Laune Rangers – 1962

 Some Caragh Lake/Cromane players broke away from Laune Rangers and formed their own club. However, when the Lucey brothers refused to join them, they returned to the fold after one year.

Laune Rangers lost the Mid-Kerry Senior Football Championship Final to Milltown/Castlemaine.

North-Kerry beat Mid-Kerry in the final of the Co. Minor Football Championship.

Laune Rangers won the Mid-Kerry Minor Football Championship for the third time.

Pat Ahern, Laune Rangers, played at right halfback on the Kerry team that beat Cork in the Munster U-21 Football Final. That was the first year of the competition.

Noel Lucey was at centre halfback and Jimmy Lucey played at midfield on the Kerry team that beat Cork in the Munster Senior Football Final and Roscommon in the All-Ireland Final.

James Coffey was re-elected as Secretary of the Mid-Kerry Board for the eighth year in succession.

During the resurfacing of the pitch in the J.P. O Sullivan Park, Laune Rangers Club had the use of Paddy Sheehy’s Field in Cloon.

*           *             *         *       *                    *               *                  *                   *

The AGM of the club took place in the CYMS Hall on Sun. 17th Dec. 1961. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1961). John Foley, Chairman, presided. In the course of his address, he said that 1961 was one of the poorest in the history of the club. He appealed to the players for better co-operation in 1962 and he also hoped that they would show a greater spirit. Concluding, he thanked all who helped the club in any way. The Treasurer, Pat O Shea, in his report stated that, when all outstanding accounts were cleared, the club would be £40 in debt. The financial account was adopted.

Election of officers:

President: Father O Riordan C.C.

Vice-Presidents: Father Stack C.C, Father Finucane P.P, Paddy Foley and Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan.

Chairman: John Foley.

Vice-Chairman: Batty Foley.

Secretary: James Coffey.

Treasurer: Pat O Shea.

Senior Selection Committee (decided on a vote): John Foley, Batty Foley, Pat O Shea, Teddy Mangan and James Coffey.

Committee: The officers and Bertie Harmon, Timmy Cronin, Kevin Foley, Denis O Neill, Gearoid O Sullivan, Enda Curtayne, Denis Harris and Patsy Hurley.

Delegates to Mid-Kerry Board: John Foley and Pat O Shea.

Delegates to Co. Convention: John Foley and James Coffey.

Senior Captain: Batty Foley.

Senior Vice-Captain: Teddy Mangan.

Minor Captain: Pat Ferris.

It was decided on a vote to bring players from Dublin for all games.

It was decided to discuss entering a team in the senior county championship at the following meeting on 29th Dec.


Co. Senior Championship


It was decided at Co. Convention that the Senior Championship would be run on a knock-out basis. There were twelve teams in the competition: Feale Rangers, Austin Stacks, Desmonds, Kenmare, West-Kerry, Killarney, South-Kerry, Mid-Kerry, John Mitchels, Kerins O Rahillys, Ballymacelligott and St. Brendan’s.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 19th Aug. at Cahersiveen: South-Kerry 2-8; Mid-Kerry 2-3.

Heavy underfoot conditions, following early-morning downpours, plus a strong crosswind, ruled out a high standard of play in the Con Keating Park, when South-Kerry knocked Mid-Kerry out of the Co. Championship. Spoiling tactics and close marking, aimed particularly at the Kerry players –  Mick O Connell and Mick O Dwyer of South Kerry, and Jerry O Riordan and Jimmy Lucey of Mid-Kerry – resulted in a lot of scrambling exchanges, with little prospect of the fine open football, which might well have been expected from two sides boasting of so many high-fielders and long kickers.

South-Kerry led by 2-5 to 1-2 at the interval, but the strong local following got serious cause for worry, midway in the second half, when Mid-Kerry, dominant in every sector, narrowed the lead to three points and sheer hard luck thwarted them of the equalising goal, when a fisted effort by Willie Barton just scraped over the crossbar. It was here that ace footballer Mick O Connell once again proved the saviour of South-Kerry. Securing possession deep in his own defence area in the last quarter, he streaked away on a solo run and kicked over a beauty of a point from 40 yards. He repeated the feat soon after and the shot-in-the-arm, which those picture points injected was just what South-Kerry needed to withstand the strong finish of their heavier and fitter opponents.

Mid-Kerry wided in the first minute. The home side came away for Ned Fitzgerald to send a grounder across the square, which Kevin Donnelly lashed smartly to the net. Mick O Connell pointed a 30 yards free and Ned Fitzgerald, with three nice points from close-in frees, increased the South-Kerry lead. Then Patrick O Shea had the opening point for the visitors, after the Mid-Kerry forwards had missed some good chances. John Burke, who had been showing up very prominently on the 40, barged his way through for a goal and followed soon after with a fine point. However, the Southerners pulled further ahead before the interval with a point by Ned Fitzgerald and a shock goal by ‘Junior’ Murphy.

Mid-Kerry had the better of matters in the opening quarter of the second half and apprehension was evident in the South-Kerry camp when Willie Barton fisted a point and John Burke shot a great goal, to leave his side trailing by only three points. The South-Kerry men appeared very unsettled at that stage and, after their net had some narrow escapes, Mick O Connell fell back in defence. His late points enabled his tiring team-mates to hold out for a deserved, if rather unimpressive, win over a gallant and sporting Mid-Kerry fifteen. Best for the losers were John Burke, Noel O Mahony, Patrick O Shea, Jerry O Riordan, Jimmy Lucey and Willie Barton.

South-Kerry: Michael Sheehan, Jerome O Shea, Batty Galvin, Jim Sugrue, Jimmy Keating, John O Connell, Maurice Bermingham, Mick O Connell (0-3), Denis McCarthy, George Curran, Mick O Dwyer, Junior Murphy (1-0), J. Lynch, Ned Fitzgerald (0-5), Kevin Donnelly (1-0). Subs: J. O Mahony for M. Bermingham, R. Greene for J. O Mahony.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Bowler (Glenbeigh), Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers), Willie Spring (Milltown/Castlemaine), Jimmy Healy (Glenbeigh), Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), Connie O Sullivan (Glenbeigh), Ned O Shea (Keel), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Jimmy Lucey (Laune Rangers), Patrick O Shea (do.) 0-1, John Burke (Milltown/Castlemaine 2-1, Pat Kelliher, Noel O Mahony (Laune Rangers), Willie Barton (Keel) 0-1, Tony Lyons (Laune Rangers). Subs: John Joe Ladden (Milltown/Castlemaine), Patcheen Clifford (do.), Michael O Sullivan (do.), Billy Kerins (do.), Donal Mangan (Laune Rangers), Teddy Mangan (do.), Mícheál Griffin (Glenbeigh).


On 11th Nov. John Mitchels, captained by Teddy Dowd, made it four-in-a-row of Co. Senior Football Championship titles by beating Feale Rangers in a replay by 1-9 to 0-5.


Kerryman Shield

That was the first year of the competition. It was decided at the Co. Board meeting on Fri. 9th March that the Kerryman Shield, which had been donated by the Kerryman, would be presented to the winners of the Co. League between the District Boards. There was to be a two-year plan – the same groups, the same draws but the venues would be reversed. One shilling per mile travelling expenses for four cars would be paid to each team. Each club would collect the gate (one shilling entry fee) and provide a football for the game. The top two teams in each group would be in the semi-finals.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 1st April at Killarney: Killarney 5-6; Mid-Kerry 3-4.

After trailing by 2-2 to 1-1 at halftime, Killarney turned in a fine second half display to win. Rain fell throughout the first half, making conditions difficult, and, as a result, the standard of football never reached very great heights. It was a powerful display by their midfielder, Timmy Sheehan, that set Killarney on the high road to victory in the second half. His first-class fielding, clever positioning and distribution of the ball were an inspiration to his colleagues.

The game opened with an attack by the Killarney side but fullback, Pat O Shea, cleared. The ball found its way to Patrick O Shea at right half-forward and the diminutive Mid-Kerry winger raced goalwards, parted to Des O Connor, who goaled. This score came after one and a half minutes of play. From the kick-out, Patrick O Shea again secured. He tore through the Killarney defence with lightning speed and again made an opening for full-forward O Connor, who shot to the net. Subsequently, a melee developed in the Mid-Kerry goalmouth, which resulted in referee, former Kerry star, Colm Kennelly, ordering a player from both sides to the line.

Mid-Kerry had two further points from the accurate foot of Patrick O Shea, before Killarney notched their first score, a point per Jackie Looney. From this to the end of the first half, the exchanges were pretty even, but Killarney had the better of the scoring. In the twenty-seventh minute Tadhgie Fleming had a Killarney goal, following a pass from Weeshie Fogarty. Mid-Kerry were lucky when shots by Paddy O Shea and Jackie Looney hit the woodwork and when the short whistle sounded, they led by four points.

However, Mid-Kerry were first to draw blood in the second half when, from the throw-in, they swept upfield and Willie Barton pointed. But then Killarney gradually began to assert supremacy. After three minutes, Tadhgie Fleming punched a centre from Weeshie Fogarty over the bar. Four minutes later, Fogarty put his own name on the scoring list when he dived full length to punch a hard cross from Jackie Looney to the net. And then Killarney went ahead for the first time, when full-forward Michael O Connor, availed of a mistake by the Mid-Kerry goalkeeper and raised the green flag again. Mid-Kerry, undaunted, rallied gallantly and, as they pressed the Killarney goal, we saw some of the best football of the hour. After Killarney broke away for points per Jackie Looney and Con Clifford, Des O Connor shot a fine goal for Mid-Kerry to leave his side trailing by only one point. However, their hopes were shattered when Killarney forward, Tadhgie Fleming, finished a fine movement to the net.

