Laune Rangers – 1937

Co. Senior Football Championship

12 teams entered for the Co. Senior Championship and they were divided into two groups.

North: Kerins O Rahillys, Gaeltacht, Dingle, North Kerry, Castlegregory and St. Brendan’s.

South: Austin Stacks, Iveragh, Laune Rangers, John Mitchels, Killarney and Castleisland.

The Championship was run on a league basis.

(Laune Rangers had the pick of Killorglin, Keel, Milltown, Castlemaine and Listry).


Rd. 1 on Sun. 18th April at Killarney: Killarney 1-4; Laune Rangers 1-4.

A point, scored in the last minute of a hectic hour’s play, enabled Killarney to draw. The remarkable thing about it was that ten minutes from the end, the homesters, with a goal lead, seemed well set for victory. However, within two minutes, the tide had turned and the Rangers had turned a goal deficit into a point lead. It was a great finish to a vigorous game. The football was of the start-of-the-season standard and the majority of the players tired perceptively as the game progressed. The result, a draw, was a fitting one and represented fairly the run of the play. After a tame first half, the big crowd had plenty to enthuse over in the closing stages and were given as thrilling a finish as one could have wished to see. A feature of the game was the superiority of the backs on both sides over the forwards, as may be gleaned from the fact that all the scores, with the exception of three points, were obtained off frees.

Killarney were the favourites to win that game. Laune Rangers went into the attack from the throw-in but Healy returned and Sexton sent the ball to the other end. Mick O Connor sent back and once again the Killarney defence was busy, but Myers and Fleming relieved in turn. The Rangers were having much the better of the play but could make little headway against a strong defence. Then came the first surprise. Hurley (Killarney) sent his men attacking and Sexton was fouled about 40 yards out in the right wing. He took the kick himself and, from a very difficult angle, sent the ball sailing under the bar for a glorious goal. Killarney were in the lead against the run of the play. The score seemed to put new life into the home side. Down they swept again and, after Cormac Roche had saved his charge, Lyne pointed from a free. Sexton, playing delightful football, kept swinging balls into and across the goal-mouth but the Killarney forwards could make little impression on the defence. With the home side leading by four points, the Rangers commenced an offence, which ended in Johnny Mangan sending over the bar. Soon after, William Knightly, from a ‘50’, crashed the ball against the upright and, from the ensuing scrimmage in the goal-mouth, a penalty kick was awarded to the Rangers.  John Joe Falvey’s shot was saved. However, the penalty was ordered to be retaken and Mick O Connor blazed wide. Killarney took up the running from the kick-out and, after Mick O Connor had cleared, Griffin sent over the bar to leave the home side leading at halftime by 1-2 to 0-1.

The main feature of the first half of the second moiety was the pronounced superiority of the defence on both sides over the forwards. It was at the end of that period that the fireworks started and the crowd was treated to thrills aplenty. In a Rangers offensive, Monnie O Reilly narrowed the lead to a goal. The home side went forward and were awarded three ‘50’s in succession. Turner centred the ball beautifully on each occasion but the Rangers defence was of the stonewall variety. Play was transferred to the other end and Gerald Teahan reduced the deficit with a minor. The exchanges were vigorous and the Rangers were gradually wearing down their opponents. A free brought relief for Killarney and, when a Ranger’s back was penalised, Turner restored the goal lead with a great kick. Rangers were still battling gamely and silence fell over the crowd when they were awarded a free about ten yards from the Killarney goals. The defence lined the goal but John Joe Falvey crashed through the whole lot to the delight of his followers. The tide had turned and the teams were level, with about three minutes to fulltime. Amidst the cheers of their supporters, the Rangers again swept in and John Joe Falvey gave them the lead for the first time with a neat minor. It seemed all over bar the shouting but Killarney, with great determination, swept through the field and, in the last tick of the hour, McCarthy sent over the balancing point. Sexton, Healy, Turner, Hurley, Myers, Fleming, O Sullivan and Griffin were best for the winners. Best for Laune Rangers were Mick O Connor, John Joe Falvey, William Knightly, Johnny Mangan, Danny O Sullivan, Gerald Teahan, Jim Counihan and John O Reilly. Rangers had a large following and they were quite pleased with the display of their representatives and discussions on the game went on for the week.

Laune Rangers: Cormac Roche (Laune Rangers), William Knightly (Castlemaine), Mick O Connor (Keel), Tom Lynch (Listry), Jim Counihan (Listry), Ted Mangan (Laune Rangers), John O Reilly (Laune Rangers), Mick Buckley (Listry), Jerry Foley (Inch), Danny O Sullivan (Milltown), Gerald Teahan (Keel) 0-1, Jack Scully (Listry), Johnny Mangan (Laune Rangers) 0-1, Monnie O Reilly (Laune Rangers) 0-1, John Joe Falvey (Laune Rangers) 1-1, captain.

Killarney: Tim O Shea (goal), Jimmy Fleming, Bill Myers, Mickey Sullivan, David Hurley, Danny Healy, Harry Turner, Mickey McCarthy, John O Leary, Greg Kelly, Paddy Moynihan, Teddy Lyne, Derry Griffin, Denny Moynihan, Paddy Sexton.

Ref: E. Sinnott (Tralee).


Rd. 2 on Sun. 6th June at Cahersiveen: Austin Stacks 2-3; Laune Rangers 1-5.

The special train from Tralee brought a good contingent. Though the morning was gloomy, a good crowd poured into the town from one o clock onwards. The first game between Rock St. and Laune Rangers was a good robust affair. The latter were leading at the interval by two points to one. They should have had a bigger lead, as they were awarded a good number of frees at close range, all of which went for nought. Rangers broke away from the start and were awarded a free close in. Mike Doyle cleared and the Rock invaded for Kerins to send wide. Ted Mangan sent his side away for Jim Counihan to send wide. After a bout of midfield play, William Knightly sent in a long punt, which was pointed by Jerry Quill. Jim Courtney had another shot, which was diverted for a 50. That was cleared, Gorman sending in for Sullivan to send wide. Rangers kept up the attack, Healy and Doyle frustrating their attempts to penetrate. A Tralee attack was beaten off by Mick O Connor. William Knightly drove in a long ball. John Joe Falvey, who was fouled, sent the free over the bar. The Rock then had a bout of shooting, Gorman getting their first point off a free. Give and take play followed. William Knightly sent in some lovely shots to the goal-mouth. Rangers had several unavailing frees at close-range. Then the Rock came away. Kennington sent in for John Joe Landers’ shot to be sent to touch by Tim Teahan. Another attempt was beaten off by John O Reilly, who, immediately after, conceded a 50 to save his net. The 50 was driven out. Gorman, making a solo run, passed to Drummond, who was fouled. The shot was sent low and cleared. Rangers were pressing at the interval when they led by two points to one.

On the resumption, John P. Doyle sent in for Landers to send wide. Drummond sent back for Mick O Connor to clear. Kennington sent back and Landers found the net. After the Rock had three wides, Gorman sent back, J. J. Landers crossed for Kerins to beat the goalie for the major. Laune Rangers did some hard attacking then, but threw away several scores at close range, until John Joe Falvey notched their third point off a free. Tralee then attacked, Kerins landing a lovely point from a difficult angle. Ted Mangan sent his side away and William Knightly got a point off a free. Danny O Sullivan sent some lovely shots across the goalmouth, which went for nought. A free on the forty yards’ mark was driven all the way for a goal by Tom Lynch. The kickout was sent back by Danny O Sullivan, for John Joe Falvey to get the equaliser. Kennington sent Tralee away, for Gorman to get a nice point. Drummond sent in a rasper, the goalie diverting a save. Ted Mangan relieved the pressure. John Joe Falvey sent in for Jim Courtney to miss by inches. Rangers stormed the Tralee posts, but could not penetrate a stonewall defence, although they tested the goalie hard a few times.

One of the Stacks goals was hotly disputed but Monnie O Reilly, the Laune Rangers umpire, put up the green flag. It was alleged afterwards that the goal had been awarded because Monnie had been dropped from the team. Laune Rangers Club travelled on the Tralee train, the players and blue-clad supporters, 178 in number. The excursion fare was 2/6. The train was full and, despite the result, a great day was had by all. Of course, as well as the train, every available motorcar and cycle was utilised to convey a further contingent. The game was part of a double-bill, the other game saw John Mitchels beat South Kerry by 1-10 to 1-1. The gate receipts were £45.

