed the need for infusing greater interest in the game amongst all school children. He said that every club should see to it that, when the senior team was playing an away game, a bus be hired for the transport of the school kids to that game. The bulk of the cost would be borne by the club. In that way, the game would be popularised amongst the kids and the gates would benefit through the publicity. The idea had come from Michael O Sullivan, N. T. at a meeting of the Keel club. It was agreed at that Board meeting that the minor affairs of the Board would be delegated to Bord na nÓg for a trial period of twelve months.


The minutes of 16 meetings of the Laune Rangers club, during the year, are available.

Present at the club meeting on 3rd Feb. in the Railway Hotel were Mícheál Scanlon, Denis Lynch, Kevin Foley, Pat O Shea, Denis O Neill and James Coffey. All agreed that the Biddy Dance was a tremendous success and the most profitable ever. Expenses were as follows: Band – £20; CYMS – £15; Prizes – £27 (1st £12, 2nd £9 and 3rd £6); Johnny McCarthy (caretaker) – £2; Refreshments – 18/- = £64-18-0. Gross takings = £144-19-6. Net profit = £80-1-6. (Cash office – Brendan O Reilly; Door – M. Scanlon, P. O Shea and D. Lynch; Stewarding – James Coffey and Murt Collins). Each group had to give six minutes performance on stage. The proceeds of a raffle for Biafra at the Glenbeigh Social were £12-13-0 and that had been forwarded to M. Scanlon. The Secretary proposed writing to Mr. Cleary, Dublin, for another set of jerseys and Pat O Shea wrote to Michael Moran, Limerick with a view to getting him to help the club. The Co. Secretary, Tadhg Crowley promised Pat O Shea that a grant of £500 from Bord na bPáirc would be forwarded within a few days. M. Scanlon asked Johnny McCarthy for the loan of a large poster stand, on which to advertise bingo. Chub O Connor might also have had a like stand. James Coffey wrote to Hudson’s, Patrick St., Cork for posters. Jimmy ‘the Master’, Tom Keane and Park Place Hotel, Killarney were canvassed for support, also. Jim Brosnan was contacted about the opening of the dressing-rooms. A ‘Tramps’ Ball’ was to be advertised for Sun. 9th Feb. with ‘Desmonds’ providing the music and money prizes were to be given to the best group and individual. James Coffey said that bingo books had been ordered and Dingle had promised him the loan of their bingo outfit. Pat O Shea and James Coffey had approached Father Quane for the loan of his bingo machine but he would not hire it out. It was estimated that £80 profit could be made nightly. Donie Sheehan, Killarney, promised to direct the first bingo session. Great emphasis was put on having proper heating in the hall for bingo and organisers should see to it that patrons would have no complaints, especially on opening night, 23rd Feb. Posters were to be printed and widely distributed.

Paudie Foley presided over the club meeting on 10th Feb. in the Railway Hotel. Also in attendance were Brendan O Reilly, John Foley, Mícheál Scanlon, Pat O Shea, James Coffey, Kevin Foley and Denis O Neill. At the outset, Brendan O Reilly asked the members to be more punctual at meetings and thereafter became very vociferous. He asked the Secretary to write to the headmasters of the Vocational and Secondary Schools in order that they might exhort their pupils to be more appreciative of the facilities at their disposal in the J.P. O Sullivan Park. The key to the pavilion would henceforth be given only to the teacher in charge. That was seconded by Kevin Foley. The ‘Tramps’ Ball’ was a tremendous success. Kilgobnet had won first prize in the group section and J. Murphy won the individual award. Brendan O Reilly complained of the lack of stewarding at the dance. The expenses had been: Band – £25; CYMS – £15; Johnny McCarthy – £2; Prizes – £21. Gross takings = £129-10-0. Net profit = £66-10-0. M. Scanlon said that he would be unwilling to judge again. Pat O Shea asked Brendan O Reilly to see to the re-sodding of the goal-mouths and to look after the dance on Shrove Tues. night. Pat O Shea said that Jerry Griffin had been giving his Saturday labour free of charge at the pavilion. He would put in the lintels and case the septic tank on Thursday. Help was required at the pavilion on Saturdays. It was decided to get Patrick Ferris/Pat Healy to do the plumbing. The ESB would be contacted to connect the electricity. Jimmy Lucey was, at the time of the meeting, in a very critical condition and it was decided, on the proposition of M. Scanlon, that, in the event of his death, the club would hire a car and would be represented at the funeral.

At the meeting of the club on 24th Feb. a vote of sympathy was passed to the wife, parents and family of the late Jimmy Lucey. Two minutes of silence were observed and the meeting then adjourned.

