Laune Rangers – 1961

Laune Rangers won the Mid-Kerry U-14 Football Championship for the third time.

James Coffey was re-elected as Secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board for the seventh successive year. Pat O Shea was re-elected as Treasurer.

The development, re-sodding and enclosure of the pitch in the J.P. O Sullivan Park commenced.

Pat Ahern, then with Ballymacelligott, was on the Kerry team that beat Cork in the Munster Junior Football Final.

Vincent Lucey was on the Dublin team that won the Leinster Minor Football Championship at the expense of Offaly.

*       *              *               *               *                  *                   *                     *             *

The AGM of the club took place in the CYMS Hall on Sun. 16th Oct. 1960. The Chairman, John Foley, presided. 19 attended the meeting. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1960). In his address, the Chairman welcomed the members to the meeting and he said that he felt it was a privilege to be Chairman during the 75th anniversary of the club – a year in which a banquet, tournament and other sporting activities were sponsored by the club. “We lost the Kennedy Cup,” said the Chairman, “and it was a pity not to win it in our jubilee year. However, I have no doubt whatever but we would have won the Kennedy Cup had the Laune Rangers’ Cup been played first, as it was only in the latter competition our team began to show its worth.” The Chairman thanked the members for their help during the year and he hoped that they would have an even greater year in 1961. Concluding, he congratulated the members who were successful in their examinations during the year and he wished them every success.

The Treasurer, Pat O Shea, in his report, stated that, even though the club had one of its most expensive years ever, the debit balance was of £32 (approx.), with unpaid bills of over £30, the year was a satisfactory one. The Secretary and Treasurer’s reports were adopted (Christy O Riordan proposed and John Foley seconded).

Election of officers:

President: Rev. Father O Riordan (outgoing), unopposed.

Vice-Presidents: Rev. Father Stack, Very Rev. Father Finnucane P.P. Paddy Foley, Patsy Begley, Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan, Sergeant Ward.

Chairman: John Foley (outgoing), unopposed.

Vice-Chairman: Paddy Foley (outgoing) defeated Donal Prendiville by 12 votes to 7.

Hon. Secretary: James Coffey (outgoing), unopposed.

Assistant Sec: Gearoid O Sullivan defeated Tony Lyons and Teddy Mangan.

Hon. Treasurer: Pat O Shea (outgoing), unopposed.

Committee (There were 15 candidates): The officers and Patsy Hurley (14), Timmy Cronin (13), Christy O Riordan (12), Teddy Mangan (10), Bertie Harmon (16), Mike McMahon (7), James Foley (7).

Senior Selection Committee (There were 11 candidates): James Coffey (17), John Foley (14), Christy O Riordan (12), Paddy Foley (10), Teddy Mangan (9), Kevin Foley (9).

Senior Captain (6 candidates): Denny O Reilly (6 votes).

Senior Vice-Captain (7 candidates): Denny O Neill (7 votes).

Minor Captain (3 candidates): Billy Dodd (7 votes).

Delegates to Co. Convention: James Coffey and John Foley (unopposed).

Delegates to Mid-Kerry Board: Teddy Mangan and Christy O Riordan (unopposed).

Mid-Kerry Selector: James Coffey (outgoing), unopposed.

The following motions were passed:

  1. ‘That the club appoint a trainer and if the team reaches the final, we appoint a trainer from outside the club, if we have sufficient funds.’
  2. ‘That local competitions be run in the early months, starting the first Sunday of February, to enable the selectors to form senior and minor teams.’
  3. ‘That the team should train three weeks before every game.’
  4. ‘That the Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and Paddy Foley get All-Ireland Final stand tickets without having to take part in a draw – the remainder to be drawn between the players and working members.’
  5. ‘That a player failing to turn out for a game be suspended for two months, unless he has a reasonable excuse.’
  6. ‘That greater consideration be given to challenge games, before accepting them.’
  7. ‘That the football be left in a convenient place.’
  8. ‘That the committee be divided into a number of sections and that each section should have a responsibility of its own throughout the year e.g.

a)      One to take care of the balls and jerseys.

b)     One to take care of the nets and flags.

c)      Two to collect at the gate.

d)     Two to line the field.’

  1. ‘That the team should have an annual outing to Dublin, including working committee and officers.’
  2. ‘That players be allowed on the selection committee.’
  3. ‘That the membership of the club be 6d for juveniles, 1/- for minors and 2/6 for seniors.’
  4. ‘That a schools’ league be run and a sub-committee formed to look after it.’
  5. ‘That the club holds weekly meetings on Saturday nights from the 1st Feb. 1961.
  6. ‘That the club does something about enclosing and levelling the O Sullivan Park.’
  7. ‘That a drama group be formed to raise funds.’
  8. ‘That all nominations for Vice-President be declared elected.’
  9. ‘That an Athletic Club be formed and a sports’ meeting be held annually.’ Paddy O Callaghan spoke on this motion and it was agreed to hold a special meeting on 3rd Nov. when the club would be formed.
  10. ‘That the Mid-Kerry Championship commence the first Sunday in Feb.’ (Forwarded to Mid-Kerry Convention).
  11. ‘That as many games as possible be played in every month and that the old method of a game a month be cut out.’ (Forwarded to Mid-Kerry Convention).

The meeting took a very poor view of the recent article on Mid-Kerry in the Taxpayers News and it was decided to write about it.


Co. Senior Football Championship


Thirteen teams entered for the Co. Championship, West-Kerry, Desmonds, Kerins O Rahilly’s, Legion, John Mitchels, Mid-Kerry, Ballymacelligott, South-Kerry, Feale Rangers, Austin Stacks, Dr. Crokes, Kenmare and St. Brendan’s. There was a losers’ round.


Preliminary Rd. on Sun. 7th May at Killorglin: Mid-Kerry 1-3; John Mitchels 3-5.

The score would suggest an easy win for Mitchels but this was not so. In fact, had the Mid-Kerry forwards taken their chances, the score would have been much closer at the finish. Mitchels was the better team and they had the better teamwork in front of goals but it was two very soft goals – the Mid-Kerry goalkeeper misjudged two balls kicked from over thirty yards out – that put Mitchels on the road to victory. One of those goals came one minute after the throw-in and the other five minutes later. Those scores would be enough to break the heart of much greater teams but a lion-hearted Mid-Kerry side never gave up. A gale-force wind blew directly across the pitch and made it very difficult for both sides to control the ball.