Laune Rangers Panel: Cormac Roche, John O Reilly, Tim Teahan, Ted Mangan, Tom Lynch 1-0, Jack Scully, William Knightly, Jerry Foley, Danny O Sullivan, Jim Counihan, John Joe Falvey 0-4, D. Courtney, Jerry Quill 0-1, Johnny Mangan, Mick Buckley, Gerald Teahan, D. Breen, J. Lacey, Danny Griffin and Monnie O Reilly.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 25th July at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-5; John Mitchels 1-1.

The meeting of the Rangers and Mitchels provided as hard and as thrilling a game as one could wish for, and a result that savoured of the sensational. The Tralee team received the shock of a lifetime from a team that retrieved all the glory of the Laune Rangers of old. The Mitchels must have been wondering at the result and asking themselves how it happened. Well, they were beaten fairly and squarely by a side that gave a rare display or daring and dashing football, a side that had the galling experience of seeing the ball in its own net ere the game was half a minute in progress. Many a team would have cracked up after such an early reverse, but not so the Rangers. Cutting out the frills, and playing first-time football, they pressed the advantage of an assisting wind and an incline, and at the end of the first quarter, they were on level terms. The exchanges were hectic, the pace a cracker, and the excitement intense. Mitchels put all they knew into the game, and, after a series of manoeuvres had been frustrated again, took the lead with a point from a free. The Rangers did the rest of the scoring in that moiety. They first levelled matters and then proceeded to cut tracks through the field until they encountered the last line of the Mitchels’ defence. Kicked from the Laune Rangers’ feet, ball after ball landed in and around the “square” but the defence was glorious. The tide was, however, flowing strongly against the John Mitchels, and conceding a point and a goal, faced a four points’ deficit at the interval. Rangers well deserved that lead.

The second moiety was hectic. Resuming with the aid of wind and incline, the prospects of the Tralee men indeed looked bright. That brightness was, however, dimmed by as courageous and as plucky a resistance as the most ardent fan could wish to see. It was then that the Rangers showed their real worth, a barrage of onslaughts by Mitchels being stemmed in a manner that sent the crowd into ecstasies. The Mitchels sent in balls from all angles, tried concerted rushes, applied every move they knew to get the ball into the net but they failed. The defence met it all in brilliant fashion, and now and again went through the field to send their forwards on scoring missions. One of those provided the crowd with the greatest thrill of the hour. Side-stepping their way through the defence in a dazzling movement, the Rangers went towards the goal and when Derry Burke crashed in a rasper the crowd was on its toes. But, the ball struck the angle of the crossbar and upright and rebounded into play to be cleared. Playing as if inspired, the Rangers took control and some good efforts were thwarted by good defensive play. With time running out, the Mitchels swarmed around their opponents’ citadel and on two occasions were all but through for the all-important goal. That concentration on getting the major score was a fatal mistake for the Mitchels. They seemed to have forgotten that three points made one goal, and also that they were up against a great defence. If they had kicked for points they might have drawn the match. In a tense finish, the Mitchels secured the only score of the period – a point from a free.

Taking the game as a whole, the Rangers were full value for their win if for nothing else but their display of grit, determination and great football. When the final whistle hailed the Rangers as victors, the crowd swarmed in and chaired the Captain (John Joe Falvey) from the field. Each of the members of the Rangers team played splendidly but special praise is due to Cormac Roche (goal), Mick O Connor, Gerald Teahan, John O Reilly, Ted Mangan, Tom Lynch, John Joe Falvey, William Knightly and Derry Burke. Joe Keohane played a star game for Mitchels as did Powell, Kiely, Healy, Bill Kinnerk, O’Rourke and McSweeney.

The locals were given little chance against a Mitchels team comprising virtually the whole Co. Senior back-line. The players did not realise then, but they had actually defeated the Co. Champions as Mitchels went on to win the county title in 1937.

Laune Rangers: Cormac Roche, Mick O Connor, John O Reilly, Ted Mangan, Tom Lynch, Jack Scully, William Knightly, Sean Moriarty, Danny O Sullivan (0-2), Gerald Teahan (1-1), Jim Counihan, John Joe Falvey (0-1), Derry Burke (0-1), Jim Coughlan, D. Courtney.

John Mitchels: Johnny Sheehy (goal), Tom Kiely, Joe Keohane, Paddy Curran, D. J. McCarthy, Bill Kinnerk, Eugene Powell (0-1), Tadhg Healy, Tommy Murphy, Carl O Sullivan (1-0), Michael Gorman, Paddy O Donoghue, Mícheál Ó Ruairc, Pats O Mahony, J. ‘Dudie’ McSweeney.

At the same venue, on the same day, Killarney beat Cahersiveen. A South-Kerry scribe wrote on the following week that he could not understand why Tom Lynch was not on the Kerry Senior team against Laois in the All-Ireland semi-final as he had beaten every man he met on the Boherbue selection.


Rd. 4 on Sun. 1st Aug. at Waterville: Iveragh v Laune Rangers.

Tragedy struck during the previous week, when Cormac Roche was drowned while bathing in the Laune. The game was postponed as a mark of respect.


Rd. 5 on Sun. 22nd Aug. at Killarney: Laune Rangers 1-0; Castleisland 2-3

The game between Castleisland and Laune Rangers did not commence until forty minutes after the scheduled time, the former team arriving late, and only twenty minutes a side was played in a game that was dull. The Rangers never got going, and were deservedly beaten by a promising Castleisland side. The game opened in dull fashion, and with an immediate 50 to the Rangers, Breen returned but John Joe Falvey sent back, and Jim Coughlan failed with an effort to screw a point. The next feature was a determined onslaught by Castleisland, but the final effort went wide. Gainey then sent in a beauty to the square, but Ted Mangan brought off a great clearance. Play was still of a dull and uninteresting nature. The Island men were showing up in improved style but when they looked like scoring Mick O Connor, the Rangers full back, brought off a smart clearance. Castleisland were still having the better of matters but failed utterly when it came to scoring. Gainey got a good chance with a close-in free but drove for a goal and the kick was charged down. After D. Casey had brought off a great save in the Ranger goal, Dennehy opened the scoring with a point for the Island. John Joe Falvey then got his men going and Gerald Teahan was inches wide with a good effort. The Island went forward and, after a nice passing movement, Keane put on another point. The same player had hard luck soon after when he sent inches wide of the posts. Half-time came with the scores: Castleisland 0-2 Rangers 0-0.

Play was not long in resumption when the Island increased their lead with a major, the ball being boxed into the net. The Rangers were still unimpressive and Castleisland went through for another minor. Gerald Teahan retired injured and was replaced by Mick Buckley. The Rangers improved and opened their account when they sent a rasper into the net. Nettled by this reverse, The Island men swept through the field and with the Rangers’ backs missing, Irwin had no difficulty in sending to the net. Tempers became frayed and there was a scene of fisticuffs, which happily did not last long. The full whistle left Castleisland deserving winners of a poor game.

As Castleisland were 40 minutes late arriving at the venue, before the game began, Laune Rangers claimed the points. It was with heavy heart that Laune Rangers played – the memory of their departed team-mate fresh on their minds. At the subsequent Co. Board meeting, on Sun. 19th Sept., the referee reported that both teams had been late arriving on the field. Jack O Dwyer explained that Laune Rangers had been on time but had not taken the field due to the heavy rain. The match was re-fixed for Killorglin.

Castleisland: J. O’Sullivan, Denis Breen, M. Sullivan, J. Leahy, J. Gorman, T. Irwin, P. Griffin, Matt Keane, M. Gainey, J. Griffin, Con Gainey, Charlie Irwin, J. McGillicuddy, F. Dennehy, W. Conlon.

Laune Rangers: D. Casey (goal), Mick O Connor, John O Reilly, Jim Counihan, Ted Mangan, Tom Lynch, J. Sullivan, Jerry Foley, William Knightly, John Joe Falvey, Danny O Sullivan, Gerald Teahan, Jim Coughlan, Sean Moriarty, Jim Courtney.


Rd. 4 on Sun. 12th Sept at Cahersiveen: Iveragh 1-6; Laune Rangers 1-5.