Present at the club meeting on 3rd March in the Railway Hotel were Paudie Foley (Chairman), Mícheál Scanlon, James Coffey, Brendan O Reilly, Denis Lynch, John Foley, Sean O Reilly, Denis O Neill, Paddy Foley and Pat O Shea. Jimmy Foley’s bill for laying 1,360 blocks, making of lintels and roofing of the pavilion with slabs of chipboard and felt was £367 for labour, £100 of which has been paid. The members present felt that he was grossly overcharging. The engineer in charge, Donal Mangan, estimated his bill should be £264 altogether. Sean O Reilly said that the club had made a mistake in employing him but he proposed that the club should pay him the amount demanded. Brendan O Reilly seconded the proposal. James Coffey proposed that the club should ascertain from a quantity surveyor what should the work involved cost and then let Jimmy Foley make the next move. John Foley seconded that proposal and it was carried. It was decided to write to Jimmy Foley and inform him that his work and statement of account were being examined by a quantity surveyor and the money would be forwarded pending that report. James Coffey proposed that the club should go ahead with gas heating in the pavilion. That was seconded by Denis Lynch. M. Scanlon outlined the system that had been recommended by Mr. Hickey, Kosangas representative. The total cost would be £193, but with the reduction of £30, as proposed by Tom Ashe, Annascaul, and the substitution of a rose or spray with half inch copper pipe for proper shower units, the cost should run to about £100 (Trays or foot-baths had to be provided). Paddy Foley, President, was congratulated on reaching his 80th birthday and was suitably toasted. The jackpot was not won on the first or second nights of bingo and would be £60 for 49 calls the following Sunday. The CYMS charged £10 per night and £2 to the caretaker, Johnny McCarthy. M. Scanlon proposed leaving the jackpot at £60 in 50 calls until it was won. Pat O Shea informed the meeting that the club would have dances in the CYMS on St. Patrick’s night and two Sundays each month during April, May, June, July and August. It was reported that Maurice O Donoghue had fixed a dance in the Oisín Ballroom in direct opposition to the club’s next dance but the meeting decided, nevertheless, to proceed with the dance as the club had stood down to oblige him on Shrove Tues. night. M. Scanlon said that he had requested the Co. Board for a Kerry v Galway game in the field, preferably in May and he had been asked to alert Galway to that. Jerry Griffin had been paid £150 by cheque, for the total work done, to close our account with him. The Chairman said that he had approximately £110 in petty cash (He had not made an accurate check as yet). The No. 1 account in the Bank had a debit balance of £370. The Chairman was asked to lodge £100 of the petty cash and to transfer £270 from the thrift account. It was expected that the pavilion would be connected to the water main within the week. James Coffey suggested contacting Mr. Brook, c/o E.S.B. to expedite the power connection. As Laune Rangers U-14 team had been in the Town’s Cup final against Kenmare on the following Sunday, the Secretary wrote to Brother Eunan, Superior of St. Therese’s College, Greenmount, for the release of Tommy Woods and Jimmy O Shea (Lower Bridge St.).

Present at the Club meeting in the Railway Hotel on Mon. 24th March were Paudie Foley (Chairman), James Coffey, Mícheál Scanlon, Brendan O Reilly, Pat O Shea, Denis Lynch and John Foley. James Coffey, in his reference to the transfer of Mike Hassett and the Foley Brothers, Jimmy and Joe, to Glenbeigh, stated that such transfers were farcical and made a mockery of parish boundaries. The Chairman said that £100 of petty cash had been lodged to the bank and £300 from the thrift account, but the account was still £140 in debit because money accruing from the Annual Social had been still outstanding. Tickets sold for the social had been as follows: Paudie Foley – 15, James Coffey – 14, M. Scanlon – 17 and Pat O Shea – 65. That totalled 111 @ 30/- = £166-10-0. Towers Hotel had been paid £152-10-0, which left a profit of £24 from the social. Pat O Shea stated that installation of the water in the pavilion had been delayed because a special valve was to come from England and it was due the following week. The Queen of the Shamrock Dance on St. Patrick’s night netted £60-19-8 (less the meals for the band). The total profit to that date from bingo had been £54-10-0. Bills must be paid to Mrs. O Neill (for catering for the 17th March band), Denis Lynch (for the car to Dublin for Jimmy Lucey’s funeral), Mícheál Scanlon (for 3 jerseys and £1 for affiliation to Community Council). The jackpot for bingo on 30th March was £60 in 51 calls. The next dances were on 20th and 27th April.

Present at the club meeting in the CYMS Hall on 12th May were James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Paddy and Kevin Foley, Sean O Reilly, Denis O Neill, Pat Lynch and Micheal Scanlon. James Coffey stated that bands had been reserved for the following dances in the CYMS Hall: 18th May (Miss Rosebud Dance), 25th May, 1st June, 29th June and 6th July. M. Scanlon, Sean O Reilly and Steve Joe Cahillane were appointed as staff for the 18th May. Pat O Shea reported that that he had met with the Westmeath Co. Secretary, Paddy Flanagan, who had said that his county was very anxious to play Kerry in Killorglin. James Coffey was instructed to ask Dr. Jim Brosnan to have the Kerry senior team available for 15th June (provisionally).


Sun. 6th July, Laune Rangers dance in the CYMS with ‘Simon King and the Gentiles Show-band’. The NFL trophy was on display through the good offices of Brendan Lynch. Some of the players had been invited but, because of other commitments, they had been unable to attend.


Sun. 20th July, Laune Rangers dance in the CYMS with the ‘Kings Showband and John Ross’.