In the first half, there were sixteen sideline balls. In that half, Mitchels adapted themselves to the conditions much better than their opponents and, at the interval, led by 3-5 to 0-1. After the change-over, Mid-Kerry switched full-forward, John Burke, to midfield instead of John O Brien. That proved to be a fatal move, as Jerry O Riordan, then dominating that sector, saw his fine service wasted in front of goal by a fumbling full-forward line. Had Burke remained at full-forward, Mid-Kerry might well have added three more goals to their total. O Brien, at full-forward, had awful misses with an open goal in front of him. In the second half, a sound Mid-Kerry defence, in which Pat O Shea, at fullback, and George Evans, at right halfback, were very industrious, held the champions scoreless. Freddie Lynch was the only Mitchels forward to threaten danger in that half. He got good support from young Dom O Donnell, who was the outstanding forward in the first half, notching 2-2 of his side’s total. Des O Connor, on the forty for Mid-Kerry, was easily the losers’ outstanding man, but he got little support when Burke moved outfield. In the full-forward line, only Teddy Mangan seemed to be able to get loose from the clutches of a hard-tackling line of defence, in which Alan Conway was the hero. The Mid-Kerry wing-forwards were never able to get away from either Billy Kerins or Willie Donovan.

Mid-Kerry: Tom Daly (Keel), Willie Barton (Keel), Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers), Willie Spring (Milltown/Castlemaine). George Evans (Keel), Connie O Sullivan (Glenbeigh), Ned O Shea (Keel), John O Brien (do.), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Joe Sweeney (do.), Des O Connor (do.), Billy Kerins (Milltown/Castlemaine), Teddy Mangan (Laune Rangers), John Burke (Milltown/Castlemaine), Timmy Hannafin (Keel).

John Mitchels: Johnny Kelliher, Martin Flynn, Alan Conway, Donal Casey, Billy Kerins, Niall Sheehy, Willie Donovan, Harry Burke, Brian Sheehy, Freddie Lynch, Seamus Roche, John ‘Thorny’ O Shea, Dom O Donnell, Toss Cournane, Cormac Casey.

Ref: James O Donoghue (Killarney).

Levelling and enclosing the pitch commenced immediately after that game.


Losers’ Rd. on Sun. 9th July at Killarney: Mid-Kerry 3-6; South-Kerry 1-11.

Mid-Kerry blasted the Southerners’ hopes sky-high for the year when tearing the form-book to shreds in a shock result. This was no flash-in-the-pan, achieved as it was without the services of regular midfielder Jerry O Riordan. It was a triumph for fitness and teamwork.

In the first half, against the breeze, the men from the Laune matched their highly-rated opponents in every phase of the game. Their midfield pair, Noel O Mahony and John O Brien, hit it off successfully against Mick O Connell and P. T. O Sullivan. As a result, the Mid-Kerry forwards availed of every opportunity. At halftime, when South-Kerry could manage to lead by only 0-6 to 1-2, there was every indication of a surprise result.

However, the Southerner hit a purple patch at the start of the second half. Willie O Shea, who was moved from left halfback to right half-forward, drop-kicked a beautiful point from far out, Mick O Dwyer added another shortly afterwards and then Mick O Connell sent over a third. Nearing the end of the third quarter, Mid-Kerry hit back. John Burke, switched from full-forward to the forty, shot a good point from the right wing. Two minutes later, Des O Connor, operating at full-forward, deflected a centre over the bar for another Mid-Kerry point. Excitement ran high at that stage, with both teams battling for supremacy. Ten minutes from time, Ted O Shea won possession for South-Kerry and raced down the left wing. From about thirty yards out, he shot across a left-footed drive, which Mid-Kerry goalkeeper, Teddy Bowler, fumbled and allowed into the net. That score put South-Kerry five points ahead and they appeared to be sitting pretty.

Then, with six minutes to go and defeat staring them in the face, Mid-Kerry stormed back and, in a goal-mouth tussle, Des O Connor fisted to the net. South-Kerry retaliated with points by Michael Sheehan and Mick O Dwyer but will-o’-the-wisp Patrick O Shea kept Mid-Kerry within striking distance when raising two white flags from frees. With time running out, Mid-Kerry staged a last desperate rally. And just when it seemed as if a gallant effort must fail, Des O Connor grabbed the ball, barged through and crashed a pile-driver to the corner of the net. South-Kerry were baffled and beaten. They had no time to recover and Mid-Kerry were into the next round.

That victory certainly boosted Mid-Kerry’s football stock. The team showed great fighting spirit and no small amount of football ability. Their strength lay in attack where right half-forward, Patrick O Shea, had a particularly brilliant game. Though small in stature, the Kerry minor of the previous year, initiated many of the movements, which led to his side’s scores. He used his speed to full advantage and was a constant threat to the South-Kerry posts. Defenders Pat O Shea and Willie Spring, midfielders Noel O Mahony and John O Brien, and forwards Des O Connor, John Burke, Liam Scully and Tony Lyons also contributed much the Mid-Kerry victory.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Bowler (Glenbeigh), Willie Barton, Pat O Shea, Willie Spring, George Evans, Connie O Sullivan, Ned O Shea, John O Brien, Noel O Mahony (Laune Rangers), Patrick O Shea (do.) 0-3, Des O Connor 2-2, Liam Scully (Glenbeigh), Tony Lyons (Laune Rangers), John Burke 1-1, James Harmon (Glenbeigh).

South-Kerry: John Shanahan, B. O Sullivan, John O Connell, Jim Sugrue, John O Connor, Jerome O Shea, Willie O Shea (1-0), Mick O Connell (0-4), Pat T. O Sullivan, Denis McCarthy, Mick O Dwyer (0-3), Ted O Shea (0-1), Michael Sheehan (0-1), Ned Fitzgerald (0-2), Michael Courtney.

Ref: John Dowling (K. O Rahilly’s).

Both spectators and players had to wait for over three-quarters of an hour for the start of the game because there was no suitable football available. The ball used in the first game between Austin Stacks and Kenmare was altogether sub-standard and hardly what one would have expected in a championship tie. The referee of the second game rightly decided not to play with it.


Rd. 1 on Wed. 2nd Aug. at Tralee: St. Brendan’s 3-5; Mid-Kerry 0-10.

After putting up a good performance in the first half, Mid-Kerry collapsed in the second half.