The match was fast and there was little to choose between the two teams. With the wind behind them, Laune Rangers were first to attack, per Gerald Teahan. Two fifties were given by the defence for nil. After a bout of midfield play, William Knightly sent in a high ball, which was sent wide by Jim Courtney. The kick-out was sent over the bar by Jim Coughlan.

Iveragh were sent away by Kelly and Barry, for Johnny Bawn to miss by inches. The latter player grabbed the kick-out and sent it across the goal-mouth. Dwane was fouled and Griffin sent the free over the bar. The home team kept up the pressure, Duane hitting the upright, the ball going wide. That was followed by a free, that Griffin drove all the way over the bar. Tom Lynch, with a long drive, sent Rangers away. Danny O Sullivan’s shot was cleared by Seamus O Shea. John Joe Falvey shot across the goal-mouth and a fifty resulted, which was driven over the bar. John O Shea sent well out for Barry to place Duane nicely for another Iveragh point. A Rangers attack ended with Dan O Sullivan missing by inches. A determined Iveragh attack saw Griffin hit the upright, the ball going dead. O Shea, Griffin and Tucker led a determined assault that ended in Tadhg O Sullivan beating the goalie for a major. Jim Counihan drove a long ball. Dan O Sullivan and Gerald Teahan, being prominent in a series of attacks, the former notched a minor in nice style. The home side came away but Ted Mangan drove them back, John Joe Falvey, Jim Coughlan and Dan O Sullivan, working hard to penetrate a good defence. They forced two fifties that went for nought, O Sullivan again missing by inches.

Seamus O Shea broke up another attack. Hopper sent well in but Lucey’s shot was cleared by Jack Scully. Jerry Foley was fouled and William Knightly landed the free on top of the net. A fifty, taken by the same player, was driven to touch by John O Shea. After Rangers had two more wides, Chas. Connell sent Griffin on a run. He crossed nicely to Barry, who was fouled in a good position. The free, at close range, was well cleared by Mick O Connor. Iveragh were attacking again when the halftime whistle sounded, leaving the score at 1-3 to 0-4 in favour of the home team.

Bursting away on the resumption, Rangers were stopped by Chas. O Connell. Boss Walsh, away on a solo run, drove the ball all the way for a point from far out. That was followed by another by Barry from a pass by Griffin. A determined visitors’ attack was stopped by Boss. Tom Lynch sent the leather back and the Rangers forwards led the home defence a merry dance for many minutes. Three frees I quick succession were driven wide. A robust clearance by Kelly was backed up by Hopper with along drive. Lucey, dribbling the ball, was fouled. Griffin sent the free over the bar.

Gerald Teahan sent in a lovely ball but Sean Moriarty sent wide of the posts. After a midfield tussle, Bawner sent in a hooker that ended in a fifty. Griffin’s cross from that was sent wide. Jack Scully sent Rangers away, Gerald Teahan was fouled and John Joe Falvey notched a point from the free. Two determined Rangers attacks were frustrated by Seamus and Johnny O Shea. Chas. Connell sent the ball down and Duane had a shot that John O Reilly cleared. Johnny Mangan dashed away for the Iveragh goals. Kelly stopped him and Hopper, with a long drive, initiated another home attack. The defence was well pressed, a free bringing relief. That was sent down, John Joe Falvey just missing the uprights. Iveragh had an attacking bout that ended in three wides. A nice bit of combined play, saw the Laune boys sweep through the field. They forced a fifty, which James O Shea nullified with a long drive. Barry sent that in but Tom Lynch sent it back. Dan O Sullivan, Gerald Teahan, John Joe Falvey and Jim Coughlan were then trying hard to pull down the lead. They fought against a stubborn defence for five minutes, their efforts being rewarded with a goal within a few seconds of the fulltime whistle. It was a well-fought match, played in a grand sporting spirit before a fair attendance at Reenrisheen.

Ref: Sean O Connor.


East-Kerry Senior Football Championship

Seven teams took part, Dr. Crokes, Legion, Laune Rangers, Listry, Keel, Kenmare and Kilcummin.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 25th April at Kilcummin: Laune Rangers 1-6; Kilcummin 1-1.

Laune Rangers got the fright of their lives in that game. Cutting out the frills and playing vigorous football, Kilcummin enjoyed an equal share of the play but their forwards could not score. That may have been due in a big measure to the strength of the opposing defence but one sharpshooter in Kilcummin’s forward department and the game might at least have been drawn. The Rangers, however, deserved their win if for nothing else but their superior craft. However, their display was not as good as expected. John Joe Falvey was the man-of-the-match and it was his excellent display and captaincy that won the match. He was well supported by Paud Costello, Tim Teahan, Dan Murphy, Monnie O Reilly, Tom O Connor and Ted Mangan. For Kilcummin, Mickey McCarthy, M. Sullivan (goalie) and N. Crowley were best.

The halftime score was 0-4 to 0-1 in favour of the visitors. They then had to stave off a great finish by Kilcummin. One of the Rangers defenders put through his own goal while he was attempting to clear his line. Michael Sheehan retired injured and was replaced by Mick O Sullivan.

Laune Rangers: Cormac Roche (goals), Paud Costello, Tim Teahan, Dan Murphy, William Knightly, John O Reilly, Tom O Connor, Michael Sheehan, Ted Mangan, Johnny Mangan, John O Riordan, John Joe Falvey (capt.), Monnie O Reilly, Tom Foley, Jim Sheehy.

Kilcummin: Mickey McCarthy (captain), M. Sullivan (goal), A. McCarthy, J. McCarthy, E. Moriarty, M. Moriarty, A. Moriarty, C. McCarthy, M. Doherty, B. Callaghan, N. Crowley, M. Leary, J. O Connor, C. Cronin, T. Fleming.

Ref: Charlie Fleming (Killarney) – very capable.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 30th May at Killorglin: Keel 2-4; Laune Rangers 2-1.

As expected, that game was full of interest even to the last whistle. Very little separated the teams, each giving of its best, which resulted in a fine exhibition of clean football. Laune Rangers, aided by hill and wind, were pressing but failed to register. Keel fought hard but failed to penetrate the home defences. A tussle at midfield ensued before Rangers forced a free, which John Joe Falvey sent over for a point. A series of desperate attacks on the Keel goal were ably beaten off and much of the half was gone before Rangers succeeded in adding two goals to leave the halftime score at 2-1 to 0-0 to the home team.

It looked as if Keel would reduce their opponent’s lead, on resuming, but the Laune siders seemed to improve with the time and exchanges were very even in spite of the stiffness of the breeze. Ten minutes elapsed before Keel could register their first score, a point. Then the spell seemed to be broken and, in less than another ten minutes, the teams were level. Rangers again rallied for a wonderful onslaught and the Keel goal was in danger repeatedly, Monnie O Reilly finally missing narrowly. The kick-out brought not only ease to Keel but also an opportunity, which resulted in a very easy goal just before the final whistle. Again, unfortunately, non-punctuality in starting was a feature of the day, despite all threats of penalisation by the Board.

Ref: Pete Coughlan (Beaufort).


Sun. 7th Nov. at Tubrid, Kenmare: Kenmare 2-2; Laune Rangers 1-3.

Kenmare footballers gave their supporters a welcome surprise when they defeated Laune Rangers. With their tradition and recent record behind them, the visitors were expected to have an easy win. However, playing with great dash and determination, Kenmare took an early lead and eventually ran out winners in a clean, hard game. The honours of the game went to their great defence, especially when under hot pressure in the last quarter, when their goalie, Mick Lynch, brought off some marvellous saves, when all seemed lost. Two points down with over ten minutes to go, the visitors made the mistake of going for goals but there was no beating those backs or cúlbáire.

Kenmare were first to break away and Frank Guihan punched a centre by Denis O Sullivan to the net. Mick O Shea and D. Galvin were applauded for great play in the Kenmare halfback line. However, the visitors were not to be denied and John Joe Falvey sent over a point. Keeping up the pressure, Laune Rangers notched two other points to draw level. The local then contested every inch of ground, Joe O Shea and J. Fitzgerald doing Trojan work at midfield. A centre by D. O Shea was finished for a goal by Denis Finnegan from a pass by J. Lyne. Johnny Mangan was outstanding for the Rangers and a fast movement along the right wing enabled them to equalise.