A club meeting was held in the Railway Hotel on 28th July. In attendance were James Coffey, Mícheál Scanlon, Pat O Shea, Brendan O Reilly, Denis O Neill and Bendy O Dwyer. The cost of the pavilion to date had been £2,131-14-8. There was still £600 due, which would leave the total cost at £2,731-14-8. Arrangements were made for a social in the hotel to welcome John Scart Clifford, who was to present a cheque to the club. The club would bear the cost of the social. Voluntary workers as well as the following were to be invited: Paddy Crowley, Todd Mulvihill, Connie Lucey, Tadhg Crowley, Dr. Jim Brosnan, Murt Kelly, Murt Galvin, Paudie Foley, Father O Leary, Denis O Neill, James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Paddy Foley, John Foley, Donal Prendiville and Mícheál Scanlon. The music would be provided by Patrick Doyle and Christy O Riordan. M. Scanlon would introduce John Clifford, the Chairman and Father O Leary would make the presentation and Pat O Shea would say a few words. All agreed that a gate for the field was badly needed. James Coffey suggested asking Mr. Reichert, Dunmaniheen, and Denis O Neill said that he would get a quotation from a man in Killarney.

Presentation by John ‘Scart’ Clifford to Laune Rangers in 1969

Presentation by John ‘Scart’ Clifford to Laune Rangers in 1969
Seated (l to r): Paudie Foley (Laune Rangers’ Chairman), Rev. Fr. O Leary CC, Mícheál Scanlon (Sec. Laune Rangers), James Coffey (Vice-Chairman Laune Rangers).
Standing: Connie Lucey, Murt Galvin (Joint-Treasurer Kerry Co. Board), Sean Foley, Mike ‘Scart’ Clifford, Paddy Foley, John ‘Scart’ Clifford, Murt Kelly (Munster Council Delegate), John Foley (former Laune Rangers’ Chairman), Pat O Shea, Denis O Neill (Laune Rangers’ Treasurer).

Paudie Foley presided at the club meeting in the Railway Hotel on 8th Sept. Also in attendance were Mícheál Scanlon, John Foley, Denis O Neill, Pat O Shea, James Coffey, Pat Lynch and Denis Lynch. The Westmeath v Kerry game at the opening of the pavilion was discussed and great satisfaction was expressed regarding the attendance and gate receipts. Expenses were as follows:

Railway Hotel 20 B/B @ 25/- = £25-0-0

20 lunches @ 10/6 = £10-10-0

30 steaks @ 17/6 = £33-15-0

Total = £68-15-0

Mrs. Sheehy 58 soup/chicken & ham/trifle/tea @ 14/6 = £42-  1-0

Johnny O Sullivan – 2000 programmes = £15-  8-0

Cars – D. J. Crowley £8 & Guiney (Tralee)£3-5 = £11-  5-0

Trophy £14-10-0 & 20 plaques @ £1 = £34-10-0

Total             = £171-19-0

Liam Woods’ Bill was still outstanding. John McGillycuddy did some levelling in the field and opened a gap, free of charge. The dance on the night of the pavilion opening netted £80 and the dance on 7th Sept. netted £75.

The following were considered most deserving of All-Ireland Final tickets: Sean O Reilly, Paudie O Sullivan, Sean O Sullivan, Denis Lynch, Pat Lynch, Pat O Shea, John Foley, Pat Joy, James Houlihan, Sean McKenna, Jerry Griffin, Joseph Crowley, Brendan O Sullivan, Michael O Sullivan, Frank Russell, Jerry Coffey, Sean O Riordan, Pat Kennedy, John McGillycuddy, Bendy O Dwyer, John Joy, Kieran Foley, Michael O Shea, Patrick O Grady, John Clifford, James Coffey, Brendan O Reilly and James O Riordan. The Secretary was instructed to ask for an allocation of tickets for the gate-men, who, Sunday after Sunday, had manned the gate of the J.P. O Sullivan Park for matches in all grades. He was also asked to apply to the Co. Board and Munster Council for a grant towards the building of the pavilion.

A club meeting in the Railway Hotel on Mon. 13th Oct. was chaired by Paudie Foley. Also in attendance were Mícheál Scanlon, Pat O Shea, James Coffey and Brendan O Reilly. The main discussion centred around a new gate for the park, the raising of the enclosure of the pitch and some small gates for the money collectors. Also discussed was the erection of a shed and a toilet. James Coffey suggested using the loans for raising the enclosure but the Chairman opposed that and suggested that the money should be put aside in a suitable investment and in four years to offer repayment to the subscribers. Many of them might leave it to the club but at least it should be offered to them. It was a matter of courtesy and honesty. M. Scanlon said he would approach Jerry Griffin regarding the building of a tool shed and gate enclosure. Pat O Shea had not yet got the bill for the hire of Duffy O Shea’s car to Dublin for the Laune Rangers versus O Toole’s challenge game. There was a loss of £23 on the previous Sunday night’s dance and a profit of £5 on All-Ireland night dance as Brendan O Reilly had reduced the band fee by £10.