Co. Final on Sun. 15th Oct. at Tralee: John Mitchel’s 2-9; Kerins O Rahilly’s 0-8.

Freddie Lynch was the captain.


Mid-Kerry Senior Championship

Laune Rangers’ Selection Committee – James Coffey, John Foley, Christy O Riordan, Paddy Foley, Teddy Mangan and Kevin Foley.

This was played on a league basis.


Rd. 1 on Sunday 18th June at Glenbeigh at 3.30pm: Glenbeigh lost to Laune Rangers

Rd. 2 on Sun. 25th June at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-10; Beaufort 0-4.

In the first quarter, Beaufort showed up well and scored 0-2 to Rangers 0-1. Then Rangers took control and ran out easy winners.


Rd. 3 on Wed. 26th July at Milltown: Keel 6-4; Laune Rangers 0-6.

Rd. 4 in Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 0-2; Milltown/Castlemaine 3-6.

Even though Laune Rangers had just four points from the four games played, they still were in with a chance of qualifying for the final but a walkover was granted by Milltown/Castlemaine, who had already qualified for the final, to Glenbeigh, which put paid to Rangers’ chances. This caused dissention in the Board and James Coffey resigned in protest and he was replaced as Secretary by Michael Shanahan for the duration of the year. Morale in the Laune Rangers camp was very low.


The final was played in George Evans’s field, in which Milltown/Castlemaine beat Glenbeigh.


Laune Rangers Cup


Following a decision at the AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board, this competition was played under a new format in 1961. The combinations were Keel/Castlemaine, Milltown/Killorglin and Glenbeigh/Beaufort.

Rd. 1 on Sun. 23rd April at Killorglin: Glenbeigh/Beaufort beat Keel/Castlemaine. Ref: James Coffey.

Semi-Final on Sun. 30th April at Milltown: Milltown/Killorglin beat Keel/Castlemaine.

Final on Sun. 4th June at Milltown: Milltown/Killorglin beat Glenbeigh/Beaufort.

Ref: Willie Barton (Keel).


Parish League


Laune Rangers received permission from the Mid-Kerry Board to run a Killorglin regional football seven-a-side league instead of a parish league. The competition included teams from Callanfersy, Dromin/Dungeel, Gurrane/Sunhill, Lower Town, Caragh Lake, Gortluachra, Farrentoreen, Upper Town, Tuogh and Langford St. It was played on a knock-out basis. There were two preliminary games and then the quarter-finals.

Preliminary Rd. on Sun. 11th June at Caragh Lake: Caragh Lake 4-3; Gortluachra 2-1.

This was the first organised game played in Caragh Lake for many a year. It was a most entertaining game, which produced plenty of excitement throughout. Best for Caragh Lake were Paul and Jimmy Lucey, Mike and Moss Murphy, Eugene O Sullivan and Johnny Foley. Gortluachra were best served by the Kissane brothers, the Sheehan brothers, Sean Foley and Teddy Doona. Ref: Pat O Shea.

Langford St. beat Gurrane/Sunhill in the other preliminary round.


Farrentoreen v Lower Town, Callanfersy v Dromin/Dungeel, Langford St. v Caragh Lake and Upper Town v Tuogh.

Lower Town had a thrilling win, 5-5 to 3-3, over Farrentoreen. They fielded an all-minor team, with the exception of two players, and they were too fit for their opponents. Callanfersy beat Dromin/Dungeel, Langford St. beat Caragh Lake in a hard-fought game, which became over-robust at times and Tuogh beat Upper Town. Big attendances witnessed these games in Evans’ field.

Semi-Finals: Langford St. beat Tuogh and Callanfersy beat Lower Town.

The two teams that reached the final played for the ‘A’ final. There was also a ‘B’ final for the teams beaten in the preliminary rounds and quarter-finals.

Finals on Sun. 9th July in George Evans’ Field:

‘A’ Final: Callanfersy 3-11; Langford St. 2-1.

The hero for Callanfersy was midfielder, Sean McKenna, who showed some fine flashes of football. For a disappointing Langford St. side, only Noel O Mahony and Patrick O Shea played well. After the game, James Coffey presented the Mangan Perpetual Trophy to the captain of the winning team, Jeremiah Kerins. Jeremiah had been working in Crowley’s drapery and he had been asked by James Coffey if he wished to enter a team in the competition. The other members of the team were John Clifford (goals), John Heffernan, Patcheen Clifford, (Foxy) Mike O Sullivan, Sean McKenna, Mossy Kelliher and Billy Kerins. Trainer – George McKenna.

Langford St: Noel O Mahony, Patrick O Shea, James O Shea, William O Reilly, Myles Coffey, John O Neill and Paul McMahon.

Ref: Ned O Shea (Keel).

‘B’ Final: Farrentoreen 6-7; Caragh Lake 2-5.

In the opening minutes of the game, Caragh Lake looked like springing a surprise. Playing delightful football, they shot into a three points lead. Then, however, the Farrentoreen forward line, in which Patsy Hurley and Denny O Reilly were superb, took their chances well and scored 3-5 without reply before halftime. O Reilly scored the three goals. Pat O Shea dominated midfield for Farrentoreen and sent his forwards away with delightful passes. Except for one brief spell in the second half when Mike Murphy scored two opportunist goals for Caragh Lake, the issue was never really in doubt. After the game, James Coffey presented the Curtin Clifford Cup to the captain of the winning team, Patsy Hurley.

Farrentoreen: Seamus Naughton, Sean O Riordan, Humphrey Curran, Seamus Curran, Pat O Shea, Denny O Reilly, Patsy Hurley. Sub: Bobby O Reilly.

Caragh Lake: Patsy Foley, Mike Murphy, John A O Brien, Jackie O Dwyer, Ted Clifford, Mike Hassett and Paul Lucey. Sub: Noel Lucey.


Sat. 22nd July: Over Laune (Dromin/Dungeel/Callanfersy) v The Rest (of the parish) in a challenge, in an effort to revive the failing fortunes of the senior team, which had been deflated by recent poor performances. Some college players had gone to work in England for the summer holidays, weakening the team considerably. Some of the town players did not pull their weight when the need was greatest.


In July, a special league was run between Cromane and Caragh Lake. In was played on a two-legged system. Rd. 1 in Cromane: Caragh Lake 3-6; Cromane 4-3. Best for Caragh Lake were M. Joy, Mike Murphy, P. O Shea and Tom Lynch. Best for Cromane were John Clifford, Sean Teahan and Michael Teahan. The return game was played on Sun. 27th Aug. in Caragh Lake.