Resuming at the same fast pace, both defences were tested before J. Fitzgerald scored a grand point from a ‘50’. In a further Kenmare attack, Denis Finnegan increased their lead with another minor. Rangers then made Herculean efforts to get a goal and pull off a win but their concentration on the major score proved their undoing and no further scores were registered. Joe O Shea, at centre halfback, fulfilled the difficult task of marking John Joe Falvey, while J. Lyne and Pat Buckley were also great defenders for the winners.

Ref: D.F. O Shea.


East-Kerry Junior Football Championship

Ten teams took part, Rathmore, Headford, Ardea (Kenmare), Dr. Crokes, Legion (comprised the Killarney section), Laune Rangers, Listry, Keel, Farranfore and Castlemaine (comprised the Killorglin section). The top two teams in each section played in the semi-finals.


1936 Final in the Seminary Sportsfield: Listry 6-6; Kenmare 4-1.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 2nd May at Listry: Listry 0-2; Laune Rangers 0-2.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 30th May at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-6; Keel 2-5.

Laune Rangers pressed from the outset and the Keel defence was tested time after time. Eventually a goal was scored. Three pints, one from a free, followed before Keel found their feet. Defying the wind and a stout defence, they succeeded in penetrating the local defence and, by clever hand-passing, sent through for a goal. The Rangers were again on the offensive and succeeded in doubling their score before halftime, at which time it stood at 2-6 to 1-0 in favour of the home side.

The second half was a game of attack and defence, in which Keel, the attackers, strove hard to equal the Rangers score and failed to do so only by reason of the soundness of the Rangers back line.

The referee’s report (J. O Sullivan, Listry) was read at the subsequent Board meeting, stating that Keel were five minutes late and that Laune Rangers were forty-five minutes late. The referee recommended that the Board take action. John Joe Falvey explained that the junior team was composed of ‘country’ players and that was the cause of their late appearance on the field. It was decided that the rules dealing with non-punctuality would be more strictly enforced from then on. Liam McSweeney presided at the meeting and Laune Rangers were represented by John Joe Falvey, Johnsie O Connor and John O Riordan.


Rd. 3 on Sun. 19th Sept: Farranfore 3-2; Laune Rangers 2-4.

Due to financial difficulties, the East-Kerry Junior Football Championship had to be curtailed.


Listry beat Keel by 0-6 to 0-3 in the final, which was played in Killarney on Sun. 13th March 1938.


Challenge Games.


Sun. 21st March at Killorglin: Listry 2-4; Laune Rangers 0-3.

The game was one of more spills than thrills and was on the whole rather disappointing. A sharp, cutting breeze blew during the whole hour and the onlookers, few in number, were thus more disappointed when the fare provided was of a rather low standard. Though the final score might have indicated an entirely one-sided game, that was not the case. The visitors deserved their victory but the home side was worthy of a few more scores.

At the outset, indeed, it looked like a sure-thing for the Rangers but the registering of a major score for Listry after fifteen minutes, changed the whole outlook and then, in combination, passing and fielding, they seemed to dominate, whilst the Rangers were very unfortunate on a few occasions at their opponents posts. The ground was very soft and many were brought to earth during the hour.

Ref: Tadhg O Reilly – very capable.


Sun. 9th May at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-5; Killarney 1-6.

At that time, great debate arose between Laune Rangers and Killarney as to which was the better team, particularly as the teams had drawn in the Co. Senior Football Championship. A ‘clear the air’ challenge game was issued and accepted for Killorglin. Great interest was aroused and the anti-betting laws had to be enforced, such was the rivalry. For those who were fortunate enough to be present, there were spills, thrills and excitement from beginning to end.

Owing to the morning’s rain, the attendance was not up to expectations, nor was the sod dry. That occasioned much uneasiness, especially in the early stages. Each side played short of its original selection but the game lost nothing in vigour or enthusiasm and there were many brilliant passages with the passing and combination of a very high standard. Twice during the first half, the ball struck the crossbar and, to equalise, the Rangers had the same ill-luck in the second half. The wind played a big part in each moiety.

Playing with the advantage of the wind, Killarney settled down very early and forced a ‘50’ after a few minutes play. A wide resulted and Rangers, pressing quickly, secured the same advantage with, unfortunately, the same result. There was a determined attack on Rangers territory and a brilliant save by Cormac Roche evoked much applause. Not to be denied, however, the visitors, after ten minutes play, registered the first score, a minor. Very soon afterwards, Turner was fouled and, from the resultant free, a neat piece of passing enabled Kelly to outwit Cormac Roche in the goals. Realising that it was time to rally, the home side seemed to become electrified and, a minute after the kick-out, had registered their first score, a goal per Ted Mangan. The closing ten minutes of the moiety were periods of fine football with first this side and then that securing the advantage. Laune Rangers, playing against the sun and wind, were unable to make an impression, whilst Cormac Roche was frequently tested and always found faithful. Killarney, per Hurley, registered a minor, followed soon by a like score per Seamus Roche. Play was around the Rangers goal when a free was awarded and Dicko Clifford registered the visitors’ third point. The interval score was 1-3 to 1-1 in favour of Killarney.

Rangers settled down very early in the second half and were unfortunate when the ball struck the crossbar from a neat shot from far out. There was a tussle from the kick-out and Seamus Roche secured and raised a white flag. Again Killarney’s efforts were frustrated by the Rangers’ custodian, whose kick-out went to Mick Buckley to secure another minor and draw level. A major score by Monnie O Reilly, set the Rangers’ followers to a high pitch of excitement and, taking advantage of the breeze, William Knightly added yet another point to the quickly mounting score. Killarney’s efforts at attack seemed unavailing as the backs were sure and Roche safe in goals. Another point by John Joe Falvey closed the scoring.

Scorers for Laune Rangers were Ted Mangan 1-0, Monnie O Reilly 1-0, Seamus Roche 0-2, L. Buckley 0-1, T. Knightly 0-1, John Joe Falvey 0-1. Best for the Rangers were John Joe Falvey, Jim Counihan, William Knightly, Jerry Foley, Danny O Sullivan and Cormac Roche (goals). Best for Killarney were Dicko Clifford, Paddy Sexton, Derry Griffin, W. Coleman, Harry Turner and O Leary (goals).

Ref: P. O Leary.


Sun. 18th July at Killorglin: Killarney 4-3; Laune Rangers 1-7.

What promised to be one of the best games, played in the Killorglin Sports-field, for a long time was almost spoiled by a more than lavish use of the whistle. The game, a return match, was nevertheless a very good one with plenty brilliant flashes of play, which, however, were very seldom allowed to develop. Rangers, who were without some of their best men, opened the scoring with a goal, but Killarney, almost immediately, equalised. A point on either side followed and play was then equal until the ten minutes preceding the interval, during which the visitors had a succession of three very soft goals.

The changeover put the locals pressing but many splendid efforts were frustrated by the whistle and, though Killarney could do little more than defend during the second half hour, the Rangers could do nothing better than reduce their opponents three goals lead to one of five points.

Ref: Charlie Fleming (Killarney).


Sun. 15th Aug. at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh 2-3; Cromane 1-1.

That was one of the most exciting contests witnessed for many years in the Glenbeigh Sportsfield. Weather conditions were glorious and the attendance was well up to anticipations. The home team was captained by John O Sullivan and Cromane by Jerry Riordan.

The game commenced with Glenbeigh playing against the incline. Cromane appeared to have to better of matters in the early stages. The pace was fast and exciting and it was obvious that several of the players were losing their tempers. The same could safely be said of the majority of the spectators, especially of those who were anxious for a Cromane triumph.

The home team got the first score. John O Donoghue got possession and he sent to Tom Campbell, who sent the leather sailing over the crossbar. Following the kick-out, the visitors launched a vigorous attack at midfield and Jimmy Moriarty succeeded in landing the ball in Glenbeigh territory. Paddy Grady sent over the bar. Cromane attacked again and, after some very rough play, succeeded in registering a goal. The referee was having a difficult time, as many of the spectators, not content with shouting, were invading the pitch. At intervals, the game looked more like an all-in wrestling contest than a football match. Tom Campbell secured a further point for the local team and a similar score to Cromane was disallowed. At halftime the visitors were leading by two points, 1-1 to 0-2.