A very short meeting took place on Mon. 20th Oct. in the Railway Hotel. Present were Micheál Scanlon, Pat O Shea, Denis O Neill, James Coffey, Brendan O Reilly and Pat Lynch. The Secretary was instructed to see Jerry Griffin re the entrance to the J.P. O Sullivan Park and to inform the planning authority of the new entrance. Kevin Coleman was to be asked for copies of the photograph of the presentation to John ‘Scart’ Clifford the previous July.

A meeting of the club took place in the Railway Hotel on Mon. 27th Oct. Chairman, Paudie Foley presided. Also in attendance were Mícheál Scanlon, Pat O Shea, James Coffey, Denis O Neill, Pat Lynch and Brendan O Reilly. M. Scanlon reported that he had written to the planning department of the Co. Council for permission to erect a new gate in the J.P. O Sullivan Park. He also had written to R.B. O Connell, C. I. E. engineer, regarding two wicket gates. Denis O Neill said that he had paid the following bills: Jimmy Foley £100 (leaving £27), Boyles £135, Tom Moriarty £48, Denis O Brien £35 and Keane’s Jewellers £37-5-0. The only outstanding bills were from Bob Murphy (catering for the Kerry v Westmeath game) and Tom Ashe (gas supplies). It was decided to give £5 to the local Vincent de Paul Conference.

The club meeting in the Railway Hotel on Mon. 3rd Nov. was chaired by Paudie Foley. Micheál Scanlon, Denis O Neill, Denis Lynch and James Coffey also attended. The Co. Council replied that there had been no need for planning permission to erect a new gate and C. I. E. acknowledged request for wicket gates and stated that they were looking into the matter. Tom Ashe was paid £55 for gas equipment. John Paul Cahillane was paid £3-10-0 expenses to and from Dublin for the Milltown game. The dance on 2nd Nov. netted £37-10-0 (Band £70). James Coffey stated that Duffy O Shea had offered the Oisín Ballroom to the Laune Rangers Club for 40 dances per year at £20 per dance. No one present, except James Coffey, approved of the offer, as it was felt that it would be too difficult mustering staff for such nights. Only the faithful few were available night after night for dances in the CYMS and it would be unreasonable to ask them to undertake the 40 extra dances.

Paudie Foley presided at the club meeting in the Railway Hotel on Mon. 17th Nov. Also in attendance were Mícheál Scanlon, Pat Lynch, Pat O Shea, James Coffey and Denis O Neill. At the outset, the Chairman congratulated Laune Rangers on regaining the Mid-Kerry Senior Championship. £10 was given to Eric Brick for the Dublin trip and £20 to Noel Lucey for bringing two players. It was decided that medals would be given to the following eleven subs: Willie Murphy, Pa O Grady, Pat Joy, Paudie O Sullivan, Gene Ferris, Davy O Shea, Pat Kennedy, Denis Clifford, Seamus Naughton, James Houlihan and John Clifford. Enda Curtayne had requested to be re-instated and he was advised to apply to the Co. Board. Billy Dodd’s re-instatement would hardly be worthwhile. The following motion was forwarded to Co. Convention: ‘That in future only District Champions and the holders of the championship should be allowed to participate in the Co. Intermediate Championship.’ Through some misunderstanding and confusion of dates between James Coffey and the booking agent of the band, no band had turned up for the previous Sunday night’s dance in the CYMS.

The club meeting was held in the Railway Hotel on Wed. 26th Nov. Present were Paudie Foley (Chairman), Micheal Scanlon, Pat Lynch, James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Denis O Neill and Brendan O Reilly. Suggestions were made regarding higher fencing for the playing pitch. The Secretary was asked to seek Mort Galvin’s advice. Galvanised tubular piping was suggested to be bolted on to the 5 feet concrete posts and also to place nine long concrete posts on each side and three at each end. James Coffey asked the Secretary to write to Kosangas Ltd. for a donation towards further development of the field, stating that our pavilion was the only one in the country using gas for heating of water in the wash basins and showers. Kosangas would be advised that it was intended to build a new swimming-pool, pitch and putt course and a flood lighting system. The Secretary was also asked to contact Jerry Griffin re the erection of the new gateway.

Paudie Foley presided at the club meeting in the Railway Hotel on Mon. 1st Dec. In attendance, also, were Mícheál Scanlon, James Coffey, Brendan O Reilly, Pat Lynch and Pat O Shea. James Coffey stated that the GPC of the Co. Board would deal with the club’s application for a grant. He also reported that Mícheál O Ruairc had informed him that the Munster Council would require a detailed account of the development of the pitch before considering the club’s application for a grant. The Secretary stated that there was still no reply from CIE re wicket gates. Jerry Griffin had promised Pat O Shea that he would soon complete the water-tower and gate. The Rest had defeated Laharn/Caragh Lake by 2-6 to 2-5 to win the Kennelly/Clifford/Flynn Memorial trophy. Mr. Joseph O Dwyer gave £10 for the use of the field and pavilion during 1969 by the Intermediate School. The Secretary would apply to the Vocational Committee for its subscription. The following dances were announced: Sunday 7th Dec. – ‘The Danes’ (£60), Mon. 8th Dec. – ‘Jerry and the Ohios’ (£70 minimum – 50% if profit of over £140).