Challenge/Tournament Games


At the beginning of March in Valentia: Valentia v Laune Rangers.

The team had to cross into the island by ferry. Sean Falvey played at wing-forward for the Rangers and he was marked by ‘Dasher’ O Connor, who gave him some rough treatment. After one such foul, Mick O Connell advised Sean Falvey that if that treatment was repeated, he should give the ‘Dasher’ ‘a kick up the arse.’


Sun. 2nd April at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 1-11; Valentia 0-10.

This was a return game, as Laune Rangers had travelled to Valentia some weeks previously. On this occasion, due to a basketball final in Killorglin, Laune Rangers had to play without five of their regulars. Despite this, they played fast, open football in the first half and turned over with a 1-8 to 0-4 lead at the interval. On the resumption, Valentia, spurred on by majestic football from Mick O Connell, tried everything to score. But a rampant Rangers’ defence, in which Pat O Shea, at fullback, and Donal Mangan, at centre halfback, were outstanding, held firm. Despite O Connell’s brilliance at midfield, the Rangers had an even break there, as Noel O Mahony played his heart out. Time after time, he set his forwards moving with perfect passes and they certainly made good use of them. Patrick O Shea, Sean Falvey, Owen Mangan and Batty Foley were all in fine attacking form. Pat O Shea, Donal Mangan, Teddy Mangan and Jackie O Dwyer were sound in defence. For Valentia, Mick O Connell was head and shoulders over all, though ‘Dasher’ O Connor, Owen McCrohan, Tony O Connor and Jimmy Murphy caught the eye.


Sun. 16th April: A 7-a-side football competition was held at Killorglin, sponsored by the NACAI, with the permission of the Kerry Co. Board GAA. Twelve teams, from all over the county, took part. Proceedings commenced at 1.30pm and games were of 20 minutes duration. There was a rigid set of rules: teams were permitted nine nominated players; in the event of a draw at full-time, extra time would be played and the first team to score would be declared the winner; the pitch was 100 yards long; all kick-outs, even after a score, had to be taken from the square; teams failing to take the field at the appointed time, would lose the match. The first round draws were: Laune Rangers v Legion ‘B’, Keel v Moyvane, Glenbeigh v John Mitchel’s ‘B’, St. Finians v John Mitchel’s ‘A’, Dr. Crokes v Valentia and Legion ‘A’ v Ballymacelligott. In the final, Dr. Crokes beat John Mitchel’s ‘A’ by 2 points with a last minute goal. The winners were presented with a set of medals, sponsored by Messrs. Egan, Cork.


Wed. 19th April, Kerins O Rahilly’s Tournament, at Kerins O Rahilly’s Pitch: Mid-Kerry 0-5; Austin Stack’s 1-2.

Despite the greasy ball and a slippery surface, the standard of football was reasonably good. Stack’s played with the wind and rain in the first half and had most of the play. However, their forwards were off the mark with their shooting and scored only two points to Mid-Kerry’s one before the interval. Mid-Kerry got on level terms shortly after the resumption and it looked as if they would win. But a Stack’s goal by Teddy Leen, following good work by Charlie O Hanlon, threw the issue wide open. In the closing stages, a spirited rally by Mid-Kerry yielded the points, which gave them the right to fight another day.

Mid-Kerry: Tom Daly, John O Brien, Pat O Shea, Willie Spring, George Evans, Des O Connor (0-1), Mick Foley, Jerry O Riordan, Ned O Shea, Joe Sweeney, Willie Barton (0-1), Billy Kerins, J. McKenna (0-1), Timmy Hannafin, Batty Foley (0-2).

Mon. 24th April (replay): Mid-Kerry 1-6; Austin Stack’s 0-3.

Mid-Kerry led by 0-4 to 0-2 at the interval and their outstanding players were Pat O Shea, at fullback, George Evans, at right halfback, midfielders Jerry O Riordan and John O Brien and forwards, John Burke and Des O Connor.

Mid-Kerry: Tom Daly, Teddy Mangan, Pat O Shea, Willie Spring, George Evans, Connie O Sullivan, Ned O Shea, Jerry O Riordan, John O Brien, Joe Sweeney, John Burke (0-2), Batty Foley (0-1), J. McKenna, Des O Connor (0-1), Willie Barton (1-1). Sub: Billy Kerins (0-1) for J. McKenna.

Wed. May 24th at Kerins O Rahilly’s Pitch: Legion 2-8; Mid-Kerry 2-7.

Legion beat Mid-Kerry in the quarter-final of the Kerins O Rahilly’s Tournament. Mid-Kerry settled down quickly after the start and, for the first ten minutes, play was almost completely confined to the Legion half of the field. Mid-Kerry’s superiority during that period was due to the brilliant work of midfielders Jerry O Riordan and John O Brien. Two goals in arrears, Legion staged their first attack and almost goaled. They were back again after the kick-out and Weeshie Fogarty drove to the net. The Kilarney side followed up with two quick points from frees by Tim Sheehan. Mid-Kerry managed to get a grip on the exchanges again in the second half and launched many attacks. Had their forwards capitalised on all the opportunities, offered, the team would have enjoyed a bigger lead than 2-6 to 1-3 at the interval. Mid-Kerry were quickly away after the restart and John Burke pointed. However, after five minutes, midfielder Jerry O Riordan was forced to retire injured and, from then to the end, it was Legion that did most of the pressing. They took command of the midfield exchanges and when Fogarty banged home a great goal, it was the beginning of the end for Mid-Kerry. Eight minutes from time, the sides were level. Then, Johnny Culloty, playing at left full-forward, won possession and put Legion in front for the first time. Mid-Kerry tried desperately to get on terms in the closing stages but Legion defenders Gerald O Sullivan and Jimmy Fleming, in particular, defied their best efforts and the Killarney team held on to win by the narrowest of margins.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Mangan, Willie Barton, Pat O Shea, Willie Spring, George Evans, Willie O Shea, Mick Foley, Jerry O Riordan (0-1), John O Brien, Joe Sweeney, Des O Connor, Billy Kerins (1-2), J. McKenna, John Burke (0-2), Paul McMahon (1-2).

Legion: John Sheehy, Tim Moriarty, Gerald O Sullivan, Jimmy Fleming, Mikie Lyne, Louis Nolan, Raymond Coffey, Johnny Healy, Noelie O Connor, Weeshie Fogarty (2-0), Timmy Sheehan (0-3), J. Cahill (0-1), Jim Mahony, M. Bartlett (0-1), Johnny Culloty (0-3).