Johnny Culloty, who had come on for Michael Spillane, added his own brand of craft to the Killarney team. Both he and Michael O Connor added points and then, with about five minutes to go, O Connor clinched the issue when he banged home a fine goal. In the dying minutes, Patrick O Shea had a consolation point for Mid-Kerry. He was in sparkling form and was easily the outstanding player for the losers. Pat O Shea, at right fullback, Jerry O Riordan at midfield and John Burke also had their moments.

Killarney: John Sheehy, Gene Fogarty, Con Clifford (0-1), Michael O Connor (2-1) Michael Spillane, Louis Nolan, Donal Lynch, Timmy Sheehan, Tom Long, Noel O Connor, Paddy O Shea, Weeshie Fogarty (1-0), Jackie Looney (0-2), Dan O Keeffe, Tadhgie Fleming (2-1). Sub: Johnny Culloty (0-1) for M. Spillane.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Mangan (Laune Rangers), Pat O Shea (do.), Jimmy Healy (Glenbeigh), Donal Mangan (Laune Rangers), Tony Lyons (do.), Connie O Sullivan (Glenbeigh), Ned O Shea (Keel), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Willie Burke (Milltown/Castlemaine), Patrick O Shea (Laune Rangers) 0-3, John Burke (Milltown/Castlemaine), Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), Billy Kerins (Milltown/Castlemaine), Des O Connor (Glenbeigh) 3-0, Willie Barton (Keel) 0-1. Sub: Owen Mangan (Laune Rangers) for W. Burke.

Action from the Kerryman Shield match 1962

Action from the Kerryman Shield match 1962, Mid-Kerry v Killarney – Pat O Shea and Donal Mangan (No. 4) protect Teddy Mangan (goalkeeper)

Rd. 2 on Sun. 15th April at Tralee: Mid-Kerry 4-9; Austin Stacks 0-4.

Mid-Kerry collected easy points at Tralee at the expense of Austin Stacks. They played with the breeze in the first half and led by 1-6 to 0-1 at the interval. It was thought that Stacks might make a better impression in the second half but, instead, Mid-Kerry continued to dominate and finished comfortable winners. Pat O Shea, Pat Ahern and Connie O Sullivan in defence, Jerry O Riordan at midfield and Patrick O Shea, John Burke and Des O Connor in attack were the stars of the Mid-Kerry side.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Mangan, Jimmy Healy, Pat O Shea, Michael O Sullivan (Milltown/Castlemaine), Ned O Shea, Connie O Sullivan, Pat Ahern, Jerry O Riordan, Jimmy Lucey, Patrick O Shea, John Burke, Billy Kerins, Willie Barton, Des O Connor, Owen Mangan. Subs: John Joe Ladden (Milltown/Castlemaine), Pat Clifford (do.), Donal Mangan (Laune Rangers), Mícheál Griffin (Glenbeigh).

Austin Stacks: Jimmy Tonra, Harry Curtin, J. Brett, Con Quirke, T. Leahy, Mick Quirke, Jim Mahony, Kevin Barry, Johnny Brosnan, Maurice Breen, Dom Moriarty, Timmy McMahon, Ted Leen, John Doody, Michael Healy.

Ref: George Weir (Tralee).

Mid-Kerry Senior Football Team versus Austin Stacks in 1962

Mid-Kerry Senior Football Team versus Austin Stacks in 1962 Kerryman Shield
Kneeling (l to r): Patrick O Shea (Laune Rangers), Owen Mangan (do), Ned O Shea (Keel), Des Connor (Glenbeigh), Billy Kerins (Milltown), Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), Mike O Sullivan (Milltown), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), John Burke (Milltown).
Back: John Joe Ladden (Milltown), Willie Barton (Keel), Paddy Clifford (Milltown), Jimmy Healy (Glenbeigh), Pat O Shea (Laune Rangers), Donal Mangan (do), Jimmy Lucey (do), Teddy Mangan (do), Mícheál Griffin (Glenbeigh), Connie O Sullivan (do).

Rd. 3 on Sun. 13th May at Kenmare: Kenmare 2-3; Mid-Kerry 0-9.

A fine last quarter rally enabled Kenmare to force a draw with Mid-Kerry at Kenmare. The game was played in ideal weather conditions and the fare was interesting throughout. The exchanges in the first quarter were very even and at the end of this period, the teams were level, 0-2 each. Good work by John Burke, Jimmy Lucey, Jerry O Riordan and Pat Ahern saw Mid-Kerry on top in the second quarter and at halftime they led by 0-6 to 0-2.

Mid-Kerry dominated at the start of the second half but they persisted in going for goals and this did not pay dividends against a sound defence powered by Mickey Wharton, Johnny Rice and goalkeeper, Pete Hanley. Entering the last quarter, Mid-Kerry led by six points. Then Kenmare rallied and Tom Spillane and P. Sommers combined for the latter to shoot a good goal. Kenmare continued on the offensive and, after prominent football by Batty Burns and Paudie Healy, Somers shot another goal. He followed with a point to put Kenmare ahead. Mid-Kerry, however, retaliated and scored an equalising point per Billy Kerins.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Mangan, Pat O Shea, Willie Spring, Michael O Sullivan, John Joe Ladden, Pat Ahern, Willie Burke, Jerry O Riordan, Jimmy Lucey, Batty Foley (Laune Rangers), John Burke, Billy Kerins, Pat Clifford, Des O Connor, Willie Barton.

Kenmare: Pete Hanley, Tom O Connor, Mickey Wharton, Johnny Rice, P. Drummond, Paudie Healy, Johnny O Shea, Batty Burns, Johnny Randles, Gene O Leary, P. Somers, Geoff Mahony, Stevie Burns, J. O Connor, Tom Granville. Sub: Tom Spillane for J. O Shea.

Ref: Colm Kennelly (Killarney)


Rd. 4 on Sun. 27th May at Castleisland: Mid-Kerry 0-10; Castleisland 0-4.

Mid-Kerry were still there with a chance in the Kerryman Shield. After that win, they were trailing Killarney and South-Kerry by just one point at the top of the table in Group A. The six point win at Castleisland might have come as a surprise to many but there could be no doubt but that the better team won. Mid-Kerry were a shade superior in most sectors and, while they did not really exert their supremacy until the last quarter, they looked likely winners from an early stage.

Twelve wides and only one point, such was Castleisland’s dismal record in the first half when playing with the breeze – little wonder they were beaten. The first half was disappointing. Football was well below standard and the fact that only a point separated the teams at any stage was poor compensation. What must have further aggravated spectators was the manner in which the Castleisland kick-outs were taken. Time and again the ball hardly rose above the ground, gaining about only twenty yards or so. Certainly, Tim Lyons was missed hereabouts, in this respect alone.

Whilst Castleisland did not deserve to win, the issue almost certainly would have been much closer had not a very dangerous shot by Sean Brennan, six minutes from time, gone inches wide of the post. Mid-Kerry, at that stage, led by only 0-6 to 0-4. However, it was balanced by the fact that the winners failed to goal from a penalty shortly afterwards – Billy Kerins’ shot being deflected over the bar by goalkeeper Morrissey.

No flag was raised in the first quarter. It was not until the seventeenth minute that Castleisland went into the lead when Tadhgie Lyne pointed a free. Then, almost immediately, another Castleisland ball was flagged as a point by one umpire and wide by another. After consultation with the referee, Joe Kerins of Tralee, no score was allowed. Billy Kerins tapped over the equaliser in the twenty-second minute after a free by him was blocked down. Castleisland missed a great chance two minutes from the interval when a hard shot by Jer Burke was saved. The ball rolled across the goalmouth but there was no forward there in time. Mid-Kerry went into the lead for the first time when Kerins secured from a fifty by Pat Ahern and swung over a grand point. At halftime, it was 0-2 to 0-1 to Mid-Kerry.

Castleisland started the second half well but lack of finish in attack cost them scores. In the fifth minute, Pat McMahon had the Mid-Kerry goal at his mercy but he was fouled and Tadhgie Lyne drove over the equaliser from the free. Kerins and Lyne exchanged points before Mid-Kerry hit the front for the fourth time when Jimmy Lucey fielded a Jerry O Riordan centre, parted to Billy Kerins and the flying winger once more sent straight between the posts. Again Castleisland hit back. Tadhgie Lyne fielded a centre by Connie O Sullivan and sent a high curling shot over for the equaliser. However, Castleisland faded at that stage and Mid-Kerry proceeded to take control. Points by Pat Ahern, Billy Kerins (2), substitute Batty Foley (2) and Willie Barton well and truly finished Castleisland.