The final club meeting of the year took place in the Railway Hotel on Mon. 15th Dec. Present were Mícheál Scanlon, Pat O Shea, James Coffey, Sean O Reilly and Pat Lynch. The tickets for the Annual Social in Towers Hotel, Glenbeigh, were distributed as follows: Brendan O Reilly – 6, James Coffey – 20, Pat O Shea – 86, Pat Lynch – 4. The proceeds of the recent dances had been: Sunday 7th Dec. (The Danes – £60) profit £14, Mon. 8th Dec. (Jerry and the Ohios – £70) profit £73. There would be club dances in the CYMS on 18th Dec. (Music by Mitch and the Editors), 31st Dec. (Mask Ball, music by ‘The Visions’), 18th Jan, 25th Jan. and 3rd Feb. Annual Convention was set for 28th Dec. The closing date for the sale of membership cards was 22nd Dec.


Laune Rangers Club dances during 1969:

Sun. 24th Aug. Laune Rangers gave the dance in the CYMS to the Cromane Regatta Committee, which had been revived after a lapse of 12 years.

Sun. 31st Aug. Laune Rangers dance in the CYMS to ‘Galtee Showband’. Net profit was £80.

Sun. 21st Sept. Laune Rangers dance in the CYMS to ‘Some People Showband.’


The death took place in St. Luke’s Hospital, Dublin, on Sun. 16th Feb. of Sergeant Jimmy Lucey, formerly of Caragh Lake. Aged 28, he had lived in Elm Park, Kildare Town, with his wife, Kathleen, and two years old son, Seamus. A noted athlete and footballer, he was for some years a regular on the Kerry football team. In 1962 he had won an All-Ireland senior football medal when playing at midfield on the team that beat Roscommon in the final. His brother, Noel, played at centre halfback on the same team. Another brother, Vincent, had played for Kerry in the 1965 final against Galway, while his brother Paul was captain of the Kerry junior team in 1968. Jimmy served two terms with the United Nations peacekeeping forces in the Congo and had taken part in the Battle of Malinto. He had been for many weeks a prisoner of war. He had also served a term in Cyprus. He had won many football and athletic honours in army sports and also Had given great service to the Laune Rangers and Mid-Kerry teams. At the removal of the remains and at the funeral, full military honours were rendered and all sections of the army were represented. The remains were removed from Dublin to St. James’s Church, Killorglin on Tues. 18th Feb. The 2nd Motor Squadron (Dublin) supplied the Bearer Party and rendered military honours at the hospital. The Army Apprentice School rendered honours at Naas. The cortege passed through Plunkett Barracks, Curragh Camp, where again military honours were rendered. The funeral stopped in silence, for a few minutes, outside his newly built home in Kildare Town. On arrival at Killorglin, the military honours were again rendered and a guard of honour of members of the 1962 Kerry team, former Kerry players and members of the Mid-Kerry and Laune Rangers teams, was formed. Also present were members of the Kerry Co. Board including the Chairman, Dr. Jim Brosnan, and Tadhg Crowley, Secretary. Johnny Carroll represented the Cork football team. The remains were received by Rev. Father M. O Leary, who also celebrated Requiem Mass on Wed. morning. The prayers, at the graveside, were recited by Father O Leary, assisted by Father Fitzgerald and Father Brian Kelly. Jimmy was survived by his wife, Kathleen, and son Seamus, by his parents, Connie and Maureen Lucey, and by his brothers Noel, Vincent and Paul. Even those who knew of his long tedious illness were shocked when the news came that Jimmy Lucey was dead. It seemed incredible that one so young and strong could have lost the fight so early in life. A quiet, shy man off the field, Jimmy became a dynamo when he donned his football boots. The keener the exchanges the better he liked it and when the call was for courage and spirit, he never failed to answer. As a team-mate of his said, ‘Jimmy would go back from nothing.’ No man could have a finer epitaph.

Jimmy Lucey (Caragh Lake/Kildare

Jimmy Lucey (Caragh Lake/Kildare) Mid-Kerry Minor Football Championships – 1957 and 1958 Played with Co. Minor Footballers – 1958 Played Senior Football Championship with Kerry – 10 (won All-Ireland in 1962) Played National Football League with Kerry – 14 (winner in 1963)
Jimmy Lucey (Caragh Lake/Kildare)
Mid-Kerry Minor Football Championships – 1957 and 1958
Played with Co. Minor Footballers – 1958
Played Senior Football Championship with Kerry – 10 (won All-Ireland in 1962)
Played National Football League with Kerry – 14 (winner in 1963)

Sun. 18th May in Croke Park, NFL (Home) Final: Kerry 3-11; Offaly 0-8.

Sun. 29th June in New York, NFL (proper): New York 2-12; Kerry 2-21.


Kerry beat Cork by nine points to win the Munster senior championship (It was the day that man first landed on the moon).

Sun. 10th Aug. at Croke Park, All-Ireland Semi-Final: Kerry 0-14; Mayo 1-10.

Sun. 28th Sept. at Croke Park, All-Ireland Final: Kerry 0-10, Offaly 0-7.

