Laune Rangers 1956

 James Coffey was re-elected as Secretary/Treasurer of Killorglin Hurling Club for the third successive year.

Cromane was again a separate club.

Mid-Kerry reached the Co. Minor Semi-final for the third time but lost the Feale Rangers, the eventual winners, in the semi-final. Killorglin were represented by Peter Gill, Jackie Kerins and Jackie O Dwyer.

The Mid-Kerry Board decided to organise a juvenile (U-14) football competition for the first time.

A county juvenile (U-14) football league was organised for the first time, in which there were eight teams. Mid-Kerry reached the semi-final but lost to East-Kerry. Laune Rangers were represented by Pat Callanan, Cyril McGillycuddy, Vincent Lucey and Tony Lyons.

James Coffey was re-elected as Secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board and Paddy Foley was elected as Treasurer.

Killorglin Hurling Club reached the semi-final of the Co. Minor Hurling Championship but lost to Lixnaw.

*               *                     *                        *                          *                          *

The AGM of the club took place in the CYMS Hall on Sat. 7th January 1956. This was the first meeting of the club for over five years. The Chairman, Paddy Foley, in the course of his address, said that the meeting was the first step towards putting Laune Rangers on the trail of the county title. Everything possible would be done for the youth of the parish in the matter of football.

Officers elected:

Chairman – Paddy Foley.

V/Chairman – Christy O Riordan.

Secretary – Brendan Mangan.

Treasurer – Teddy Mangan.

Committee: Denny O Neill (Sunhill), Jackie Kerins (Callanfersy), James Coffey, Sean McKenna (Steelroe), James Griffin (Baile Nua), Michael Costello (Sunhill) plus the officers.

Team captain – Denny O Neill.

Senior Selection Committee: Denny O Neill, James Coffey, Christy O Riordan and Brendan Mangan.

It was decided to purchase a set of royal blue jerseys through Paddy Crowley. It was decided to play a practice game on Sun. 22nd January between Upper Town and Lower Town. A Town Cup would be run later in the year. It was further decided to purchase membership cards. Gene Mangan and the Kerry Cycling team were congratulated on their Rás Tailteann success. The victorious 1955 Kerry team was also congratulated.


Killorglin Hurling Club held its AGM on Tues. 3rd January 1956. In the unavoidable absence of Kevin Cremins, Chairman, and Tom Crowley, Vice-Chairman, James Griffin declared the meeting open. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1955). The next matter dealt with was the way the juveniles treated the club. The Secretary said that if the juveniles wished to play rugby instead of hurling, they were at will to leave the room. About six juveniles left – Billy Dodd, Patrick O Shea, Noel O Mahony, Declan Mangan, William O Reilly and Paul Kingston. The election of officers then took place as follows:

Chairman – Paddy Foley, Mill Road, (Proposed by James Griffin and seconded by Paddy O Neill).

Vice-Chairman – John Mulvihill (Proposed by Paddy O Neill and seconded by Paddy Foley).

Secretary/Treasurer – James Coffey (Proposed by J. Griffin and seconded by P. Foley).

Committee: Peter Gill, Teddy Mangan, Brendan Mangan, Paddy O Neill, Kevin Cremins, Tom Crowley and Jim Tobin.

Senior Captain – Brendan Mangan; Minor Captain – Teddy Mangan; Juvenile Captain – Owen Mangan; Juvenile Vice-Captain – Mikey Foley.

Referring the rugby game on the previous Sunday, the secretary said that a member of the committee had attended and, to make it worse, the same member had been warned not to go there. The Secretary said that they had the same trouble with that player the previous year and he had been left off with a caution. He put the matter before the meeting and, after a long discussion, it was decided to give him another chance. The member concerned was Patrick O Sullivan. The Secretary also mentioned a few other members who had attended but as O Sullivan had been left off, he thought it best to let them off, also. He took onto account the fact that it was the first rugby game in Killorglin for many years.

The Treasurer’s Report showed receipts of £445-4-2 for the year, expenses were £406-16-10, giving a credit balance of £38-7-4. After a long discussion on whether they should enter a senior and minor team in the Co. Championship, the Secretary proposed that the club be disbanded. James Griffin seconded the proposal. Tony O Donoghue proposed an amendment that they should carry on with the club. Paddy Foley seconded that proposal and it was carried by a large majority. It was then decided to enter senior, minor and juvenile teams for the Co. Championships. It was also decided to play friendly games with the following teams: Senior – Ardfert and possibly Ballyheigue, Minor – Austin Stacks and Iveragh (those games would be played during the Easter holidays). Commenting on the attitude of the Mid-Kerry Board in the way that they would not recognise the hurling club as a club in the area, the Secretary said that it was a very unjust decision made by the Board, when it refused the hurling club delegates a vote at the Annual Convention. The vote concerned the fixing of dates for the Mid-Kerry Football League. The Secretary said that the dates of the league concerned the hurling club because most of the hurlers were members of the Killorglin Football team and if the dates clashed, the hurlers and footballers would be divided. After a long discussion, it was decided to send two delegates to the next meeting of the Board to tell the Board that the Hurling Club would not fix dates to suit the football club or the Mid-Kerry Board. The Secretary then appealed to the members of the club to support Gaelic houses. He said that, in the town, certain people depended on the hurlers and footballers to buy the Gaelic goods from them but those people were the enemies of the GAA and supported rugby in the town. He told the members to come to the Committee if they wanted to purchase Gaelic goods in the future. Before the meeting adjourned, the members said a short prayer for the speedy recovery to health of one of the club’s best members, Jim Tobin.

Brendan Mangan (Dromin)

Brendan Mangan (Dromin)
He played both football and hurling with Killorglin.
He played on the Kerry Minor Hurling team in 1953.
He was Ass-Secretary of Laune Rangers Club in 1956
He played with the Kickham’s Club in Dublin.
He won a Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship with Laune Rangers in 1963.

Co. Senior Football Championship

Sixteen teams entered for the Co. Senior Football Championship. Entry fee was 2/6, payable before 1st March.

Group A: North Kerry, Dingle, Austin Stacks and Castleisland.

Group B: Kerins O Rahillys, St. Brendan’s, Ballymacelligott and Castlegregory.

Group C: Killarney, John Mitchel’s, Mid-Kerry and East Kerry Eoghan Ruadh.

Group D: Desmonds, Kenmare, Killarney Crokes and South Kerry.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 8th April at 2.30pm at Killarney: Killarney Legion 2-5; Mid-Kerry 1-5.

When the fixture was read at the Mid-Kerry Board meeting of 13th March, it was decided to have a trial game on Sun. 18th March in Milltown at 3.30pm – a team from the Laune Rangers, Glenbeigh and Cromane clubs would play a team from the Keel, Beaufort and Milltown/Castlemaine clubs. (Gate receipts for this trial yielded £2-0-0) After the game the selectors picked a Mid-Kerry team to play the rest in another trial game in Killorglin on Easter Sunday. (Gate receipts for this trial were £6-0-0) Each club was responsible for the transport of its players to the first trial and the Board would do its best to pay car expenses for the second trial.

The game was well up to championship standard, with the result in doubt up to the final whistle. Legion opened the scoring with a goal by John Joe Sheehan and John L. O Sullivan got another one some ten minutes later. Jim Foley replied with a point for Mid-Kerry and Batty Foley scored a goal. Jimmy Redpath notched a point for Legion and Seamus Murphy added two more without reply before the interval. The second half opened with a Sean O Sullivan point for Mid-Kerry but Mickey Culloty replied with a like score for the home side. There was some loose kicking then until Donal Coughlan raised the white flag for Mid-Kerry and just on the time, Fleming replied with a point for the Legion. It was after making some positional switches that Mid-Kerry made a great comeback. Donal Coughlan was outstanding.

Mid-Kerry: John Cournane, Denny O Neill (Killorglin), Patrick Heffernan (Cromane), Donal Coughlan (Beaufort), Jerry M. Foley (Keel), Willie Barton (Keel), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Jim Foley (Keel), Charlie O Shea (Beaufort), Brendan Mangan (Killorglin), Sean Gill (Killorglin), Sean Horan (Milltown), Michael O Riordan (Cromane), Batty Foley (Killorglin), Sean P. O Sullivan (Glenbeigh). Subs: Dan Sheehan (Cromane), Michael McKenna (Keel), Patie O Riordan (Cromane), Christy O Riordan (Killorglin), Stephen O Sullivan (Cromane), Paddy Conway/O Connor (Milltown/Castlemaine), Michael Costello (Killorglin) and Teddy Mangan (Killorglin).

Ref: J. McCarthy (Kenmare).


Rd. 2 on Sun. 29th April at 3.30pm at Rathmore: Eoghan Ruadh 1-9; Mid-Kerry 1-7.

(Eoghan Ruadh consisted of Rathmore, Glenflesk, Kilcummin and Listry).