Mid-Kerry were very sound in defence. Willie Spring and Pat O Shea, in the fullback line, and Pat Ahern, in the halfback line, had particularly fine games. Jerry O Riordan was a most whole-hearted midfielder. He had a lively partner in Jimmy Lucey, who also accomplished good work but was inclined to move out of position. John Burke took a heavy knock in the first half and was never really going well. However, he did make a number of scores for his colleagues. The fact that he notched six points is sufficient tribute to Billy Kerins whilst bustling Des O Connor, at full-forward, was ever a danger when in possession. Overall the forwards shot too many wides in the second half.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Mangan, Pat O Shea, Willie Spring, Michael O Sullivan, John Joe Ladden, Pat Ahern (0-1), Jackie O Dwyer (Laune Rangers), Jerry O Riordan, Jimmy Lucey, Joe McSweeney (Glenbeigh), John Burke, Billy Kerins (0-6), J. McKenna, Des O Connor, Willie Barton (0-1). Sub: Batty Foley (0-2).

Castleisland: F. Morrissey, Nicholas Quill, Mick O Donoghue (Desmonds), Denis O Riordan (Scartaglin), M. J. O Sullivan (Desmonds), Tommo Burke (do), Patsy Flynn (Currow), Ger Burke (Desmonds), Sean Brennan (do), Connie O Sullivan (do), Pat Scanlon (Currow), Pat McMahon (Cordal), T. McCarthy, Tadhgie Lyne (Desmonds), Timmy O Sullivan (do).

Ref: Joe Kerins (Tralee).


Rd. 5 on Sun. 17th June at Killorglin: Mid-Kerry 1-4; South-Kerry 2-7.

South-Kerry well and truly beat Mid-Kerry to reach the semi-finals of the Kerryman Shield. The outcome was a big disappointment to the fairly large home following, but there could be no regrets by them at the end. South-Kerry played the greasy ball much better and when they hit the front early in the second half, after trailing by 1-3 to 1-1 at the interval, never subsequently looked in danger of defeat. The trouble with Mid-Kerry was that they lacked fighting spirit, essential to any team. No resemblance to the magnificent way they had rallied against the Southerners in the championship the previous year. Then they had bridged a five-points’ gap in the last ten minutes to win.

The turning point of the game came eight minutes after the re-start. Denis McCarthy sent South-Kerry away on attack, a Mid-Kerry halfback secured but left the ball slip out of his hands, Mick O Dwyer collected, jinked his way through to the right of the posts and let fly a grand, low shot, which beat Teddy Bowler all ends up. That was just the tonic that South-Kerry needed – just the blow to soften up Mid-Kerry for the knockout. The Southerners proceeded to force the issue and Mid-Kerry back-pedalled right out of the game.

That was yet another triumph for mighty Mick O Connell, the wonder ball-player from Valentia. His superb ball-control and deadly accurate kicking kept his side on the offensive for long periods in the second half and it was inevitable that the South-Kerry attack would reap reward from that flow of fluent football. Jerry O Riordan tried hard against O Connell but most of his efforts were doomed to failure. For instance, three minutes from time the Mid-Kerry midfielder won possession well out on the left wing, O Connell blocked down O Riordan’s kick, took the ball away from the break and swung over as nice a point with his left as one could ever wish to see. There had been another beautifully executed point by him midway through the second half. He won possession in the halfback line, soloed away downfield, slipping Jimmy Lucey in the process, and, from about twenty-one yards out, tapped straight between the posts. Mick’s brother, John, at centre halfback, gave a grand display too. Always in the right spot at the right time, he put paid to numerous Mid-Kerry raids. His clean fielding and lengthy kicking stamped him as the outstanding defender on view.

Mid-Kerry lost their chance of victory in the first half when playing with the breeze. Midfielder Jimmy Lucey was in sparkling form and helped to give his team a territorial advantage, but the Mid-Kerry forwards, with the exception of Noel O Mahony, did a poor job of work, missing some very good chances for scores. Lucey had a variety of opponents marking him during the hour. First P. T. O Sullivan, then Willie O Shea and, later, Denis McCarthy, who was the most successful of the three.

The game was only one minute old when Mid-Kerry scored. Noel O Mahony secured from a clearance by Ned O Shea, went away on the right wing and drove over a fine point. Shortly afterwards, he sent the white flag waving again after Billy Kerins had placed him from a free. When play swung to the other end, Ned Fitzgerald missed a great chance of a goal, following a nice passing movement started by Mick O Connell. But the South-Kerry full-forward atoned to some extent seconds later when he drove over the bar. Then followed a shock South-Kerry goal, when a centre by Mick O Dwyer was badly misjudged and Kevin Donnelly was on the spot to crash to the net. Noel O Mahony narrowed the gap to a point and, then, Mid-Kerry regained the lead when corner-forward Tony Lyons went higher than two South-Kerry men and fisted home an O Mahony centre. So, at halftime, the home side led by 1-3 to 1-1 but their chances of victory looked far from bright, for the breeze was worth well more than two points.

Jerry O Riordan and Ned Fitzgerald exchanged points on the restart and then Mick O Dwyer scored the decisive goal. South-Kerry never looked back after that. An O Connell point in the fourteenth minute was followed by a similar score by Willie O Shea and Denis McCarthy. It was O Connell, fittingly enough, who set the seal on the Southerners’ victory when he scored two points before the end.

Most of the Mid-Kerry team disappointed. Michael O Connor and Ned O Shea were fair enough in the halfback line, but Jimmy Lucey and Noel O Mahony were the only others worthy of mention. It was a pity that Lucey did not maintain his fine first-half form, for if he did, South-Kerry might not have won so easily in the end.

The game was played in the re-opened J. P. O Sullivan Park and £100 was taken at the gate at 1/- per head.

South-Kerry: Mícheál Sheehan, Batty Galvin, Jerome O Shea, Jim Sugrue, John O Connor, John O Connell, Jimmy Keating, Mick O Connell (0-3), Pat T. O Sullivan, Willie O Shea (0-1), Mick O Dwyer (1-0), Ted McCarthy, Denis McCarthy (0-1), Ned Fitzgerald (0-2), James O Shea. Subs: Kevin Donnelly (1-0) for J. Sugrue, T. O Connor for W. O Shea, George Curran for D. McCarthy.

Mid-Kerry: Teddy Bowler, Pat O Shea, Willie Spring, James Harmon (Glenbeigh), Ned O Shea, Michael O Connor (Keel), Jimmy Healy, Jerry O Riordan (0-1), Jimmy Lucey, Patrick O Shea, Noel O Mahony (0-3), Billy Kerins, Tony Lyons (1-0), Des O Connor, Pat Ahern.

Ref: D. Lawlor (Ardfert).


Final on Sun. 2nd Sept. at Listowel: Feale Rangers 2-5; John Mitchels 0-7.

Feale Rangers were the first holders of the Kerryman Shield.


Mid-Kerry Senior Championship

Laune Rangers Selection Committee – John Foley, Batty Foley, Pat O Shea, Teddy Mangan and James Coffey.

There were six teams in the Championship in 1962, as Caragh Lake/Cromane had broken away from Laune Rangers. As decided at the AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board, the teams were divided into two groups of three. Glenbeigh, Laune Rangers and Caragh Lake/Cromane were in one group. Two teams qualified for the semi-finals – Laune Rangers and Glenbeigh.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 22nd July at Killorglin at 3.30pm: Laune Rangers 2-5; Glenbeigh 2-2.

That game provided plenty of good football. Laune Rangers just held out in a thrilling finish, having led by 0-3 to 0-1 at halftime. During the game, Pat O Shea got injured and his place was taken by Patsy Joy.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 29th July at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 4-6; Caragh Lake/Cromane 2-1.

The winners led by 2-1 to 1-0 at halftime and they were best served by Teddy Mangan, Pat O Shea, Denis O Neill, Pat Ferris, Sean McKenna, Humphrey Curran, Noel O Mahony, Owen Mangan and Patrick O Shea. The losers’ best were Mike Murphy, Larry Carey, Foley, Mike Hassett and Jackie O Dwyer.


Semi-final on Sun. 26th Aug. at Killorglin at 2.30pm: Laune Rangers beat Beaufort.

A strong wind blew across the field and ruled out good football. Laune Rangers had their moments of anxiety. Ten minutes from time Beaufort trailed by two points and only two daring saves by the winners’ goalkeeper, Seamus Naughton, foiled them of goals.


Final on Sun. 2nd Sept. at Killorglin: Milltown/Castlemaine 2-4; Laune Rangers 1-4.

A near record attendance witnessed that game of a very high standard of football. Rangers led by five points going into the final quarter but then conceded two goals of the ‘soft’ nature. Firstly, a sideline kick by John Burke sailed all the way to the net, via the butt of the post and then two defenders jumped for the ball, which broke to Billy Kerins and his attempted effort for a point hit the top of the upright and bounced down for Bob Spring to drive to the net. The better team won. Missed chances cost Laune Rangers dearly. Scorers for Milltown/Castlemaine: Bob Spring 1-1, John Burke 1-0, Billy Kerins 0-2, Pat McKenna 0-1. Scorers for Laune Rangers: Brendan Mangan 1-1, Batty Foley 0-2, Tony Lyons 0-1.


Laune Rangers Cup


As decided at the Board meeting on 27th Feb. that competition was played with a loser’s round.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 11th March at Killorglin (Paddy Sheehy’s Field): Glenbeigh beat Laune Rangers.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 18th March at Killorglin (Paddy Sheehy’s Field): Laune Rangers 4-7 Caragh Lake 0-1.