That was Kerry’s 21st senior football title. The team wore the Munster blue jerseys, as the colours of both teams were alike. Jackie Lyne trained the team.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty (capt.), Seamus Murphy, Paudie O Donoghue, Seamus Mac Gearailt, Tom Prendergast, Mick Morris, Mícheál O Shea, Mick O Connell, D.J. Crowley, Brendan Lynch, Pat Griffin, Eamonn O Donoghue, Mick Gleeson, Liam Higgins, Mick O Dwyer.


Cork beat Kerry in the Munster U-21 Final in Killarney. The club championship of 1969 was eventually abandoned in 1973 when it proved impossible to fix the final between U.C.C. and Claughaun (Limerick).


Noel Lucey was selected as Vice-Captain of the Kingdom Club, London. They were knocked out of the London Co. Championship by Naomh Muire on the score of 3-9 to 2-2. Noel Lucey played at fullback and Mike Murphy played at midfield.


The Sigerson Cup was played in Cork over the weekend 1st/2nd March. There were eleven Kerry players on the victorious UCC team – Brendan Lynch (Beaufort), Mick Morris (John Mitchel’s), Christy O Sullivan (Finuge) capt, Jim Coughlan (Beaufort), Moss Keane (Currow), Dick Geaney, Dick Bambury, Paddy O Donoghue (Glenflesk), Jim Gleeson (Spa), Sean O Sullivan, Eamonn Crowley (Laune Rangers).


John Kissane, 32 O Rahilly’s Villas, Tralee, who died on Sun. 18th May, was a native of Rangue. He was a keen GAA supporter and looked after the Kerins O Rahilly’s Club jerseys for many years. His son, John, was a former Secretary of the club and a Co. Senior Football Selector and his son, Sonny, was club Chairman.


Co. Senior Football Final on Sun. 7th Dec. at Tralee: East Kerry 2-7; Waterville 1-8.

Co. Junior Football Final on Sun. 23rd Nov. at K. O Rahilly’s Pitch: Rathmore 1-5; Lispole 0-4.

That was Rathmore’s first county title.


Co. Senior Hurling Final in Tralee on Sun. 2nd Nov: Killarney 2-6; Austin Stacks 2-5.

Pat Lynch played at left corner-forward. Two weeks later, he played at left corner-forward on the Laune Rangers team that won the Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship.


In the first ever Comórtas Peile na Gaeltachta competition, An Ghaeltacht beat Gweedore in Gweedore on the score of 3-8 to 0-3. The competition was inaugurated to promote Inter-Gaeltacht competition.


Central Council refused to sanction a Kerry tour of Australia, the cost of which would be mainly underwritten by John Kerry O Donnell, New York, leaving the Kerry Co. Board to raise £4,000.


An article in The Kerryman of Sat. 19th April reported that the final touches were being applied to the development in the J.P. O Sullivan Park, Killorglin and it was hoped to have the official opening in June. The pitch had been purchased some years before for £2,500. The total commitment up to the present had been over £6,000 and, according to James Coffey, the club was not a penny in debt. The club had appealed for a loan to the local public the previous year and £700 had been raised. Some subscribers had told the club to keep the loan but the club intended offering to repay the loans in the future. The pitch would be on a par with Austin Stack Park in terms of amenities for players. There were four dressing-rooms, two shower rooms, a tea room and toilets. There were also plans for a pitch-and-putt course and lawn tennis courts.

The official opening eventually took place on Sun. 31st Aug. It was a proud day for the club. The blessing was done by Very Rev, James Hanley P.P. assisted by Rev, Michael O Leary C.C and it was declared open by the Chairman of the Co. Board, Dr. Jim Brosnan. In the course of his address, Dr. Brosnan said that the Laune Rangers Club had set a headline for other clubs in the county. He said that Tralee, Killarney, Ballylongford and Cahersiveen were, until then, the only pitches in the county that had a pavilion. He hoped to see other towns follow the fine example shown by the Killorglin club.

“The pavilion,” he said, “cost over £4,000 but the cost would be very much greater were it not for the wonderful voluntary work by the members.” He paid special tribute to the most industrious members of the club. He went on, “Co. Boards are poor bodies but the Kerry Co. Board will be prepared to give a small grant to the Killorglin pavilion.” Concluding, he thanked the Westmeath team for travelling such a long distance. Mícheál Scanlon, Secretary Laune Rangers Club, said he was greatly honoured to be asked to welcome everyone to the J.P. O Sullivan Park. He extended a special greeting to Westmeath who so willingly and sportingly had consented to come to Killorglin to contest the Jimmy Lucey Memorial Trophy with Kerry. “Jimmy, who earlier in the year left us in the prime of manhood, was well known and recognised for his prowess on the football pitch and we deeply mourn his passing. The least we owe him is to perpetuate his name with a suitable trophy. Today is a day of fulfilment for everyone connected with the Laune Rangers Club because this is the first senior inter-county game played in the park. Pavilions do not spring up overnight and when the committee set out to build it they were aware of the Herculean task that confronted them. Plenty of sweat, cash and headaches are some of the ingredients. Fortunately, the members set about their work with great zest as witnessed here today and we are all very happy indeed to see our dreams come through.” Paudie Foley, Chairman, thanked all who helped in the building of the pavilion and especially those who subscribed so generously to the building fund. Over 4,000 spectators thronged into the park for the occasion. Plans were already afoot for more improvements that included sideline seating and an embankment, all around the pitch, so that at least 10,000 spectators could be accommodated comfortably.