In a thrill packed game, brimful of good football and sportsmanship, two evenly matched teams set a fast pace from the throw-in and maintained it to the final whistle. With never more than three points in the difference, the game was in the balance to the end. Eventually, the Rathmore side, Eoghan Ruadh, ran out winners and Mid-Kerry bowed out of the Co. Senior Football Championship. The winners owed their victory to their fullback line of Pascal O Connor, Denis Fleming and Con Dineen. For long periods of the first half, they withstood sustained attacks by the Mid-Kerry forwards. Midfield play was dominated by Mid-Kerry’s Jim Foley, who gave an exhibition of high fielding and lengthy kicking. His forwards, however, turned the good service to bad account because they overplayed the ball in their anxiety to get goals, with points there for the taking. They were very fast and gained possession of most broken balls but less frills would have paid better dividends in a game of fast and resolute tackling.

Mid-Kerry: John Cournane (Keel), Michael McKenna (Keel), Donal Coughlan (Beaufort), Michael Costello (Killorglin), Charlie O Shea (Beaufort), Willie Barton (Keel), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Jerry Foley (Keel), Jim Foley (Keel), Brendan Mangan (Killorglin), Denny O Neill (Killorglin), Sean Horan (Milltown/Castlemaine), Sean Gill (Killorglin), Batty Foley (Killorglin), Jim Moriarty (Glenbeigh). Subs: Sean Cahill (Beaufort), Sean O Sullivan, Christy O Riordan (Killorglin), Teddy Mangan (Killorglin), John Joe Ladden Milltown/Castlemaine), Johnny O Sullivan (Glenbeigh).

Ref: James O Donoghue (Lisivigeen)..


South-Kerry, captained by Ned Fitzgerald, won the Co. Football Championship Final, beating Kerins O Rahilly’s on the score of 1-11 to 0-10 on Sun. 14th Oct.


Mid-Kerry Senior Championship

Laune Rangers’ Selection Committee – Denny O Neill, James Coffey, Christy O Riordan and Brendan Mangan.

The Championship was run on a league basis – a double round with each club playing the other, home and away. There were six teams Killorglin, Cromane, Glenbeigh, Keel, Beaufort and Milltown/Castlemaine.


Sun. 12th Feb. at Killorglin: Killorglin 2-4; Beaufort 0-3.

Killorglin, who led at halftime by 2-3 to 0-1, were on the attack for most of the first half but bad shooting by their forwards cost them many scores. In the second half, Beaufort did most of the attacking but a strong Killorglin defence, in which Teddy Mangan and Jackie O Dwyer were outstanding, mastered every move by the Beaufort forwards. Batty Foley, at centre-field, was the outstanding player on view. He was well assisted by Brendan Mangan. Sean McKenna, Sean Foley and Patrick Sullivan were the best of the forwards. Killorglin, who were short many of their regulars, fielded a very young team. Best for Beaufort were Charlie O Shea, Patrick Galvin, Sean Cahill and Pete Doyle. A new football unaccountably disappeared at the conclusion of the game. It was surmised that some supporter of the visiting team, took it on the assumption that it was their property.

Ref: Tom Lynch (Beaufort).


Sun. 26th Feb. at Killorglin: Killorglin 1-6; Cromane 0-2.

The game, in glorious sunshine before a large crowd, was played at a very fast pace and some hectic struggles were witnessed near the Killorglin goals, particularly in the first half when Cromane kept the ball in the Killorglin half for most of the time. Once again the Killorglin defence, in which Jackie Kerins, Teddy Mangan, Peter Gill and Jackie O Dwyer starred, was outstanding. Cromane led at halftime by 0-2 to 0-0.

In the second half, Killorglin took complete control at midfield, where the Foley brothers, Batty and Paudie, were outstanding, Christy O Riordan had two beautiful points to equalise and from then on Killorglin never looked back. Best of the forwards were Christy O Riordan, Sean McKenna, Brendan Mangan and Sean Foley. Outstanding for Cromane were Dan Sheehan, P. Sheehan, Sean O Sullivan and Michael O Riordan. The gate receipts for the game were £3-7-6.

Ref: Tom Lynch (Beaufort) – very capable.


Sun. 25th March at Killorglin: Killorglin 0-4; Glenbeigh 1-2.

That was an unexpected win. Glenbeigh had the advantage of the wind in the first half but were rather slow to settle. The halftime score was 0-2 to 0-1 in favour of the visitors. Killorglin were the more reliable fielders but the forwards frittered away many scoring chances. The Glenbeigh defence was sound. The game was played in a fine sporting manner. The gate receipts were £2-3-0.


Sun. 15th April at Milltown: Milltown/Castlemaine 4-2; Cromane 1-4.

Cromane set the pace in the opening stages and led by 1-3 to 0-2 at the interval. In the second half, Milltown/Castlemaine took up the running and gave the visitors a busy time. O Brien, Sean Horan and Johnny O Sullivan showed a great return to form, sweeping all before them up to the final whistle.


Sun. 6th May at Killorglin: Killorglin 0-6; Milltown/Castlemaine 1-1.

Milltown, playing with the breeze in the first half, attacked from the throw-in but were held out by a strong Killorglin defence and it was the home side who opened the scoring with two points. Just before halftime, Milltown scored a lucky goal to give them a halftime lead of 1-0 to 0-2.

After the change over, it was all Killorglin for the first quarter but their forwards threw away many scoring opportunities. Killorglin built up a two points lead and, in a very exciting finish, Milltown went all out for a goal and missed many easy points by doing so. It was a hard clean game played in a sporting manner. At the end, Killorglin were on the attack again. Best for Killorglin were Batty Foley, Denny O Neill, Jackie Kerins, Brendan Mangan and Sean Gill. Gate receipts for the game were £1-7-0.

Ref: J. Foley (Keel).


Sun. 27th May at Keel: Keel beat Killorglin. Gate receipts were £4-10-6.

Ref: Brother Munchin (Milltown).


Sun. 3rd June at Beaufort: Beaufort 0-3; Killorglin 0-6.

The game was played under very unfavourable weather conditions at Beaufort Sportsfield. Killorglin had the advantage of a slight breeze in their favour in the opening half but this was negatived by a decided superiority enjoyed by their opponents at centre field. During the first fifteen minutes of play, it appeared as if Charlie O Shea had almost complete control of the midfield section for Beaufort. This made matters pretty difficult at times for the Killorglin backs who, however, rose to the occasion and were invariably the equals, if not the masters, of the Beaufort forwards. There was erratic shooting on both sides, particularly by Killorglin. This, however, was due in apart to the adverse weather conditions prevailing. The halftime score was one point each.

After the interval, Killorglin had made a few positional changes and began to show a marked improvement, which they retained to the end. Brendan Mangan sent over a point for the visitors, but Sean Cahill was not long in notching the equaliser. Five minutes later, Brendan Mangan again pointed for Rangers and within the following two minutes Sean Cahill replied with the equaliser. In the last fifteen minutes Brendan Mangan had 2 points and Denny O Neill 1 point for the Rangers.

Ref: Tom Lynch (Beaufort).


Sun. 17th June at Killorglin: Cromane 1-7; Beaufort 0-4.

In the first half, Michael O Sullivan, Michael O Riordan and John Clifford (The Lake) had a point each for a strong Cromane team. Beaufort failed to get a score although the forwards sent wide several times. The second half saw a somewhat improved Beaufort side but, despite that, Cromane continued not only to hold but actually to increase their lead. Michael O Riordan had two points but Charlie O Shea replied with two for Beaufort within the next five minutes. Tim Corkery (Cromane) sent over a further brace of points and, again, Charlie O Shea and Sean Cahill each notched a minor for Beaufort. With time running out, John Clifford got through for a goal for Cromane.


Sun. 22nd July at J. P. O Sullivan Park, Killorglin: Killorglin 0-1; Keel 2-2.

Despite the fact that the winners were definitely the superior side, the game produced a spectacular exhibition of fast, robust football in which nothing soft or easy was conceded by either side. This was particularly true of Killorglin who, although opposing a team enjoying a decided advantage in weight and strength, strenuously contested every inch of ground and were still fighting grimly when the final whistle sounded.

After seven minutes play Jackie Foley opened the scoring with a goal for Keel. Killorglin replied with a point from Jackie Kerins and Foley pointed for Keel shortly before the interval.

On the resumption, Keel went all out to increase their lead but the local defence, in which Owen Mangan was outstanding, was not giving away any gift scores. Midway in the second half, Michael Griffin raised a white flag for Keel and then Brendan Mangan (Killorglin) sent over the bar from a 30 yards’ free but the score was disallowed as the kick was taken before the whistle went. His second attempt went wide.

The Killorglin backs successfully disposed of two hot raids on their goal but following a short kick-out, Keel returned to the attack and in a fierce ruck in the Killorglin square, Michael Griffin punched the leather to the net for the last score of the game.

Faulty forward play by Killorglin in the second half robbed them of the game. With eleven wides in the last quarter, they threw away the chances that could have changed the final score. Play right through was excellent and of a very high quality.

Ref: Liam Conway/O Connor (Milltown).


Final on Sun. 26th Aug. at Milltown: Glenbeigh v Keel. Ref: James Coffey (Killorglin).

The referee was complimented on his handling of a difficult, robust game. It was abandoned near the end when spectators invaded the pitch after umpire, Murt Kelly, disallowed a Keel goal for a square infringement. The score at the time was Glenbeigh 2-1; Keel 0-6.