That was a hard fought game. The exchanges were not as one-sided as the result might suggest but the losers’ attack could make very little progress. The gate receipts, for that game, were £7-15-0. The Rangers team was chosen from Patsy Joy, Sean McKenna, Pat O Shea, Patsy Hurley, Paul McMahon, Paddy O Reilly, Patrick O Shea, Brendan Mangan, Owen Mangan, Teddy Mangan, David Power, Pat Callanan, Humphrey Curran, Donal Mangan, Tony Lyons, Mikey Foley, Timmy Corkery, Pat Ahern, M. Hurley, Batty Foley, Denis O Neill, Billy Dodd and Pat Ferris.

At a subsequent Mid-Kerry Board meeting, the Caragh Lake/Cromane delegates enquired about the legality of some of the Laune Rangers’ players and all questions were answered. The delegates said that they were not lodging an objection.


Semi-Finals on Sun. 8th April at Killorglin (Paddy Sheehy’s Field):

Glenbeigh w.o. Keel scr.

Milltown/Castlemaine 1-4; Laune Rangers 1-3.

Conditions were atrocious for the game. A gale force wind blew directly across the field, accompanied by snow showers. It was practically impossible to control the ball. Milltown/Castlemaine won because of their height and weight advantage. They gradually wore down their opponents’ resistance in the second half and withstood a determined Rangers’ rally in the closing stages. At halftime, Rangers led by 1-1 to 0-1. The winners were very sound in defence, where Daly, Willie Spring, Burke and O Sullivan were seen to particular good advantage. Willie Burke and Billy Kerins gave them the advantage at midfield, while Jack Kerins, Pat Clifford and John Burke were the pick of the attack. Best for Rangers were Pat O Shea, Teddy Mangan, Pat Ahern, Owen Mangan, Brendan Mangan, Humphrey Curran and Patrick O Shea.


Final on 22nd April at Killorglin (Paddy Sheehy’s Field): Milltown/Castlemaine 1-4; Glenbeigh 1-4.

At a subsequent Mid-Kerry Board meeting, James Coffey complained that, after the game, he was assaulted by members of the Milltown/Castlemaine team. Action was adjourned and never, thereafter, taken. Milltown/Castlemaine won the replay, at Killorglin on Sun. 1st July, having objected successfully to the appointed referee, James Coffey. At the Mid-Kerry Board meeting on Thurs. 3rd July in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin, the Chairman, Father Kelly, referred to the matter as follows ‘I wish to have it recorded in the minutes that, in future, the affairs of the Board will be run by the Board at its meetings and whatever decisions made at these meetings, will be final.’ Commenting on the Milltown/Castlemaine objection to James Coffey as referee for the Laune Rangers Cup final replay, Father Kelly said that the selection of James Coffey as referee had been unanimous amongst the delegates at the previous Board meeting and nothing had been done at that meeting that hadn’t been done in accordance with the rules. Father Kelly said that on the Thursday prior to the game he was very perturbed when Milltown/Castlemaine sent an ultimatum to him that they would not play if James Coffey was refereeing. ‘If Glenbeigh was not involved, I would have no hesitation in abiding by the decision of the Board,’ said Father Kelly. He also said that the fact that Glenbeigh had lost the game was not the reason for those statements but he said that in future, as long as he was Chairman, clubs and teams would have to abide by his ruling.


7-a-side League


As decided at the AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board, a seven-a-side league was organised. The teams were grouped into two threes, with two teams to qualify for the semi-finals, Glenbeigh and Laune Rangers.


Rd. 1 on Wed. 13th June at Killorglin: Laune Rangers bt. Caragh Lake/Cromane.

Semi-final on Tues. 24th July: Glenbeigh beat Beaufort.

Final: Glenbeigh beat Laune Rangers.


Parish League


Fourteen teams entered for the seven-a-side competition, Caragh Lake, Cromane, Gortluachra, Callanfersy ‘A’ and ‘B’, Tullig, Lower Town, Upper Town, Farrentoreen, Dungeel/Steelroe, Langford St, Ballyledder, Champs and Beaufort. It was a knockout competition. Games were of 15 minutes per half. In the event of a draw, 5 minutes extra time would be played. Penalties were allowed and all kick-outs had to be taken from the small square. The losers of the first round games, would play in a special group called the losers’ group. Nine trophies would be provided for the winners. All players had to pay 6d to all games. The draws were:

Tues. 19th June at 9.00pm: Farrentoreen v Dungeel/Steelroe. Ref: James Coffey.

Thurs. 21st June at 8.30pm: Tullig v Callanfersy ‘A’. Ref: Pat O Shea.

Thurs. 21st June at 9.00pm: Gortluachra v Calanfersy ‘B’. Ref: Patsy Hurley.

Fri. 22nd June at 8.30pm: Lower Town v Upper Town. Ref: Noel O Mahony.

Sat. 23rd June at 8.30pm: Caragh Lake v Cromane. Ref: Batty Foley.

Sat. 23rd June at 9.00pm: Champs v Beaufort. Ref: John Foley.

Sat. 23rd June at 8.30pm: Ballyledder v Langford St.

Semi-Final of winners’ group on Sun. 30th Oct: Lower Town beat Callanfersy ‘A’. Ref: Patsy Hurley.

Lower Town won the final on Sun. 6th Nov.

Ballyledder beat Farrentoreen in the losers’ group final.




Sun. 11th Feb. at Castleisland: Cordal 4-1; Laune Rangers 0-1

Scorers for Cordal were Sonny Leen 2-0, Mick O Connor 1-0, Dan O Sullivan 1-0 and Tim Lyons 0-1. Batty Foley replied for the visitors. Patsy Hurley, Batty Foley and Sean McKenna were hired to drive players to the game. All the players had been notified by post that the cars would leave the square at 2.00pm.


Sun. 6th May at Milltown: Milltown 7-a-side blitz (for Corn Uí Laoghaire). 15 of the registered 16 teams competed, including Dr. Crokes ‘A’ and ‘B’, Ballymacelligott ‘A’ and ‘B’, Valentia, Kilcummin, Laune Rangers, John Mitchels, Milltown/Castlemaine. Proceedings commenced at 12.00 noon. Games were of ten minutes per half duration. There was no entry fee but all the players had to pay the usual entry fee at the gate. In the event of a draw, extra time was played, the first team to score being deemed the winner. Dr. Crokes ‘A’ and Valentia reached the final. However, Valentia said that they had to go before the final in order to get the ferry. The local organising team appointed Milltown/Castlemaine in their place. Crokes won the final.


Gneeveguilla Tournament final at Gneeveguilla: Laune Rangers drew with Gneeveguilla.

The replay was not played until 1963 and Laune Rangers won it.


Co. Minor Championship

The competition was run on a losers’ round basis.


1st Rd. on Wed. 25th April at Killorglin: Mid-Kerry lost to Castleisland Desmonds.

Ref: Colm Kennelly (Killarney).

Losers’ Rd. on Thurs. 28th June at Tralee: Austin Stacks lost to Mid-Kerry.

Quarter-final on Wed. 25th July at Killarney: Mid-Kerry beat Kenmare.

Co. Semi-final on Sun. 19th Aug. at Killarney: Mid-Kerry beat Castleisland.

Ref: Johnny Culloty (Legion).


Final on Wed. 29th Aug. at Tralee: North-Kerry 2-10; Mid-Kerry 0-3.

North-Kerry experienced little difficulty in beating Mid-Kerry in Austin Stack Park, Tralee in the Co. Minor football final. There was very little between the sides in the first quarter. In fact, at the end of that period, Mid-Kerry led by 0-2 to 0-1. But then, the North-Kerry boys gradually began to take control. In the sixteenth minute Tony Barrett, who had moved out to the forty, lobbed in a high ball and corner-forward, Eamonn O Donoghue, availed of a defensive slip to shoot an opportunist goal. Mid-Kerry replied with a point but in the twentieth minute North-Kerry goaled again. Barrett centred, Colm O Callaghan broke the ball down to Mick Sheehy, who kicked cleverly past goalkeeper Bob Finn. At halftime, North-Kerry led by 2-4 to 0-3.

There was never any doubt about the outcome in the second half. North-Kerry monopolised play and, had their forwards been in shooting form, they would have run up a far greater tally. Time and again they kicked wide from good positions. The football during the hour gave the spectators little to enthuse about. North-Kerry played some fine, constructive football at times but their finishing, particularly in the second half, was atrocious. Mid-Kerry can have no excuses. They were well beaten after the first quarter.

North-Kerry had a fairly sound defence. Kieran O Connor, after a quiet first half, made some good clearances in the second half, as did Eric Browne, alongside him in the fullback line. Frank Murray had a grand game at left halfback, whilst John McCarthy, in the centre, impressed too. Midfielder John Flavin also played his part in the victory. The county minor, Jim Corridan, came on as a substitute at midfield in the second half. All six North-Kerry forwards were kept well supplied. Colm O Callaghan kicked some grand points, whilst Eamonn O Donoghue, Mick Sheehy, a real danger-man in the corner, and industrious Tony Barrett also made good use of the ball. North Kerry lined out without Paudie O Donoghue, the county minor.