On the resumption, Glenbeigh settled down and, after about ten minutes, it was apparent that they would emerge victorious. Play continued fast, rough and exciting but the local team gradually began to assert its superiority. Cromane, despite repeated attacks, failed to score even a minor in the second half, while one of their backs was responsible for giving a goal to Glenbeigh. Tom Campbell, who figured prominently in the home forward line all through the game, sent up a green flag and the white flag twice during that second half. One of the points, however, was disallowed. The majority of the home side acquitted themselves well but John O Sullivan, Tom Campbell, Maurice O Neill, Con McGillycuddy and Paddy Riordan did trojan work. On the Cromane side, Jimmy Moriarty was outstanding, while Jerry Riordan, J. McKenna and Paddy Grady also gave a good display. In justice to Glenbeigh, three of their best players, the Jones brothers and Dermot O Herlihy were absent at the All-Ireland semi-final in Cork. Ref: Paddy Foley (Laune Rangers) – very capable.


Sun. 12th Sept. at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh 0-2; Cromane 0-1.

Weather conditions were unfavourable, rain fell heavily at intervals, with the result that the pitch was sodden and slippery and the ball wet and greasy. The game began rather dull and slow. It was obvious at an early stage that the encounter would lack the excitement and the thrills witnessed on the 15th Aug. Cromane played with the double advantage of a stiff breeze and the incline towards their opponents’ goal in the first half. Despite those advantages, however, and the shouts of their supporters, the majority of the players never got into form and splendid chances of scoring were thrown away.

The home team had the first score, John O Donoghue, who was as usual outstanding on the Glenbeigh side, fielded about 25 yards out and sent over the crossbar. Following the kick-out, Cromane swept off to the attack but their efforts were frustrated by Tom Jones. In fact, every movement by the visitors worked splendidly until it reached Jones, but that was the finish of it. After twenty minutes of the first moiety, a long ball sent in by Cromane sailed high over the upright and the visitors claimed a point. The umpire raised the flag but, following an argument, the score was not allowed. At halftime, the score stood at 0-1 to 0-0 in Glenbeigh’s favour.

The second half was much more interesting and Jackie O Connor increased the Glenbeigh lead with a point, which was immediately followed by a point for Cromane by M. O Grady. That completed the scoring. For the visitors, Jim Moriarty, Mick McKenna, Denis Costello and M. O Grady were outstanding. Best for Glenbeigh were John O Donoghue, Tom Jones, Tom Campbell and Paddy Lyne.

Controversy continued after the game and a further challenge was arranged for 3rd Oct.

Glenbeigh: A. O Sullivan (goal), John Donoghue (capt.), Maurice O Neill, Tom Jones, Tom Campbell, P. O Grady, Jackie O Connor, M. Donoghue, D. Donoghue, Paddy Lyne, T. Lyne, P. O Sullivan, Michael O Shea, Tom O Shea, Paddy O Neill.

Cromane: Francis Conway (goal), Jerry O Riordan (capt.), Denis Costello, Mick McKenna, Jack Teahan, Denny Teahan, Jim Moriarty, Tom Fitzpatrick, Michael O Grady (0-1), D. O Connor, John Healy, Jimmy Healy, D. O Shea, Sean Moroney, Tadhg Sugrue.

Ref: Michael O Sullivan (Killorglin) – capable.


Sun. 10th Oct. at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh 0-1; Cromane 0-1.

The game that had been arranged for 3rd Oct. was postponed due to the deaths of two Glenbeigh IRA men, Dan Clifford and Peter Hussey.


Sun. 10th Oct. at Glenbeigh: Cromane beat Mountain Stage by 2 points in a minor challenge.


Parish League


Due to Kerry’s victory in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final, great euphoria spread throughout the county. That fever spread also to Killorglin. Consequently, a Parish League was arranged for Nov., comprising of teams from Cromane, Beaufort, Bansha and 3 from the Town.




At the end of April, Castleisland Vocational School defeated Kilorglin Vocational School. However, the Killorglin girls reversed the decision in the camogie game.


Munster Colleges Senior Football:

Rd. 1 on Sun. 24th Oct. at Killarney: St. Brendan’s 5-5; St. Michael’s, Listowel 0-1.

Derry Burke played at right half-forward and scored two points.


Semi-final on Thurs. 25th Feb. at Killarney: St. Brendan’s beat North Monastery, Cork.

Gerald Teahan played at centre halfback and Derry Burke played at right full-forward.


Final on Fri. 12th March at Charleville: St. Brendan’s 1-8; Ennis CBS 1-1.

Gerald Teahan played at right halfback and Derry Burke played at left full-forward.


Inter-Provincial Colleges Football:

In Killarney: Connacht 2-8; Munster 0-2.

Gerald Teahan played at right halfback.



Co. Senior Hurling Championship

11 teams entered for the Co. Senior Hurling Championship. Laune Rangers made its first appearance for some years. There were two groups and after the league system, two teams would qualify from each group for the semi-finals.

South: Laune Rangers, Killarney, Kilgarvan, Kenmare, John Mitchels and Kerins O Rahillys.

North: Causeway, Pearses, Lixnaw, Austin Stacks and St. Brendan’s.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 4th April at Killorglin: Killarney 5-5; Killorglin (Laune Rangers) 1-1.

As the score suggested, that was a decisive victory in a game that was featured more by hard clashes than good hurling. There were some brilliant individual performances served up by both sides but cohesive play, with the exception of a few nice movements by the Killarney forwards, was out of the programme. Though they never looked like winning, Killorglin put up a plucky fight and they were still battling on in the last quarter, when the game was safe for their opponents.

The honours of the contest went to the Killorglin goalie and fullback line. They bore the brunt of the struggle right through and they did their work well. Dick Morrissey, the Killarney midfield man, was the star of the game. Controlling that sector, he gave a delightful exhibition of the code and his deadly marksmanship was a constant worry to the home defence. He was well supported by Sexton. The Killorglin forwards were subdued by a sound defence, in which J. McEnery, Dick Morrissey, Sean Casey and Paddy Quiley starred. In the forward line, Killarney was best served by the Morris brothers, who accounted for most of their side’s scores. Killorglin’s outstanding players were Hanrahan, at fullback, and Wynn.

Playing with the advantage of a slight wind, Killarney pressed from the start but drove wide. Morrissey returned the puck-out and O Donoghue saved well in the goal-mouth. The visitors were having the better of the exchanges and continued pressure brought its reward when Jim Morris raised the green flag. Killorglin then had an innings but the finishing effort was wide of the objective. Play swung round to the other end and Jim Morris put his side two goals up with a great shot. The Rangers improved and the Killarney goalie conceded a ‘70’ in relieving a dangerous situation. The free fell short and Killarney were again on a scoring mission. The Rangers goalie saved a rasper from John Morris and in the ensuing exchanges, Killarney were penalised on the halfway line. From the free, J. Wynn opened the scoring for the home side with a neat point. Killarney replied with two minors per Dick Morrissey and a goal per Jim Morris. After the Rangers had sent wide, Killarney returned and Keating raised the white flag. The short whistle had Killarney ahead by 3-3 to 0-1.

The second period found the visitors again supreme and scores came quickly from Jim Morris (1-2) and Keating (1-0). Their lead was unapproachable but the home side kept hammering away and were rewarded towards the end, when Hanrahan, from a ‘70’ sent all the way to the net. That completed the scoring. That was a plucky display in the face of formidable odds. The game could be regarded only in the light of an experiment, which augured well for the National game in Killorglin. Indeed there were some, and perhaps not a few, passengers on the team and for that reason there was all the more hope that practice and replacements could make the team to be reckoned with.

Laune Rangers: Stephen O Donoghue (goals), D. Devane (Dingle), L. McCarthy, E. Hanrahan (1-0, seventy), Mossy Roche, Jim Barry, Ted Mangan, S. Guihan, Liam Foley, John T. O Riordan, Monnie O Reilly, Mossy Power, Paud O Neill, Cormac Roche, J. Wynn (0-1, free).

Killarney: Phil Coffey (goal), Sean Casey, Jim Morrissey, Paddy Quiley, Tim O Shea, J. McEnery, E. O Sullivan, Dick Morrissey, Paddy Sexton, T. Fahy, John Morris, Jackie Keogh, Dermot Keating, Jim Morris, Bill Howard O Sullivan.