Ref: John Dowling (Kerins O Rahilly’s).


Co. Minor Championship


Rd. 1 on Wed. 28th June at Killorglin: John Mitchels beat Mid-Kerry.

That game was played in Gerald Foley’s field, Anglont (Directly across the road from Liebig factory). Tony Lyons, who had been playing well at centre halfback, became ill at halftime and that did not help the cause. Patsy Joy, though only sixteen years old, played in goals as Stephen Corkery, the normal goalie, was unable to play.


Co. Final at Tralee: John Mitchels 2-8; Desmonds 2-1.


Mid-Kerry Minor Championship


1960 Mid-Kerry Minor Semi-Final (replay) at Killorglin on Sun. 2nd April (Easter Sunday):

Milltown/Castlemaine beat Glenbeigh.

1960 Final on Wed. 5th April at Killorglin: Milltown/Castlemaine beat Laune Rangers.


1961 Final on Fri. 1st Sept. at Killorglin: Milltown/Castlemaine 3-9; Laune Rangers 0-3. Ref: Des O Connor (Glenbeigh). That game was played in George Evans’ field (adjacent to the Creamery). Patsy Joy played in goals. Paul McMahon played in the forwards and scored 2 or 3 points and his marker, Foxy John Clifford, was taken off and was replaced by Gabriel Quirke.


Mid-Kerry U-14 Championship

For the Mid-Kerry competition, the teams were divided into two groups. It was played on a thirteen-a-side basis.

Group A – Milltown/Castlemaine, Keel and Beaufort (A round robin league with the top team qualifying for the final).

Group B – Laune Rangers, Glenbeigh (Best of three games and the top team qualifying for the final).


Final in Killorglin: Laune Rangers 2-9; Keel 2-1.

A record crowd saw Laune Rangers beat Keel and thus become the first holders of the magnificent Paddy Burke Memorial Cup, which had been kindly presented to the Mid-Kerry Board by Father Linehan of Keel, who had emigrated to the USA. It was the best final in recent years. Laune Rangers, who had been victorious on two previous occasions, were considered lucky to win this one. Keel, contesting their first final, lost golden opportunities of at least three goals near the end when only four points behind. Outstanding for Laune Rangers were William Kennedy, Eamonn Crowley, Benny Harris, Kieran Foley, Michael Teahan, Enda Curtayne, Willie Murphy and Vincent Moriarty. Best for Keel were J. Walsh, T. Foley, E. Cournane, O. Moriarty, M. Carey, M. Knightley, Tim and Paud Foley. After the game, James Coffey, Secretary of the Board, presented the cup to Kieran Foley, captain of the winning team. William Kennedy, the winners’ fullback, collected his third juvenile medal, having played in the final on four occasions.

Laune Rangers: Dan Kissane, Eamonn Crowley, William Kennedy, Tom Curran, Jimmy Foley, Benny Harris, Kieran Foley (capt.), Enda Curtayne, Michael Teahan, Vincent Moriarty, Willie Murphy, Michael Moroney, Joe Cronin. Subs: Maurice Harmon, Liam Crowley, James Cahillane, Denis Diggin, Tim Sheehan and Pat Sheehan.

Juvenile Football Tournament

Father O Riordan organised a seven-a-side league for the members of the Dominic Savio Club. There were four teams.

St. Enda’s: Enda Curtayne (capt.), Liam Crowley, Liam Russell, Martin O Neill, Barry Harmon, Fergus Foley and P. Flynn.

St. George’s: George Teahan (capt.), Philip O Sullivan, Patie O Neill, John Mangan, Pa O Grady, Anthony Foley and M. Moriarty.

St. Edward’s: Eamonn Crowley (capt.), John P. Cahillane, Dermot Enright, James Flynn, Teddy Flynn, Richie Collette and Michael Cahillane.

St. Vincent’s: Vincent Moriarty (capt.), Joe Cronin, Maurice Harmon, Michael O Shea, Joe Crowley, James O Riordan and Timothy O Riordan.

St. Vincent’s drew with St. Enda’s in the final, played in George Evans’ field at Dromavalla on the score of 6-5 to 5-8. Best for St. Vincent’s were Vincent Moriarty, Michael O Shea and Liam Crowley while St. Enda’s were best served by Enda Curtayne, Joe Crowley and Joe Cronin.

St. Vincent’s won the replay.




Hugh Byrne, Cill Mantáin, was  elected as Uachtarán of CLG.


Jack Barrett, Corcaigh, was Chairman of the Munster Council, Seán McCarthy, Ciarraí, was Secretary and Willie Hough, Limerick, was Treasurer. The Munster Council Convention was held in the Manhattan Hotel, Tralee on Sat. 4th March.


The Kerry Annual Convention was held on Sun. 29th Jan. in Connolly Hall, Tralee. John Foley and James Coffey represented the Laune Rangers’ Club. President – Very Rev. Canon TJ Lyne. Dr. Jim Brosnan was unanimously elected Chairman, as the outgoing Chairman, Frank Sheehy did not seek re-election. Leo Stack was elected Vice-Chairman (outgoing Jack Lawlor did not seek re-election), Secretary – Tadhg Crowley, Treasurers – Tadhg Prendiville (109 votes), Pat O Meara (97) (both elected), James Coffey, Laune Rangers (63), Jerry Flynn, John Mitchel’s (55), Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan, Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc.