The outstanding player on the Mid-Kerry team was undoubtedly half-forward, Seamus Curran. He played his heart out and was ever trying to get his forwards moving. Fullback, Bob Spring, halfbacks Paddy Kelliher and Enda Scully, and Dan Griffin and Michael O Connor, in attack, were the pick of the rest.

North-Kerry: M. McMahon, David Walsh, Kieran O Connor, Eric Browne, P. Purtil, John McCarthy, Frank Murray, F. Chute (0-1), John Flavin (0-1), Colm O Callaghan (0-3), T. Mulvihill (0-1), Paddy Kennelly, Eamonn O Donoghue (1-0), Tony Barrett (0-3), Mick Sheehy (1-1).

Mid-Kerry: Bob Finn (Glenbeigh), Gabriel McCarthy (Milltown/Castlemaine), Bob Spring (do.), Patsy Joy (Laune Rangers), T. Foley, Enda Scully (Glenbeigh), Pat Kelliher, Mike O Sullivan (Glenbeigh), Pat Ferris (Laune Rangers), Seamus Curran (do.) 0-2, Tim Kelliher, Michael O Connor, Kevin Griffin (Glenbeigh) 0-1, Dan Griffin (Laune Rangers), Dermot O Riordan.

Ref: Joe Kerins (Tralee).


Mid-Kerry Minor Championship


Rd. 1at Killorglin: Laune Rangers 4-4; Keel 0-0.

Semi-final on Tues. 21st Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers beat Milltown/Castlemaine.

Ref: Des O Connor (Glenbeigh).

Final on Tues. 28th Aug. at Killorglin: Laune Rangers beat Glenbeigh.

Laune Rangers did not concede a goal in the competition. The team included fullback and captain, John Joy (Annadale), Pat Ferris, Dan Griffin, Patsy Joy, Seamus Curran, Michael Foley (Anglont), William Kennedy, Stephen Corkery, Steve Joe Cahillane, Tom Curtayne.


Mid-Kerry U-14 Football Championship


The Juvenile Championship was run along the same lines as the Senior Championship. Glenbeigh, Laune Rangers and Caragh Lake/Cromane were in one group, but with only one team to qualify for the final. Caragh Lake/Cromane were given permission to select from the Glencuttane, Caragh Lake and Cromane National Schools.

Rd. 1 on 8th June at Glenbeigh: Laune Rangers beat Glenbeigh.

Rd. 2 on Mon. 9th July at Killorglin: Caragh Lake/Cromane beat Laune Rangers.

At a subsequent Mid-Kerry Board meeting, an objection by Laune Rangers to Caragh Lake/Cromane was upheld. The Laune Rangers delegates proved that Caragh Lake/Cromane had played three overage players, Patsy Hassett, Jimmy Foley and Michael Moriarty. On the proposition of the Laune Rangers’ delegates, it was agreed to replay the game. In future, lists of juvenile players must be handed to the Board Secretary, having been signed by a priest.

Replay on 2nd Sept. at Killorglin: Caragh Lake/Cromane beat Laune Rangers.

Once again, Laune Rangers objected to Caragh Lake/Cromane and once again the objection was upheld and Laune Rangers were awarded the game. However, Laune Rangers volunteered to replay the game with Caragh Lake/Cromane. That game was not played until April 1963.

Schools’/Colleges’ Football


A new football competition for smaller Secondary Schools was started, on a knockout system – the finalists of which would enter at the semi-final stage of the Dunloe Cup (Kerry Colleges Junior Football Championship). There were six entrants: Intermediate School, Killorglin; CBS Cahersiveen; CBS Dingle; St. Patrick’s, Castleisland; St. Michael’s, Listowel and St. Ita’s, Abbeyfeale.

Rd. 1 at Killorglin: Intermediate School, Killorglin 2-5; CBS, Cahersiveen 4-3.


Sun. 13th May at Killarney, Final of Dunloe Cup: St. Brendan’s 6-9; Castleisland 0-4.

St. Brendan’s panel: Larry Kelly, P. Galvin, Willie O Dwyer (1-0), Brian McCarthy (3-4), Paddy Kennelly (capt.) 0-3, Seamus Curran (Laune Rangers), Billy Nolan, Dan O Dwyer, J. Lawlor, Tom Crean, J. Brosnan, Mícheál O Shea, Tony Behan, Michael O Doherty, T. Hanlon (0-1), A. Culligan (2-1), J. Fitzgibbons, Jerry McCarthy, A. Lewis, Din Joe Crowley.


In Nov. Cahersiveen CBS beat the Intermediate School in Corn Chiarrai (Kerry Colleges U-18 Football Championship).


Sun. 18th Nov. Munster Colleges Senior Football Championship Rd. 2:

The Seminary, Killarney 2-10; CBS, Tralee 1-4.

Seamus Curran played at right halfback.


Munster U-21 Football Championship


Final on Sun. 9th Dec. at Kenmare: Kerry 2-7; Cork 1-4.

This was the first year of the competition. The All-Ireland series had not yet commenced. Pat Ahern played very well.

Kerry: Pete Hanley (Kenmare), J.J. Barrett (Austin Stacks), Batty Galvin (Waterville), Pa Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), Paudie O Donoghue (Ballylongford), Joe O Driscoll (Castlegregory), Mick Fleming (Currow), Denis O Sullivan (Kerins O Rahillys), Weeshie Fogarty (Legion), Seamus Roche (John Mitchels), Derry O Shea (do.), Dom O Donnell (do.), Roddy O Donnell (do.), John O Shea (do.). Subs: Declan Lovett for J.J. Barrett; J.J. Barrett for D. Lovett, Kieran O Connor (Tarbert), T. O Connor, Batty Burns (Sneem), Jimmy Mahony (John Mitchels).

Cork: R. Crowley, Donal Kehilly, J. McGrath, Des Nagle, John O Donoghue, Eugene O Connor, H. Harrington, Brendan Larkin, Ned Coughlan, Paddy Barry, D. Barrett, P. Harte, M. Archer, Mick Burke, T. Monaghan. Sub: Frank Cogan for P. Barry.


Munster Junior Football Championship


Rd. 1 on Sun. 29th April at Castleisland: Kerry 2-13; Waterford 4-1.

Pat Ahern played at right corner-forward and scored 0-4.

Kerry: M. Rahilly (Ballymac), John Healy (Emmett’s), Alan Conway (John Mitchels), Louis Nolan (Legion), Sean Óg Sheehy (John Mitchels), Jer D. O Connor (Ballydonoghue), Pa Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), Harry Burke (John Mitchels), Teddy O Sullivan (Ballyduff), Michael Walsh (Kerins O Rahillys), Joe O Driscoll (Aunascaul), Paddy O Shea (Dr. Crokes), Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), M. Walsh (Asdee), Seamus Roche (John Mitchels). Subs: Bobby Buckley (Ballyheigue), Mick O Donoghue (Desmonds), Batty Galvin (Waterville), Des O Connor (Glenbeigh), Bernie O Callaghan (Moyvane).


Semi-final on Sun. 3rd June at the Ennis Rd. Grounds, Limerick: Limerick 0-7; Kerry 0-3.

Kerry: Pete Hanley` (Kenmare), Batty Galvin (Waterville), John Healy (Emmetts), Paddy Sayers (John Mitchels), Sean Og Sheehy (John Mitchels), Bobby Buckley (Ballyheigue), Teddy O Sullivan (Ballyduff), Jer D. O Connor (Ballydonoghue), Harry Burke (John Mitchels), Bernie O Callaghan (Moyvane), Seamus Roche (John Mitchels), Paddy O Shea (Dr. Crokes), Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), M. Walsh (Asdee), Billy McCarthy (Ardfert). Subs: Pa Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), Michael Walsh (do.), Joe Driscoll (Camp), Des O Connor (Glenbeigh), Bryan McMahon (Emmetts).


Munster/All-Ireland Senior Football Championship

For a tournament game versus Cork in Abbeyfeale on Sun. 22nd April, Noel Lucey (Air Corps) played at midfield for Kerry and Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers) was a sub. For a tournament game in Listowel on Sun. 20th May, Noel Lucey was chosen at left halfback and Pat Ahern was first sub. For a tournament game against Meath on Sun. 3rd June at Tipperary Town, Noel Lucey was chosen at left halfback and Jimmy Lucey was a substitute.


Semi-final on Sun. 24th June at Listowel: Kerry 2-18; Waterford 2-6.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty (Legion), Kevin Coffey (Beaufort), Niall Sheehy (John Mitchels), Tim Lyons (Cordal), Sean Og Sheehy (John Mitchels), Noel Lucey (Laune Rangers), Mick O Dwyer (Waterville), Mick O Connell (Valentia), Jimmy Lucey (Laune Rangers), Dave Geaney (Desmonds), Seamus Murphy (Annascaul), Seamus Roche (John Mitchels), Dan McAuliffe (Duagh), Tom Long (Dr. Crokes), Paudie Sheehy (John Mitchels). Subs: Alan Conway (John Mitchels), John Healy (Emmett’s), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Gary McMahon (Emmett’s), Jer Burke (Desmonds), Jer D. O Connor (Ballydonoghue), Donie O Sullivan (Dr. Crokes).


Final on Sun. 15th July at the Athletic Grounds, Cork: Kerry 4-8; Cork 0-4.