Ref: W. Burns (Killarney) – very capable.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 30th May at Kenmare: Kenmare 6-4; Laune Rangers 3-2.


Rd. 3 on Fri. 13th Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 6-5; Kerins O Rahillys 1-3.

The game was played before a very small crowd but on a good sod and in favourable weather. Though the followers of the home team expected them to put up a good fight against the visitors, they were, indeed, pleasantly surprised to find, as the game proceeded, that Rangers not only gave a good game but seemed superior in almost every department. It was in the opening stages that the game promised to be interesting and O’Rahilly’s seemed to have encountered a stiffer opposition than they anticipated from that team, which was making its first appearance in the Hurling Championship. When the home team got in a neat goal, the visitors seemed taken aback and replied with a point and, despite many efforts, could not penetrate the home defence for a major, whilst the scoring was fast against them. Ere the close of the first moiety, they again raised the white flag, setting the half-time score as:- Laune Rangers 4 -1; O’Rahilly’s 0-2.

Playing with the advantage of a slight incline on the second half, the O’Rahilly’s efforts were no more successful, adding only a major and a minor score, whilst Rangers piled on a further 2 goals and 4 points. The match was disappointing from the spectators’ point of view. Mr. Seamus Morrissey capably refereed.

Laune Rangers: P. Cronin (Brackhill), John T. O’Riordan, Denny Desmond (Cork), Denis Kidney (Kenmare), Bill Barry (Mallow), Jim Barry, J. Kavanagh, Mossy Power, Frank McCarthy, Kevin Ryle, Stephen O’Donoghue, Monnie O’Reilly, Peter O’Shea, Tom O’Connor, T. Herbert, Liam Foley.

O’Rahilly’s: M. O’Sullivan, D. O’Connor, Pat Clifford, D. Healy, Denis Fitzgerald, Simon Moynihan, Dan Spring, D. O’Sullivan, Tim Hayes, T. O’Connor, M. Moriarty, J. Horan, M. O’Neill, Dick Raymond, Joe O’Connor.

That was Laune Rangers first ever win in the Co. Senior Hurling Championship.


Rd. 4 on Sun. 10th Oct. at Killorglin; Laune Rangers 3-2; Kilgarvan 0-3.

That result caused something of a surprise, as the visitors were favourites. From the puck-in, Kilgarvan were on their mettle and it was soon obvious that the home team were out to win. P. Cronin, in goals, helped them considerably. The score at halftime was 2-0 to 0-1 in favour of the Rangers.

On the resumption, Kilgarvan were soon away and got in a point but Rangers retaliated, adding a major score after ten minutes. P. Finnegan, Kilgarvan, retired injured(he had a broken wrist)  but the visitors added a further point. However, the home side added two other minors to their total before the final whistle. Best for Rangers were Denny Desmond and J. Wynn. Best for Kilgarvan were O Brien and Dr. Dan J. O Callaghan.

Laune Rangers: P. Cronin, John T. O Riordan, Mossy Power, Ted Mangan, Monnie O Reilly, Denny Desmond, Denis Kidney, J. Kavanagh, Peter O Shea, J. Wynn, E. Hanrahan, Stephen O Donoghue, Michael Sheehan, Bill Barry, Mossy Roche.

Kilgarvan: C. Godfrey, C. O Sullivan, J. O Sullivan, P. Purcell, M. Purcell, P. Hickey, Jim O Brien, John O Brien, Denis Finnegan, P. Finnegan, M. Hurley, Dr. Dan. J. O Callaghan, W. McCarthy, J. Quille.

Ref: T. Ryle – capable.


Rd. 5 on Sun. 13th March 1938 at Killorglin: Killorglin 6-8; John Mitchels 2-3.

The small attendance was treated to a very mediocre exhibition of hurling, the Tralee side being outclassed in practically every department. The weather was dry and the sod was favourable. The winners fielded a promising fifteen who proved superior from the start and showed a better knowledge of the game. They, unlike the Tralee side, wasted no time but kept pulling on ground balls, which completely upset their opponents, who relied on the usual pick-up method. Long before the final whistle, there was no doubt as to the ultimate result, the only question being as to the winners’ margin at the close.

The home team, though playing against the sun, set down in earnest and shortly annexed a minor per J. Wynne. It was not until a major was scored (T. London), that Boherbue led an attack, which gave them their first score, a goal per D. Ryan. Monnie O Reilly, in turn, scored for the Rangers and only a further minor was scored by the visitors ere the halftime whistle sounded, leaving the score 4-4 to 1-1.

On the resumption, there were some very exciting passages. Kinnerk raised the green flag for Mitchels and it was thought that they would rise to the occasion. However, goals in quick succession by John T. O Riordan and D. Kidney wrote finish to their hopes. Mitchels scored two further points but the margin was too great to bridge. Both teams played in a sportsmanlike manner.

Killorglin: C. Flynn (goals), Ted Mangan, E. Hanrahan, Mossy Roche, J. Kavanagh, Bill Barry, Mossy Power, Denny Desmond, T. London, John T. O Riordan, J. Wynne, Paul O Shea, Denis Kidney, Jim Barry, Monnie Reilly.

John Mitchels: John Burrows (goals), Paddy Curran, Bill Kinnerk, Jerry Flynn, Tommy Duggan, J. Ryan, D. Ryan, J. Quill, Tommy Murphy, Con Geaney, J. J. O Callaghan, Paddy O Donoghue, W. Malley, W. Ryan, Pats O Mahony.


Semi-final on Sun. 20th March 1938 at Abbeydorney: St. Brendan’s 4-0; Killorglin 2-1.

Killorglin approached that game with great confidence. They were early attacking and were deserving of a score when John T. O Riordan turned a tricky ball in from the wing only to find the corner man lacking. D. Desmond returned them to the attack and Hussey saved at the expense of a ‘70’, which was fruitless. Good hard play was seen in that moiety, as the Laune men stormed the Brendan’s posts, but to no avail. J. P Reidy relieved the pressure and sent the forwards working, when a blunder by the Killorglin halfbacks left Riordan unmarked. He slipped through cleverly for the first goal. Halloran returned for the Brendan’s and Keane, receiving from Diggins, added another major. Brendan’s were then on top and O Brien got their third goal shortly before halftime. Close on the short whistle, M. Wynne broke away for Killorglin and notched a good point from far out to leave the halftime score at 3-0 to 0-1, in favour of the winners.

Killorglin again opened promisingly and John O Riordan and M. Wynne plied the inside forwards with good passes, which were not availed of. A good drive from midfield saw Riordan pierce the Killorglin net and it looked all over for the Laune men. However, D. Desmond drove them on and a long ball on the right wing left Monnie O Reilly in possession for a goal.  Play livened up considerably after that and became really exciting when Monnie O Reilly gave back a good pass to Denis Kidney for Killorglin’s second goal. They kept hammering away but a good Brendan’s defence, backed by a good goalie, saved the day.

Killorglin: C. Flynn, Ted Mangan, E. Hanrahan, Mossy Roche, J. Kavanagh, Bill Barry, Mossy Power, Denny Desmond, Jim Barry, John T. O Riordan, J. Wynne, P. Cronin, Denis Kidney, Monnie O Reilly, J. O Connor.

St. Brendan’s: Willie Hussey (goal), P. Diggins, J. Mahony, J. Stack, John O Halloran, Ticey Casey, E. Fitzgerald, John Paul Reidy, Pat Reidy, John Martin O Halloran (Ballyheigue), Jer O Brien, Tommy Diggins (Causeway), Brendan Riordan, J. McCarthy, J. Casey.

Ref: J. Murphy (Kenmare).

At the subsequent Co. Board meeting on 22nd March, Killorglin objected to St. Brendan’s being awarded the game. However, Mícheál Ó Ruairc, Rúnaí, announced that no fee had been received with the objection and it was ruled out of order.


Munster/All-Ireland Minor Football


Rd. 1 on Sun. 13th June at Killarney: Kerry 4-11; Cork 0-1.

Gerald Teahan played at midfield and Derry Burke played at right full-forward.


Semi-final on Sun. 11th July at Mitchelstown: Kerry 3-9; Tipperary 1-0.

Gerald Teahan played at centre halfback and he was the pick of the defenders. He gave a sparkling exhibition, fielding at great height and kicking at great length.  Derry Burke, at right full-forward, showed wonderful accuracy, scoring 1-1.