Senior Football Selection Committee: Johnny Walsh (126), John Joe Sheehy (103), John Dowling (98), Paddy Bawn Brosnan (90), Jackie Lyne (83) all elected, Brendan O Shea (77), Donie Marcus O Neill (72), Murt Kelly (67), Paddy Batt Shanahan (62), Dan Ryan (39). Two of the outgoing, Brendan O Shea and Donie O Neill, lost their places to the incoming John Dowling and Jackie Lyne. James Coffey unsuccessfully contested the position of Senior Hurling Selector, receiving 62 votes. At the Convention, it was decided that, in future, postal votes would be used in elections. It was, also, decided that the goalkeeper could wear a distinctive jersey. Na Piarsaigh, Dingle, proposed a motion that the grant of £30 for Co. Finalists should be increased to £100. A motion from Moyvane and Ballymacelligott seeking that there would be separate selection committees for minor and senior teams was accepted at a subsequent Co. Board meeting. The minor selection committee comprised one selector from the colleges, one selector from the Co. Minor Champions, one selector from South Kerry and two selectors from the senior selection committee (John Dowling and Johnny Walsh). Moyvane had a motion, later defeated at a Co. Board meeting, seeking to have the Co. Senior Championship on a knockout basis and that a Co. League would be run, also.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the Muintir na Tíre Hall, Milltown on Sun. 11th Dec. 1960. Father Brian Kelly, Chairman, presided. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1960). The Chairman, in his address, welcomed all the delegates to the convention and he thanked the Milltown/Castlemaine club for inviting them to hold the convention in their hall. He said that the year was a milestone in Mid-Kerry. “We won a championship and even though it wasn’t a senior one, yet it was a step on the road to progress. The juveniles won the County Championship a few years ago and this year’s minor team included many members of that juvenile team. If we keep together, we will win the senior title in a few years. It is the desire of every player to win a county senior championship and the officers of this Board would glory in the fact that they helped in the winning of the title. The year at home was a successful one. The minor competition wasn’t completed but this wasn’t the fault of the Board. It was agreed that it would be unwise to complete the competition as it might harm our chances of winning the minor title. The standard in the area has improved even though some critics say that the competitions are poor but this wasn’t true. The players are full of enthusiasm and they turn out for all games despite the bad weather conditions,” he said. Referring to a recent article, which had appeared in a Kerry paper, Father Kelly asked the delegates to take no notice of it, as the more attention that was given to those people the more that they would write. He thanked the officers of the Board for the hard work and time they had been putting into their jobs. Referring to the senior team, he said that it had been lacking in spirit. He said that the lack of county players should not stop them from winning a title or from having a really good senior side. Concluding, Father Kelly said that there had been a great spirit of understanding in the area. “We have our arguments but, thank God, we always fix them in a manner pleasing to all and we don’t have to air our dirty linen, or wash it either, in public,” he said. He appealed for the same co-operation and understanding the following year. He thanked all those who gave the use of their cars for the transport of players. “We could not do without them as our gates were small and we had no other means of gaining money,” he said. Finally, he thanked the players for their co-operation and he appealed for the same again in the coming year. The Treasurer, Pat O Shea, in his report showed a credit balance of £30 (approx.) with some bills still outstanding.

All the outgoing officers were returned unopposed. Chairman – Father Brian Kelly (Glenbeigh), Vice-Chairman – Father McCloskey (Milltown), Secretary – James Coffey (Laune Rangers), Treasurer – Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers), Delegate to Co. Board – Murt Kelly (Beaufort).

The following motions were passed:

  1. ‘That each club nominates at least one referee for senior games and that the Board be requested to take these referees into consideration when appointing referees for finals.’
  2. ‘That all minor and juvenile games be refereed by young players so that they may gain the necessary experience for refereeing senior games later on.’ This motion would be carried out as far as possible.
  3. ‘That in future referees be issued with report forms before games and that it be made clear that these forms should be completed and returned to the Board as soon as possible after games.’
  4. ‘That Mid-Kerry league games be played on every available Sunday instead of the present system of a game per month.’
  5. ‘That the team that finishes on top of the league table with the most number of points, be awarded a special trophy and that they be called the league champions and that the two top teams play off for the Kennedy Cup and a set of trophies and that this game be called the championship final.’
  6. ‘That the Mid-Kerry Winter League be discontinued and that the trophy be competed for by three teams from the Mid-Kerry area – this competition to be played before the Co. Championship.’ The areas that were suggested were a) Castlemaine parish, b) Milltown, Beaufort and Killorglin, as far as the town, and c) all the area west of Killorglin town and Glenbeigh parish. This motion was referred to the first meeting of the Board.
  7. ‘That any player who will not turn out for two successive matches, or training sessions, without a reasonable excuse, should not be considered for Mid-Kerry teams during the season.’
  8. ‘That the Board holds a dance to present the 1960 medals to the winning teams and that this function be made an annual event.’
  9. ‘That the Board would advise the clubs on nominations for the Co. Convention and that the clubs be requested to support these nominations.’
  10. ‘That every second meeting be held in Milltown and Killorglin.’


The Mid-Kerry Board met on five occasions during the year, mostly for fixture-making purposes and the consideration of reports on games. The meeting of the Board in the CYMS Hall on 20th March agreed to run the new competition for the Laune Rangers Cup, as discussed at the AGM. However, it was decided not to present trophies for the competition, except, obviously, the cup itself. Extra time would be played if necessary. Each team would be allowed three cars for transport of players at 1/- per mile. It was, however, agreed that the Board would pay only from the centre of the area e.g. the centre of the Keel/Castlemaine area was Castlemaine. All the expenses would be paid out of gate receipts. It was also decided to present the Minor Co. Championship medals to the players at the Laune Rangers Club Social in the Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney on Thurs. 6th April. The Board would pay 12/6 for each player to the Laune Rangers Club. At the Board meeting in the Muintir na Tíre Hall, Milltown on 30th May, it was clarified that the Board would not buy trophies for the winners of the Laune Rangers Cup but the winning team could do so if it wished.  It was stressed that a team that was up to 15 minutes late on the field would be fined 10/- and an extra 10/- for every fifteen minutes thereafter. If a team was unable to make a venue for the appointed time, the Secretary of the Board should be notified on the Saturday prior to the game. The meeting in the CYMS Hall on 17th July decided to write a letter of thanks to Father Linehan, Keel, who had donated a fine cup for juvenile football to be called the Paddy Burke Memorial Cup. The final meeting of the Board was held in the CYMS Hall on 13th Nov. The Secretary was instructed to write to the Secretary of the Co. Board for car expenses for conveying players to Killarney from Glenbeigh for senior, junior and minor trials. The Treasurer, Pat O Shea, gave a rough estimate of the financial position of the Board. It was thought that there might be a deficit of £6. It was decided to allow £3, travelling expenses, to the Beaufort Club. The Chairman congratulated the Treasurer for his fine report.


The minutes of two Laune Rangers Club meetings are available. John Foley presided over the meeting in the CYMS Hall on 12th June. Also in attendance were James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Paul McMahon, Paudie Carrol, Tony Lyons, Noel O Mahony and members from Gortluachra and Gurrane. The arrangements for the seven-a-side parish league were made. There were ten teams in total. Four teams would play in the preliminary round and six teams would receive a bye to the quarter-finals. The winners of the competition would receive a set of cups. A special competition would be run for the losers of the preliminary round and the losers of the quarter-finals. The winners of that competition would receive a set of medals. The draws were then made. It was decided at the meeting that players, selected for the senior team, would be notified by post.