At the Mid-Kerry Board meeting on the following Thurs. night (30th Aug.) in Dingle, after the minor game, chaired by Father McCloskey, the main item on the agenda was the unfinished game. Willie Barton, on behalf of the Keel team, said that on a few previous occasions the team had been wronged and when the goal was disallowed on Sunday, the team was provoked. They thought the goal was a fair one. He said that the conduct of a few of the Keel team was uncalled for. He said that if the game was awarded to Glenbeigh, it would be very hard to get a team in Keel the following year. Jimmy Doherty, on behalf of Glenbeigh, said that the game should be given to Glenbeigh because the Keel captain refused to continue the game and that should be enough evidence for the Board. Murt Kelly said that when the referee brought the captains together, he should have given them three minutes to decide. The referee said that he called the captains. He did not know about the three minutes and when the Keel captain refused, he abandoned the game. After a long discussion and, when it seemed that no decision would be reached, the Chairman adjourned the meeting but he asked the Keel delegate, Willie Barton, to find out if his team-mates would be willing to give the game to Glenbeigh. He also asked the Glenbeigh delegates to find out if their team would agree to a replay. At the meeting of 2nd Sept. in Killorglin, Chaired by Father McCloskey, the Keel and Glenbeigh delegates agreed to abide by rigid adherence to rule. The pertinent rule was rule 140. It was resolved, on the Chairman’s casting vote, to submit the referee’s report and the statement of the meeting to a neutral chairman – Mr. Frank Sheehy, Chairman Co. Board. It was decided that one delegate from each of the two clubs plus Father McCloskey would meet with Frank Sheehy and present him with the referee’s report and the following facts:

  1. Mid-Kerry League Final, played at Milltown on Sun. 26th August.
  2. Referee – James Coffey (Killorglin). Umpires – Murt Kelly, Donal Coughlan, Liam Coughlan and Michael Shanahan (all from Beaufort).
  3. Glenbeigh claim the match on Rule 140.
  4. Keel stated that the referee violated the rule by (a) not allowing a certain time – say three minutes and (b) not looking for the names of the Keel players wishing to continue the game.
  5. Pitch invaded at 5.15pm. 15 or 20 minutes elapse between the incident mentioned in the referee’s report and the calling off of the game.

It appears that after the meeting, a Glenbeigh delegate was struck by a Keel player, Larry McKenna. The matter was raised at the Mid-Kerry meeting on 11th Sept. in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin. Willie Barton apologised for the actions of the player and he said the player would not be allowed to play with Keel again. The meeting decided to expel the player for life from playing in the Mid-Kerry GAA area.

The game was subsequently awarded to Glenbeigh. John McGillycuddy, Dooks, played on that Glenbeigh team.


Laune Rangers Cup (Winter League)

At the Mid-Kerry meeting on 11th Sept. it was decided that the winners of Killorglin and Beaufort game would reach the final. Keel beat Milltown/Castlemaine at Castlemaine, with James Coffey as referee and Glenbeigh received a walkover from Cromane.


Semi-Final on Sun. 23rd Sept. at Killorglin: Killorglin v Beaufort.

Neither the referee nor the Beaufort team turned up for the game.

At the Mid-Kerry Board meeting on 9th October, The Chairman, Father Kelly said that he would have no hesitation in awarding the game to Killorglin if the referee had been there but since the referee also had failed to turn up, he could do nothing but re-fix the game.


Semi-finals on Sun. 21st Oct. at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 2-10; Keel 4-4. Ref: James Coffey.

Killorglin 3-2; Beaufort 1-2.

Except for the last quarter, the game was dull. Best for Killorglin were Jackie Kerins, Teddy Mangan, Denny O Neill, Batty Foley, Christy O Riordan, Jackie O Dwyer and Den Mangan. Best for Beaufort were Charlie O Shea, Pete Doyle, Patrick Galvin and Jimmy O Shea.

Ref: Willie Barton (Keel).

At the subsequent Mid-Kerry Board meeting in the J.P. O Sullivan Park, the Beaufort delegate, Patrick Galvin argued that the first half of the game ended ten minutes before time and on that account he objected to the game being awarded to Killorglin. The Chairman, Father Kelly said that the referee’s report was final and the Beaufort delegate withdrew his objection. James Coffey had refereed the first game on that date and he reported that it was played in a fine sporting manner except for an incident after the game when one of the Keel team abused him and tried to assault him. However, the player apologised afterwards. The Chairman said that an end should be put to the business of threatening referees. However, since he had apologised, it was decided to let the player off with a warning that if it happened again, he would be suspended for twelve months.


Final on Sun. 25th Nov. at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 1-5; Killorglin 1-1.

The survival of the fittest! Those words would have to be written down in bold capitals in any impartial verdict of that game. Glenbeigh were hot favourites but their opponents took the field fully confident of their ability, if not to conquer, at least to keep the issue open until the final whistle. That they almost succeeded in doing.

The game, all through, was played at a fast, furious pace and was marked by such hard tackling and over-robust efforts on both side as to render stylish play virtually impossible. In addition, ground conditions were anything but pleasant and, approaching the end of the second half, patches of the pitch resembled a skating rink.

The game opened on a lively note and any expectations, which the league champions entertained of a soft final were quickly dispelled by a resolute Killorglin fifteen who appeared to arrive on time wherever they were required and, having got there, were not disposed to pull their punches.

At midfield, Glenbeigh retained their superiority, while their forwards, although well held for most of the hour, appeared to make better use of their chances than did their opposite numbers. Midway in the opening half, Paddy O Sullivan opened the scoring with a goal for Glenbeigh. Shortly afterwards, Johnny Coffey sent over a point. Michael Murphy was fouled going through and, from the penalty kick, Sean Gill, for Killorglin, sent a sizzler under the bar to leave the score at halftime 1-1 to 1-0 in favour of Glenbeigh.

On resuming, Glenbeigh broke away and the local defence was soon under heavy pressure. That pressure was maintained until Jerry O Riordan, from a 30 yards free, increased Glenbeigh’s lead by a point. Five minutes later, he again pointed so that Glenbeigh led by three points after twelve minutes. It was becoming apparent at that stage that a few of the Launeside boys would not prove equal to the test of sixty minutes hard going. Evidence of exhaustion and lack of training was now beginning to settle on them.

From a cluster of players on the twenty-one yards line, Denny O Neill (Killorglin) sent over a point. In the last ten minutes, Paddy O Riordan and Paddy O Sullivan pointed for the winners. James Coffey, goalkeeper, dived full length to save what seemed a certain goal from the Glenbeigh full-forward, Paddy Brennan. Glenbeigh kept up the pressure but a strong Killorglin defence, in which Jackie O Dwyer and Peter Gill were outstanding, kept the forwards out. During that period, Sean Gill, who appeared to have struck his best form even in Sunday’s trial of strength, sent in a pile-driver, which passed a few inches wide of the Glenbeigh upright. Christy O Riordan was most unlucky with a great effort, also.

Had Killorglin been capable of maintaining, in the second half, their first moiety performance, it is indeed difficult to say how the scoreboard would have read at the end. It so happened, however, that half a dozen, at least, of their side were not equal to the test of lasting a hard hour and therein lies the explanation of their failure. Best for Killorglin were Sean Gill, Peter Gill, Jackie O Dwyer, Jackie Kerins, Denny O Neill, Batty Foley, Paudie Foley, Teddy Mangan and Sean McKenna. Outstanding for Glenbeigh were the Riordan brothers, Jerry, Matty and Paddy, Jim Moriarty, Paddy Brennan, Sean O Sullivan, Diarmuid O Sullivan and Johnny McCarthy.

Before the game, the teams paraded around the field behind the Laune Pipers’ Band. After the game, the Laune Rangers Cup was presented to the Glenbeigh captain, Denny Sheahan, by the Chairman of the Mid-Kerry Board, Father Brian Kelly.

Ref: Tom Kelliher (Keel).

Each club taking part in the league was given the expenses for one car.


Senior Parish League


At the club meeting of Mon. 17th September, it was decided to run a Town League (for the Town Cup) between Lower Town, Upper Town and Caragh Lake. Dungeel, Steelroe and Dromin played with Lower Town. Sunhill, Douglas and Reen played with Upper Town. Farrentoreen played with Caragh Lake.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 30th Sept. at 3.30pm: Upper Town v Caragh Lake. Ref: Teddy Mangan.


Co. Minor Football Championship

There were sixteen teams, as in the Co. Senior Football Championship.


Rd. 1 on Thurs. 10th May at 7.00pm at Killarney: Mid-Kerry 2-8; Killarney Legion 0-1.

This was a scrappy game. The Legion’s forward line proved faulty on many occasions, while their goalie made some great saves. Mick O Sullivan got Legion’s only score.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Mangan (Killorglin), Michael O Connor (Milltown/Castlemaine), Jim Moriarty (Glenbeigh) 0-2, Peter Gill (Killorglin), Jackie O Dwyer (Killorglin), Sean Cahill (Beaufort), George Evans (Keel), Eoin O Sullivan (Miltown/Castlemaine), Jackie Kerins (Killorglin), Patrick O Sullivan (Killorglin) 1-1, Patrick Cronin (Milltown/Castlemaine) 1-3, Timmy Hannafin (Keel), Jimmy Lucey (Killorglin), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh) 0-2, Jer Long (Keel). Subs:  John McGillycuddy, Dooks (Glenbeigh), J. Shea, P. Murphy, Denny Kerrisk (Keel).