Final on Sun. 18th July at Limerick: Kerry 3-8; Clare 1-2.

Gerald Teahan played at centre halfback and Derry Burke at right full-forward.


All-Ireland Semi-final in Cork on Sun. 15th Aug: Kerry 1-6; Wexford 3-2.

Gerald Teahan played at centre halfback.


Munster Junior Football Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 16th May at Mitchelstown: Kerry 1-8; Cork 1-4.

John Joe Falvey played at left half-forward.


Semi-final on Sun. 11th July at Dungarvan: Tipperary 1-3; Kerry 0-5.

John Joe Falvey played at left half-forward.


Munster/All-Ireland Senior Football


Sun. 11th July at Mitchelstown: Kerry 2-11; Tipperary 0-4.

Murt Kelly was one of some prominent absentees.


Munster Final on Sun. 18th July in Limerick: Kerry 4-9; Clare 1-1.


Semi-final on Sun. 15th Aug. at Cork: Kerry 1-6; Laois 2-3.

Murt Kelly played at centre half-forward.


Replay at Waterford on Sun. 29th Aug: Kerry 2-2; Laois 1-4.

Murt Kelly played at right half-forward.


Final on Sun. 26th Sept. at Croke Park: Kerry 2-5; Cavan 1-8.


Final replay on Sun. 17th Oct. at Croke Park: Kerry 4-4; Cavan 1-7.

Kerry: Danno Keeffe, Bill Kinnerk, Joe Keohane, Bill Myers, Tim O Donnell, Bill Dillon, Tadhg Healy, Johnny Walsh, Sean Brosnan, Jack Flavin, Charlie O Sullivan, Tim Landers, John Joe Landers, Miko Doyle (capt.), Timmy O Leary. Subs: Tom Gega O Connor for T. O Donnell, Johnny McCarthy, Eddie Walsh, Paddy O Brien, Mick Raymond, Brendan Reidy. Both Gearóid Fitzgerald and Paddy Kennedy played in the drawn game. That was Kerry’s 12th title.


Munster Senior Hurling Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 9th May at Tralee: Waterford 9-5; Kerry 3-2.

E. Hanrahan played at right fullback for Kerry.


National Football League


Sun. 14th Feb. at Castlebar; Mayo 2-10; Kerry 2-1.

Murt Kelly played at full-forward.


Sun. 7th March at Killarney: Kerry 3-2; Galway 0-4.

Murt Kelly played at centre half-forward.



Robert O Keeffe, Laois, was Uachtarán CLG.


Frank McGrath, Tiobrad Árainn, was Chairman of the Munster Council, Seán McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer. The Council decided to appoint Seán McCarthy as permanent Secretary.


Co. Convention was held on Sun. 31st Jan. in the Christian Brothers’ School, Cahersiveen. (That was the first time that the Convention had been held outside of Tralee). Laune Rangers were represented by John Joe Falvey, Cormac Roche and P. O Shea. Jack O Dwyer was present as a member of the Co. Board. Liam McSweeney, Financial Secretary of the East-Kerry Board, was unable to attend as he had to go to the INTO Special Congress in Dublin. The following officers were elected: President – Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan; Chairman – Denis J. Baily; Vice-Chairmen – Chairmen of the District Boards; Secretary – John Joe Landers; Ass. Secretary – Mícheál Ó Ruairc; Treasurers – Con Clifford and John Moran; Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan. The Football Selection Committee was re-elected. A motion that the Football Selection Committee would be comprised of ex-county players received only two votes.


The East-Kerry Board Convention took place on Sun. 3rd Jan., in the Town Hall, Killarney. The Chairman, Eddie J. Moynihan (Headford), presided. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Eddie J. Moynihan; Vice-Chairmen – Jeremiah O Leary and Jack O Shea; Secretary – Denny O Sullivan (Legion); Financial Secretary – Liam McSweeney (Laune Rangers); Treasurer – Jack O Dwyer (Laune Rangers); Delegate to Congress – Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan; Representatives to Co. Board – Martin Wade and Liam McSweeney; Representative on Football Selection Committee – Martin Wade; Representative on Co. Financial Committee – Jack O Dwyer; Referees – Tadhg O Reilly (Laune Rangers), Danny Clifford (do.). The Laune Rangers’ delegates were Paddy Foley and John T. O Riordan.

A motion that half the Board meetings would be held in Killorglin (in order to reduce the burden of travel) was tabled by Laune Rangers, moved by Liam McSweeney and passed.


At the East-Kerry Board meeting in the UDC Hall, Killarney on Wed. 14th April, Laune Rangers Club was represented by John T. O Riordan and John Joe Falvey.

On Thurs. 13th May, John T. O Riordan, Tadhg O Reilly and Johnsie O Connor represented Laune Rangers at a meeting of the East-Kerry Board where referees’ reports were read, fixtures were made and the constitution of the Killarney Selection Committee was discussed.


The Co. Board decided to organise a seven-a-side competition early in the year for the Co. Championship teams, with a view to getting players into shape for the championship. The first round, Killorglin v West-Kerry, was scheduled for Killorglin on Sun. 17th Jan. but had to be called off due to the inclement weather. The Killorglin team would have been selected from Cormac Roche, Ted Mangan, Johnny Mangan, John Joe Falvey, Michael O Connor, Danny O Sullivan, Mick Buckley, William Knightly, Monnie O Reilly, Liam Foley and Owen Mangan. Unfortunately, due to many of those who were to engage in the contest in Killarney on the following Sunday, 24th Jan., being ill, the seven-a-side was again postponed.


On 31st July, Cormac Roche was tragically drowned while bathing in the Laune at the youthful age of 25 years, thus depriving the Rangers of one of their most notable players. Heroic efforts, at rescue, were made by Murt Kelly and Tadhg McGillycuddy, who had been bathing with him. Later, Sergeant O Brien, Castlemaine, recovered the body. The cortege was described thus, “First came the hearse, heavily laden with flowers and floral offerings, then the members of the Laune Rangers Football Club, of whom he was such a valuable member, not the least prominent being the members of the ‘Old Guard’. Then followed the selection, which had played with deceased just a week earlier, arranged in their jerseys of royal blue, marching under marshals Mike Joy and Sean T. O Riordan in slow, solemn and melancholy step. Then came a bodyguard from the local Volunteer Sluagh, whilst the coffin, draped in the tricolour, and, loosely on top, the Rangers jersey, he had so often donned with credit to his team, Laune Rangers, and himself, as custodian.”

The following dirge, penned by William M. O Brien, described the cortege and showed the high esteem in which Cormac Roche was held:

“I saw the Rangers massed in blue,

With braids of black upon the sleeve,

Their looks were sad – and then I knew

Some blow had come, when young men grieve.


Led by the line of Volunteers,

I saw the long procession go.

But ah! I saw the silent tears

Upon his comrades’ faces flow.


And sad and slow the cortege went

Along the scenes of his delight,

Where all his happy days were spent,

And all was happy in his sight.


His comrades of the Kerry Gael

Will miss his manhood in the game,

The watchful skill that could not fail,

The mirth he brought where ere he came.


‘Tis sad to part, at twenty three,

With one so gifted and so brave,

So full of life and joy was he,

That death seemed richer for his grave.


But we, his friends, are poorer far,

For what he was, so kind and bright,

His place, now voiceless, like a star

That quenches in the splendid night.


Our light is gone, by grief replaced,

By grief that will be with us long.

Memory is grief for that we’ve traced,

His worth in this, his funeral song.


In 1937, Jim Joy (Ballykissane) and Mick O Connor (both former Laune Rangers) transferred to The Geraldines Club, Dublin.


In 1937, Gerald Teahan made an application to transfer to Legion from Keel but his application was not successful.


Tadhg O Reilly refereed the following game, amongst others, for the East-Kerry Board:

Sun. 2nd May Senior Championship at Listry: Listry drew with Dr. Crokes.


John Joe Falvey refereed the following games, amongst others, for the East-Kerry Board:

Sun. 2nd May Senior Championship at Keel: Legion 1-2; Keel 0-2.

Sun. 9th May Junior Championship at Keel: Castlemaine failed to show and the referee awarded the game to Keel.