Noel Lucey played at centre halfback – he was sent off with Joe O Sullivan, Cork, after a fracas. Jimmy Lucey scored a point from midfield.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty, Donie O Sullivan, Niall Sheehy, Tim Lyons, Seamus Murphy (Annascaul), Noel Lucey, Mick O Dwyer, Mick O Connell, Jimmy Lucey, Dave Geaney, Gene O Driscoll, Sean Óg Sheehy, Dan McAuliffe, Tom Long, Paudie Sheehy. Subs: Kevin Coffey, Seamus Roche, Jerry O Riordan, Gary McMahon, JJ Barrett.


Semi-final on Sun. 5th Aug. at Croke Park: Kerry 2-12; Dublin 0-10.

Jimmy Lucey, at midfield, played well. He and Mick O Connell were not yet midfield twins, as each were inclined to play his own game. Pat Ahern was one of the five substitutes chosen.

Kerry: Johnny Culloty, Donie O Sullivan, Niall Sheehy, Tim Lyons, Sean Og Sheehy, Seamus Murphy, Mick O Dwyer, Mick O Connell, Jimmy Lucey, Dan McAuliffe, Timmy O Sullivan, Jerry O Riordan, Gary McMahon, Tom Long, Paudie Sheehy. Subs: Dave Geaney, Seamus Roche, JJ Barrett, Pat Ahern, T. O Shea.

Jimmy Lucey and Noel Lucey in training in Killarney for the All-Ireland Senior Football Final 1962

Jimmy Lucey and Noel Lucey in training in Killarney for the All-Ireland Senior Football Final 1962

Final on Sun. 23rd Sept. at Croke Park: Kerry 1-12; Roscommon 1-6.

Jimmy Lucey played well at midfield, though he and Mick O Connell still worked as individuals rather than as a pair, like Con Brosnan and Bob Stack. In the first minute of the match, he made an extraordinary mistake. He fielded a loose ball and gave an almighty kick in the direction of his own posts, which nearly led to trouble but the danger was averted. Noel Lucey, at centre half-back, held E. Curley well and the Roscommon sharp-shooter, who looked the pick of the attack, had not a solitary flag to his credit. Pat Ahern was listed as an official sub but, though twenty-one medals were awarded, he did not receive one – it was given to somebody else!

Kerry: Johnny Culloty, Seamus Murphy, Niall Sheehy, Tim Lyons, Sean Og Sheehy (capt), Noel Lucey, Mick O Dwyer, Jimmy Lucey, Mick O Connell, Dan McAuliffe, Timmy O Sullivan, Jerry O Riordan, Gary McMahon, Tom Long, Paudie Sheehy. Subs: Kevin Coffey for T. Lyons, JJ Barrett for D. McAuliffe, Dave Geaney, Seamus Roche, Donie O Sullivan, Pat Ahern.                                      .

A noteworthy feature of that victory was that there were three Sheehy brothers on the team – Niall, Seán Óg and Paudie. That was the first time since 1893 that three brothers were on an All-Ireland winning team. Furthermore, Seán Óg was the first son of a previous winning captain to receive the Sam Maguire Cup. That was Kerry’s 20th All-Ireland Senior Championship success.

The Laune Pipers Band had made plans to travel to Dublin for the weekend and to march through O Connell St. to Croke Park. However, some administrative hitch foiled the attempt.

Pat O Shea, Rangue, drove his Morris Minor car to the game, bringing with him as passengers James Coffey, Connie Lucey and, possibly, Denis O Neill. Connie carried a pup with him that he had promised to somebody in Dublin.

Noel Lucey protects Johnny Culloty in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final in 1962

Noel Lucey protects Johnny Culloty in the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Final in 1962

Kerry Senior Football Team – All-Ireland Champions 1962

Kerry Senior Football Team – All-Ireland Champions 1962
Front (l to r): Pat Ahern (Laune Rangers), Johnny Culloty (Legion), Gary McMahon (Listowel), Dave Geaney (Castleisland).
2nd Row: Tadhg Crowley (Sec. Co. Board), Mick O Dwyer (Waterville), Sean Óg Sheehy (John Mitchels) capt., Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan (Trainer), Paudie Sheehy (John Mitchels), Seamus Murphy (camp), Dr. Jim Brosnan (Chairman Co. Board).
3rd Row: Paddy Bawn Brosnan (Selector), Jerry O Riordan (Glenbeigh), Timmy O Sullivan (Castleisland), Jimmy Lucey (Laune Rangers), Kevin Coffey (Beaufort), Tim Lyons (Cordal), Tom Long (Dr. Crokes), Rev. Fr. Curtin (Selector).
Back: Johnny Walsh (Selector), Dan McAuliffe (Duagh), Joe Barrett (Austin Stacks), Noel Lucey (Laune Rangers), Mick O Connell (Valentia), Niall Sheehy (John Mitchels), Seamus Roche (do), John Joe Sheehy Selector).

Triumphant Home-coming to Kerry in 1962 – Noel and Jimmy Lucey

Triumphant Home-coming to Kerry in 1962 – Noel and Jimmy Lucey


Grounds’ Tournament

That competition was played between the semi-finalists of the All-Ireland Championship, but the order of the provincial winners was changed.


Semi-final on Sun. 7th Oct. at Croke Park: Kerry drew with Cavan.

Noel Lucey played at centre halfback and Jimmy Lucey partnered Mick O Connell at midfield. Pat Ahern was a sub.


Semi-final (replay) on Sun. 28th Oct. at Croke Park: Kerry 5-4; Cavan 1-10.

Jimmy Lucey gave great assistance to Mick O Connell at midfield and Cavan were forced to take off his marker, Tom Lynch. Noel Lucey, at centre-halfback, was off-colour on the day. Pat Ahern was a sub.


Final at Croke Park: Kerry 0-14; Dublin 0-7.

Jimmy Lucey, at midfield, was often bettered by the body-swerving Joe Timmons but he flashed into action at intervals with most rewarding results. His ground-gaining kicks often turned defence into attack. Pat Ahern, who had been brought into the side at left corner-forward due to the defection of Noel Lucey from the original selection, linked up beautifully with Dave Geaney on occasions.


National Football League 1962/’63.


Rd. 1 on Sun. 14th Oct. at Dr. Cullen Park, Carlow: Carlow 2-6; Kerry 1-17.

Noel Lucey played at centre halfback, Jimmy Lucey at midfield and Pat Ahern at left corner-forward.


Rd. 2 on Sun. 18th Nov. at Naas: Kildare 0-6; Kerry 0-6.

Noel Lucey gave an impeccable display at centre halfback and Pat Ahern played at left corner-forward.




Hugh Byrne, Wicklow, was Uachtarán CLG.

At the Annual Congress in the Gresham Hotel, Dublin, permission was given to RTE to televise games provided half the commentary was done in Irish (Later in the year, Central Council gave permission to broadcast the All-Ireland semi-finals and finals). A motion to remove the ban on foreign games was defeated by 266 votes to 6.


Munster Convention was held in Thurles on 3rd March. Pat Fanning, Port Lairge was elected Chairman, Sean McCarthy, Ciarraí was Secretary and Willie Hough, Luimneach was Treasurer. It was decided to inaugurate an U-21 Munster football competition.


The Annual Convention of the Kerry Co. Board was held on Sun. 28th Jan. in the Glebe Hotel, Killarney. John Foley and James Coffey represented Laune Rangers Club. The following officers were elected: President – Dr. Eamonn O Sullivan (Son of J. P. O Sullivan, he succeeded Canon Lyne, who had died); Chairman – Dr. Jim Brosnan; Vice-Chairman – Leo Stack; Secretary – Tadhg Crowley; Treasurers – Tadhg Prendiville (137) Pat O Meara (121), both elected, James Coffey (62); Delegates to Munster Council – John Joe Sheehy and Con Brosnan; Delegate to Central Council – Mícheál Ó Ruairc (123) elected, Michael Begley (38).

Senior Selection Committee: Johnny Walsh (Ballylongford) 151 votes, John Joe Sheehy (John Mitchels) 141 votes, Paddy Bawn Brosnan (Dingle) 132, Murt Kelly (Beaufort) 117 and Rev. Father Denis Curtin (Ardfert) 103, all elected, Sean McCarthy (88), Donie Sheehan (73). John Dowling and Jackie Lyne did not seek re-election. (James Coffey had been nominated for Senior Selector but withdrew his name).

Laune Rangers had three motions on the agenda:

  1. ‘That Bye Law 20 be amended and that the Co. Minor Football Championship be run on the same system as the Co. Senior Championship.’ The motion was moved by James Coffey and passed.
  2. ‘That Laune Rangers be allowed to enter a senior and minor team in the Co. Championship.’ Motion withdrawn.
  3. ‘That Bye Law 15 be amended and the present senior hurling selection committee be returned unopposed.’ Motion withdrawn.

A motion from Ballybunion GAA club seeking to get rid of the ban was beaten by 70 votes to nil.

A motion from Castleisland Desmonds, seeking to have the Co. Championship on a knock-out basis, was carried.