Ref: Tom Lynch (Beaufort).


Rd. 2 on Wed. 11th July at 8.00pm at Killorglin: Mid-Kerry 2-4; John Mitchels 1-3.

Mid-Kerry dominated the play for most of the hour, but their forwards failed to make use of the fine scoring chances given them by midfielder, Jerry O Riordan, who played an outstanding games all through. Mitchels were very lucky to have won. They scored two very soft goals and their forwards were not up to the standard associated with the Mitchels teams of old. Their backs were very sound. Outstanding for Mitchels were Turner, Alan Conway, Sean Og Sheehy and Connor. Best for Mid-Kerry were Jim Moriarty, Peter Gill, Sean Cahill and Jerry O Riordan.

George Evans was right half-back as Jackie Kerins had been injured in a hurling game and had to play in goals. He was switched out in the second half to mark Sean Og Sheehy and, though he was unable to kick the ball, he punched it instead.

Ref: V. Moran (Killarney).

In preparation for the above Co. Championship, Mid-Kerry Minors played Killorglin Senior team in a challenge at Killorglin on 6th July. The team was Jackie Kerins (goals), Michael O Connor, Donal Coughlan, Peter Gill, Jackie O Dwyer, Teddy Mangan, George Evans, Jerry O Riordan, Ned O Shea, James Woods, Eoin O Sullivan, Jer Long, Diarmuid (Dem) O Sullivan, Jim Moriarty, Patrick Cronin. Subs: Sean Cahill, Timmy Hannafin, Liam Scully, Kevin Scully and T. O Brien.


Rd. 3 on Fri. 27th July at Killarney (Seminary Field): Mid-Kerry 1-4: Eoghan Ruadh 0-0.

With that win, Mid-Kerry had qualified for the quarter-finals of the Co. Championship. The game was played under torrential rain, with thunder and lightning. At halftime, Mid-Kerry led by 0-2 to 0-0. Jerry O Riordan gave a good display at midfield and he was well assisted by Ned O Shea. Sean Cahill and Brian Wall played well in defence, while Liam Scully, Kevin Scully and Jim Moriarty were the best of the forwards. Best for Eoghan Ruadh were P. Hussey and Pascal O Connor.

Ref: J. O Connor (Killorglin).


Quarter-final on Fri. 31st Aug. at Dingle: Mid-Kerry 4-10; Dingle 1-1.

As the scoreline suggested, Mid-Kerry completely outclassed Dingle. The game was played under inclement weather conditions and from the first quarter, the Mid-Kerry lads asserted their superiority. Prominent for the winners were Michael O Connor, Michael Foley, Jer Long, Kevin Scully, Sean Cahill and Jim Moriarty. Dingle’s prominent players were P. Griffin, C. Kennedy, S. O Brien, S. Garvey, Gearóid Cronin and T. Ashe.


Semi-Final on Sun. 2nd Sept. at J. P. O Sullivan Park, Killorglin: Mid-Kerry 0-4; Feale Rangers 1-5.

Had the scores been reversed, it would probably have been the more fitting result to a keenly contested game, for the winners, though they appeared to show some slight superiority in the first half with a stiff breeze at their backs, were compelled to fight with their backs to the wall for most of the second moiety. Mid-Kerry’s failure may be attributed more to erratic finishing than to the unflagging resistance of the North Kerry defence.

Despite weather and ground conditions, which can only be described as miserable, the teams served up a sparkling exhibition of robust, vigorous football in which close tackling was the keynote on both sides.

Feale Rangers broke away from the throw-in and within a minute, Liam Hanrahan sent a curling ball over the Mid-Kerry bar. In the twelfth minute, from a scramble on the edge of the square, Jim Harmon sent a sizzler into the Mid-Kerry net. Five minutes later, Brendan Hennessy, the star of the Feale Rangers midfield, raised a white flag. Up to this, the only real difference between the sides, apart from the wind advantage, was that the Feale boys were turning their openings to better account and appeared to be operating as a more balanced combination. Willie Ross again pointed for the Rangers and in the twentieth minute Mid-Kerry had its first score when Jackie O Dwyer placed Liam Scully for a nice point. Shortly before the interval, Brendan Landers added a point to leave the halftime score Feale Rangers 1-4; Mid-Kerry 0-1.

On the resumption, the Rangers were again first away and Brendan Hennessy sent over the bar to give his side a seven points lead after five minutes of the second half. Mid-Kerry then rallied and stormed the North Kerry goal. During the closing twenty minutes the ball was seldom outside the Rangers 50 yards line. Going all out to pull the game out of the fire, The Mid-Kerry attack kept up a non-stop offensive but the opposing defenders knew their job. Assault after assault was driven back, but it is possible and even probable, that had the forwards tried for points instead of goals, the side might now be in the final.

Despite their fairly safe margin, Feale Rangers looked all over a beaten side in the last quarter. Some indication of the pressure on their goals is in the ten fifties, which   they were forced to concede in twenty minutes. During the same period, they had one solitary wide while their opponents shot a minimum of twelve. A mere three points, however, was Mid-Kerry’s reward for all their efforts in a closing rally, which thrilled supporters and opponents alike. The points were scored by Jerry O Riordan (1), Liam Scully (1) and Jim Moriarty (2).

Mid-Kerry: John McGillycuddy (Dooks), Peter Gill (Killorglin), Donal Coughlan (Beaufort), Michael O Connor (Milltown), Jackie Kerins (Killorglin), Sean Cahill (Beaufort), Jackie Dwyer (Killorglin), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Ned O Shea (Keel), Ger Long (Keel), Michael Foley (Keel), Kevin Scully (Glenbeigh), Jim Moriarty (Glenbeigh), Larry McKenna (Keel), Liam Scully (Glenbeigh).

Ref: Gerald Price (John Mitchels) – capable.


Sun. 9th Sept. Co. Minor Football Semi-Final: Dr. Crokes 1-2; South Kerry 2-5.

Ref: James Coffey (Killorglin).


Co. Minor Football Final on Sun. 30th Sept. at Tralee: Feale Rangers 1-6; South-Kerry 0-6.


Mid-Kerry Minor Football Championship

The minor championship was revived by the Board after a lapse of many years.

It was decided that Killorglin would play Glenbeigh in the best of three games. Milltown/Castlemaine and Keel would do likewise. The winners would progress to the final.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 1st April at 3.30pm: Killorglin beat Glenbeigh.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 1st July at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh beat Killorglin.

This was a big surprise against a fancied Killorglin side. At halftime, the visitors led by 1-0 to 0-0, after playing with a strong breeze. Jerry O Riordan was the outstanding player on view. He was well supported by Jim Moriarty, Liam Scully and T. McCarthy. Best for Killorglin were Jimmy Lucey, Jackie O Dwyer, Jackie Kerins, Denny O Reilly and Teddy Mangan. Owen Mangan played in goals, Peter Gill was at corner-back, Jackie Kerins at centre halfback, Jackie O Dwyer was at left half-back and Patrick (Smith) O Sullivan was at right full-forward. Both teams were even on points, so a play-off was needed to decide which team would progress to the final. Many of the players cycled to Glenbeigh for that match.


Play-off on Sun. 22nd July at Glenbeigh at 8.00pm: Glenbeigh received a walkover from Killorglin, who withdrew from the competition.

Final on Sun. 19th Aug. at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 2-5; Milltown 1-2.

Ref: James Coffey (Killorglin).

At the Mid-Kerry Board meeting of 12th June, it was decided that each club would have to get a form signed by the local curate to prove that their minors were underage.


Mid-Kerry Juvenile (U-14) League

At the Mid-Kerry Board meeting on Tues. 10th April, it was decided to let the running of the juvenile league in the hands of the clergy and teachers. This was the first juvenile competition ever run by the Board and arose out of a motion that was passed at Co. Convention, ‘that a Schoolboys’ League be set up, and the machinery for the running of the competition be set up as a result of a meeting of representatives of two delegates from each District Board area.’ Such a meeting took place in the CYMS Hall, Tralee on Fri. 20th April – James Coffey, Secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board sent a telegram informing that he was unable to attend but that Mid-Kerry would enter a juvenile team from the Board area. The main rules were that players had to be U-14 on the first of January and the county competition was run on a knock-out basis.


Mon. 30th April: Rev. Father McCloskey (Milltown) presided at a meeting of the Mid-Kerry Juvenile League, held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin. Other officers present were: James Coffey (Sec.), Rev. Father Kelly (Glenbeigh), Rev. Father Colbert, Rev. Brother Munchin, Tom Corcoran NT and Johnny Mangan NT.

It was decided that, for the purposes of the league, Killorglin would be divided into two sections each supplying one team, while four other teams would be supplied by Milltown, Castlemaine, Glenbeigh and Beaufort. The teams were further divided into two groups:

Group A: Castlemaine, Milltown, Killorglin (Lower).

Group B: Glenbeigh, Beaufort, Killorglin (Upper).

The playing pitch for all matches would be 100 yards X 70 yards.