The Official Opening of the Pavilion in the JP O Sullivan Park on 31st Aug. 1969

The Official Opening of the Pavilion in the JP O Sullivan Park on 31st Aug. 1969
Very Rev. Father Hanley PP, Dr. Jim Brosnan (Chairman Co. Board), Rev. father M. O Leary CC and Mícheál Scanlon (Sec. Laune Rangers)

Dr. Jim Brosnan officially opening the Pavilion

Dr. Jim Brosnan officially opening the Pavilion
At Back: Paudie Foley, Chairman Laune Rangers

Mícheál Scanlon speaking at the Official Opening of the Pavilion

Mícheál Scanlon speaking at the Official Opening of the Pavilion

Kerry 2-20; Westmeath 0-3.

Kerry: Weeshie Fogarty,

Ref: James Coffey (Laune Rangers).

After the game, Dr. Brosnan paid tribute to the late Jimmy Lucey. He said he was a fine footballer and also a great sportsman. His three brothers also had played for Kerry. Dr. Brosnan went on to say that he was delighted that the Killorglin Club was perpetuating the memory of Jimmy Lucey. He then introduced Jimmy’s father, Connie Lucey, who presented the trophy to Donie O Sullivan, captain of the Kerry team for the day, and then presented the rest of the team and substitutes with special plaques. Both teams enjoyed their get-together in the pavilion at the interval when they were treated to refreshments. The catering was wonderfully organised by the ladies of The Laune Mountain Rescue Society.

Jimmy Lucey Tournament, Kerry v Westmeath, in JP O Sullivan Park 1969

Jimmy Lucey Tournament, Kerry v Westmeath, in JP O Sullivan Park 1969
Kneeling (l to r): Dan Kavanagh, Eamonn O Donoghue, Seamus Mac Gearailt, Donie O Sullivan, Pat Griffin, Mick Gleeson, Weeshie Fogarty, Seamus Murphy.
Standing: Paddy Foley (President Laune Rangers), DJ Crowley, Mícheál O Shea, John O Keeffe, Liam Higgins, Mick O Connell, Mick Fleming, Mick O Dwyer, James Coffey (Referee).

The following week’s edition of the Westmeath Examiner carried an article that was loud in its praise of the Laune Rangers Club for the wonderful way it had treated the Westmeath players and officials during their visit to Killorglin.


On 27th November, the death took place in England of Owen Costello, Langford St. He had played with the Laune Rangers in the 30’s and 40’s. A guard of honour, at his funeral, was provided by the Laune Rangers club and the CYMS Committee.


Late in the year, the following article appeared in the Kerryman, ‘The members of the Laune Rangers football team are very happy with themselves these days – and with good reason. They have been told that they are going on a trip to New York next October. “We have taken the decision to go and already many people have made enquiries about travelling with the team,” said Laune Rangers’ Vice-Chairman, Jimmy Coffey. “We want the lads to put away some money every week from now on, but of course we will subsidise their travelling expenses. John Clifford, who has done so much in New York to raise money for our club field and pavilion, was home some time ago and suggested that we organise a trip over. We gave it some thought and came to the conclusion that it was an offer we should not pass up. He will run functions over and we will do the same here. I have no doubt whatever that we will raise the amount of money we want. The news is out only a very short time and, already, we have had quite a lot of members and supporters interested. Accommodation for the team over will be no problem. All our players have relatives living in New York. Four well-known Mid-Kerry players, who are not attached to Laune Rangers Club, are being invited to travel on the trip. They are Pat Griffin, Tom Prendergast, Brendan Lynch and Jerry O Riordan. They will greatly bolster our team and we are very hopeful that they will be able to travel. Of course we must get permission to make the trip first but I don’t think that should pose too much of a problem. This is the chance of a lifetime for our club and we are grabbing it with open arms.” Jimmy emphasised that they owed an awful lot to John Clifford. “Five years ago he raised £500 for our field, three years ago he gave us a set of trophies and this year he raised another £500. If every Killorglin man, who went to New York, was like him, we’d be the richest club in Ireland.” That’s for sure.’


The Laune Rangers’ Annual Dinner and Dance was held in Tower’s Hotel, Glenbeigh on Wed. 15th Jan. 1970.


At the end of Nov. Bart Moriarty was re-elected as Secretary of the Kingdom Club (An Ríocht), Dublin.


On Mon. 17th February, St. James’s Parish Church, Killorglin was re-dedicated by Rev. Monsignor Denis Moriarty, Dean of Kerry, former Parish Priest of Killorglin, who had commenced the work during his time in the parish. The extensive repairs and renovations of the 78 years old church added a new dignity and splendour to the magnificent building, which ranked as one of the most beautiful churches in the diocese.