A motion from Cumann Naomh Fhionnáin, Killarney, seeking to allow the District Board Chairmen to be members of the Co. Board, was carried.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 10th Dec. 1961. Father Kelly, Chairman, presided. (The Secretary’s report is given at the end of 1961). In his address, the Chairman welcomed the delegates to the convention. Judging by the fine attendance, there was great interest in the GAA affairs in Mid-Kerry. He paid tribute to the fine work of the committees of the J. P. O Sullivan and Paddy Burke Parks in erecting two fine playing pitches in the area. He said that those pitches should provide the means for raising the standard of football in the area to a higher level. Continuing, Father Kelly paid tribute to the officers of the board for the hard work they had been putting into the running of affairs in the area. He said that the year had been full of activity because the Mid-Kerry teams had taken part in numerous challenge games as well as a tournament and the Co. Championship. At home, all games in the three grades had been played off and all this had taken up the time of the officers. He said that during the year delegates at meetings had their quarrels but he did not mind that because meetings were the places to air differences and when a delegate says what he thinks, he shows the interest he has in the affairs of the Board. He said that even though they did not win any championship during the year, we could still feel proud of the achievement of our teams. The senior team, after beating South Kerry, had been unlucky not to have qualified for the county semi-final and the minors, with a little more coaching, could have had retained their title. He hoped that in 1962 they would go further and win out the title. Concluding, he thanked all those who had helped the board in any way during the year.

The Treasurer, Pat O Shea, in his report, showed a credit balance of £25-12-0, with some bills still outstanding. On the proposition of Murt Kelly, seconded by John Burke, the Secretary’s and Treasurer’s reports were adopted.

Election of officers:

Chairman – Rev. Father Brian Kelly, Glenbeigh. Vice-Chairman – Rev, Father McCloskey, Milltown. Secretary – James Coffey, Laune Rangers. Assistant Secretary – Michael Shanahan, Beaufort. Treasurer – Ned O Shea, Keel (Pat O Shea, outgoing, did not seek re-election). Delegate to Co. Board – Murt Kelly, Beaufort.

There were twenty-two motions on the ‘clár’ and the following were passed:

  1. ‘That a knockout championship be played between the clubs for the Laune Rangers Cup, commencing on the second Saturday in March.’
  2. ‘That a seven-a-side competition be started – the Kelliher Cup to be presented to the winners. (The running of the competition was referred to the Board).
  3. ‘That all senior fixtures be arranged so that the final will be played not later than the first Sunday in September.’
  4. ‘That the Minor Championship be played on the same basis as the Senior Championship.’
  5. ‘That at least one round of the Minor Championship be played before the Co. Minor Championship commences.’
  6. ‘That all selectors be notified re picking of teams.’
  7. ‘That players be allowed on Mid-Kerry Selection Committee.’
  8. ‘That a panel of referees be set up and a meeting called with the referees and at least three members of the Board to discuss rules etc.’
  9. ‘That an U-16 Championship be held.’
  10. ‘That no team be compelled to play on week evenings.’
  11.  ‘That, unless a team has a very good excuse (outings, F.C.A, injured players not an excuse), it be fined £2 should it fail to fulfil a Sunday engagement, without giving at least five days notice.’
  12. ‘That the Board do something about getting support for local candidates for Co. Convention.’
  13. ‘That Laune Rangers be given permission to enter the Co. Championship.’ This was the subject of a long discussion. The Board decided that it could not forbid them from entering but would not encourage them to do so.


Six Mid-Kerry Board meetings were held during the year.

The meeting on 27th Feb. in the CYMS Hall was presided over by Father Kelly. The Secretary told the meeting that £45-17-6 was due to Mangan Jewellers for the 1961 medals and the 1960 minor medals. It was proposed by Pat O Shea, and seconded by Willie Burke, to pay the bill after the Shrove Tuesday dance. Caragh Lake/Cromane affiliated with the Board for 1962 and was accepted. There was a notice of motion from Laune Rangers Club, proposed by Pat O Shea and seconded by James Coffey, that ‘since a sixth team is entering for this year’s competition, the Board divide the teams into two groups of three teams – the top two teams in each group to qualify for the semi-finals, the winners of one group to meet the runners-up of the other group and vice versa. The final would be between the two winners.’ Speaking on the motion, Pat O Shea said that the new system would save time, cut down expenses and create a greater interest in the games. The Laune Rangers Cup would be run in the following manner: a) The first team out of the hat would have home venue. b) The three losers would play off and the winning team would qualify for the semi-finals with the first round winners. c) In the losers’ group, where two teams have played their first round games away, they will meet at a neutral venue. If one team played a game away and the other a home game in the first round, the team that played away would have a home venue in the second round. Milltown/Castlemaine minor and senior teams would be presented with their medals at 10.30pm in the Oisín Ballroom on Shrove Tuesday night. All clubs were asked to do everything to make the dance a success. A vote of sympathy was passed to the Mangan family, Dromin, on the death of their mother (proposed by Father Kelly and seconded by Father McCloskey). The delegates offered the final prayer for the repose of her soul. The other meetings were mainly for the purpose of fixtures –making.


The minutes of six Laune Rangers Club meetings are available, all of which were held in the CYMS Hall.

After a long discussion at the meeting on 29th Dec. 1961, at which John Foley presided, it was decided not to enter the Co. Championship as a club.

The meeting on 26th Jan. 1962, presided over by John Foley, decided not to object to Caragh Lake/Cromane entering a team in the Mid-Kerry League but the club would not give transfers to any player outside the Cromane/Caragh Lake areas. Arrangements were made for the Beer Drinkers’ Ball.

John Foley presided at the meeting on Fri. 2nd Feb. Also in attendance were James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Batty Foley, Denis O Neill, Michael Hurley, Sean McKenna and Patsy Hurley. It was agreed to subscribe £1 to the Fitzgerald Stadium Fund. It was also decided to have a raffle for a suit-length or £15. Tickets would cost 1/- and would be sold all over the area. A house-to-house canvass would be made. The draw would take place at the dance in the Oisín Ballroom on 17th March.

Present at the meeting on 16th Feb. were John Foley (Chairman), James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Batty Foley, Christy O Riordan, Denis O Neill, Sean McKenna, Denis Harris, Teddy Mangan and Michael Hurley. It was decided to approach the Field Committee with a view to enclosing the pitch as soon as possible. It was decided to ask the Mid-Kerry Board not to make fixtures for 11th March involving Laune Rangers due to the basketball blitz in Killarney.

John Foley presided over the meeting on 12th June, at which the following also attended: James Coffey, Pat O Shea, Batty Foley, Sean Foley and Patsy Hurley. Pat O Shea proposed a vote of sympathy, seconded by John Foley, to James Coffey on the death of his mother. Arrangements and draws for the seven-a-side parish league were made. The following stewards were appointed for the Mid-Kerry v South Kerry game: Ticket sellers – Bertie Harmon and Patsy Hurley, main gate – Timmy Cronin, side road – Sean Foley and Donal O Brien, pitch gate – Mike McMahon, small pitch gate – Patsy Cronin.

The final meeting of the year was held on 13th Sept. John Foley presided. Also in attendance were James Coffey, Batty Foley, Teddy Mangan, Denis O Neill, Pat Ferris, Paudie Foley, Pat O Shea, Billy Dodd, Paddy Foley and Patsy Hurley. The All-Ireland Football Final tickets were distributed as follows:

Hogan Stand – Paddy Foley, Pat O Shea, John Foley and James Coffey.

Cusack Stand – Batty Foley and Denis O Neill.

Nally Stand – Patsy Joy and Patsy Hurley.

If an extra ticket became available, it would be given to Sean McKenna. If a drawn member refused to take his ticket, it would be given to Billy Dodd or Sean Foley.

James Coffey proposed and Denis O Neill seconded a vote of sympathy to Batty Foley and Michael O Riordan on the deaths of their mothers. Brendan Mangan was congratulated on his marriage and Milltown/Castlemaine were congratulated on winning the Mid-Kerry Senior Championship.


Due to the resurfacing of the J.P. O Sullivan Park and the unavailability of a field convenient to the town, the club was forced to venture as far as Cloon, where a field was rented from Paddy Sheehy. Many interesting games were played there until the re-opening of the Park in April.


The club’s Annual Social was held on Thurs. 26th April in the Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney.


Willie O Neill won the London Intermediate Championship and League with the Kingdom Club, London.


In Nov. the death occurred of Patsy Begley, Ballykissane, at the grand old age of 103. He had been an active participant in the games of the Laune Rangers at the dawn of their history. His death severed the last link with the team that first represented Kerry in the All-Ireland Football Final of 1892 (played on 26th March 1893), though he had not played in that game.


James Coffey refereed the following games for the Kerry Co. Board:

Thurs. 26th July, MHC at Killorglin: South-Kerry lost to Lixnaw.

Sun. 29th July, SFC at Killarney: Killarney 4-3; West-Kerry 4-10.


After an absence of three years, Kerry regained the Munster Minor Championship by defeating Waterford and Cork. After a narrow victory over Offaly by 1-7 to 1-6 in the semi-final, they ran riot against Mayo in the final and won by 6-5 to 0-7.