Thurs. 10th May at Castlemaine: Castlemaine 1-2; Killorglin (Lr.) 3-7.

at Glenbeigh :   Glenbeigh 3-5; Killorglin (Upr.) 0-2.


Wed. 23rd May: Killorglin Lr. 2-3; Milltown 3-7.

Fri. 25th May :   Killorglin Upr. 5-4; Beaufort 1-0.


Semi-finals: Killorglin Lr. 0-2; Glenbeigh 0-5.

Milltown 1-3; Killorglin Upr. 0-0.


Final on Sun. 17th June at Glenbeigh: Milltown/Castlemaine 2-3; Glenbeigh 1-3.

Ref: Christy O Riordan (Killorglin).


Co. U-14 District Board Football Championship

That was the inaugural year of the competition. There were eight teams, one from each District Board.


Rd. 1 on 31st May at Kenmare: Kenmare lost to Mid-Kerry. Ref: Denis P. O Sullivan (Kilgarvan).


Rd. 2 Mid-Kerry defeated South-Kerry.


Semi-Final on July 8th at Milltown: East Kerry beat Mid-Kerry.

Mid-Kerry: Pat Callanan (Killorglin), James Daly, Cyril McGillycuddy (Killorglin), J. Barton (Keel), J. Murphy, Teddy Bowler (Glenbeigh), Vincent Lucey (Killorglin), Tony McSweeney, J. McKenna, Tom Prendergast (Keel), Billy Kerins (Milltown/Castlemaine), Bob Spring (Milltown/Castlemaine), J. Kelliher, Danny Roberts (Milltown/Castlemaine), Tony Lyons (Killorglin). Subs: Jimmy Healy (Glenbeigh), Con Mangan (Beaufort), T. Foley, P. Daly.


In the final, North-Kerry defeated East-Kerry by two points.


Co. Senior Hurling Championship

Fifteen teams entered the Co. Championship – Crotta, Kilmoyley, Ardfert, North Kerry, Ballyduff, Ballyheigue, Lixnaw, Abbeydorney, Austin Stacks, Killorglin, John Mitchels, Iveragh, Kenmare, Kilgarvan and Killarney. They were divided into four groups. Killorglin was pitted against Austin Stacks, John Mitchels and Iveragh.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 15th April at 3-30pm in Tralee: Killorglin 0-0; Austin Stacks 9-7.

Stacks experienced little difficulty in defeating Killorglin and were in complete control throughout, before a small attendance. They played fast hurling, which the losers could not match. The opening ten minutes were evenly contested. Then Killorglin suffered a severe blow when their outstanding midfielder, Brendan Mangan, retired with head injuries. It spoke volumes for his skill that for the twenty minutes that he was playing, no score was recorded. Then Stacks scored two goals and Killorglin lost heart. Short six of the senior team, they could not keep out a rampant Tralee side. The winners, though playing against the wind in the first half, led at halftime by 4-7 to 0-0. Stacks were best served by D. Leahy, B. Enright, C. McQuinn and Bobby Millar, while Sean Gill, Jim Clifford and Patrick O Sullivan played well for Killorglin.

Killorglin: Patrick O Sullivan, Teddy Mangan, John McCarthy, Den Mangan, Maurice Geary, Sean Gill, John Mulvihill, Brendan Mangan, James Coffey, Christy Jones, Jim Clifford, Paddy Foley, Josie Fenton, Peter Gill, Paddy O Neill. Subs: Jackie Kerins for B. Mangan (inj.); Joe McMahon for J. Fenton.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 17th June at Killorglin: Killorglin 2-1; Iveragh 6-7.

Ideal weather favoured the game. Killorglin settled down quickly and, playing fast, open hurling, were two goals up in fifteen minutes. Jim Clifford got the first and then Christy Jones went through for the second. In that time the men from the Laune gave the impression of being, if not the masters, at least the equals of their opponents. Iveragh’s Mossie Fitzgerald retired injured and Michael Moran replaced F. Murphy in goals and from here on Iveragh took complete control and were soon on level terms. Vincent O Keeffe got two goals, followed by another by T. O Connell and a point each sent over by Frank Murphy and Joe Kennedy. Killorglin trailed at the interval by 3-2 to 2-0.

Iveragh dominated the second half and for fifteen minutes they scored at will. Their advantage in weight and superior teamwork became more pronounced. Near the end, Killorglin brought their star fullback, Brendan Fullam, to midfield, where his presence at once was felt, but it was too late. Indeed it was no exaggeration to say that the margin in favour of the men from the south might well have been wider. Michael Moran, Frank Murphy, V O Keeffe, Dan Kennedy and T. O Connell were outstanding for Iveragh while Brendan Mangan, Jim Clifford, Teddy Mangan, John McCarthy, Brendan Fullam and Tony O Donoghue tried hard for Killorglin.

Killorglin: James Coffey, Tony O Donoghue, Brendan Fullam, D. Mullins, “D. O Neill” (0-1), John McCarthy, Teddy Mangan, Brendan Mangan, Christy Jones (1-0), John Mulvihill, “D. Mangan”, Paddy Foley, Maurice Geary, Jim Clifford (2-0), Jackie Kerins. (The players in inverted commas were not all that they seemed to be!).

Ref: Sean Gill (Killorglin).


Senior Hurling Challenge Game


Sun. 1st April at Cahersiveen: Iveragh 3-3; Killorglin 2-9.

This was Killorglin’s first away victory since the formation of the club in 1952. Sean Gill, Liam Wall, Liam Coughlan and Brendan Mangan were outstanding for Killorglin while Paddy Foley (1-3), James Griffin (0-3), John McCarthy (0-3) and Christy Jones (1-0) were the scorers on the day.

Killorglin: Patrick O Sullivan, Peter Gill, Tony O Donoghue, Mossy O Sullivan, Sean Gill, John McCarthy, Maurice Geary, Brendan Mangan, Liam Wall, John Mulvihill, James Griffin, Paddy Foley, Christy Jones, Liam Coughlan, James Coffey.


Co. Minor Hurling Championship.

There were ten teams in the competition – Killorglin, Kenmare/Kilgarvan, Ballyheigue, Iveragh, Ardfert, Killarney, St. Patrick’s, Stacks, Ballyduff and Lixnaw.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 21st June at Killorglin: Killorglin 5-2; Kenmare/Kilgarvan 2-4.

The visitors settled down quickly and were soon a goal ahead. They maintained their one goal lead until halftime, when the score stood at 2-3 to 2-0. Killorglin took control in the second half and had a succession of scores, which left them seven points winners. They had outstanding players in the Mangan brothers, Brendan and Teddy, Eoin Mangan, D. Mullins (Bank), Tony O Donoghue, Liam Scully, Thomas Dowling (Milltown) and Austin O Reilly while Joe White and Tuohy played well for Kenmare/Kilgarvan.

Killorglin: Jackie Kerins, Peter Gill, Teddy Mangan, D. Mullins, Eoin Mangan, Tony O Donoghue, John Mulvihill, Brendan Mangan, Liam Scully, Thomas Dowling, Maurice Geary, Paddy O Neill, Austin O Reilly, Christy Jones, Noel Kingston. Subs: Aeneas Foley, Mikey Foley, James Foley, Patrick O Shea, Pat Callanan.

Ref: Liam Murphy (Killarney).


Rd. 2 on Thurs. 12th July at Killorglin: Killorglin 7-5; Killarney 2-3.

Killorglin qualified for the semi-final by defeating Killarney. They led at halftime by 3-1 to 1-3. The game was played at a fast pace throughout. Killorglin were accurate in the air, while their ground hurling was a treat to watch and it was here that they the advantage over Killarney. Outstanding for Killorglin were Peter Gill, Eoin Mangan, Donal Mangan, Liam and Kevin Scully, Joe McMahon, Tony O Donoghue and Pat O Neill. Killarney had good players in Gerard Landers, Paddy Culligan and Brown.

Killorglin: Jackie Kerins, Peter Gill, Teddy Mangan, D. Mullins, Eoin Mangan, Tony O Donoghue, John Mulvihill, Kevin Scully, Liam Scully, Thomas Dowling, Maurice Geary, Joe McMahon, Austin O Reilly, Christy Jones, Paddy O Neill. Subs: Mikey Foley, Josie Fenton.


Semi-Final on Wed. 1st Aug. at Ardfert: Lixnaw 9-4; Killorglin 2-2.

Killorglin arrived at 7.00pm for a 7.30pm game. There was no sign of Lixnaw or the referee so the players went for a puck-about, believing that they had received a walkover. Lixnaw and the referee eventually arrived and informed the Killorglin contingent that “Old Time” still operated in that part of the county. Not surprisingly, Killorglin were well beaten as the hour-long pre match puck around took its toll.

The game produced play of a reasonably good standard, the losers putting up a gallant fight against opponents enjoying a definite advantage in both strength and training. Taken on the whole, the North Kerry boys’ winning margin must be regarded as an exaggerated measure of their superiority.