Killorglin Credit Union commenced trading after 30th May 1969, with a target of having 50 members and a capital of £500 saved by Christmas. It had, in fact, 200 members by Christmas and £2,000 saved. Officers: Chairman – Rev. Father M. O Leary C.C, Vice-Chairman – Jackie O Shea, Hon. Secretary – Johnny Guinane, Treasurer – Jerry O Sullivan, Ass. Treasurer – Mrs. Margaret O Shea.

Credit Committee – Paddy O Callaghan, Patrick Foley, Mrs. Jackie O Shea.

Membership Officers – Michael Hourigan and Tom Melia.

Delinquent Committee – Nora Evans, Patsy Cronin, Michael Diggin.

Supervisory Committee – Tim O Sullivan, Seán Ó Súilleabháin, Tom Hayes.

Education Committee – Mrs. Emily O Sullivan and Dan Daly.


Elected to represent the constituency of South Kerry, in the General Election on Thurs. 19th June, were John O Leary (F.F.), Timothy Chub O Connor (F.F.) and Michael Begley (F.G.). Jack Larkin (F.G.) was elected Chairman of the Kerry Co. Council. Fianna Fail were returned to power and Jack Lynch was re-elected Taoiseach of the Government.


Sun. 31st Aug. Farranfore Airport was officially opened. The blessing was performed by Father Denis Curran, P.P. Firies and originally from Killorglin.


Dr. Eamonn Casey was appointed Bishop of Kerry, to succeed Dr. Denis Moynihan, who had retired.


Callanfersy N.S. closed and the children were transported to the Monastery N. S. in Milltown. Murt Kelly had been teaching there since 1953, when he succeeded James Lambe, as principal.


The Mid-Kerry Annual Convention was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin, on 20th January 1970. The Secretary, James Coffey, in his report, stated, “Petty excuses, given by the clubs for not wanting to play games on week evenings and on a certain Sunday, ruined what could have been a great year in Mid-Kerry. It is hard to believe that the final of the Senior Championship, with only five teams taking part, could not be played until November and, as a result, gate receipts and attendance were well down on previous years. While it can be said that the clubs did not co-operate with the Board in getting the fixtures played off earlier in the year, I think that it was really the Board itself that fell down on the job, by accepting any kind of excuse instead of putting its foot down and demanding that the game be played or otherwise the clubs involved suffer the consequences. The Board is depending mainly on the receipts from gates and, if it hopes to continue doing its good work in the area, it must insist on all competitions being completed before October. It is hard to expect teams to play without their county players but competitions can no longer be held up by these players, if the Board is going to survive. Therefore, I appeal to all clubs for more co-operation during 1970. Teams should remember that it’s not the winning of games that counts but the manner in which they are played.

The past year saw a certain amount of hooliganism creeping into our games, especially amongst supporters of teams. It was disgraceful to hear the verbal attacks on players from both inside and outside the enclosures of playing fields. The language used was certainly not for the ears of children. Thank God that we have the finest bunch of manly, sporting players that any District Board would be proud of. We want to keep our players that way and, to do so, I appeal to those annoying people to stay away from our games if they can’t behave in a gentlemanly way.

Our senior championship team failed to live up to the standard of previous years. Following an easy home win over Kenmare, we were lucky to defeat Austin Stacks in the quarter-final at Killarney. We were regarded as firm favourites to beat Waterville in the semi-final but failed to live up to expectations and were a well-beaten side at the final whistle. Our minors, also, disappointed. They reached the Co. Semi-final against Kenmare, a side they easily beat in the first round but overconfidence, plus the fact that some of the players showed very little interest, were the main reasons for the side’s downfall. However, the experiment of leaving the minors in the hands of Bord na nOg, proved most satisfactory.

At home, Glenbeigh won the delayed 1968 Senior League Final at Keel’s expense and, a few months later, they retained the title when they beat Laune Rangers after a replay. Laune Rangers, however, upset the odds when they defeated Glenbeigh in the Senior Championship Final. The Rangers’ minors made it a double then they beat Beaufort in the Championship Final. In all, a total of 24 games were played. All the teams in the area took part in the various competitions run by the Co. Board. My sincerest congratulations to Keel on winning the Co. Intermediate Championship. Beaufort reached the Co. Novice Semi-final and Laune Rangers’ second team reached the final of the same competition. The Board held seven meetings during the year.

In conclusion, I would like to thank the officers of the different clubs, who helped make my job an easy one, also, the Mid-Kerry players, who co-operated in every way and, last but by no means least, the Kerryman, which gave such generous space to accounts of our games.’


The AGM of the Laune Rangers Club was held in the Railway Hotel during the first week of January 1970. The Secretary, Mícheal Scanlon, in his report, gave a very detailed account of the activities of the club during the year. He said, “The winning of the Mid-Kerry senior, minor, U-16 and U-14 titles was proof of the soundness of the game in Killorglin. As well, our second string reached the county novice final, which was indeed a great achievement.” He said that not alone had the club been fostering games, but, through its several functions and co-operation with other clubs in the parish, had been helping in no small way to revive social activity in the area.