Kerry: Seamus Mac Gearailt (An Ghaeltacht), Declan Lovett (Kilmoyley), Kieran O Connor (Tarbert), Seanie Burrows (John Mitchels), Ted Fitzgerald (do.), Paudie O Donoghue (Ballylongford), Henry ‘Bruddy’ Burrows (John Mitchels), Denis O Sullivan (Kerins O Rahillys), Tom Doyle (Castleisland), Jimmy O Mahony (John Mitchels) capt. Tony Barrett (Ballyduff), Derry O Shea (John Mitchels), John Flavin (Ballylongford), Roddy O Donnell (John Mitchels), Tom Mulvihill (Moyvane). Subs: Eric Brown (Listowel), Jim Corridan (do.), T.P. Ó Conchubhair (Ballydavid), Paddy Kennelly (Ballylongford), Enda Scully (Glenbeigh). John McCarthy (Ballylongford), although selected, did not play.


Kerry won the first U-21 Munster Football Championship. Having received a walk-over from Limerick in the first round, they defeated Clare by 1-6 to 0-8 in Kilrush and Cork in Kenmare in the final by 2-7 to 1-4.

Kerry: Pete Hanley (Kenmare), JJ Barrett (Austin Stacks), Batty Galvin (Waterville), Pa Kerins (Kerins O Rahillys), Pat Ahern (Ballymac), Paud O Donoghue (Ballylongford), Tim O Driscoll (West-Kerry), Mick Fleming (Currow), Denis O Sullivan (Kerins O Rahillys), Weeshie Fogarty (Legion), Seamus Roche (John Mitchels), Derry O Shea (do.), Dom O Donnell (do.), Roddy O Donnell (do), John Thorny O Shea (do.). Sub: Declan Lovett (Kilmoyley), Kieran O Connor (Tarbert), Roddy O Donnell John Mitchels), Batty Burns (Sneem), Jimmy O Mahony (John Mitchels), T. O Connor.


Dermot O Donoghue, ex-N.T. died suddenly during the weekend of 27th/28th January. He had been the founder of the Scout Group of St. James in the parish in 1930. He was the first Scout-Master. The group won several scout trophies in athletics and scout craft. The group attended the Eucharistic Congress in Dublin in 1932 and travelled on a pilgrimage to Rome in 1934. World War 2 curtailed its movements and eventually it dispersed. Its members included Paud O Neill (Assistant Scout-Master), Denis Johnston, Tim McGillycuddy, Kevin Sheehan, Owen Costello, George and Tom Evans, Paddy Crowley, Denis Lynch, Kevin Foley, Tom O Leary and Denis O Neill, Lisheen, Milltown.


June 15th saw the introduction of compulsory bovine tuberculosis testing in Kerry – heretofore it was optional.


The Lenten Regulations for the year 1962 included the following:

The Law of Fast bound all the days of Lent except Sundays and St. Patrick’s Day. (Fasting meant one full meal per day and two collations, for people between the ages of 21years and 60 years).

The Law of Abstinence bound all Fridays, Ash Wednesday and the Wednesday of Quarter-Tense. (Abstinence meant no meat or its products, for people over 7 years of age).


In Nov. the death occurred suddenly of Frank Sheehy, Listowel, in Nigeria, where he had worked for fifteen months. He had been a former Chairman of the Kerry Co. Board and of the Munster Council and he had unsuccessfully contested for the position of Uachtarán CLG.

Gene Mangan, Iveragh Rd., cycled in the Rás Tailtean. He captained the seven-strong Kingdom team. He had won the Rás in 1955 and he had won four consecutive stages in 1958, but he had been under suspension during the three intervening years.


Killorglin CYMS won the Co. Senior Basketball title by beating ESB, Tralee in the final by 41 points to 34. The team was Denny O Reilly, Donal Prendiville, Jackie Kerins, Sean McKenna, Billy Dodd, Denis O Neill, Paudie Carroll, William O Reilly and Paul McMahon. The coach was Bobby O Reilly.


The AGM of the Mid-Kerry Board was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on Sun. 9th Dec. 1962. The Secretary, James Coffey, in his report stated that the 1962 season had been one of great activity in the area. A great improvement had been witnessed in the standard of football and all the competitions had been fought out with great enthusiasm and spirit and it had been a great pity that some of the players did not bring with them the same spirit into the Co. Championship and Kerryman Shield games. ‘It is a good job that these players are in the minority but, nevertheless, they were strong enough to cause the undoing of what could have been a very good Mid-Kerry senior team. These players, who failed to turn out for practice games or training during the year, should not be considered in the coming year unless this attitude changes. It is unfair to the players who, night after night, train for important games and it is also unfair to the Board, to see these players selected on the team. The selectors must, in the coming season, stamp out these players. More co-operation is needed from the players and clubs in regard to getting a fit team on the field. At the moment players are actually being spoon-fed by the Board and some clubs take little or no interest in the affairs of the Board,’ he continued. The Secretary said that if the players produced the proper spirit in the Co. Championship and if the clubs gave better co-operation, he would have no hesitation in saying that Mid-Kerry would go a long way in the 1963 Championship. He said, ‘What would have happened, had we our full team in Cahersiveen against South Kerry? We would have won and, who knows, we could have qualified for the concluding stages of the championship. Our minors surprised everyone by reaching the Co. Final. To get that far was a great effort on their part but they had the proper spirit and it was no disgrace to be beaten by a great North-Kerry team in the final. As stated before, there was a great improvement in the standard of football in the senior competitions. We will always remember the great Glenbeigh v Milltown/Castlemaine clashes and, especially, the replay of the Senior Championship semi-final between the sides, which was rated as one of the best games ever seen at the Killorglin venue. A reorganised Beaufort side  showed great promise in reaching the semi-final of the championship, while a new club – Cromane/Caragh Lake – deserve great credit for its efforts in fostering the game in that area. Once again Milltown/Castlemaine proved that they were the champion team in Mid-Kerry. They retained the Senior Championship at Laune Rangers’ expense and they also won, for the first time, the Laune Rangers’ Cup, at the expense of Glenbeigh, after a replay. Laune Rangers won the minor title by defeating Glenbeigh but the latter gained revenge by winning the first ever 7-a-side title. For the first time ever, the Juvenile Championship was not completed but we hope to have it played early next year. Gate receipts and attendances showed an increase on last year’s figures and the games are now attracting spectators from other areas. Year after year, the problem of referees is discussed at Convention but little is done to remedy it. If we do not make some effort to remedy the problem now, we will find it hard to get referees next season. I suggest that a sub-committee be set up to look into the matter and that committee will report back to the Board in February. I would like, at this stage, to thank the few referees we had, for officiating at games during the year. It is all too seldom that referees are thanked and it is only right that they should get whatever help they need from the Board.’ The Secretary congratulated Noel and Jimmy Lucey, Jerry O Riordan and Pat Ahern, who had won All-Ireland senior medals with Kerry. He thanked the gate collectors and stewards and players, who had played the game in such a fine sporting spirit during the year and, finally, he thanked Father Kelly for helping to make his job an easy one during the year.


The AGM of the Laune Rangers Club was held in the CYMS Hall, Killorglin on 6th January 1963. The Secretary, James Coffey, in his report stated that the year under review was again a disappointing one for the club. The fact that the seniors failed in the Championship final and in the Laune Rangers Cup did not make it disappointing but the poor spirit that was in the club was the biggest disappointment of all. He continued, “What has happened to the great club of a few years ago? Who is to blame for the poor spirit? I think that we must all shoulder the blame. There is too much work left to a few members and is it any wonder that these members are getting tired of the burden placed on their shoulders? The running of all functions of the club should be the responsibility of all the members but this is not so and we have only an average attendance of five at our meetings. How can the officers of the club carry on if every member is not going to give full co-operation? If this club is going to survive, we must get full backing from all the members and players and, at this stage, I appeal to the players and members to throw their weight behind the officers of the club in the coming year and help put back the club on the high pedestal it held for so long. In the past we had to contend with many difficulties, which threatened our teams’ survival but now we will have to overcome the greatest of all – TV. The difficulties, or should I say the evils, in the past were dancehalls, cinemas, snooker, cards and basketball, but now TV is making greater strides to outdo these. We are not afraid of TV as far as attendances at our games are concerned because I doubt if it will ever keep the keen enthusiasts of the games away from the playing fields. But what I am afraid of is, it will become an unhealthy practice for our youth, who will prefer to stay at home and watch it from 5pm on in the evenings. Surely our youthful players will be wise enough to realise that staying in on fine evenings during the spring and summer will be unhealthy for them. Surely they will be wise enough to realise that by doing so they will be neglecting the fine healthy pastime offered to them by the Gaelic Athletic Association. I appeal to them to get out to the playing pitches on the fine evenings and take part in the manly games offered to them by the GAA. This club caters for all ages as does the Mid-Kerry Board and, I hope that, after losing £5,000 in providing a proper playing field for the Gaels of the parish, it will not become a white elephant.

During the year, our senior team took part in nine Mid-Kerry games, as well as challenge and tournament games. We were defeated by Milltown/Castlemaine in the Championship Final and we also suffered defeat at their hands in the semi-final of the Laune Rangers Cup. We were defeated by Glenbeigh in the 7-a-side final, while we played a draw in the Gneeveguilla Tournament final. Our minors played three games and won out the title by defeating Glenbeigh in the final. They won the series without conceding a goal and many congratulations to them. Our juveniles are still in the running in their group and we wish them luck in future games.

My thanks to Mr. O Shea and the CYMS for the use of their halls, to Bertie Harmon, Tim Cronin and Patsy Cronin for their wonderful work during the year and finally to all those who helped in getting the O Sullivan Park ready for the games.”