Playing with a stiff breeze at their backs in the first half, the Launesiders settled down quickly and Lixnaw were compelled to earn hard their slender interval lead of two points, 2-0 to 1-1. Joe McMahon got the goal and Kevin Scully the point, while Tony Conway and Andy Hickey got a goal each for Lixnaw. On the resumption, the exchanges continued more or less equal for fifteen minutes, during which the Killorglin forwards “mucked” two good scoring chances. Entering the last quarter, however, the North- Kerry boys went on a veritable scoring spree. Their forwards began to shoot low balls with amazing accuracy and the Killorglin defenders, try as they did, were unable to stop the riot. The closing ten minutes witnessed five green flags set up by the Lixnaw sharpshooters. During this period, Brendan Mangan, who was prominent all through the hour in the Launeside attack, was unlucky when his seventy yards puck met the crossbar and was cleared on the rebound. Scorers for Killorglin: Brendan Mangan 1-1; Joe McMahon 1-0; Kevin Scully 0-1. Scorers for the winners were Tom McElligott 3-2, Brendan Griffin 1-1, Tony Conway 2-0, Bobby Brown 2-0, Andy Hickey 1-0, Dick O Connell 0-1.

Killorglin: Jackie Kerins, Peter Gill, Teddy Mangan, D. Mullins, Eoin Mangan, Tony O Donoghue, John Mulvihill, Brendan Mangan, Kevin Scully, Joe McMahon, Maurice Geary, Liam Scully, Paddy O Neill, Christy Jones, Austin O Reilly. Sub: Mikey Foley for E. Mangan (inj.).

Ref: John Hussey (Ardfert).

After the game, James Coffey remembered that they took the lads for a mineral to a local pub. Some ordered Cidona, which was a new drink, too new for the publican who gave the lads glasses of Cider instead. As you can expect, it was a fairly noisy bus that left Ardfert for home. It took a few days to discover the reason!


The Killorglin Hurling Club, also, took part in the South Kerry hurling league – it had sought permission to play in the Tralee District league, but that had fallen through.


Sun. 5th Aug. challenge at Cahersiveen: Iveragh 3-5; Killorglin 7-1.

Killorglin: Joe McMahon, Mossy O Sullivan, Teddy Mangan, Peter Gill, Eoin Mangan, Tony O Donoghue, Mikey Foley, Brendan Mangan, Kevin Scully, Liam Scully, Christy Jones, James Coffey, Paddy O Neill, Jackie Kerins, Austin O Reilly.


Juvenile Hurling Challenge/Trial Games


Tues. 7th Aug. challenge in Killorglin: Iveragh beat Killorglin by one point.


Sun. 4th Nov. in Cahersiveen, Iveragh and Killorglin played in a trial game to select a team to play against Kenmare/Kilgarvan in the South Kerry final. Killorglin played very badly in the first half but then put up a good show on the resumption. The following players were selected from Killorglin: Mikey Foley, Joe McMahon, Ned O Sullivan, Patrick O Shea, Paudie Carroll and Billy Dodd. Tony Lyons and Vincent Looby were selected as subs.


Juvenile Hurling Town League


Five teams participated in a local 9-a-side competition for the Ben Campion Cup – Eoghan Ruadh (M. Foley capt.), Eire Og (Patrick O Shea capt.), Clanna Gael (Billy Dodd capt.), Glen Rovers (Tony Lyons capt.) and Caragh Lake.

Rd. 1on Wed. 26th Sept: Eoghan Ruadh beat Glen Rovers.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 30th Sept: Eire Og beat Clanna Gael.

Rd. 2: Eoghan Ruadh beat Clanna Gael and Eire Og beat Glen Rovers.

Rd. 3 on 21st Oct: Caragh Lake, who entered a team late in the competition, almost caused an upset in their first game when, with a great display, they ran Eoghan Ruadh to a point. A big crowd witnessed the game. The Caragh Lake team consisted of Euge O Sullivan, Johnny Foley, Pat Ahern, Pat Diggin (capt.), John Diggin, Patie Moriarty, Michael Moriarty, Mike Murphy, Jackie O Dwyer and Denis Diggin.

Then, Eire Og sprang a surprise by defeating the holders and favourites Eoghan Ruadh.

Caragh Lake created another upset when they defeated Eire Og by a goal to qualify for the final.


Final on St. Stephen’s Day: Eoghan Ruadh 7-3; Caragh Lake 8-0.

Caragh Lake looked a beaten team at halftime but then made a great comeback in the second half and, with less than a minute left of play, were leading by a goal. The town team fought back and scored the equalising goal just on time.


Final (replay) on Sun. 30th Dec: Caragh Lake 11-0; Eoghan Ruadh 6-3.

Urged on by a huge following from Muingaphuca, Caragh Lake sprang a big surprise by winning the Ben Campion Cup at the expense of the holders. The game was a good hard one, but Caragh Lake were far superior in the heavy going and, with ten minutes left for play, they were well ahead. The Town boys struck back and, with repeated attacks led by Mikey Foley, they scored 4-2. There was great excitement and some supporters began to get out of hand. When the fulltime whistle was blown the huge Caragh Lake following shouldered their team off the field.

Caragh Lake: Michael Moriarty, Johnny Foley, Danny Moriarty, John Diggin, Mike Murphy, Pat Ahern, Patie Moriarty, Neilie Moriarty, Pat Diggin (capt.) and Eugene O Sullivan.

Eoghan Ruadh: Mikey Foley (capt.), James Power, Vincent Tuohy, Pat Callanan, Vincent Foley, Michael Houlhan, Paul Kingston, Thomas Eager, J. Sullivan, Stephen Clifford.

Ref: Paddy Foley (Mill Road).




Seamus McFerron, Antrim, was President of CLG. Seán Ó Síocháin was Director General.


Munster Council Convention was held in Thurles on 26th Feb. Frank Sheehy, Ciarraí, was elected Chairman, Sean McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach, was Treasurer.


The Kerry Co. Convention was held in the Glebe Hotel, Killarney on Sun. 29th Jan. James Coffey, Owen Mangan and Paddy Foley (Mill Road) represented the Killorglin Hurling Club, Teddy Mangan and Paddy O Neill represented Killorglin Football Club, while Brendan Mangan and O. Foley represented Cromane. The following officers were elected: President – Canon Lyne; Chairman – Frank Sheehy; Vice-Chairman – Paddy Drummond was elected with 110 votes to 90 for Liam Cousins; Secretary – Tadhg Crowley was elected with 126 to 82 for Dan Ryan; Treasurers – Jerry Flynn, Tralee and Pat O Meara, Legion, were elected with 116 and 84 votes, respectively, while John Kissane (Kerins O Rahilly’s) got 82 votes, Jimmy Flaherty (Crotta) got 81 and Donie Sheehan (Dr. Crokes) got 51; Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan; Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc. The Senior Football Selection Committee comprised, after a vote between 11 candidates, Jackie Lyne, Legion, (176), Johnny Walsh, Ballylongford (151), Father Denis Curtin, Rathmore (127), Bob Stack, Ballybunion (104) and John Joe Sheehy, John Mitchels (102). The unsuccessful candidates were Paddy Bawn Brosnan (Dingle) 100, M. O Shea, Waterville (80), Murt Kelly (Beaufort) 67, M. Houlihan, Kerins O Rahillys (64), Joe Barrett, Austin Stacks (42) and Con Geaney, Desmonds (38) (At that time, the Senior Football Selectors were charged with selecting the senior, junior and minor football teams). James Coffey was nominated to contest the Co. Senior Hurling Selection Committee but he was not elected, receiving 50 votes. Among the motions that were carried was one from Dr. Crokes, ‘that the Co. Minor Championship be changed from a knockout basis – each team to get two chances.’ Another motion was also passed, ‘that a Senior Football divisional League be held’.

James Coffey represented Mid-Kerry Senior Football team at the Co. Board meetings during the year.


At a meeting on Fri. 20th April in the CYMS Hall, Tralee, a committee was set up to administer the Co. Juvenile Championship. The officers of the committee were Chairman – Frank Sheehy, Vice-Chairman – Bob Stack (Ballybunion), Secretary – Tadhg O Sullivan (Spa), Treasurers – Bro. Justin (Killarney) and Dick Kissane (Cahersiveen). The other members of the committee consisted of two delegates from each District Board. James Coffey sent a telegram to the meeting, stating that he was unable to attend but stating that Mid-Kerry would participate in the juvenile competitions. Included in the rules were: 1) Players had to be under fourteen years of age on first Jan. and on the roll of a National School in Kerry. 2) A player had to play with the team from the District Board area in which his parents resided. 3) Only one team was entered from each District Board area. 4) The District Board officers were responsible for the legality of team in its own area. 5) Games were played on a pitch measuring 120 yards long by 70 yards wide and the goalposts were 18 ft. apart with a crossbar 6 ft. high. 6) A size 4 ball was used. 7) The competition was played on a knockout basis.


The Annual Convention of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in Killorglin on Sun. 1st January. The following officers were elected: Chairman – Rev. Father Brian Kelly C.C. Glenbeigh, Vice-Chairman – Rev. Father J. McCloskey C.C. Milltown, Secretary – James Coffey (Killorglin), Treasurer –   Paddy Foley (Killorglin), Delegate to Co. Board – Murt Kelly (Beaufort). (The Secretary’s Report is given at the end of 1955).

In his address to the AGM of the Board in Killorglin on 19th December 1955, Father Kelly said, ‘As compared with other areas in the county, football may now be at a rather low ebb in the Killorglin district but they should not forget that Killorglin could justly claim to be the cradle of the GAA in Kerry. This town and district had put up the first team to represent the Kingdom in an All-Ireland football final. I mention this historical fact, not because I want to convey to you that we should try to live on tradition and by-gone glories – nobody can – but in order to impress on you that what was achieved here fifty years ago can, despite emigration and other drawbacks, be achieved again. There is no apparent reason why it is not possible for the rising generation of Killorglin today to emulate the athletic prowess of those nationally famous local teams that blazed the trail in the early days of the GAA.’

Later on in the AGM, James Coffey asked that, if Cromane were taking part in the league, a dividing line should be set up between Laune Rangers and Cromane as Cromane were poaching players from the Killorglin. He said that in 1955, 50% of Cromane’s team were from Killorglin and that would not be allowed in the present year. If the Board did not do something about it, Killorglin would find it very hard to field a team.


At the first meeting of the Board on 6th Feb., the Chairman appealed to the clubs not to poach other clubs for players. It was decided at that meeting, also, that, in future, at all league games both minor and senior two lists of players would be handed to the referee by both teams. At the meeting the Secretary announced that he was resigning from the post of Secretary, as he couldn’t carry on any longer because he had too much to do outside of the Board. The Chairman appealed to him to change his mind. The Chairman also instructed the Secretary to write to the Secretary of the East-Kerry Board on the matter of Mid-Kerry players playing with East-Kerry clubs without transfer.

At the Mid-Kerry Board meeting of 13th March, Brother Munchin reported that he had travelled to Keel to referee the Keel v Cromane game on 12th Feb. but Cromane had failed to turn up for the game.

At the meeting of 8th May, it was reported that Milltown/Castlemaine had beaten Cromane in Milltown The referee, Christy O Riordan, in his report, stated that the Cromane team came on the field with every sort of colour jersey and it was very hard to distinguish the two teams. He complained that they abused him with language during the game. The Chairman said that it had been brought to his attention that Cromane had played Glenbeigh players and therefore made themselves illegal. The Secretary was instructed to write to the Cromane Club and warn them against the playing of illegal players and against using abusive language to the referee or any other player on the field.

At the meeting of 12th June, it was reported that Cromane had played two games, losing to Glenbeigh and beating Beaufort but the games were not played in a sporting manner. Cromane were guilty of abusive language and rowdiness on the field.

At the meeting of 11th Sept., an amount of £15-0-0 was paid to Killorglin club and £3-0-0 to Cromane.

At the Mid-Kerry Board meeting of 9th October, James Coffey informed the meeting that a cup had been presented to the Board for the winter league by a donor who wished to remain anonymous. The cup would be called the Laune Rangers’ Cup. Father Kelly proposed a vote of thanks to the donor and Brother Munchin seconded.


The minutes of one Killorglin Football club meeting during the year are available. It was held in the CYMS Hall on Mon. 11th Sept. Christy O Riordan, Vice-Chairman, presided. It was decided to run a parish league between the following teams: Lower Town, Upper Town and Caragh Lake. James Coffey informed the meeting that the club was £7-17-6 in debt and an effort should be made to pay it off. He proposed that the club would run a dance with the Star Dance Band, at a reasonable price.


The minutes of three meetings of Killorglin Hurling Club are available, and many selection meetings. Paddy Foley (Mill Road) presided at the meeting in the CYMS on Tuesday 7th Feb. Five committee members attended and members of the juvenile team. Plans were made for a juvenile challenge game and possibly a juvenile/minor league or/and a minor/senior league. The Secretary asked all present to report for work in the field on the following Friday as the pitch was in a bad state. Gene Mangan was congratulated on winning the Bishop Moynihan Cup, as the best Kerry athlete in 1955.

Paddy Foley presided at the meeting in the CYMS on Thurs. 22nd March. Three committee members and some juveniles also attended. It was decided to play a nine-a-side juvenile game on the following Sunday – Iveragh Rd. v the Rest of the Town. A hurley would be provided for anyone who did not already have one. Patrick O Shea and Paul Kingston were re-instated into the club, as they said that they were willing to play hurling from then on. The Secretary announced that there would be a Church Gate Collection for the Hurling Club on Sun. 8th April.

Present at the hurling club meeting in the CYMS on 18th Sept. were Paddy Foley, Chairman, two committee members and a good number of juveniles. It was decided to run a juvenile hurling league with four teams, Eoghan Ruadh (Mikey Foley, capt.), Glen Rovers (Tony Lyons, capt.), Clanna Gael (Billy Dodd, capt.) and Eire Og (Patrick O Shea, capt.). The Ben Campion Cup would be presented to the winning captain and a set of medals to the winning team. Each team would meet twice and the team with the highest points would go into the final. The team with the lowest points would be eliminated and the two remaining teams would meet in the semi-final. The club received three tickets for the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final and one each was given to Kevin Cremin, Jim Tobin and J. Murphy.


In the first week of March 1956, the AGM of the South Kerry Hurling Board was held in Waterville. A letter was read from Killorglin Hurling Club, which was forced to withdraw from the previous year’s league, saying they had hoped to compete in the present year’s competitions.


The death occurred on 30th Aug., following an accident, of Tom O Connor, Ardmoniel. He was 45 years of age. With his brothers, Teddy and Mick, he had played senior football with Laune Rangers in the thirties and forties. Laune Rangers’ players and officials, past and present, formed a guard-of-honour at his funeral.


Co. Minor Football Final on Sun. 30th Sept. at Tralee: Feale Rangers 1-6; South-Kerry 0-6.

Co. Minor Hurling Final on Sun. 14th Oct. in Tralee: St. Patrick’s (Abbeydorney) 7-3; Lixnaw 7-2.

Co. Senior Hurling Championship Final on Sun. 11th Nov. at Tralee: Kilgarvan 6-6; Kilmoyley 2-3.


James Coffey refereed the following games, amongst others for the Mid-Kerry Board:

Sun. 22nd April Senior League/Championship at Milltown: Milltown 0-4; Keel 0-6.

Sun. 27th May Senior League/Championship at Killorglin: Cromane beat Beaufort.

Sun. 19th Aug. Minor Final at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 2-5; Milltown/Castlemaine 1-2.

Sun. 26th Aug. Senior League/Championship Final at Milltown: Glenbeigh v Keel.

Sun. 23rd Sept. Laune Rangers Cup at Castlemaine: Keel v Milltown.

Sun. 21st Oct. Laune Rangers Cup semi-final at Killorglin: Glenbeigh 2-10; Keel 4-4.


Christy O Riordan refereed the following games, amongst others for the Mid-Kerry Board:

Sun. 5th Feb. Senior League/Championship at Keel: Keel v Cromane.

Sun. 4th March Senior League/Championship at Beaufort: Beaufort v Milltown/Castlemaine.

Sun. 15th April Senior League/Championship at Milltown: Milltown/Castlemaine beat Cromane.

Sun. 13th May Senior League/Championship at Beaufort: Glenbeigh beat Beaufort.


Sean Gill refereed the following game, amongst others, for the Mid-Kerry Board:

Sun. 18th March Senior League/Championship at Milltown: Milltown/Castlemaine v Keel.


Pat O Shea, representing Cromane, refereed the following game for the Mid-Kerry Board:

Sun. 1st July Minor Championship at Glenbeigh: Glenbeigh beat Laune Rangers.


Kerry lost the Munster Senior Football Final to Cork, after a replay in Killarney on Sun. 29th July, by 1-8 to 1-7.

Kerry: Donie ‘Marcus’ O Neill (St. Mary’s), Jerome O Shea (St. Mary’s) capt. Ned Roche (Knocknagoshel), Tim ‘Tiger’ Lyons (Cordal), Sean Murphy (Camp), Tom Long (Gaeltacht), Colm Kennelly (Ballylongford), John Dowling (Kerins O Rahillys), Denis O Shea (do.), Mick O Connell (Valentia), Tom Moriarty (Clonakilty), Tadhgie Lyne (Dr. Crokes), Jim Brosnan (Moyvane), John Cronin (Milltown), Paudie Sheehy (John Mitchels). Subs: Jack Dowling (Castlegregory), Bobby Buckley (Clounmacon), Mick Murphy (Kerins O Rahillys), Dan McAuliffe (Duagh), Tom Collins (Kilmoyley).


Kerry lost the All-Ireland Junior Football semi-final replay to Monaghan on Sun. 2nd Sept. at Newbridge.

Kerry: Michael Bambury (Ballylongford),Dan O Keeffe (Legion), John O Connor (Kerins O Rahillys), Mícheál Kerins (do.), Denny Falvey (do.), Mick Donovan (John Mitchels), Tom Collins (Kilmoyley), Mick O Dwyer (Waterville), Ned Fitzgerald (St. Mary’s) capt, Brendan Galvin (John Mitchels), Sean Lovett (Kilmoyley), Dick Millar (Austin Stacks), Tim Barrett (do.), Brendan O Shea (Ardfert), PP Fitzgerald (Kerins O Rahillys). Subs: Pascal O Connor (Rathmore), Con Riordan (do), Jim Sugrue (Waterville), Paddy Culligan (Legion), Gary Stack (Duagh), Moss O Connell (Abbeydorney).