Present at the meeting on 6th Nov. were John Foley, Chairman, James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Billy Dodd and Denis O Neill. It was agreed that if all the Killorglin non-resident players declared for their home team, the club would seek permission to enter for the Co. Championship. The meeting passed the following nominations for the Mid-Kerry Convention:

Chairman: James Coffey; Vice-Chairman – Noel O Mahony; Sec: Willie Barton; Treasurer – Gearóid O Sullivan; Delegate to Co. Board – Murt Kelly. The following motions were agreed to be forwarded to the Mid-Kerry convention:

  1. ‘That all evening games be cut out.’
  2. ‘That the Mid-Kerry Senior Championship commence on the second Sunday in March.’
  3. ‘That all referees’ reports get the fullest consideration from the Chairman and that he rules accordingly.’
  4. ‘That the Mid-Kerry Minor Championship be run on a league system, with a single round and that the two top teams play off in the final.’
  5. ‘That teams, failing to fulfil Sunday fixtures without giving at least five days notice, be suspended for one month and/or a fine of £5 be imposed on the club to be deducted from the travelling expenses of that club.’
  6. ‘That the present Laune Rangers Cup competition be abandoned in favour of the old competition.’

The club gave the Secretary permission to enter any other motions if necessary. The Treasurer’s report showed that, when all outstanding accounts were paid off, the club would have a debt of £30, approx. The meeting decided to run juvenile and minor parish leagues the following year. The club expressed dissatisfaction with the way affairs were handled during the year by the Mid-Kerry Board.


Sun. 29th Jan. in the Oisín Ballroom: Laune Rangers sponsored the 4th Annual Biddy Championship of Kerry. The music was by the Rhythm Aces and the parade was at 10.45pm. Kilgobnet, led by Charles O Shea, won their fourth successive title, the Dr. Craig Cup, and £25. Aunagarry, led by Pat Hartnett, went very close to dethroning the champions and the Town, led by Mike McMahon was third – the fact that they did not have music cost them points.


On Tues. 7th Feb. it was decided at a J. P. O Sullivan Park Committee meeting that the pitch should be leveled, enclosed and re-sodded. This was estimated to cost £1,000. The task of fund-raising to clear the cost was undertaken and an appeal was made to exiles to contribute. Contributions were to be sent to Todd Mulvihill, Treasurer of the committee, or to James Coffey, Secretary of the club. In the meantime, training and games were played in George Evans field adjacent to Dromavalla Cemetery.


Laune Rangers Annual Social was held in the Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney on 6th April. Music was by the Rhythm Aces. The 1960 Co. Minor Championship medals were presented to the Mid-Kerry players at this social. Pat O Shea, Treasurer, was responsible for the tickets.


The Co. Board meeting on 11th April decided to run a juvenile competition between all the District Boards. Players had to be U-15 on 1st Jan. 1961.


The Co. Board meeting on Mon. 12th June decided that a grant of £50 from the Munster Council should be allocated to Laune Rangers Club to help with the development of the J.P. O Sullivan Park. The pitch was leveled and enclosed. Obviously, the pitch was closed during this development and George Evans gave the club the use of a field at Dromavalla.


At the Munster Convention on 4th March in the Hotel Manhattan, Tralee, it was decided to set up a committee to suggest means by which the standard of football in the province might be improved. For the first time since 1927 Munster teams failed to win an All-Ireland in any grade. It was decided to inaugurate an U-21 competition and to bring Vocational Schools competitions under the control of the Munster Council.


Following a motion that was passed at Co. Convention, the referees of the county were organized and brought for instruction by Dan Ryan, Austin Stacks. James Coffey was the only football referee that attended from Mid-Kerry.


James Coffey refereed the following games for the Kerry Co. Board:

Thurs. 18th May, Senior Hurling Championship at Lixnaw: Lixnaw 3-9; Killarney 2-2.

Wed. 28th June, Minor Football Championship at Cahersiveen: South-Kerry defeated Ballymacelligott.

Thurs. 13th July, Senior Hurling Championship at Killarney: Killarney defeated Ballyheigue.


James Coffey refereed the following game for the Kerry Vocational Schools’ Committee:

Junior Football final on Thurs. 15th May at Milltown: Listowel 1-9; Waterville 2-3.


NFL Final on Sun. 14th May in Croke Park: Kerry 4-16; Derry 1-5.

Munster Football Final (replay) on Sun. 24th July in Killarney: Kerry 2-13; Cork 1-4.

All-Ireland Semi-Final on Sun. 7th Aug. in Croke Park: Down 1-12; Kerry 0-9.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty, Jerome O Shea, Niall Sheehy, Tim Lyons, Sean Murphy, Kevin Coffey, Mick O Dwyer, Mick O Connell, Seamus Murphy, Dan McAuliffe, Timmy O Sullivan, Paudie Sheehy, Teddy Dowd, Jack Dowling, Gary Clifford. Subs: Dave Geaney, Tom McKenna (Dingle) for G. Clifford, Tomo Burke (Castleisland) for Sean Murphy, Alan Conway (John Mitchels), John Healy (Listowel).

Kerry was trained by Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan and captained by Paudie Sheehy.


Kerry lost first round of the Munster Minor Football Championship to Clare on Sun. 21st June at Newcastlewest.

Kerry: DJ Kelliher (Milltown), Joe O Mahony (do.), Paudie O Donoghue (Asdee), Declan Lovett (Kilmoyley), J. Sheehan (Kilcummin), JJ Barrett (Austin Stacks), M. O Shea (Kenmare), J. Rice (do.), P. Scanlon (Currow), Michael McKenna (Kerins O Rahillys), P. McMahon (Desmonds), Gerald Cullinane (Dr. Crokes), Dom O Donnell (John Mitchels), Charlie O Hanlon (Austin Stacks), Denis O Sullivan (Kerins O Rahillys). Subs: Freddy Murphy (Rathmore), John McCarthy (Ballylongford), Roddy O Donnell (John Mitchels), Tommy O Sullivan (Kerins O Rahillys), Timothy O Shea (Waterville), Billy Kerins (Milltown), Joe Driscoll (Aunascaul).