In 1937, a new football club came into existence in London (in the Harlesden area) named the Laune Rangers. The Chairman of the club was P. Sweeney, Killorglin, and the team was composed completely of Kerry boys. That the London Laune Rangers were adept at the game, like the famous team from which it derived its name, was proved by the exiled Rangers record. In its first year, the Rangers-on-the-Thames won the ‘B’ Championship and ‘B’ League of London. For that feat, the players were presented with a handsome set of medals by Liam Donovan, Secretary of London GAA, in the ‘Rose of Killarney,’ Cricklewood.


On Sun. 5th Sept. (due to the fact that the renovations in Croke Park had been delayed by a workers’ strike) the 50th All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final was played in the Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney. 43,000 people attended and Tipperary beat Kilkenny on the score of 3-11 to 0-3.


On Fri. Aug. 6th, a trial game was arranged for the Austin Stack Park to pick the team to play against Laois in the All-Ireland Semi-final. The teams represented the North and South of the county. John Joe Falvey was on the South Kerry panel. Apparently, the trial game did not achieve much as many of the selected players failed to show up.


Once the Kerry Senior team reached the All-Ireland Final, it was decided that the players should be allowed to train in their own areas, commencing on Mon. 6th Sept. Group commanders were appointed to look after the training in the different areas. Practice matches were arranged for each Wednesday evening, commencing on 8th Sept.

Upon Kerry winning its twelfth All-Ireland Senior Football Championship, W.M. O Brien, Secretary of the Old Laune Rangers team, pinned the following lines,

“Céad mile fáilte abhaile go Tráighlí.

Tralee, the Gaelic camp as proud as it can be,

For you’ve so often shown what Kerry men can do.

We feel we hold no honour great enough for you.

Gael of the Kerry Gaels are ye and so we raise

Our cheers to welcome you, to honour and to praise,

Your teams-men in their teens will win another day,

The army of reserve for Kerry’s GAA.


Your trophy shows that Kerry holds its olden place,

A worthy place amongst the best of all the race.

And Kerry clansmen all, in other, other lands away

Will think of you with pride as Kerry does today.

Where courage, skill and strength, where brains and will prevail,

You’ve won your rank and ours, the foremost of the Gael,

We greet you all with pride and let our greeting be

The welcome of the Kingdom in this rally of Tralee.”


Pat C. Sheehan, Mill Road, was a valuable member of the New York team in 1937. Prior to departure to America, Pat played with the Laune Rangers. Being a splendid footballer, he soon proved his worth in the States and became captain of the San Francisco team. He later removed to New York.


Liam McSweeney and Batty O Dwyer, both of Killorglin, were joint secretaries of the Co. Kerry NA&CA.


On Sun. 27th June, the National Eucharistic Congress was held in Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney.


On Mon. 17th May, the Killorglin Town Improvement Association met in the Carnegie Hall to make Liam McSweeney a presentation on the occasion of his wedding. Liam was the Chairman of the association. The presentation consisted of part tea service silver, purchased at C. Wolfe, Killorglin.


Following the General Election in July, the following represented the South-Kerry constituency: Jack Flynn (FF), F. H. Crowley (FF) and Fionán Lynch (FG).


Mr. Jeremiah McSweeney was Chairman of the Kerry Co. Council.


On Sun. 4th July, the Kerry Volunteer Championship Sports were held in Killorglin Sportsfield. Splendid weather conditions favoured the meeting and a big programme of events was thoroughly enjoyed by a very good attendance. The presence of the Army Band, in their picturesque uniforms, played no small part in making the meeting a huge success. The events were keenly contested and the close finishes in some of the foot and cycle races were loudly applauded. An exhibition of discus and javelin throwing and pole-vaulting, which closed the event, was greatly appreciated by the spectators, many of whom had not previously seen those features. Some results were as follows: Road Cycle Race (Milltown to Killorglin) – 1st T. Sheehan, Killorglin, 2nd J. Mangan, Tinnahalla, 3rd T. Mangan, Killorglin. School Boys’ Relay Race – 1st Killorglin, 2nd Cullina, 3rd Milltown. 16 lb. Shot – 1st Vol. J. Brosnan, Castleisland, 2nd Vol. Liam Foley, Killorglin.


On Sun. 11th July at Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, Dermot Sheehan, originally from Cromane, competing for UCD, won the All-Ireland Athletics Senior Championship long-jump, achieving 21ft. 4.25 inches.


When, on the approach of midnight on the 31st Dec. 1936, Guards J. Looby and M. O Connor placed a doddering, whiskered, old man under arrest and were assisting him towards the barracks, there were many sympathetic protests from those assembled in the Square, who were unaware that a little scene was being enacted and that the Guards and the life-expiring gent, John T. O Riordan, were engaged in dramatics. It was not until old man 1936 was placed on a platform and arraigned with loitering and being a public menace that many realised what was happening. Guard Looby read out a record that came under twenty-five headings – all bad. The bad weather, reduction of the dole, deprivation of free beef, bad water supply, diphtheria outbreak, world unrest and The Spanish War were the mildest, whilst the only items in the prisoner’s favour were an improved Puck Fair, the erection of 40 new houses in Baile Nua, the erection of a beautiful Technical School and the arrival of the ESB. The prisoner’s defence was weak and he was, by the unanimous verdict of all present, sentenced to banishment. Ere his removal, 1936’s last words were,

“I’ve nothing left to say except

I’ve failed old friends of mine.

I’ll join my peers of bygone years

While you sing ‘Auld Lang Syne’.

And then the band played lustily, Auld Lang Syne. Before the last stroke of midnight came, 1937 (Ms. Eva Foley), bright, gay and young was heartily welcomed. On the scroll, which she handed, she brought advantages and blessings under 25 headings. They included, increase in employment, new trade pact with England, new water supply from Coomloher, a branch of Christian Front, a local fire brigade, a general election guaranteeing the return of the people’s choice, a local bakery to supply local needs, a new public hall, a large prize in the sweep, a talkie cinema, more prosperity, more joy, more amusement, more happiness. As the new arrival left, there were thundering peals of applause. The band played a selection of national airs and vocal items were contributed by Jerry P. T. O Sullivan, M. J. Callaghan, J. C. Hogan, P. Cummins, John T. O Riordan, M. O Reilly, M. O Carroll, M. Houlihan, Joe O Shea, Dan Keating and J. Creeney. All were much appreciated. The National Anthem was played and sung lustily and then all was quiet. Thus was the New Year ushered in at Killorglin.


The Annual Convention of the East-Kerry Board was held on Sun. 23rd Jan. 1938. The Secretary, Denis O Sullivan, gave the following report: ‘In the senior competition there were seven teams, Dr. Crokes, Legion, Laune Rangers, Listry, Keel, Kenmare and Kilcummin, while we had ten junior teams, Rathmore, Headford, Ardea, Dr. Crokes, Legion, Laune Rangers, Listry, Keel, Farranfore and Castlemaine. Owing to circumstances over which we had no control, it was found impossible to finish the league within the year. Still, after today’s match, there remains only the final in the Senior League and, as we already have to curtail some of the fixtures in the Junior League owing to the financial position of the Board, it is to be hoped that we can fix the final of that division today. For the coming year, I would suggest that that clubs be asked to send in their affiliation fees much earlier, so as to give the Board an opportunity of starting the competitions earlier.

I am glad to say that the standard of football has improved during the year, especially in the country districts such as Listry and Keel. We had two teams in the Co. Football championship and both acquitted themselves well. One of the teams, Laune Rangers, was the only team to defeat John Mitchel’s, present Co. Champions, and Killarney played them to a draw. With a little more attention to training on the part of the players, both our teams should have gone further in the competition. At least one of them should have gone to the final.

It is to be very much regretted that some clubs failed to field teams when ordered to do so by the Board. In the interests of this Board and the association, I would strongly recommend that this practice be altered.

The Kerry team, the Co. Board and the Co. Selection Committee are to be congratulated on the winning of the All-Ireland Football Final. Tim O Leary and Billy Myers, our representatives on the county team, are also to be congratulated on winning All-Ireland medals.

In conclusion, I would like to thank the officials of the Board, the Club Secretaries, the Joint Secretaries of the Co. Board and the two local Press representatives for their kindness and courtesy to me during the past year.’ On the motion of Jack O Dwyer, seconded by Vincent Doyle, the report was unanimously adopted.