Kerry lost to Limerick in the Munster Minor Football Championship in Cork on Sun. 15th July.

Kerry: Moss O Connor (Kerins O Rahillys), C. Turner (John Mitchels), Michael Bambury (Ballylongford), Christy McQuinn (Austin Stacks), Frank Tiernan (do.), Mick Laide (Ballymac), Gearoid Cronin (Dingle), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Jer Burke (Desmonds), Gerald Browne (Emmett’s), Donie Griffin (St. Mary’s), Maurice ‘Junior’ Murphy (do.), James Harmon (Emmett’s), W. McCarthy (Kenmare), Dick O Sullivan (John Mitchels). Subs: Joe Whyte (Kenmare), B. Landers (Feale Rangers), Donal Mulvihill (Faha), Jimmy Fleming (Legion), Brendan Hennessy (Ballyduff).


On Wed. 4th Jan. 1956, a very large and representative meeting was held in Caragh Lake to protest at the demolition of Caragh Lake Hotel, a demolition that had been imminent. Sean O Riordan N. T. presided at the meeting, at which the following resolution was unanimously passed: ‘We, the residents of Caragh Lake, strongly protest against the demolition of our local hotel and demand government intervention to prevent this demolition. We suggest that the building be utilised for purposes of central or local government, especially for the purpose of improving the amenities of the Gaeltacht and the prevention of further emigration, which has been very heavy in the district for many years.’ It was decided to send copies of the resolution to An Taoiseach, the Minister for Local Government, the Minister for Industry and Commerce, Bord Fáilte, the Irish Travel Association and the three Dáil Deputies for South Kerry. A working committee was formed, with Sean O Riordan as Chairman, John Cummins as Hon. Secretary, Michael O Dwyer as Hon. Treasurer and Christy O Riordan, Patrick O Shea, Hugh O Neill, Michael Ahern and Con Lucey. The owner, in an interview, said that the hotel would be demolished. He had disposed of it to the Irish Metal Company, who would start the demolition immediately. Caragh Lake Hotel, originally a private residence known as Caragh Castle, was built about 1855 by a local landlord family, the McGillycuddy Eagers, from whom it was purchased about 1890 by the then G.S. & W. Railway Co., who enlarged it and converted it into a hotel. In the late nineteen twenties, the Railway Co. sold the hotel to Mrs. M. Huggard of the Butler Arms Hotel, Waterville who disposed of it in 1945 to Mr. Norman Northcliffe Ross. Three years later, he sold it to Newell H. Connop and Roy Pullin. In 1950, Mr. Connop became the sole owner of the hotel, having purchased Mr. Pullin’s interest. No offer was received in 1954, when Mr. Connop put the hotel and the 21 acres, on which it stood, up for sale. In June 1955, the furniture and household effects were sold by auction. No offer was received when the unfurnished building was subsequently advertised for sale as a whole or in apartments. Permission to demolish the hotel was refused by the County Manager. An appeal to the Minister for Local Government was allowed.


At the Milltown Annual Sports on 29th June, the following Killorglin athletes won individual medals: Denis O Neill, Tom Foley, Hal O Donoghue, Tony Lyons, James Coffey and Jerome Foley. Two teams were entered from Killorglin for the senior relay, which was won by the Killorglin ‘A’ team of James Griffin, James Coffey, Martin O Halloran and Hal O Donoghue. The three-legged race was won by Josie O Sullivan and Michael O Connor.


On Sun. 2nd Dec. a full house showed that the public expected a customary high standard from the latest production of the Hurling Club Dramatic class. Nor were they disappointed in ‘Johnnie’ for, at the conclusion of that three-act comedy, opinion was undivided in saying that that was their best production to date. Central figure of a very versatile cast was Eamonn Langford, who, on more than one occasion, brought the house down by his uproariously funny characterisation of Johnnie, the farm labourer. The excellence of his performance was in no small measure due to the perfect foil to his humour presented by Anna Houlihan as Mary, the servant girl. James Coffey, as farmer Ned Rennan, looked and acted most realistically the part of the middle-aged countryman and he again was ably assisted by his wife, Bridget Rennan, a part most ably filled by Eileen Griffin. Paddy Foley, once again gave that solid performance expected of him as Peter Rennan, Ned’s farmer brother, while the sweethearts of the play, Martin and Peggy, gave that romantic turn to balance an excellent production. Maurice Lyons and Peggy O Reilly, respectively, filled those roles. Liam Gannon was to be congratulated for adding yet another successful production to an ever-increasing repertoire. A few short concert items balanced the night’s programme. A group of boys from the local National school played a selection of Irish airs on recorders – Joe Galvin, John O Connell, Steve Corkery, Colm Foley, Cormac Foley, Patrick O Shea and James Galvin. Josie Cahillane and Kathleen Moriarty contributed songs and young William O Reilly, on an accordion as big as himself, played a selection of modern tunes. Incidental accordion music was provided by Kitty Logue. A monologue, built around the deathbed scene of Terence McSweeney, had a most impressive effect by the speaking voice of Paddy Foley, with instrumental violin background by Liam Foley, and James Coffey and Liam Gannon the prisoner and confessor in the dimly lit prison cell.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 9th Dec. 1956. The Secretary, James Coffey, in his report, said, ‘That the year past was the most successful one ever by the Board. In addition to the Championship, the Board ran a Senior Winter League and minor and juvenile leagues for the first time. All the competitions proved to be great successes. Teams from Keel, Glenbeigh, Cromane, Beaufort, Killorglin and Milltown/Castlemaine took part in the competitions. Glenbeigh and Keel contested the Senior Championship decider at Milltown, the former emerging winners to regain the Kennedy Cup, which they last won four years ago. Glenbeigh and Killorglin contested the final of the Winter League at Killorglin and again Glenbeigh emerged winners to become the first holders of the Laune Rangers Cup. Glenbeigh also captured the honours in the Minor Championship by defeating Milltown/Castlemaine in the final at Killorglin. Milltown/Castlemaine defeated Glenbeigh in the juvenile final at Glenbeigh. Glenbeigh must be congratulated on their great successes this year. They contested all four finals, winning three of them. The general standard of the competitions run was well above the average. The conduct of the players left little to be desired and if a few untoward incidents occurred her and there, they were few and far between.’ The report said that the Board entered senior, minor and juvenile teams for the Co. Championship. The seniors were beaten by Killarney and, later, by Eoghan Rua’s. The minors reached the Co. Semi-final and were very unlucky to be beaten by North-Kerry, who later won out the Co. Championship. The juveniles also reached the Co. Semi-final but were beaten by East-Kerry. Continuing the report, the Secretary said, ‘that it is pleasing to report that nearly all the games were handled by the appointed referees. There is, however, an urgent need for better stewarding at the important games.’ Concluding his report, the Secretary paid special tribute to the Chairman, Father Kelly, for his great work for the Board during the year. He also thanked all the officers of the Board for making his job an easy one and also the secretaries of the different clubs. He thanked the car owners, who placed their cars at the Board’s disposal for the transport of the minors and juveniles.


The AGM of Killorglin Hurling Club was held on Sat. 12th Jan. 1957. The Secretary, James Coffey, in his report said that the year had been very successful. The juveniles, minors and seniors had been well catered for. The senior team had been weak and had been well beaten in the Co. Championship by Austin Stacks and later by Iveragh. The seniors had beaten Iveragh earlier in the year in a friendly. The minors, on the other hand, had been very good and must have been considered unlucky in their attempt to reach the Co. Final. They were beaten by Lixnaw in the semi-final at Ardfert. They had beaten Kenmare/Kilgarvan and Killarney in the earlier rounds. They beat Iveragh in a friendly game in Cahersiveen. The juveniles were beaten in the semi-final of the 1955 Juvenile Championship by Kenmare and after two friendly games with Iveragh, it was decided that they should join with Iveragh for the Co. Championship. They had yet to play Kenmare in the Co. Semi-final. A very successful juvenile league had been completed. Five teams had taken part and Caragh Lake surprised everyone by their great victory in the final. He continued, ‘It is hoped that this win will popularise the game in the other districts in the parish and in the Mid-Kerry area. During the year, the club lost the services of some of its best players and it is almost definite that the club will not enter a senior team for next year’s championship. Once again, the play ran by the club’s dramatic society was an outstanding success.’ On behalf of the club, the Secretary thanked the producer, Liam Gannon, for giving so much of his time to make the play the success it was. He also thanked Anna, Houlihan, Bridget O Reilly and Eileen Griffin for taking part in the play. He thanked the CYMS Committee for the use of their hall during the year and he also thanked all those who had helped the club in any way, especially the local correspondents for the publicity that they had given the club during the year.


The Annual Convention of the Laune Rangers Club took place in the CYMS on 20th Dec. 1956. The Secretary, James Coffey, in his report, said that Killorglin qualified for the semi-final of the Mid-Kerry league in senior, minor and juvenile grades. The seniors also qualified for the final of the Laune Rangers Cup but they were defeated by Glenbeigh. In all, the seniors played 10 games, the minors played 2 games and the juveniles played 6 games. He called for better co-operation from the players in the coming year. He congratulated Glenbeigh on their victories. Concluding, he thanked the Field Committee for its great work.