Pat Ahern, still playing with Ballymacelligott, was on the Kerry Junior team that beat Cork in the Munster Final in Dunmanway on Sun. 2nd July on the score of 2-4 to 0-6. (This was Kerry’s fourth Munster Junior title in a row). He was at left full-forward on the team that was beaten by Louth in the All-Ireland semi-final at Dundalk on the score of 2-7 to 1-8.

Kerry: Tony Guerin (Emmett’s), Denny Falvey (Aunascaul), Alan Conway (John Mitchels), John Dalton (do.), Fred Lynch (do.), Con Clifford (Dr. Crokes), Pa Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Donie O Sullivan (Dr. Crokes), R. Broderick (Austin Stacks), Bobby Buckley (Ballyheigue), Paddy Hussey (Dingle), Weeshie Fogarty (Legion), Joe Sheehy (Moyvane), Pat Ahern (Ballymac). Subs: Liam Dennehy (Kerins O Rahillys), D. Purtill (Ballylongford), T. Gunn (Ballydonoghue), Louis Nolan (Legion), Liam Chute (Ballymac).


Pat Ahern, still playing with Ballymac, was selected on the panel for the National Football League games versus Carlow (Sun. 22nd Oct.) and Wexford (Sun. 2nd Dec.).


Sean O Reilly, Farrentoreen, was one of the stars of the St. Vincent’s team (Cricklewood) that won the London Co. Senior Football Championship by surprisingly beating Round Towers in the final by 2 points on Sun. 1st Oct..


At the Co. Board meeting on Mon. 16th Oct. the transfers of Sean Falvey and Noel O Mahony from Laune Rangers to Dublin were sanctioned.


Vincent Lucey was on the victorious Dublin minor team that won the Leinster Championship by beating Offaly on the score of 2-8 to 1-8.


Noel Lucey, representing Celtic A. C., Dublin shared the best overall athlete at the Co. Championship Sports in Milltown on Sun. 9th July. He won the 100 yards sprint and the long jump, reaching 21ft. 9.5 ins.


The General Election was held on Wed. 4th Oct. The following were elected to represent the South Kerry Constituency: Honor Crowley (FF), Killarney, Timothy O Connor (FF), Killorglin and Patrick ‘Scarteen’ O Connor (FG), Kenmare. Patrick W. Palmer (FG) did not seek re-election and John Joe Rice (Sinn Féin) lost his seat.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 10th Dec. 1961. The Secretary, Michael Shanahan, in his report stated that gate receipts and attendances had been down on previous years. All competitions had been completed and Milltown had brought off the double by winning the minor and senior titles. Laune Rangers had won the juvenile title and a team from Killorglin/Milltown had won the Laune Rangers Cup (a new competition). All clubs had been represented in all competitions with the exception of Keel, who had not entered a minor team and the Secretary hoped that Keel would have a minor team the following year, as a club that could not field a minor team would find it hard to field a senior team within a few years. The Mid-Kerry senior team had acquitted itself well during the year. Many challenge games had been played to help select a strong team and, after doing well in the O Rahilly’s Tournament, they had sprung a big surprise by defeating a fancied South Kerry side in the Co. Championship but then they had failed to Ardfert in the quarter-finals. The minors had gone close to defeating Mitchel’s in the first round of the championship and, with a little more care and coaching, they could well have won and gone on to retain the title. Concluding, the Secretary thanked the officers of the Board for their help during the year and, also, the different clubs for their co-operation. The Secretary, also, said that he hoped the Board would do something to get more referees for the coming year, as the lack of referees had been, as in former years, a big headache. The Secretary thanked the gate collectors and stewards for their work during the year.


The AGM of the Laune Rangers Club was held in the CYMS, Hall on 17th Dec. 1961. The Secretary, James Coffey, in his report stated that “the year under review was, despite one of activity, a rather disappointing year. With the exception of our juveniles, we failed to win a Mid-Kerry title. Of course, the winning of titles isn’t the important thing in an association such as the GAA. However, when we look back over the year, we had only the privilege of winning two senior games and one minor game. For a poor record such as this, the blame can only be placed at the hands of the players. They showed very poor spirit as far as the club is concerned and, if this same spirit is going to be maintained in the coming year, we might as well withdraw altogether from the football affairs of Mid-Kerry. It is heartbreaking to listen to the excuses for not training or turning out for games.

The club went to a great deal of expense to provide a field for the Gaels of the parish, while work was going on in the O Sullivan Park but the players didn’t show much appreciation. I am sorry to say that the town players were the biggest offenders in this respect. At this, the most important meeting of the club to be held each year, I am appealing to all the players to show a greater spirit in the coming year. They must put in a great deal of training and, if this is done, I am sure that, when the 1962 Annual Meeting comes, we will be able to look back on a really successful year.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our juvenile footballers on winning the Mid-Kerry Championship and becoming the first holders of the Paddy Burke Memorial Cup. I would like to suggest to the incoming committee to run a special league for minors and juveniles. A great deal of credit is due to our President, Father O Riordan, on running a league amongst the members of the Dominic Savio Club. Some of the players from this league formed the backbone of our victorious juvenile side. The seven-a-side league should be run again. It is a good way to get our players fit. A senior parish league should, also, be run. Once again our Annual Social was a great success and we must go all out to make next year’s event an even greater success. During the year, work began in the O Sullivan Park. We had to help in the fund-raising, so our own funds were bound to suffer.

If we are to carry out next year’s programme, we must get more support. Some of the events run by the club were poorly supported by the people of this town. The recent 31 drive was an example of this. It is a sorry sight to see people leaving this town to attend functions elsewhere, when local clubs were doing their best to provide proper entertainment at home. This club is doing more for the youth of the parish than any other club or organisation. We cater for people from 10 years upwards and we are providing a healthy pastime. By playing Gaelic Football, they are learning to become good sportsmen and, above all, good Irishmen. For all this, surely the people of this town and parish should show some sign of gratitude. They can do so by attending or supporting our functions and, above all, our games.

Concluding, I would like to thank all who helped the club in any way, especially Bertie Harmon and Timmy Cronin, who did so much work for us during the year. My thanks to P.J. O Shea and the CYMS for the use of their halls, to Gerald Foley and George Evans for the use of their fields and, finally, to all the officers of the club for their unselfish help during the year.”

Noel Lucey and Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan

At the Co. Championship Sports in Milltown in 1961 – Noel Lucey and Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan